Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    155 it is. Still good money
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    One day when I hit the riches I’ll be buying this sort of horse. That’s the dream anyway.

Thanks
    Friday's sale.
    http://www.tattersallscheltenham.com.../CNO%2019/Main

Lot 26 is a full sister to Laurina.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    I remember playing football against Kevin Doyle 20 years ago

How our fortunes drastically changed
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Friday's sale.
    http://www.tattersallscheltenham.com.../CNO%2019/Main

Lot 26 is a full sister to Laurina.
    Will the sale go ahead now the racing is off?
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Will the sale go ahead now the racing is off?
    Been moved forward to 1300.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggers1972 For This Useful Post:

G-G (14th November 2019)

Thanks
    Watching the Tatts Ireland sale as shortly two of the family due to go through shortly, boosted by the winning debut of She's A Rocca yesterday. The amazing dam who originally cost the owners £500 still having winners.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

trudij (15th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Tattersalls Sale at Cheltenham Racecourse just starting, live coverage here

http://db.tattersalls.ie/4DCGI/Sale/Live?site=CHE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

trudij (15th November 2019)

Thanks
    Watching the Tatts Ireland sale as shortly two of the family due to go through shortly, boosted by the winning debut of She's A Rocca yesterday. The amazing dam who originally cost the owners £500 still having winners.
    Oh that would be nice, though I’m clearly going to have to rely on other members of Grape’s offspring to get a similar story how did the ones you were watching for do?

My filly made €5000 on Monday - fairly pleased with that, the prices were really bad when I was watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

granger (15th November 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trudij View Post
    Oh that would be nice, though I’m clearly going to have to rely on other members of Grape’s offspring to get a similar story how did the ones you were watching for do?

My filly made €5000 on Monday - fairly pleased with that, the prices were really bad when I was watching.

Well done! Do you know where she is going?
    Haven't seen a lot but thought some were struggling to sell at all. One filly made 16k by Flemensfirth, (she looked nice from what I could see on the stream) the other filly was a buy back at 5k, which they will be disappointed with as they need to sell. They did have another one entered but was withdrawn a couple of days before.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Elliott out spending Noel Moran's millions today I see

Thanks
    Well done! Do you know where she is going?
    Haven't seen a lot but thought some were struggling to sell at all. One filly made 16k by Flemensfirth, (she looked nice from what I could see on the stream) the other filly was a buy back at 5k, which they will be disappointed with as they need to sell. They did have another one entered but was withdrawn a couple of days before.

Yes - I tuned in about 10 lots before mine and lots didn’t seem to sell at all. Not ideal at all.

James black bought her - hopefully she will have a nice life and be happy and well looked after.

#YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Sold for £155k to Kevin Doyle ex professional footballer.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ll-965512.html

Thanks
    A fun fact and a possible value angle for tomorrow's big race;-

Altior's 8th dam is the 5th dam of Southernair who finished third in the race in 1988 when it was a handicap. Conversely, Solomon Grey is 13/11 with 1985 runner up Buck House and 13/10 with Door Latch who was runner up in 1984.

Such useless information which might have taken weeks to unearth was reduced to minutes thanks to the thoroughbred family numbers. Which brings me to a question for those who have actually participated in the breeding side of the sport.

Do you make use of thoroughbred family numbers in your work or is it generally a fun but largely irrelevant periodic table of taproots? Furthermore, are there any sophisticated and comprehensive databases available for public use or am I stuck with building my own using what I can find on galopp-sieger, france-galop, pedigreequery, sporthorse-data, old timeform annuals, archived sales catalogues and so forth?

Also, Call Me Lord is 10/8 with Mistinguett (2nd in the 1996 Ascot Hurdle) and 10/9 with Count Campioni (2nd in 1999). There are no runners in the Lancashire Chase related to previous contestants.

Thanks
    My mare was a Kayf Tara and I was struggling to find a non SW stallion in the UK ( she couldn't have gone abroad for months without me- no seriously, she would have not taken or lost it), step in my friend Nigel, who researches/studies pedigrees , has helped out and had some recognition in the writing of books about stallions. He has set up his own 'database' but has fabulous knowledge. 5 generations back on both sides of the pedigree for my mare and my two boys' sire are two full brothers, and that was part of his research/suggestion for her mating plans. He uses a lot of written knowledge in the form of old form books. I can gladly ask him for you for sources? I know he uses pedigreequery amongst others for reference. I have a pile of sales catalogues to give him as well, and I know he uses those.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

Bachelors Hall (22nd November 2019)

Thanks
    That would be genuinely appreciated, thank you!

I do like pedigreequery but as with wikipedia, it can suffer from inaccuracies due to the fact that anybody can update the site, add horses and so forth. Thankfully, most seem to contribute in good faith but it can not account for human error. I really like the layout of galopp-sieger but the jumps side is skeletal at best and frustratingly, the site does not allow outsiders to fill in the considerable gaps. As such, I am having to create my own databases which while terribly time consuming, is very much its own reward.

Shame your girl is an unhappy traveller as I have an inkling that Kingston Hill could develop into a handy jumps stallion for the price...
    Last edited by Bachelors Hall; 22nd November 2019 at 9:56 PM.

Thanks
    I'll gladly ask him for you.
    My mare is sadly no longer here She hated any kind of change. Would get so stressed out, even if you changed fields you had to go with her and stay with her until she settled. In all other ways she was fabulous. Oh and wouldn't share her food. Miss her desperately.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

Bachelors Hall (25th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thank you

I am sorry to hear about your mare. In my very limited experience around horses, I have noticed that some of the more troublesome horses to manage also have the sweetest souls which can make difficult decisions all the more heart wrenching. Is this the girl who had that winner at Catterick last week? You may already be aware but looking at the thoroughbred family, the boy shares a maternal ancestor with the likes of Barathea, Polynesian and Soviet Line from the flat along with jumping greats Gaye Brief, Gaye Chance and Nupsala!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachelors Hall View Post
    Thank you

I am sorry to hear about your mare. In my very limited experience around horses, I have noticed that some of the more troublesome horses to manage also have the sweetest souls which can make difficult decisions all the more heart wrenching. Is this the girl who had that winner at Catterick last week? You may already be aware but looking at the thoroughbred family, the boy shares a maternal ancestor with the likes of Barathea, Polynesian and Soviet Line from the flat along with jumping greats Gaye Brief, Gaye Chance and Nupsala!
    Thank you , one of the worst days of my life when she was put down. Still cry over her two and a half years later. Yes Nigel has filled me in with her family tree!
    She was good as gold, I had no real experience of handling horses before her. I couldn't have asked for more of her. She just didn't like change. Complete wuz bag in the pecking order in a field, one day literally standing behind me 'cos another mare was picking on her, but if you asked her to stand still, she'd be there two hours later. SM is like that and chilled out about everything except when he comes into the paddock before a race, then really on his toes and buzzing. Brodie, the 3 year old full brother idiot I have at home, is complete opposite. Doesn't know the meaning of stand still, don't do that, no Brodie, BRODIE NO!! Into everything he can get in to, picks up poo pickers and swings them, runs across the paddock with them, knocks over full barrows and thinks it's funny, and will try and do it again if you let him, tries to pull the plug out of the water trough after I've cleaned it and its refilling, putting hay out, he wants the bit you have in your hand, will literally follow me round trying to get into my pocket 'cos he knows I have treats in there........luckily every one at the yard loves him but if I had a Pound for every time one of them says...'do you know what your Brodie did today?'
    Vote Alfie!!!!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

Bachelors Hall (26th November 2019), Colin Phillips (26th November 2019), jinnyj (26th November 2019)

Thanks
    I do enjoy how basically every horse fast and slow, big and small, mean and gentle, for all the quirks under the rainbow, has a notable relative or two. On one occasion as I watched a horse nonchalantly poop into his water, I thought to myself "hmm, that boy is related to Birds Nest".

Without wishing to be too schmaltzy, it does sound like your girl is still very much alive. For every lesson she taught about handling horses, for every memory which pops into your mind and for all of her boys' shenanigans and exploits, a very real part of her is still with you. She isn't gone forever. Just as the caterpillar becomes a butterfly, your girl has changed from a mass of bone and muscle to a part of you which you can experience, treasure and enjoy. She's also become a part of us who enjoyed reading about her so thank you for sharing her with us

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bachelors Hall For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (27th November 2019), G-G (26th November 2019), trudij (26th November 2019)