Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ante-Post - Flat 2017

Thanks

Ante-Post - Flat 2017

A bit early for this maybe but a number of firms have priced up the Lincoln and of the five trackers I have left on my list

from last year two of them are quoted, Carrington and Next Stage. Both Godolphin animals, the former tends to lose his races

from tardy starts but actually left the gate on time in his last race, but didn't stay the extended trip (miler running over 11f)

the latter was hampered badly in June at Donny when finishing a clear second from the subsequent Britannia winner and

was tailed off in his only other start (soft ground so easy to ignore). I've taken a little 33s about him, will only back Carrington IR.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

fonz (2nd February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Are the Linclon entries out yet?

It's a race that's been very kind to me down the years but I can't remember the last time I went in ante-post on anything.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WTF is this monstrosity??
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (2nd February 2017), Kauto Abu (9th February 2017), TheBear (2nd February 2017), tiggers1972 (2nd February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    WTF is this monstrosity??
    A mirror?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    A bit early for this maybe
    Never too early for a Flat thread.

Oh This Is Us (Hannon) interests me off 105. A big improver as a three-year-old, he wound up winning a big-field backend 7f handicap at Donny off 101 and the 4lb rise certainly doesn't look prohibitive. He stays a mile and has a high cruising speed which is always an asset in races like the Lincoln. Soft ground might not suit, though, so a bet at this stage looks risky, even at the 25/1 on offer.

Thanks
    Others who would be of interest, if aimed at the race, would be Afjaan and Folkswood. Afjaan has a sharp turn of foot, as demonstrated at Kempton in September, and Folkswood is lightly-raced and undergoing a similar prep in Dubai as last year's winner.

Thanks
    The mover in the markets for the Classics has been Coronet for the Oaks. Available at 25/1 after her win over 10f at Newmarket in October, she's steadily been cut in price since and she's now no bigger than 12s and as short as 10s in places. Gosden was talking of going to Epsom via the Musidora.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hoping the 8 runners all stand their ground tomorrow in the Winter Derby Trial at Lingfield.

I like the outsider from Jamie Osbourne's yard called Our Channel. He blatantly needed his first two seasonal appearances to take the edge off, (noted as keen and free on both occasions), but could be the fly in the ointment here, especially if he sits off the pace, instead of trying to make all. He should be a nice each way price.
    Last edited by Marb; 3rd February 2017 at 3:15 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Betting market told its own story about Our Channel, friendless in the betting. He'll be interesting when he hits a bit of form over a mile on turf, probably not the Lincoln, but I reckon he'll come good at some point, (over a mile).
    Last edited by Marb; 4th February 2017 at 5:02 PM.

Thanks
    Oh This Is Us and Folkswood both run at Meydan later today. As you'd expect, it's for excellent prize money. I can't imagine that either of them is being specifically aimed at the Lincoln although you couldn't rule out either of them taking in the race, ground permitting.

Thanks
    Well, I'll be seriously interested in Oh This Is Us for one of the valuable handicaps run over 7f or 8f when he gets his ground this year. That was a seriously good run today - travelled well and looked a bit unlucky. He can only go up a pound or two.

Folkswood was a decisive winner of his race but he got the run of it. He'd carry a 5lb penalty in the Lincoln if he was to go for it and that might be too much.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Betting market told its own story about Our Channel, friendless in the betting. He'll be interesting when he hits a bit of form over a mile on turf, probably not the Lincoln, but I reckon he'll come good at some point, (over a mile).
    We'll see how Our Channel goes on Wednesday at 3:30. Dropping to 8.5 furlongs, in a much weaker contest, he should be interesting.
    Last edited by Marb; 13th February 2017 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Oh This Is Us has an entry in the Lincoln Trial at Wolverhampton on Saturday which is interesting and suggests they might have a crack in mind at the Lincoln itself. He's now had two runs at Meydan over 7f, both of them promising, but he stays a mile and I'll be seriously interested in him for Donny if he's confirmed a likely runner and if the ground comes in his favour. I'm not going to get involved yet, however, given the uncertainties.

Thanks
    I've had a few quid on Yuften for the Lincoln at 14/1 after his run at Wolverhampton yesterday. He demonstrated at Ascot last backend that he won't be fazed by a big-field straight mile handicap and Roger Charlton's pre-race comments on Twitter suggest the horse is being aimed at Doncaster. Yuften showed his wellbeing over a trip, seven furlongs, that is almost certainly on the sharp side for him nowadays. He absolutely flew home from well off the pace to be beaten a nose and a short head into third, narrowly avoiding a penalty for the Lincoln. It would be difficult to argue that Yuften is thrown in off 105 but he's certainly not badly-handicapped either and it's not unreasonable to think that he'll come on for the run and improve over the additional furlong. He could well go off at single figures on the day.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gus For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (12th March 2017), fonz (12th March 2017), Marb (12th March 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Interesting Gus. Keep the posts coming your input is always appreciated.

Also.....I wonder how long Jamie Osborne will keep running Our Channel at 10 furlongs when he clearly needs 8F!!!

Thanks
    Interesting Gus. Keep the posts coming your input is always appreciated.
    here here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    A bit early for this maybe but a number of firms have priced up the Lincoln and of the five trackers I have left on my list

from last year two of them are quoted, Carrington and Next Stage. Both Godolphin animals, the former tends to lose his races

from tardy starts but actually left the gate on time in his last race, but didn't stay the extended trip (miler running over 11f)

the latter was hampered badly in June at Donny when finishing a clear second from the subsequent Britannia winner and

was tailed off in his only other start (soft ground so easy to ignore). I've taken a little 33s about him, will only back Carrington IR.
    I looked at the race tonight, I think Donncha looks the bet at 16\1. Morando and Yuften are not easily opposed, but my thinking is this may merely be a 'pipe opener' for them, with group races later in the season the real target. Donncha is a horse who progresses each season..was placed in five valuable handicaps last year and sooner or later it wins one of these, IMHO. Well worth its place in the first six or seven in the betting.
    Last edited by Marb; 26th March 2017 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Well worth its place in the first six or seven in the betting.
    So you really want it to be OUTSIDE the first six or seven in the betting ;-) ... I might try and get a look at the race during the week.... the problem is, as explained elsewhere, printing out the card to work on.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I looked at the race tonight, I think Donncha looks the bet at 16\1. Morando and Yuften are not easily opposed, but my thinking is this may merely be a 'pipe opener' for them, with group races later in the season the real target. Donncha is a horse who progresses each season..was placed in five valuable handicaps last year and sooner or later it wins one of these, IMHO. Well worth its place in the first six or seven in the betting.
    Well..Gigilo who is different league to me has the bragging right to Donncha, (he tipped it 6 days before me). Lets hope it wins.
    Last edited by Marb; 29th March 2017 at 12:26 PM.