View Poll Results: Brexit, Stay or Leave.

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay

28 57.14%
  • Leave

21 42.86%
Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 35758081828384858687 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1722

Thread: Brexit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    The bit I don't get about the immigration argument, and its apparent influence over the Referendum result, is that immigration from the EU is significantly lower than immigration from the Commonwealth (particularly the Indian sub-continent) and elsewhere. Not only are the numbers smaller from the EU, none of these other countries offer the reciprocal benefits of free access that the EU does, so you would think it was the 'least bad' form of immigration?

If immigration was really such an issue, surely - one would think - the 'other' type of immigration would have warranted more discussion - yet it was rarely, if ever, mentioned.

Perhaps this was because it wasn't relevant to the EU dialogue? Perhaps its influence has been massively over-stated? Or perhaps the 'other' kind of immigrants are next in the cross-hairs?
    Because we had that argument 40 years ago and people have got used to it, whereas the influx of workers from Central Europe (or what we call Eastern Europe) is a relatively new thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I talked about the Leave campaigns arguments implying non E.U migration was better or 'preferable' to that of E.U migration before the vote.

This is disingenuous at best, and quite offensive to Eastern European totty at worst.
    Last edited by Marb; 28th July 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Because we had that argument 40 years ago and people have got used to it, whereas the influx of workers from Central Europe (or what we call Eastern Europe) is a relatively new thing.
    Aye, that probably explains it right enough, simmo.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Banned
    Thanks
    Corbyns labour

https://mobile.twitter.com/jessphill...70826732412929

always remeber that the glorious leader ensured that those women in the nec who voted against him were publicly identified

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Aye, that probably explains it right enough, simmo.
    Don't agree

eastern european "immigration" is as often as not short term. Som would say it's a case of come here, undercut and grab what you can (NHS) before pissing off again. whether that's a good thing or not, immigration from east Africa and India was primarily here for the duration.

as I pointed out its not just undercut plumbers but many younger British who are learning professional services squeezed out by qualifieds from Eastern Europe. Seen it and it doesn't feel good.
    Last edited by clivex; 28th July 2016 at 4:31 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I said it explained it.....I didn't say it excused it.

SlimChance, March 2018

Banned
    Thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA8nABHLQQA

Excellent policy by emily thornberry. Vote winner

Thanks
    Your £ buys you 1 € today as the £ hits a 3 year low. Where's Clivex when you need him to reassure us???
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    High Court has this morning ruled the UK government must consult Parliament before triggering Article 50 to leave EU.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Brexit means brexit.... what a shambles...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I know you don't have a written constitution - but does 'consult' mean 'put a vote'?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    I'm confused ( I know - it doesn't take much!) so the government who have accepted brexit and are poised to set the ball rolling after cheltenham ( jolly decent of them!) have now got to ask parliament if they are allowed to do what they are planning to do as voted for by us lot, the great unwashed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    I think a referendum isn't actually legally binding [or something like that]. Which the Government should have known anyway. I'm happier today than I have been for a long time; all I need now is for Trump to be wiped out....[oh, and for Freddy Tylicki to be ok....]
    Last edited by moehat; 3rd November 2016 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 875 Posts
    Hope you're still happy if it causes a general election, and with the spectre of Nigel Farage as next Prime Minister.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trudij View Post
    I'm confused ( I know - it doesn't take much!) so the government who have accepted brexit and are poised to set the ball rolling after cheltenham ( jolly decent of them!) have now got to ask parliament if they are allowed to do what they are planning to do as voted for by us lot, the great unwashed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly! Our local MP is a remain but her constituents voted leave so if she doesn't vote in favour of starting the process then she is not representing the people who elected her. why have a referendum but then put it to Parliament? And she's a bolshy cow so I bet she votes against if it's a free vote.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    That sounds like Anna Sourbry

In fairness Anna is one of quite few who you might regard as capable of digging in. Ken Clarke has already said he'd vote to remain because his constituents did (in truth he's got lucky with his excuse there as he'd vote remain regardless).

Then there's those remainers who are rotting on the backbenchers with no chance of a return to power so long as May is PM (the revengers) Nicky Morgan and George Osborne for instance

I'm still a little puzzled why the general consensus seems to be that it would pass in parliament. 15 dental appointments doesn't seem like a lot to me, or even 8 voting against (assuming the opposition can hold their discipline of course)

I suspect the only way she solves this is through a general election, but even then there's enough remain support to deliver a hung parliament with the liberals as the big beneficiary. Would be interesting to see what UKIP did in a general if the Tories stood on a Brexit ticket? Would they even contest it? I suspect they'd field candidates against known remain sympathisers, cross party
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    I think the Remainers will seek amendments and thus delay the whole process indefinitely and as regards approving the leave process the House Of Lords will be more obstinate as they don't have to answer to voters.

Thanks
    I wrote to my MP [Heather Wheeler] several weeks ago and told her that I expected her to represent my 'remainer' views, re brexit. She won't, of course. She also supported Loathsome for party leader. I wish Anna Soubry was my MP. I think the worlds gone mad. If I didn't have children and grandchildren living nearby I'd go and live in the back of beyond and have no contact with the outside world except for my Coral Connect account.

Thanks
    As one who remains utterly confused about the ins-and-outs of Brexit, I found this lecture from Vernon Bogdanor helpful, and quite interesting

No idea where he resides on the political spectrum, nor if he was a Remainer or Leaver; so don't know how coloured by personal ideology the lecture is, but it seems quite 'balanced'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...pe-one-year-on

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9edfG1utRg

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bump. Nine months to go.

SlimChance, March 2018