Page 82 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3272777879808182838485868792 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2332

Thread: The Long Shot Thread

Thanks
    Top bombing d.o glad to see you back amongst the winners.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (3rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Well done Maurice. That’s a really good shout. The only thing that stopped me backing him was no preview or ratings!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    Well done Maurice. That’s a really good shout. The only thing that stopped me backing him was no preview or ratings!
    That's a shame, Maruco. He was 10lbs clear on my figures

(O ye of little faith...)
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 3rd March 2019 at 9:33 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks

Thanks
    Your inbox is full, by the way. I tried to message you.

Thanks
    Fontwell 3.10 Boru's Brook 33/1 - worth risking a fun bet on this horses form over the obstacles when there is soft or heavy in the going. Although 11yo he is lightly raced and has been running on the all weather for the past year. Before that he had 4 hurdle races winning two on heavy by 16L & 7L and pu In the other two on good. One of them against Might Bite in a class 2 earning these comments, "Tracked leader, pressed leader from 3 out, travelling well enough upsides when mistake and stumbled badly 2 out, soon pulled up and dismounted." In two chase races he won one on soft by 15L and was PU In a grade 2 at Haydock won by Bristol De Mai. He certainly had some good form on soft or heavy going and worth risking a fun bet at the price to see if a return to hurdles on soft/heavy can rekindle the enthusiasm.
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (6th March 2019), moehat (6th March 2019), Outsider (6th March 2019), simmo (6th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I've backed San Benedeto for the big race at Newbury on Saturday, 25/1 ew.

I have genuine G1 ratings for this on its best form and have put it up on the thread before only to end up putting it in the non-triers' thread

I have no idea if it will run or if this is the season's big target for it but I do know Nicholls targets the race and this is one of just three entries.

To be honest, though, I didn't have it at the forefront of my mind until I saw Paul Kealy headlining it so thought I'd better get on fast before it shortens up.
    Don't know how I missed this - I was at a university open day on Saturday but you posted this on Wednesday Well done D.O. well deserved.
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (6th March 2019)

Thanks
    Copied and pasted from the novices' thread:

I've taken a little fun-money on Benny's Bridge for the Supreme (66/1 ew nrnb/bog).

He's in the Imperial Cup on Saturday and seemingly being backed. I haven't looked at that race yet and won't manage to do so until some time of Friday afternoon but I imagine I'll end up betting him that too and expect him not to run again on Tuesday anyway. But I don't really expect him to make the cut for the County and I'm not sure what else he'll get into.

I think this is one seriously under-rated horse.

On the face of it, off 126 he should be half a furlong behind the likes of Al Dancer or Fakir in the Supreme.

However, on trials day when he won the handicap he ran final three flights at least 15 lengths faster than Fakir without seemngly being asked too serious a question. I reckon he probably wouldn't have run any faster after the last even if he'd been asked to but he made his ground from last at the top of the hill on the bit until joining the leaders at the last.

I wouldn't necessarily take that time comparison at face value but neither would I dismiss it out of hand.

His price reflects his current rating but I think he is an awful lot better than that.

There's no downside to the bet so I'm happy to play.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (9th March 2019)

Thanks
    A couple of fun bets in the Imperial Cup.

First up: Chti Balko (33/1, ew 4 pl) sets a good standard for the race on his best form and looks seriously overpriced but is vulnerable to improvers, sleepers and plots. He’s been dropped 7lbs for two moderate runs but his overall profile is of one still on the up. He has to carry a small bet at long odds. Shouldn't mind the ground.

And: Sam-TD has been allowed off Storm Rising to partner long-term absentee Pyromaniac (40/1 ew, 4 pl) for its new trainer Alastair Ralph who is a bit of an unknown to me but who appears to have a pretty decent overall strike rate which goes up when Sam rides to 40%. It’s a small sample of just five runners but on top of the two wins they’ve been second and fourth once each. The RP says the horse was sold back in August yet it has only just joined this yard from Tony Martin. I just wonder if he’s been taken off the radar back in Ireland for an unorthodox preparation in the meantime. I wouldn’t put anything past Martin. He’s another at huge odds worth a small bet just in case.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

moehat (9th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 996 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pyromaniac was 9nce in my alerts and I thought the booking of Sam was interesting.good luck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (9th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mares' Hurdle Tuesday - Good Thyne Tara 33/1 ew (Lad, 'boostable') - Second top on ORs, just 1lb behind BDD, and jt-second on RPRs, 5lbs off BDD.

Looks skelping ew value. I'll want to check the market w/o the fav on Tuesday morning too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (10th March 2019)

Thanks
    Stratford 2.10 Phoenician Star 22/1 small e/w - there is a line of form between Honourable and Praeceps that suggest the selection could give the odds on fav a race if not going for a hcp mark.

Thanks
    outstanding.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    Stratford 2.10 Phoenician Star 22/1 small e/w - there is a line of form between Honourable and Praeceps that suggest the selection could give the odds on fav a race if not going for a hcp mark.

Thanks
    stratford 2.10 phoenician star 22/1 small e/w - there is a line of form between honourable and praeceps that suggest the selection could give the odds on fav a race if not going for a hcp mark.
    boooooooooooooooooooom!!

Thanks
    Bugger. Been out for the last few hours and only just got back in.

Well done, chef!

Thanks
    A nice top up to your bank before the Festival Chef. Well done mate.

Thanks
    I saw this at 2:13 and popped in to Betfair to back it - got 21 in running then watched it get beat.

Then realised that I'd backed the wrong ******* horse - stuck my £2 on Honourable by mistake!!

Thanks
    Great call. Like DO I was out and missed this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Plumpton 3.55 Bolands Mill 22/1 small e/way - although well btn he has mixed it with some decent types and may run well off this mark in this grade now handicapping?