Page 17 of 117 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Shot Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Looks like today is not the day for either Belgian Bill or the Sultan thingy. Both are out to 40/1.

Kentucky Connection has been on my radar more than once in the last couple of seasons so I've stuck a small amount on at 66s, hoping one of us can fire a successful arra, Danny.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I hope you had a good bit on Belgian Bill des that was amd excellent effort and really unlucky mate thought he had it in the bag.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Forgot completely about the race and only just watched the replay a minute ago.

I was sure he had the race won from the moment he hit the front. The line seemed to take ages to arrive and it was gutting to realise he'd been nutted on the line. Great run for my money and the best odds guarantee helped a wee bit.

Thanks
    Fantasic des well done mate.

Thanks
    Great shout DO! Horse deserved to win as did you.

Thanks
    O.k I've had a look at the big handicap at Ascot tomorrow and I think there is a strong case for Arcanada 20/1 generally. He's been all over having raced in Meydan and just come back from a fairly disappointing run in a Grp 2 in Velliefendi. However before this on his run at York over a mile he's posted a really big figure and watching the race he's kicked for home plenty early enough and went miles clear as they were passing the furlong pole which makes me think the drop back in trip would suit here. He ran well last year in the Brittania stakes finishing second in his group on soft ground over the 1m only again being nabbed in his group in the dying strides. This would show that he's at least suited by Ascot and is versatile where the ground is concerned and again that a drop back in trip could payoff. I do think Mojito is a very worthy favourite and will go close but judging by there respective runs over the mile at York and through a line with Kings gift they look quite closely matched. Not only this but I think it could be argued that both will be suited by the step back in trip. Another factor here could be the draw taking out a few of the opposition I'm notoriously a bad judge of such things normally but all the pace seems to be high and a few of the other contenders, Flaming Spear,Burnt Sugar,Johnny barnes, Firmanent and Raising sand are all drawn low and are all hold up performers. If by chance the pace horses travel as the the crow flies, straight down the rail then it leaves a lot of hold up performers either having to make there way over or face be going down the middle with no one to really cut out the running.

Arcanda looks worthy of a bet at 20/1 in his own right but based on my draw theory and the theory that he and Mojito are fairly closely matched if you fancied a real long shot you may fancy they'd have the race between themselves down the rail. I've chanced the reverse forecast and took prices with 365 of 89.08 and 97.30 respectively

Good luck for the weekend lads.
    Last edited by Danny; 6th October 2017 at 5:58 PM.

Thanks
    No quibbles with that, Danny. Arcanada is on my long list for tomorrow for most of the reasons you offer but unlikely to make the short list. One of my current candidates for the short list is also available at longer than 20/1 and I'll probably put it up on here in the morning once I've completed my deliberations.

Good luck with it.

Thanks
    The one I had in mind has come in a wee bit overnight but is still 20/1 in places as I write.

Mitchum Swagger

The good rating I have for him was from his excellent 1½-length third to Portage in the Hunt Cup last summer off 108. He’s been plying his trade in better class since then and returns to handicap company for the first time here off 105.

(I have other, bigger bets on Makzeem and Burnt Sugar.)

Thanks
    Thought I'd pop in to see what you've come up with Des and Mitchum Swagger is certainly one I'd considered. Its a very hot race though Imo and I could possibly have considered about 75% of the field truth be told.

Thanks
    I've also taken some very small win bets on Amazour and Mutawathea at the big prices on the exchange purely because they're way too big on their best lifetime form. Bit of fun, really.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 7th October 2017 at 3:34 PM.

Thanks
    Haha race unfolds on the opposite side and the first 2 are probably the last 2 I'd ever have ever of backed.

Thanks
    Bit of a damp squib of a race.

No mention that Makzeem also fell out of the stalls but he appeared to be going better than anything coming to the later stages. Maybe he wasn't quite over his last race or maybe the ground wasn't really to his liking.

Mitchum Swagger got caught up in the over-fast pace set by Mutawathea, as did (I think) Burnt Sugar (had come from behind previously). I lost track of Amazour and will need to watch it again but it was only coffee money I lost on him (and Mutawathea) to cover the other outlay.

Thanks
    Well I managed to nail the forecast of the last 2 home pretty impressive feat really.

Thanks
    Sometimes when you dig around in the dirt, you just get your hands dirty, but now and again, If your patient enough, you can find a nice treat; I hope I've found one here.
    Truffle's can be quite expensive, so lets not get to greedy, at 28/1 gen, we don't need to be.
    Truffles: Nav 4.10 has run some decent races in defeat of late; leading and looking to be beaten for being drawn badly, excuses etc, etc.
    Having won his maiden in similar conditions, the handicapper was quite harsh with the penalty. He's now come down to such an extent that the decent 10Lb claimer actually puts him on a mark 7Lb's lighter than his victory mark.
    With a central draw, a rising ground finish to compensating for the distance drop (7 to 5). I can see him building up an easy lead in the early part, and the first time cheek pieces aiding his concentration in the closing run to the line.
    Definitely good E/W value, and a candidate for this thread.

Thanks
    OK, you silver-tongued devil, you've talked me into it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbet View Post
    Sometimes when you dig around in the dirt, you just get your hands dirty, but now and again, If your patient enough, you can find a nice treat; I hope I've found one here.
    Truffle's can be quite expensive, so lets not get to greedy, at 28/1 gen, we don't need to be.
    Truffles: Nav 4.10 has run some decent races in defeat of late; leading and looking to be beaten for being drawn badly, excuses etc, etc.
    Having won his maiden in similar conditions, the handicapper was quite harsh with the penalty. He's now come down to such an extent that the decent 10Lb claimer actually puts him on a mark 7Lb's lighter than his victory mark.
    With a central draw, a rising ground finish to compensating for the distance drop (7 to 5). I can see him building up an easy lead in the early part, and the first time cheek pieces aiding his concentration in the closing run to the line.
    Definitely good E/W value, and a candidate for this thread.
    Result doesn't always tell the story, went evens in running - U/L

Thanks
    It was trying and that's all I'd ever ask for.

Pont 3.55. A rubbish race in which Kiwi Bay might have a squeak.

Thanks
    Good luck Vm I have tried to respond to PM but don't know whether they are getting through good to see you over here.

Thanks
    I wasn't sure if I should put this on this thread or on the ante-post one but some of these qualify for this thread...

I'm off on Friday for a week in [hopefully] the sun so managed to get a look at the Cesarewitch last night and this morning.

I’ve only done down to a rating of 80 as this was the cut for last year. There’s a chance something below that will get in, in which case I’ll check them on Thursday.

Before the trial race a couple of weeks ago I was swayed by the argument favouring hurdlers on account of how they were trained to breathe in this type of race and it was vindicated in convincing style by Who Dares Wins and Coeur De Lion (just misses the cut at this stage) who were well clear of nicely-handicapped opponents. I’m going to focus again on the hurdlers here, ignoring most other Flat form.

This gives a handy-looking short list of: Snow Falcon (current best price 25/1, 44 on the exchange earlier), Lagostovegas (16/1 this morning), Swamp Fox (20/1) and John Constable (8/1). There wasn’t any sign of market movement earlier but I suspected that might come this afternoon as word of Paul Kealy’s (and maybe Tom Segal’s if he has one) Weekender selection gets out before the paper hits the streets.

The main two to go blue this afternoon are Withhold and Lagostovegas so I presume they are tipped.

I got some coffee money on Snow Falcon with Betfair (presumably won’t run but hey…) and then got 16/1 Lagostovegas just before it disappeared. The latter and John Constable obviously don't qualify for the thread, though. I mention them as part of the bigger picture.

I fancy the other two [Swamp Fox and John Constable] more, to be honest, and I think the latter will be very hard to beat. I'm hoping he'll still be 8/1 when the final decs come out on Thursday and I can hopefully get on once the NRNB kicks in. I also think Swamp Fox has a better chance than Lagostovegas on their best hurdles form but he isn't showing any signs of shortening just yet so I'm holding off in the hope that someone breaks rank and goes 25s.

I’ve no idea if he runs but I’ve also taken a little of the 66/1 (ew) on offer about Mister Manduro. Johnston has won this more than once as well as with a 3yo and the form of his Ascot race with Stradivarius could hardly be working out better – apart from him! If this has been the plan ever since he might run a big race.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 10th October 2017 at 5:36 PM.