Page 104 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4549499100101102103104105106107108109114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2332

Thread: The Long Shot Thread

Thanks
    Thanks DVD, just that i noticed no members had been on from when i posted until Simmo came home and noticed, but lots of Guests were looking in. I understand your reasoning and fair enough, i've recently started posting on here again after a long absence, but as you say the flow of traffic is very slow. Don't think personally it would hurt to get people to register, doesn't cost anything! But your forum and i'll post something from time to time, good luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simpson Jersey For This Useful Post:

archie (26th September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
    I'll just quickly explain that

It used to be that the forums were pretty much private, you had to join to read anything. That was fine when the channel 4 forums first closed, as hundreds migrated over to here and TRF, and forums were still popular.
    However, not being able to read forums is a massive negative on SEO and also attracting new members. It's hard enough these days to keep people posting, let alone getting someone to join when they can't see what they are joining, so the decision was made to open the forum up so non members could read and hopefully join.

It was discussed to have a private forum that only members, or members with a certain post count or length of membership, could access, but it was decided that all that would do would be create a clique of members that others would feel excluded from. Considering thats been mentioned more than once on here, we thought it best not to do that.

Hope that helps explain it
    Totally agree.

SJ, I think you'll find plenty of us have put up 'successful', ie have significantly outrun their odds whether they actually win or not, selections only for them to go unacknowledged. It doesn't happen very often, to be fair, and most people are genuinely appreciative of our input whether they say so or not.

It bothered me a little at first, to be honest, but over time I've grown to accept that I put stuff up and leave it up to others to express appreciation or not. It's no longer a big deal. Being abused or picked on for petty reasons is much more off-putting.

I put up one a couple of weeks back. I genuinely thought I was putting up a big-priced good thing and I was hoping it would allow me to go out on my shield as I'd intended it to be my very last post. It ran like a donkey. That was a sobering experience as I had a very decent bet on it too. I'm hoping George Bowen can make up for it today
    Illegitimi non carborundum

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

dvds2000 (21st September 2019), Outsider (21st September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    Good luck

Another worth a mention is Maid In India (Newbury 1:45), who worked his way up through the handicaps, and although latest wins came on soft or heavy, has plenty of proven form on good and good to firm too. The 20's has dissapeared, and the 16's is on its way out aswell.
    Good start to today.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (21st September 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the debate about the lurkers who never post goes back as far as old members such as EC1, who often commented on how few people would ever congratulate anyone.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ayr 2:00 KYLIE RULES never stopped improving since switching to Ruth Carr's stable. She won four races on the bounce earlier this season, before winning a another valuable handicap at Thirsk. She's gone up almost two stone in the ratings this season, about 25lb to be precise. As I said a few weeks ago, the geldings tend to win most of the handicaps, because a) most horses competing in handicaps are geldings, but also because b) there's a significant percentage of colts who improve a lot after the operation. Therefore for a filly or mare to mix it up in the top handicaps is always worth more than the bare rating. Kylie Rules fits the profile and I reckon she'll outrun odds of 20/1 each way here.
    3rd at 33's - Travelled like a winner, great run.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well done marb good start.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Marb (21st September 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cheers bro.

Easily could have gone for Show Stealer, Admirality, Golden Apollo or Royal Residence in the next.

I had to back one in the end so went for Admirality. He's got the ability if it all comes right.

I hope he shows more in the final furlong than he has done lately.
    Last edited by Marb; 21st September 2019 at 2:27 PM.

Thanks
    Good luck

Another worth a mention is Maid In India (Newbury 1:45), who worked his way up through the handicaps, and although latest wins came on soft or heavy, has plenty of proven form on good and good to firm too. The 20's has dissappeared, and the 16's is on its way out aswell.
    Good shout marb - got 20s on Betfair. Cheers!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpson Jersey View Post
    Thanks DVD, just that i noticed no members had been on from when i posted until Simmo came home and noticed, but lots of Guests were looking in. I understand your reasoning and fair enough, i've recently started posting on here again after a long absence, but as you say the flow of traffic is very slow. Don't think personally it would hurt to get people to register, doesn't cost anything! But your forum and i'll post something from time to time, good luck.
    I don't disagree with you, but people won't register if they can't see what they are registering for. How many times have you googled something, clicked a link, been met with 'sorry, you need to register to read that content', then clicked back and went to the next result? I do it all the time, very rarely will I register and when I do it's mainly when its a 'niche' question, and I can't find the answer elsewhere.

I do try to get people to register, the second post is littered with ads on every thread with a message to register to remove them, if you are viewing as a guest, I would have thought that would have helped .

Just also to say, the discussions about this were public, and it was the general consensus of everyone who took part to make things as they are today

Any ideas on increasing registrations would be appreciated though
    Last edited by dvds2000; 21st September 2019 at 7:20 PM.

Thanks
    I like Pammi and Gworn in the 5 o’clock but the tea leaves have settled on frightened rabbit. 50/1 seems reasonable
    Last edited by Nonannyimfine; 22nd September 2019 at 1:21 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would stick with Pammi. Well backed into 14's and she came right this time last season. 1M4F looks about right, gd-st ideal, well handicapped and 7 pound claimer on to.

Thanks
    Just a mention for a few decent priced horses today that will love the softer ground at Hamilton and could well outrun their Odds(if there is such a thing).
    1 Gilmer 2.30H-16/1
    2 Marietta Rosetti 4.45 H-20/1
    At Leicester
    3 Elixsoft 4.30 Returns to the course where ran best turf race, distance may be too short but if gets out on terms could surprise.-20/1
    4 Secretinthepark-3.25 has probably 3/4lbs too much weight and needs to get out on terms, won on stiff Bev track, similar to Leics imo off 72.- 16/1.

Thanks
    There’s a nice lucky 15 there

I’ve gone for two in Kempton.

7.00 donncha 25/1
    8.30 waterfall 25/1

Thanks
    Warwick 2.45 Heart Of Kernow 25/1
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    Warwick 2.10 Nikap 40/1 small e/way - falls into the category of could be anything after showing great promise finishing 2nd in his first bumper race despite an awful ride. A race which has worked out well. The more rain the better and hopefully a professional jockey and hood can make a difference if he takes to hurdling?
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    Warwick 2.10 Nikap 40/1 small e/way
    Goes nicely with the TV series I'm currently watching.....

100 available on Betfair.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    Warwick 2.10 Nikap 40/1 small e/way - falls into the category of could be anything after showing great promise finishing 2nd in his first bumper race despite an awful ride. A race which has worked out well. The more rain the better and hopefully a professional jockey and hood can make a difference if he takes to hurdling?
    Good run in 4th Chef.one for hcaps methinks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Good run in 4th Chef.one for hcaps methinks.
    Yes given an educational ride, and looks sure to win a race but I suspect he will need soft ground.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Outsider (24th September 2019)

Thanks
    Perth 2.35 Darsi In The Park 33/1 - mininum bet e/way - very speculative on form shown but was a relatively expensive purchase and his form when winning a PTP looks reasonable. However is action looks ideal for heavy ground and if stable have sorted out any problems he could outrun his odds. May be wise to play on the machine to guarantee 3 places.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Outsider (27th September 2019)

Thanks
    Downpatrick 1.35 Castle Kenny 20/1 small e/way - Probably wants further, rain would help and racing against the boys for the first time but has c/d form a nice weight and shows willingness under pressure.

Worcester 3.45 Roycano 20/1 small e/way - backing this on a gut feeling and it was in my tracker, so I feel I must of seen something about this horse.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Outsider (27th September 2019)