Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Racing Post new site.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    When I visited the site last night a box popped up asking me to rate the new site from 1 (shite, presumably) -10 (o man, this is just awwwsem, like).

I rated it 1 and this prompted the usual follow-up question about how they can improve it. I mentioned the new site had been mentioned on various forums and no-one seemed to have anything positive to say about it. I suggested parceling up the new site and sending it to fvck. (Or polite words to that effect.)
    I got the same pop up except my tolerance wasn't quite so high and I just told them it was ******* horrendous.
    You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Of course, the chances of their taking any criticism on board and actually doing anything are pretty slim.

One thing I do detect, maybe, is that one of my initial responses (before the one quoted above) referred to everything being so big. All text and graphics and bookie ads seemed huge [compared with before] and they seem to have reduced them a bit but it's still all a total dog's dinner of a site.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    They've completely missed the point that what punters need is a site designed to allow them move around the site with ease and take in information quickly.

To get an overview of what's running where on a busy day takes multiple times longer than it should, and forget about trying to scan entries for the next few days, you'd lose far too much time.

The data, analysis and ratings are generally useful but loading the race cards is far too slow and the new layouts make it more difficult to take in and digest information.

I honestly can't imagine anyone involved in designing the site has ever been a follower of racing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I honestly can't imagine anyone involved in designing the site has ever been a follower of racing.
    Yep, I mentioned that to them too.

I happened also to mention in a different communication (to the Weekender) about a year ago that whoever was involved in the editorial content of the paper was limited in their knowledge of what form students want. Their reply? They did a readers' survey before and the content reflected that. So the readers they canvassed - or those who replied to these surveys - are happy to have new OR lists omitted and published in the RP on a Thursday? Within a few weeks they reversed the decision so I presume I wasn't the only one to give the grief about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Seems the paper is going up to £3 at end of August

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good for them. I wouldn't use it to polish my hoop clean.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Seems the paper is going up to £3 at end of August
    I would have thought £3 per month is very reasonable....no idea what all the fuss is about
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Tits up again this morning - click on today's cards & all i get is yesterday's; the next option being tomorrow's.

Thanks
    Form struggling to load here,don't get me started on the tracker I could go on but its all been said many times - an utter pile of s*ite

Thanks
    I've gone from paying for the top subscription (under sufferance for what I needed), and using it heavily, to ditching it completely. It is complete and utter garbage. I didn't think it was possible, but the Sporting Life website is even worse.

The level of incompetence in both is quite staggering. In any decent size commercial organisation those responsible would have been fired long ago.

Thanks
    I've emailed the RP a link to this thread. We shall see if they take any heed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    'They' know what we want!

Ignorance.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    I've converted to the ATR site. It's not perfect but at least it's usable. Ashamed to say though will buy paper versions of the weekend Racing Post once the NH kicks in, but will make me feel dirty handing over £3...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can I ask, Perp.........what do you actually get from the paper?

The 3-Race form pages are useless for any sort of meaningful study, and the journalistic pieces are hackneyed and cliche-ridden drivel.

I don't see that there is anything worthwhile in the paper that you can't get elsewhere online, so.......why buy it?
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 11th August 2017 at 9:07 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    hated the new website, i dont subscribe myself, things have improved from my point of view, few little extras now, yes there are a few more clicks involved, would of preferred
    all the results on one page.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Can I ask, Perp.........what do you actually get from the paper?

The 3-Race form pages are useless for any sort of meaningful study, and the journalistic pieces are hackneyed and cliche-ridden drivel.

I don't see that there is anything worthwhile in the paper that you can't get elsewhere online, so.......why buy it?
    Mostly time pressures Grassy as spend the vast majority of my life either working or running around with four teenage boys. At weekends the rag can easily be read at football, rugby, waiting in the carpark etc. I’m also a bit of an old fart when it comes to technology so my work Blackberry’s not much use...

I’ll make time if having a significant wager or actually going racing and that will be online, but still buy the paper if attending so I can scribble all over it.

Thinking about it, the worst value in racing in Racing has to be racecards, which appear to be heading north of £4.00

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Perpetual For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (11th August 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I've gone from paying for the top subscription (under sufferance for what I needed), and using it heavily, to ditching it completely. It is complete and utter garbage. I didn't think it was possible, but the Sporting Life website is even worse.

The level of incompetence in both is quite staggering. In any decent size commercial organisation those responsible would have been fired long ago.
    Have to agree. I use a MacBook and it seems to constantly drop my login and ask me to log in again every time I open a race result and always when i click on the race analysis. Its so bad now but the competition is so poor and the one thing the RP has is a good database and decent race write ups/in running comments. Otherwise, I hate the RP site now and given a decent alternative, i'd be gone in a shot.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 11th August 2017 at 8:15 PM.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Thanks
    I use a combination of Irish Racing and Attherraces Aragorn. Neither is as good as the Racing Post database, but the interface on each is infinitely better. And neither make me feel like throwing the laptop or iPad into the nearest bin.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is it me or is it the RP site - it's telling me that there are no results for today's date?
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    It isn't you, Colin.