Page 87 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3777828384858687888990919297 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2332

Thread: The Long Shot Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    Kempton 2.05 Knockmaole Boy 40/1 - looks overpriced 10lbs lower than his hurdle mark and a solid run l/t/o - wouldn't be a surprise if he ran well.
    My kind of thinking, chef. Followed you in.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Handful View Post
    Needless to say I wasn't best pleased to see Croco Bay do what he did
    Sorry, DH.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel for you, DH.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Some decent ew bets in this.
    POTTERS CORNER 20/1 is my main bet,but needs a clear round,something he seems to find hard.
    FINAL NUDGE 40/1 is surely too big.
    REGAL FLOW 40/1 won last year and is only 2lb higher but hasnt shown anything this time.
    Potters Corner thank you very much. I hope you got my Private message as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (16th March 2019)

Thanks
    POTTERS CORNER 20/1 is my main bet,but needs a clear round,something he seems to find hard.
    REGAL FLOW 40/1 won last year and is only 2lb higher but hasnt shown anything this time.
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Splendid stuff once more from this thread.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As simmo says, another great result for the thread and, of course, yourself, Outsider. Brilliant stuff. My main bet was on Ms Parfois and the only thing I was worried about from some way out was the weight PC was getting and whether it would tell late in the race but knowing you were on it and that some of the guys on here would have followed you in was a comfort.

Well done, again.

I'll say something about Prime Venture in a moment.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Yes, I'm on Prime Venture too (got 22/1, blue, so presume it had been longer).

In the same race, I've also taken some beer money on Jetstream Jack 130/1 boosted (5pl - Hills will go 7 pl but only 66/1) - probably a better chance of winning at Crufts but he ran A Toi Phil to seven lengths in the G2 Florida Pearl Punchestown Novice Chase back in the day and ran well in a Grade B €50k handicap chase off 140 (approx 146 over here). Gordon Elliot got rid of him lst year and Ollie Murphy chased him after just two awful runs. Maybe the quieter surroundings of Sophie Leech’s place will spark some enthusiasm and off 128 with highly-touted Brace making the 9-7 he might think he’s running loose.
    I can't think of many horses trained by Evan Williams that I've backed this season but I backed two today and wasn't happy with either given the rides they got.

I have a history on here about whingeing about the way Paul Moloney used to nearly always try to win from the back, only very rarely employing different tactics. For me the rides State Of Play got cost him at least one Grand National.

It hadn't really occurred to decide not to back a Williams horse since Moloney retired but I did think Moloney was riding to instructions.

Adam Wedge won on De Rasher Counter for Emma Lavelle, coming from just off the front and I was encouraged for both Bold Plan and Prime Venture. Then both end up ridden - by Wedge - from back and wide. In deep ground.

As it turns out, and at the risk of aftertiming (but those who know me best know otherwise) I made more from backing Poker Play than I would have from Bold Plan so at least I'm not talking through my pocket. But the anorak in me would rather have seen BP win as it was a win-only bet.

I just can't get my head round why someone so long-established in the game would send out nearly every horse he has to be ridden from the back. You can get away with it in small fields because you're not giving away as much ground but in big fields in deep ground you're sentencing your horse to defeat.

I'm not suggesting it cost PV the race but it cost him the chance to be involved in the finish.

Jetstream Jack tried to come from further back but given his profile I was just happy that he jumped off and stayed in the race for a while. I then started to get mildly excited when he gradually started picking off the other tail-enders an at one point he must have been no more than about ten lengths off the pace but he stopped to noting late on. It was a big improvement and maybe Sophie Leech will get him back to something like his best in due course.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks lads.made my day(and week) had a bit at 29 on betfair and 33s in bet365 extra place market (1st/2nd)

I cant get my head round evan William's either.its not often I get it right with him.not a trainer I trust.

Thanks
    Well done Outsider. Just had to be Jonathan Davies’ horse with Wales winning the Grand Slam. Some day for the bloke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to viking For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I can't think of many horses trained by Evan Williams that I've backed this season but I backed two today and wasn't happy with either given the rides they got.

I have a history on here about whingeing about the way Paul Moloney used to nearly always try to win from the back, only very rarely employing different tactics. For me the rides State Of Play got cost him at least one Grand National.

It hadn't really occurred to decide not to back a Williams horse since Moloney retired but I did think Moloney was riding to instructions.

Adam Wedge won on De Rasher Counter for Emma Lavelle, coming from just off the front and I was encouraged for both Bold Plan and Prime Venture. Then both end up ridden - by Wedge - from back and wide. In deep ground.

As it turns out, and at the risk of aftertiming (but those who know me best know otherwise) I made more from backing Poker Play than I would have from Bold Plan so at least I'm not talking through my pocket. But the anorak in me would rather have seen BP win as it was a win-only bet.

I just can't get my head round why someone so long-established in the game would send out nearly every horse he has to be ridden from the back. You can get away with it in small fields because you're not giving away as much ground but in big fields in deep ground you're sentencing your horse to defeat.

I'm not suggesting it cost PV the race but it cost him the chance to be involved in the finish.

Jetstream Jack tried to come from further back but given his profile I was just happy that he jumped off and stayed in the race for a while. I then started to get mildly excited when he gradually started picking off the other tail-enders an at one point he must have been no more than about ten lengths off the pace but he stopped to noting late on. It was a big improvement and maybe Sophie Leech will get him back to something like his best in due course.
    I don't have a problem with them being ridden from the back but if you do that why the **** run wide as well - go the shortest way up the inside until you make your move. Bold Plan ran so much further than any other horse and is probably still well h'capped.
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    Had a small e/way tomorrow Wexford 4.00 Bay Of Freedom 28/1

http://www.cheltenhamdream.com/blog-diary/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Limerick 5.25 Simple Steps 25/1 small e/way - 3rd in this race last year but has a 7lb claimer on board - hasn't contested a chase since this race last year.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (18th March 2019)

Thanks
    Morning fellas,
    Was at Warwick a few weeks ago with my daughter just for a day out and didn't know anything about the runners as i've lost touch with the jumpers over recent years, anyway we each had a little EW bet on each race just for the fun of it, in one of the races my daughter picked Red Admirable as she thought it sounded like Red Admiral and she likes butterflies!
    Anyway i watched this old horse all the way round, pretty easy to spot as it was last over the 1st 2 miles with its joung jockey motionless, very gradually it started picking them off 1 by 1 creeping,creeping until turning into the staight was about 8th, girl still motionless, ran on into 5th about 2 out and i thought she has a chance of a place here, but over the last couldn't find any more finished in 5th.
    Well that race has really worker out very well, the winner Uno Mas had won previous 3 and close 2nd since from an 8lb higher mark, the 2nd Goodnight Charlie won nto from 6lb higher, the 3rd Stonebridge Legend has won 2 chases since last one from 6lb higher mark, and the 6th Motts Cross won nto.
    Pretty impressive form i'd say, also note that this horse broke a blood vessel which i think must have happened over the last 2 hurdles and but for that i'm sure would have finished 3rd or 4th.
    Ridden by Lily Pinchin that day, today reunited with cheltenham winning jockey Kielan Woods who won on this horse twice last season inc from todays mark at Taunton over 3m and again over this course over 2m4fs from 95, so horse obviously not short of pace.
    Anyway currently 25/1 hope this long winded write up is worth it!

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Simpson Jersey For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (19th March 2019), Grey (19th March 2019), Outsider (19th March 2019), Tabletop (19th March 2019), tiggers1972 (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Forgot to add that both My Turgeon 7/2 and Pray for a Rainbow 9/1 in todays race were both well behind in that Warwick race. My Turgeon came under a ride on the far side, was fairly close up before weakening before the straight, never noticed the other horse at all but both were a lot shorter in the betting then as well.

Thanks
    Nice run there Simpson, 3rd

Thanks
    Thanks tiggers, disapointed that it weakened from 2 out but held on for 3rd which should give the early risers a nice profit, traded under 4 on the win market so hopefully people saved their win stake.

Thanks
    Cheers, SJ, good ew shout.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well done,nice place.

Thanks
    With apologies in case anyone else has already mentioned this on the thread...

I've just taken 25/1 ew 5pl bog/nrnb Pairofbrowneyes for the Grand National.

It will be officially 9lbs well in on the day and I reckon once people latch on to that it will come in to 10s or less, regardless of how else its chances might shape up.

If it doesn't run, no harm done.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (21st March 2019), swedish chef (22nd March 2019)