Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-y-os 2017

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One first season sire running today.

Newmarket 2.20

SOCIETY ROCK - Unfortunately, out of a Komaite mare, is a half-brother to four winners including useful Alan Berry-trained sprinter, Look Busy.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 18th April 2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Today's first season sire runners.

Newmarket 4.10

* figures in brackets - foaling date

SWISS SPIRIT - On A Roll (5.3) is the first foal of an Acclamation mare.

LETHAL FORCE - Queen Of Kalahari (25.2) out of an Oasis Dream mare and a half-sister to two moderate winners.

Beverley 2.15

RED JAZZ - Progressive Jazz (12.3) out of an Unfuwain mare and half-brother to four winners, RPRs of 99,97,81 and 74.

RED JAZZ - Magic Jazz (19.3) out of an Ishiguro mare and an already gelded half-brother to a moderate winner.

MOST IMPROVED - Just For The Craic (25.3) keen but showed some ability when a reasonably close 7th. on debut at Redcar.

HAVANA GOLD - Floss The Hoss (13.4) from an Elusive Quality mare whose only previous runner achieved a RPR of 91 as a 3-y-o in France.

SOCIETY ROCK - Bikini Bamalaam (15.3) out of a Holy Roman Emperor mare whose previous runner won two races, one of them a seller.

Beverley 2.50

SOCIETY ROCK - Hot Rock (26.2) first foal of a Chineur mare.

SOCIETY ROCK - Glen Valley (26.1) showed little when 15.5 length last of four on debut at Southwell.

RED JAZZ - Abu Dhabi Doo (25.2) out of a Lion Heart mare who has produced two fairly moderate winners.

LETHAL FORCE - Asheena (13.3) from a Diktat mare and a half-sister to five winners, the best of them Munro the winner of three of his five races and having a RPR of 87.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Cruella (19th April 2017), Eleanora Duse (19th April 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Today's FSS runners:

Ripon 2.15

SOCIETY ROCK - Society's Dream is out of a King's Theatre mare and a half-sister to two moderate winners.

Ripon 2.50

RED JAZZ - Capla Dancer out of a Iffraaj mare and half-sister to poor maiden.

SWISS SPIRIT - Flo's Melody out of a Bold Edge mare and a half-sister to three winners including the useful Threes Grand, RPR 90, who won on her 2-y-o debut.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    First season sire RED JAZZ got off the mark yesterday with Capla Dancer (66/1) taking the 2.50 at Ripon yesterday.

Today's Runners:

Newbury 2.00

LETHAL FORCE - Admiral Spice (28.4), out of a Dansili mare, half-brother to three moderate winners.

HAVANA GOLD - Headway (14.3), out of a Medicean mare, half-brother to a poor maiden.

HAVANA GOLD - Mysaan (17.3), out of a Giant's Causeway mare, half-brother to four winners.

LETHAL FORCE - Tony Soprano (6.3), out of a Red Ransom mare, half-brother to three decent winners.

Bath 4.55

RED JAZZ - Mutanaaseq (26.3), out of an Indian Ridge mare, half-brother to Ahlan Emarati who was a close-up third in the 2014 Gimcrack.

Dundalk 5.20

SWISS SPIRIT - Spirit Power (5.3), out of a Woodman mare, ran second to Sirici on debut here two weeks ago.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 21st April 2017 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday there was a second winner for FSS RED JAZZ with Mutanaaseq just getting up to take the Bath 4.55.

Very quiet day on the 2-y-o front with only the one FSS runner.

Nottingham 6.00

HAVANA GOLD - Havana Grey, the first foal of a Dark Angel mare.

Surprisingly he is heading the market at the moment.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 22nd April 2017 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's been a slow start for first season sires runners, not a huge number of runners and just five winners.

Two for SOCIETY ROCK and RED JAZZ and one for SWISS SPIRIT.

Today's runners in the Navan 2.15

SWISS SPIRIT - Crown Leah (19.3), the first foal of a Kyllachy mare.

EPAULETTE - Lady Epaulette (8.4), out of a Motivator mare, was a well-beaten last of eight on her debut.

TOUGH AS NAILS - My Silver Nails (1.4), out of a Verglas mare, having third run, decent effort when fourth on debut.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Crown Leah just touched off close home.

Today's runners:

Pontefract 2.00

FINJAAN - Squirrelheed (18.4), out of a Bluebird mare, is an already-gelded half-brother to two winners, one of them half-decent.

Kempton 2.10

SOCIETY ROCK - Corinthia Knight, a good winner on debut at Lingfield two weeks ago.

LETHAL FORCE - Milchik (20.4), out of a Rossini mare, half-sister to a moderate winner whose only win was on his 2-y-o debut.

LETHAL FORCE - Butterfly Spirit (27.3), out of a Dubai mare, a half-sister to, Peachey Carnehan, the winner of a 0-70 6f. handicap at Wolverhampton last month.

FINJAAN - Shesgotthelot (24.2), out of a Fraam mare, is a half-sister to two winners, one of them,New Bidder (RPR 100), the winner of a competitive 6f. handicap at the Curragh last September.

Navan 4.25

RED JAZZ - Ragtime Red, finished a decent fifth behind dual-winner Sirici, on debut at Dundalk.

Windsor 4.45

SOCIETY ROCK - Mother Of Dragons (26.4) is the first foal of a Green Desert mare.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 24th April 2017 at 10:20 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Part time punter (24th April 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There's an interesting debutant at Navan today (4.25). Declarationofwar is a War Front colt and a half-brother to Honor Code winner of two Grade 1 races in the USA, taking the 2015 editions of Whitney Stakes and the Metropolitan Handicap. O'Brien's 2-y-os are not always at their best on debut and he is yet to have a 2-y-o winner (not many runners) but the race may well be worth watching.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 24th April 2017 at 10:54 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Part time punter (24th April 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday, Corinthia Knight, by FSS SOCIETY ROCK, proved much too good for his opponents and scooted home at 4/9.

At Navan another O'Brien 2-y-o favourite bit the dust under a tender ride from Heffernan.

Today:

Brighton 4.50

MAZAMEER - Milton Road, out of a Piccolo mare, is a half-brother to a moderate winner.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Only one 2-y-o race today the Beverley2.10 and there are two first season sires represented:

PLANTEUR - Plansina (24.3) out of a Trans Island mare is a half-sister to a moderate maiden.

SOCIETY ROCK - Suanas (10.3) is the first foal of a Lawman mare.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Today's first season sire runners:

Ripon 2.10

RED JAZZ - Capla Dancer (4.4) 66/1 narrow winner over course and distance on debut.

SOCIETY ROCK - Bikini Bamalaam (15.3) showed some speed on debut at Beverley but only managed to beat one home.

Leicester 2.55

DAWN APPROACH - Hadaaf (1.2), sire's first runner, out of a Cozzene mare and half-brother to Lamar (same trainer) who won a Class 2 Conditions race at Lingfield (RPR 108).

RED JAZZ - Jedi Master (22.2) didn't have the clearest of runs when 7 lengths 6/10 on debut at this course.

Doncaster 5.25

SOCIETY ROCK - Dahik (6.3) out of a Lake Coniston mare and a half-brother to the winner of 8f. Irish Listed race.

LETHAL FORCE - Angel Force (20.2) out of an Indian Ridge mare and a half-sister to three maidens.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seems I'm talking to myself here but what the hell!

Yesterday Haddaf almost got FSS DAWN APPROACH off the mark but the 1/3 favourite proved just the stronger close home.

Today, just the one:

FINJAAN - Shesgotthelot (24.2) green on her Kempton debut, she was slowly away and behind at half-way, stayed on strongly but in finishing third sh was 10 lengths behind the useful dual-winner Corinthia Knight.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Cruella (30th April 2017), Eleanora Duse (30th April 2017)

Thanks
    No you are not Colin. For myself. I just haven't got much of any interest to say. I will say I do believe it is going to be tough for this years new boys as we've had some excellent 2yo sires in the last few years and Kodiac remains the benchmark.
    Still a great thread. Thanks for the great work you put in.

Thanks
    I read this thread every day

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice to hear both. Thanks.

Thanks
    I also read every day, really appreciate the work you put into this Colin. I'm not a punter but my main interest in Flat racing is the breeding side so I thoroughly enjoy this thread - I just rarely have anything meaningful to add.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You're forgiven, Cruella.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

Cruella (30th April 2017)

Thanks
    I still take a look at the Bell gallops.......you know I'm a mug to do so. He has a 2yo who is standing out a bit at this stage but for a few reasons it is difficult to say who it is. I half-believe it is Choice Encounter. He ran last week and started much too slowly but did run on. So I'm interested in his next run.
    Will report on the gallops if I see anything interesting but after 2 years watching with little reward will not attempt to rate them as I did in the past.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleanora Duse For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (30th April 2017), edgt (30th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the good old days Paddy "Darkie " Prendergast used always give his two year olds a break so they could get some May grass before being prepared for Royal Ascot, Goodwood and the top two year old races.
    Whether that happened before or after Chester depended on the horses and their engagements.
    I wonder have the current crop of trainers the same faith in May grass anyone ?

Keep up the good work Colin; the close of NH season had what little attention I have at this time of year but from now on my tuppence worth is sure to be added.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (1st May 2017), Eleanora Duse (1st May 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Busy day today.

Naas 1.40 (6f)

DECLARATION OF WAR - Actress (12.1) is out of a Gulch mare and is a half-sister to a decent maiden.

SOCIETY ROCK - Yolo Star (15.4) out of an Efisio mare and is a half-sister to 4 winners.

Naas 2.45

SWISS SPIRIT - Hawaam (26.3) out of a Jade Robbery mare and is a half-brother to two winners, one of which is, Waady, the winner of a 5f. Group 3 at Sandown as a 3-y-o.

RED JAZZ - Mister Magic (8.4) showed plenty of speed when fourth on debut at Dundalk, finishing 9 lengths behind Dali who re-opposes here.

Beverley 1.55

MAZAMEER - Furze Boy (26.5), a very late foal out of an Emerati mare and is half-brother to 4 winners who won 37 races between them.

SOCIETY ROCK - Hot Rock (26.2) keen and held up at rear, finished well, on debut over course and distance.

SWISS SPIRIT - Time Trail (2.4) out of a Spectrum mare and a half-sister two decent winners and a useful maiden.

Beverley 2.30

HAVANA GOLD - Havana Star (21.1) is a first foal of a Camacho mare.

SOCIETY ROCK - Rockin Fella (9.4), is having his third run having finished third in both his outings seemingly better effort on debut.

RED JAZZ - Ventura Gold (27.3) was green on debut in the same race as Rockin Fella's debut, didn't have the best of runs.

Bath 4.00

SOCIETY ROCK - Rock Of Estonia (19.2) made just about all for a neck win on debut at Windsor, the third in that race won at Salisbury yesterday.

SWISS SPIRIT - Joe's Spirit (1.4) out of a Dansili mare and a half-brother to a poor maiden.

HAVANA GOLD - Ghepardo (30.4) out of a Royal Applause mare and a half-sister to a poor maiden.

HAVANA GOLD - Polly's Gold (3.2) the first foal of a Denon mare.