Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colm Murphy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pdleech View Post

Last year I spent around 15000 and so far this year it's been around 11000. This includes gallops fees (30 euro each time on the Curragh), travel to the courses, vets bills (higher because of medication for ulcers and frequent endoscopys). Entry fees are on top of this; they are .08% of the race value for the entry and another .02% if you declare (as an example for a 14000 Euro race it costs 112 euros to enter and 28 euros to declare). It also doesn't include riding fees (209.61 incl Vat for NH) or any prize money distributions (jockey, trainers,Jockeys Emergency Fund,Stable lads scheme etc). Just as an example when we won at Listowel the first prize money was 8750.00 - after all deductions I ended up with 6600.00 The other costs are Authority to Act (Trainer) of 40, Colours re-registration 40 and Owners Assn of 65 euros
    Thanks for the detailed reply, Paul. To put your figures in context, some trainers in England were already charging £20,000 ten years ago, so I think it's fair to say Peter Fahey is not overcharging you.

Presumably what Colm Murphy meant when mentioning his accountancy background is that a lot of trainers only look at running costs and don't take account of the full amount of capital sunk in their land, stables and other assets when assessing their operations.
    Last edited by Grey; 26th September 2016 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Agreed Grey (and if I implied I thought Peter was overcharging then that was most certainly not my intention)

Thanks
    To put costs in the UK & Ireland into perspective you can have a horse in training with somebody I consider to be a top trainer with top facilities in Central Europe, who also has regular winners (including in top handicaps) in France for 16 Euro's per day, costs are about 250 Euro's per run (travel etc.) per run in France.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I believe Black Zambezi at Gowan Park today is his last runner, one of Oran,s as well. It was a pleasure having a few shares in horses with him, always a gentleman and I wish him all the best in the future.

Thanks
    I agree Brian. Oran (Cantoris), is one of life's gentlemen.

Its fitting that Black Zambezi is Colm's final runner, with Oran's links back to the heady Brave Inca days who he owned with his family.

By the way has anybody seen the elusive bugger recently? And has he said where Presenting Beara and Black Zambezi are going?
    Last edited by Maruco; 1st October 2016 at 9:51 AM.

Thanks
    I heard from Oran earlier this year. He got engaged and has less time to be posting these days.

Unsure where the horses will end up.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Colm has announced that he's taking his licence out again and will resume training. One of the good guys for sure and it'll be good to see him back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    Colm has announced that he's taking his licence out again and will resume training. One of the good guys for sure and it'll be good to see him back.

Brilliant. I think he is an exceptional trainer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Brilliant. I think he is an exceptional trainer
    He certainly knows when he's got a good one, and more importantly trains and targets them perfectly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He looked a bit of a fish out of water in his HRI role so it is good to see him have a go again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

littlelad (30th May 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    He looked a bit of a fish out of water in his HRI role so it is good to see him have a go again.
    Agreed. He looked a little burnt out when he stepped down, so hopefully he will relax, enjoy and be successful in his second movement.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    This good news is the first visible consequence of Gigginstown departing the stage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This good news is the first visible consequence of Gigginstown departing the stage.

I was thinking along those lines too Art given the timelines

I'm also guessing that Colm has come into some new finance or maybe has managed to secure a new owner or two with some money to spend

The landscape of training horses will change a good bit in the coming few years so if he is to make a go of it, now is probably the time

No doubting his talent, he probably just needs to embrace the publicity side of training that bit more

Thanks
    Yes P J, the timing of the announcement and the statement that there's no rush about it are surely an indication that he sees Giggi's phased departure as his opportunity to get going again.

It will be hard for him to do the media and entertaining owners thing when it's not in his nature.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Yes P J, the timing of the announcement and the statement that there's no rush about it are surely an indication that he sees Giggi's phased departure as his opportunity to get going again.

It will be hard for him to do the media and entertaining owners thing when it's not in his nature.

He should outsource all that to our own Eddie - right man for the job