Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Bumper Thread

Thanks
    I see this Harrington one is out again on Sunday at Navan.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Hot bumper at Navan. Mullins only the third fav right now. Harringtons the jolly
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I'm no Irish bumper expert, but Our Duke looks proper exciting. The Elliot horse he beat last time came out and whacked a Mullins hotpot subsequently. 6/4 will do for me

Thanks

The Bumper Thread

Elliott's taking a lot of money too. Was very impressive at Down Royal also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kauto Abu; 13th December 2015 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    Elliott's taking a lot of money too. Was very impressive at Down Royal also.

Just about held on. Got 11/4 on it this morning. Returned 5/4.

Thanks
    High Bridge for John Ferguson looks very decent there, Rounting them by 15l under a penalty at Catterick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I look forward to it racking-up four wins in Novice Hurdles by October, before finishing tailed-off in the first Neptune trial of the season in November.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Best UK bumper of the season so far at Ascot this afternoon

Ballyandy won what is always a decent race at the Paddy Power meeting
    De Plotting Shed obviously has decent irish form (well behind Our Duke who ran a good 2nd in a listed bumper last week) but looks pretty short
    Burlington Bert v well touted
    Full Irish is the one that I like and looks overpriced at 5 or 6/1. Absolutely gagged up at Sandown. The forms been franked ok, but think he was miles better than them. Big EW bet for me

Thanks
    Harrington wins bumper today with another Milan gelding

she has some lovely horses coming through
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Harrington wins bumper today with another Milan gelding
    This horse won again yesterday

Look at the run and you will see how green he is, but still managed to win fairly comfortably

This one is an exciting horse - New To This Town for anyone who wants to track it
    Last edited by granger; 22nd January 2016 at 3:44 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

edgt (22nd January 2016)

Thanks
    Very Much So is set to head straight for the Champion Bumper at the Cheltenham Festival after an absence of almost two years.

Steve Massey, manager for the Supreme Horse Racing Club, said: "He's progressing nicely and while we could have maybe got a run in beforehand, we've decided to send him straight for the Champion Bumper."He's obviously had a few problems, but he seems to be over those now and Willie is very happy with him.
    "The Festival is only six and a half weeks away, so we felt that rather than running him a winners' bumper in heavy ground, we'd be better going straight there.
    "We know he's got an engine from what he showed at Punchestown, the form of that race has worked out well and he should get the better ground he wants at Cheltenham.
    "He's been off a long time and has had a few problems, but he seems to be over those now and Willie is very happy with him at the moment."

Thanks
    Vigil ran twice in the Champion bumper, as did Refinement.

Is there anything in the rules of the race to prevent Moon Racer doing the same?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For 4,5 and 6 year olds who have not run in more than 4 bumpers or French AQPS races from what I see from last year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe 7yos are excluded from the Champion Bumper, Art.

Edit: As Eddie says, MT doesn't meet the race conditions. IIRC, a lot of money went south (or was laid) about Like A Butterfly the year she was hoovering-up in Bumpers, despite being a non-qualifier for Cheltenham.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 5th February 2016 at 8:37 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanks gents

Thanks
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/live....024&category=0

Given the ground over the last few months, I expect there are quite a few horses that won't make Cheltenham and will be kept for Aintree and Punchestown. If the ground dries out for Cheltenham it will be worth remembering that most of the form is on soft or heavy so there might be a turn-up.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    I think this is the story you were trying to link to, Archie. It's no surprise to hear they're thinking about the Champion Bumper. Graham Wylie was quoted a while back as saying the owners were all hoping to get together to see her race one day. The obvious target would have been the mares bumper at Aintree but that falls in the same week as the Masters, which would hardly suit Messr Westwood and Chandler, so they might prefer to take on the boys at Cheltenham.

Augusta Kate may be rerouted to Cheltenham

BY JOHNNY WARD5:00PM 22 FEB 2016
    AUGUSTA KATE, whose famous owners had said she was likely to run at Sandown and miss Cheltenham, could be in line for a surprise switch to the Weatherbys Champion Bumper.
    The mare is undefeated in two starts and as low as 7-1 for the Grade 1, but was expected to swerve the Festival in favour of a Listed mares' bumper at Sandown on March 12. This plan was recently confirmed by Graham Wylie, who owns the mare with former Newcastle United and England footballer Alan Shearer, golfer Lee Westwood and TV presenters Ant and Dec.
    Mullins ran six horses in the Champion Bumper last season but it is unlikely he will have so many next month, especially as Gigginstown House Stud - owners of Avenir D'Une Vie and Lucky Pass - tend not to target the race.
    Mullins said on Monday: "Augusta Kate is working nicely. We've sort of said we'd go for the Sandown race but we might rejig it and go to Cheltenham instead. She is very hard to evaluate as she does not show at home what she does on the racetrack.
    "So far so good with her. We had nominated Sandown but I'd say everything is open at the moment."
    Other options
    Avenir D'Une Vie recorded a Racing Post Rating of 136, the best achieved in an Irish bumper this season, when bolting up at Navan on Sunday. However, Mullins said he was happy with whatever Gigginstown decide with regard to his plans.
    "I don't mind if they leave him at home for Irish races. He has been showing us plenty for some time and the two times he was beaten we were disappointed really.
    "Lucky Pass is not going to Cheltenham. Battleford is likely to run andBacardys is another one. Very Much So goes. Some Neck will probably stay at home."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    J P McManus has bought Castello Sforza, but no decision yet on potential Champion Bumper bid.

Thanks
    Not much depth apparent in this year's crop. Could be that conditions have had an effect. Money and a possible McManus gamble put Castello Forza into the reckoning but I fail to see why there has been money for Admiral Chief. It is true that Gigginstown don't like to have bumper horses at Cheltenham or is that just theory? Ballyandy could be something but for me New to this Town has the standout performance so far. I gather the stable are positive and I've taken some good early prices (NB.Including some to trade in order to have a balanced portfolio.) Granger has twice drawn attention to the horse and, if the market moves reflect confidence, could well have identified a real prospect at a working man's price.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (23rd February 2016)

Thanks
    Agree with you Tout Seul (and Granger) that New to this Town needs to be respected; particularly on his defeat of Avenir D'Une Vie. The really intriguing one for me of Mullins horses is Very Much So. He hasn't run for almost years but is, apparently, a definite runner. When he won his first race Mullins seemed genuinely surprised. He was always lined up for last year's Champion Bumper but it didn't quite work out; could be interesting this year. My sense is that the Irish Bumper form is, once again, average but the difference this year is that the English form is pretty average as well. It's an open year and with the hope/prospect of better ground than for three months it's very difficult to be too dogmatic.