Thread: Why William Patrick Mullins is so superior

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Why William Patrick Mullins is so superior

No getting away from it Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliot are streets ahead of the majority of English based trainers.

Much of this is down to how they bring there young horses up through the ranks.

They keep it simple. If they have the best novice in the race you will seldom see him being held up 10 and 15 lengths behind the leader.

More likely the first and 2nd fav take advantage of an early position and most of the time will set off in the first two places.

Our jockeys all seem to think holding up a horse out the back door gives them some sort of an advantage. where one bad jump can cost them dearly.

A good jockey can hold a horse up in the lead something Paul Townend has become an expert doing.

He'll poach a 5 length lead and switch his mount off and wins dozens of racing doing exactly that

Whereas Sean Bowen will drop his mounts out and hold them up for a late run.........great when it works but WHY one must ask.

Quite frankly I reckon our jockeys and trainers think too much about tactics which can be very costly
    Last edited by Tanlic; 28th February 2024 at 4:01 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Outsider (28th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always wondered why jockeys don't get a more prominent position in races.in flat races the draw can be important so being out the back over jumps has got to be the same.
    When they are lobbing along at the back and then the pace quickens they are at a disadvantage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    No getting away from it Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliot are streets ahead of the majority of English based trainers.

Much of this is down to how they bring there young horses up through the ranks.

They keep it simple. If they have the best novice in the race you will seldom see him being held up 10 and 15 lengths behind the leader.

More likely the first and 2nd fav take advantage of an early position and most of the time will set off in the first two places.

Our jockeys all seem to think holding up a horse out the back door gives them some sort of an advantage. where one bad jump can cost them dearly.

A good jockey can hold a horse up in the lead something Paul Townend has become an expert doing.

He'll poach a 5 length lead and switch his mount off and wins dozens of racing doing exactly that

Whereas Sean Bowen will drop his mounts out and hold them up for a late run.........great when it works but WHY one must ask.

Quite frankly I reckon our jockeys and trainers think too much about tactics which can be very costly
    Imo, it's all about them having the better horses.
    No way do the Irish dominate flat racing (despite Coolmore's millions).
    As with football,it boils down to how much is invested.
    Last edited by reet hard; 28th February 2024 at 5:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WPM has the best spotters in France, and the owners with the deepest pockets.

Everything else largely takes care of itself (though I’m in no way doubting his ability to train, race-plan etc).
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    As anyone else noticed or am I imagining it...quite a few of Mullins horses run with their head bowed, and all the jockeys restrain them in the same manner; hands tucked at the scruff, loose rein. It has to be more than a coincidence, and surely more air is easily inhaled with this style...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If you see a horse during a race and you could hang your washing on lose reins back him. Ruby was a master at dropping his hands and putting horse to sleep. Francome was the same but Ruby would have ridden him to sleep in a finish..My opinion and I am sticking to it :0)
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

Everything else largely takes care of itself (though I’m in no way doubting his ability to train, race-plan etc).
    Willie Mullins didn't always have top class chasers it took him about 10 years to break his Cheltenham duck with Florida Pearl in the bumper and I think he was probably his first Cheltenham chase winner and he went on to still be winning as a 12 year old.

Paul Nichols was training for only 8 years when he won the Cheltenham Gold Cup so Willie took 31 years so it was hardly an easy road for him.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

The deeper pockets thing deserves some depth.

He has a greater pool of owners willing to spend good money on a horse but I would not say he is spending collosal amounts like Gordon or even PFN

His network of spotters and trust from his owners allow him to stockpile horses rather than buy the red ferrari each time
    Last edited by granger; 28th February 2024 at 9:40 PM.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Does help having the best horses!
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WPM is honest with his owners.
    Everyone is equal, no favours for JP, Ricci, Minir , Giggi or anyone else.
    If your horse has the ability it runs, regardless of what else is running from the stable.
    He saw first hand the effect Mrs Hill's antics had on his family morale.
    He was a pupil assistant to Jim Bolger, another my way or the highway person.
    I witnessed at Cheltenham the effect Road To Riches being switched from Gold Cup to Ryanair Chase had on Noel Meade; WPM was consoling him and shielding him from public eyes .
    Giggi horses left Closutton that summer.
    You get what you pay for with Willie but you pay for everything.
    His buyers , agents and staff act as if WPM is at their shoulder at all times.
    He then makes it look easy , doffs his hat to all and sundry and can sleep at night.
    The only time he appeared rattled was 2011/12 season when Hurricane Fly missed early season engagements and inquiries got the better of his patience.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

archie (29th February 2024), chroniclandlord (29th February 2024), Desert Orchid (29th February 2024), Grasshopper (29th February 2024), jinnyj (28th February 2024), Len Madeiros (29th February 2024), Tanlic (28th February 2024)

Thanks
    He’s also an unbelievably polite man, given all the noise around him all the time. WPM is a huge credit to racing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Len Madeiros For This Useful Post:

edgt (29th February 2024)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
    Does help having the best horses!
    The question you want to ask is why does he have the best horses.A small part of it is due to his ability to handle incredibly wealthy owners -imagine sitting down with himself and Ruby and talking horses with them for half an hour.I know a few guys in a syndicate who had a Graded horse in training with him maybe 15 years ago -they always felt he avoided them at the races.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    I've always wondered why jockeys don't get a more prominent position in races.in flat races the draw can be important so being out the back over jumps has got to be the same.
    When they are lobbing along at the back and then the pace quickens they are at a disadvantage.
    It depends on the pace in the race, I would think.

If a horse is a hold-up type then a slow pace is no good at all since the horse will be hard to settle and then, when they quicken off a slow pace, being at the back of the field is the worst possible position.

If they go off furiously, then this will benefit the hold-up type since that pace can't be maintained all the way to the line and the front runners are susceptible to the late finishers.

So it's not simple, tis race-riding, is it?
    Last edited by yorick; 29th February 2024 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am sure I mentioned before a night in Kiely's Donnybrook during the crash , 2009 or so.
    About six people in the bar post Christmas Leopardstown meet, that was all.
    Myself and Baldeagle were enjoying lamb shank and a bottle of red when in walked WPM and Rich Ricci.
    We watched, amazed as Rich did his minister for funny walks act while WPM sat, silently sipping his pint.
    We thought surely the man had better things to do than watch a comic/tragic cabaret act.
    At the time Rich had about 10 horses at Closutton, he soon had fifty.
    That Kiely's was near empty that time of the year told the state of the Irish economy.
    Willie knew what he was doing, had to do.
    He has his mother's patience also......obviously.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I had to laugh at Patrick...he said he has known Willie to only have 2 bets for ante post bets for Cheltenham.

Then when it came round he never ran either of them in the races he backed them in.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I had to laugh at Patrick...he said he has known Willie to only have 2 bets for ante post bets for Cheltenham.

Then when it came round he never ran either of them in the races he backed them in.
    Brilliant.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Brilliant.
    Haha!