Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Willoughby Court jumped 100% better today. He'll be a tough horse to pass in March.

Thanks
    Agreed. There was an awful lot to like about that yesterday. Just like last year though I suspect he'll go into the Festival underestimate compared to the big names from the big stables. The JLT is looking like a potential cracker.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Alan King is fuming apparently at people writing off Yanworth.

If Jamie the plonker Moore was riding him I would agree but the genius that is Barry Geraghty who is the best presenter of ahorse at a jump since John Francome was riding.

If he won't jump for barry then he won't jump for anyone.

No doubt Frank Berry has already called Yogi in an attempt to sort it out.

You can see the class is still there but trusting him is going to be difficult.

I still say the best we have seen over fences is Brain Power
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I'm starting to dislike Yanworth after yesterday, yes he made a mistake 2-3 out but jumping the last he looked to have all the chances and seemed ungenuine.. or he's not that good after all..

Thanks
    I'd say Footpad was the more impressive of the two on their respective chasing bows Tanlic. That said there was lot to like about both. Finians was pretty impressive as well and Tizard may well take him down the Arkle route too.

We've got some lovely novice chasers this season.

Thanks
    Yanworth was beaten two lengths by a horse that won the same race Yanworth was second in the previous season. He had ground to make up and made two mistakes in the home straight and wasn't far away at the line.

How on earth do you deem him as ungenuine from that?

Thanks
    His Neptune(Baring Novices) 2nd was way better than last season winner and he's an open company G1 horse over hurdles, he should've dispatched yesterday's winner in matter of strides. I haven't watch the replay but at the last he was right behind him then simply stopped trying. I guess I'm proving you right, people will continue to underestimate Willoughby Court but Yanworth was believed to be much better than yesterday.
    Last edited by Aughex; 2nd December 2017 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    I have to say ungenuine was a word that crossed my mind immediately after the race. He just didn't look like he wanted to go past Willoughby Court. However on reflection you have to make allowances for the fact that the winner is proven to respond exceptionally well to pressure and he picked up again as soon as Yanworth came within a couple of lengths.

In summary I wouldn't be writing Yanworth off just yet but Willoughby Court is a very likeable sort. My concern is that connections want to head down the JLT route but I'd have him in the RSA.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yanworth isn’t ungenuine......he just has zero turn of foot, and ran into a very game horse yesterday, who is a stout stayer.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks

Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Serious exhibition of jumping there by The Storyteller at Fairyhouse. Very impressed. Looks a natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kauto Abu; 2nd December 2017 at 2:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Mia's storm might be a fine fine mare. Elegant escape just put up a good display there

wonder is she going to Kempton
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Coo Star Sivola was behind those two fto when he badly needed it and ran well behind FO at Cheltenham. This year or next there's a big handicap in that horse.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Alan King is fuming apparently at people writing off Yanworth.

If Jamie the plonker Moore was riding him I would agree but the genius that is Barry Geraghty who is the best presenter of ahorse at a jump since John Francome was riding.

If he won't jump for barry then he won't jump for anyone.

No doubt Frank Berry has already called Yogi in an attempt to sort it out.

You can see the class is still there but trusting him is going to be difficult.

I still say the best we have seen over fences is Brain Power
    I agree about Brain Power but worry he needs to go right - handed to be seen at his best. 3 runs left handed at Aintree & Cheltenham twice and beaten 26L- 20L & 30L. I need to see him put in a great performance on a left handed track.
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Mia's storm might be a fine fine mare. Elegant escape just put up a good display there

wonder is she going to Kempton
    Mia's Storm - trainers target at the beginning of the season was The Mares Novice Chase Final at Cheltenham in April, he reckons she doesn't want soft ground.
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    I agree about Brain Power but worry he needs to go right - handed to be seen at his best. 3 runs left handed at Aintree & Cheltenham twice and beaten 26L- 20L & 30L. I need to see him put in a great performance on a left handed track.
    That could be down to the fact he wasn't fit when he ran in the Greatwood and the 2 Championship races came too early in his career.

I would be happier if Nico was riding him but that is unlikely being owned by Buckley
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    Mia's Storm - trainers target at the beginning of the season was The Mares Novice Chase Final at Cheltenham in April, he reckons she doesn't want soft ground.

Not a huge fan of the trainer. If she keeps going be criminal not to test her against the boys
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Presenting Percy was good yesterday - surprised they blew his handicap mark to that extent.

Given the pot that is the Irish National, i'd have aimed him that way

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Irish handicapper has rated Presenting Percy 157 for Sunday, one pound higher than Total Recall, up to 156.
    I wonder what Davy makes of it all.

Discuss.

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Irish handicapper has rated Presenting Percy 157 for Sunday, one pound higher than Total Recall, up to 156.
    I wonder what Davy makes of it all.

Discuss.
    He really should be running in the RSA with that rating. I think connections will see sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I'm only just getting into looking at the novice chasers (thanks to Newbury last weekend and Sandown this weekend) but it seems ratings for novices are coming in quite high.

It seems not too long ago that they rarely got much above 150 before Cheltenham and an RSA winner wold be doing well to get above 155 but now we're seeing ratings in the 150s and into the 160s quite regularly.

These are the top 10 novice chasers on RPRs, as published in the Weekender:

Finian's Oscar 163
    Brain Power 162
    Ballyoptic 161
    Black Corton 161
    Death Duty 160
    North Hill Harvey 160
    Presenting Percy 160
    Sceau Royal 158
    Rathvinden 157
    Willoughby Court 157

Are they being brought along more quickly nowadays with the ever-increasing importance of the Festival or were the historical ratings too low?
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 8th December 2017 at 8:25 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum