Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nicky Henderson Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

The Nicky Henderson Thread

A New Year so going to start this one, be plenty to discuss I reckon.

Triolo D'Alene entered in the Neptune Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham on New Year's Day. first time over hurdles in nearly four years.

Edit* Also entered in 2 1/2 mile chase
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 29th December 2015 at 5:23 PM.

Thanks
    Becoming an increasingly difficult man to predict for me.

Full Shift and Ma Filleule two very recent examples of horses who put terrible recent form behind them.

It looks like he might have yet another decent juvenile to go to war with this year though following the first at Newbury this afternoon.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ma Filleule is just minted couldn't wait to back her today (after timing I know)

NJH is such a dick at times but how can you fault him as a trainer?

He had such bad luck with Sprinter Sacre it must have broke his heart to see the greatest chaser since Arkle become a walking invalid.

Once again he showed great patience and skill to nurse him back to winning ways.

For that alone he deserves a medal...so if you want to knock the man please don't bother directing it in my direction
    Last edited by Tanlic; 29th December 2015 at 5:47 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    A New Year so going to start this one, be plenty to discuss I reckon.

Triolo D'Alene entered in the Neptune Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham on New Year's Day. first time over hurdles in nearly four years.

Jonjo did same with Don't Push It...isn't TRD being aimed at Aintree?

Edit* Also entered in 2 1/2 mile chase
    Could
    Formely Fist of Fury

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Ma Filleule is just minted couldn't wait to back her today (after timing I know)

NJH is such a dick at times but how can you fault him as a trainer?

He had such bad luck with Sprinter Sacre it must have broke his heart to see the greatest chaser since Arkle become a walking invalid.

Once again he showed great patience and skill to nurse him back to winning ways.

For that alone he deserves a medal...so if you want to knock the man please don't bother directing it in my direction
    His patience with See You Then tells you everything you need to know about the word..very few would have got 3 CH's out of him.

Same with Hen Knight..she got ridiculed to death on this forum for cotton wooling Best Mate..now they all at it with their big guns..2 or 3 runs per season..the derision ends when it then becomes the way to get results and all the trendy trainers follow Hen's method. Its an achievement to run in 3 GC's..never mind win em.

Old Nicky looks a bit flakey these days but he's been at this game a long time..deserves some respect imo. No one has more patience bar probably Weld.
    Last edited by EC1; 29th December 2015 at 5:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    It looks like he might have yet another decent juvenile to go to war with this year though following the first at Newbury this afternoon.
    Ninth time in ten years he's won that race

Thanks
    Could he win the trainers championship this year?
    Paul Nicholls is having a horrible time at the moment.

Banned
    Thanks
    Nicholls having poor time for sure..runs are way down on expectation at the moment..Skelton also having a dip by his standards

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I'm just not getting the Henderson horses at all these days. Ma Filleule was a good thing at the weights last time and couldn't win. Peace And Co ran as though seriously short of fitness.

Triolo D'Alene is one of the best handicapped horses in training but Henderson said some time ago there was no point in training him for the National as you don't get good ground Nationals any more and he needs it good.

Then there was the suspiciously negative ride Bobs Worth got in the Hennessy. If Triolo D'Alene is very well handicapped these days it's nothing compared with Bobs Worth's current mark.

The other day as they turned for home at Kempton, only Sign Of A Victory looked comfortable at Faugheen's pace but as soon as Tinkler shook the reins he went into reverse. Was it deliberate or does the horse have a problem? He'd pulled the jockey's arms out until the turn for home on his seasonal debut so not finishing that day was forgivable but he absolutely cantered through the race the other day.

When I back Henderson's they fail to run to expectations and when I leave them alone they win.

I'm not a happy bunny.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Vaniteux ran ok as did Altior of course.

Not given up on Peace and Co yet either

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Vaniteux ran a great race. The best novice race either side of the sea this season.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I do suspect Peace And Co can do much better and I really like the look of Altior. Vaniteux did run well the other day too but too many of the horses aren't.

Even De Boinville suggested Sprinter Sacre underperformed the other day despite winning.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nicky is a great believer in running them at Kempton before Cheltenham and has always been of the mind it's a good track to sharpen them up beforehand.

If anything it was a bit too sharp for Altior but he eventually picked up and won easily....you would have to think Cheltenham is going to suit him big time with a stronger gallop than they went in the trial there.

He certainly looks more mature at this stage as either Sprinter Sacre or Spirit Son were when beaten by Al Ferof as was Cue Card

Truthfully he's going to have to be if the Mullins horse is as good as they seem to think. Personally I reckon Yanworth is the best Alan King has had in a very long time and is the one who'll prove it on the day.

Which is totally off the subject
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I backed Ma Filleule at the Hennessy but left her alone yesterday, so feel the pain as well...

interviewed at Kempton, Nicky said a few of his were a under the weather (including Buveur D'air who's got a runny nose) so even if he's testing them, a some will run under par. They all went well enough yesterday

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 875 Posts
    Certainly turned the corner in the last few days.
    Bivouac now favourite for the Lanzarote = no doubt helped by Noel Fehily jumping ship from the previous incumbent.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bivouac has been kept under wraps for 2 months to protect his mark for this as that's just about as good as he is.

Fehily surely never jumped ship Reet he is obliged to ride for S Conti's owner?

Harry Fry's looks a good thing for this with the young lad (So cool at Chleters) taking off 7lb
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 875 Posts
    Hope you're right on all counts, Fist, as I took 6's the Fry horse earlier in the week.

Thanks
    I can see why Bivouac is attractive, and Westren Warrior looks potentially unexposed with his second to Singlefarmpayment which subsequently dotted up at Cheltenham, and the WW routed of a field at Lingfield and only went up 7lb's. They look the two at the head of the market and I'll do a reverse forecast.

Un Ace is no outsider, his profile stacks up for the race, and on balance his profile suggests he may be a shade better on flat righted-handed tracks. He's also far less exposed (only 5 runs) over hurdles than you'd imagine. Going back he was only beaten 8 lengths in Vautour's Supreme which is form plenty good enough to beat these, and the rest of his hurdles form bares scrutiny. If I were recommending a bet he'd be the one as 16/1 ew is way to big. I'd also suggest backing him now as at least two of these are destined to go to Chepstow if the card survives.
    Last edited by Maruco; 8th January 2016 at 9:45 AM.

Thanks
    Gevrey Chambertin for me. He's gone up 9lbs for very easy win last time out, but has the good 5lb claimer on his back. Softer the better for him.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Gevrey Chambertin for me. He's gone up 9lbs for very easy win last time out, but has the good 5lb claimer on his back. Softer the better for him.
    Edit - Non runner - going to Chepstow instead. Pipe is a dick.