Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: This and That...

Thanks
    Sleepy Dawlish is something of a 'county lines' drug hub isn't it? I believe a mob of Geordie dealers were run out of town last year, who got to know the area as children when holidaying in the caravan parks on Dawlish Warren. I recall a pub above the Warren with splendid views across the Exe estuary

I regard Teignmouth as the Skegness of Devon i.e low on the list of places to visit on the riviera, though have a jolly memory of being told off for kicking a 'shove ha'penny' machine in an amusement parlour. Mind you I was only around 35 at the time, so was quickly forgiven

Have you tanked it up to the Dartmoor tors yet? Must be lovely this time of year

I'm not much of a daytime radio 2 listener, preferring radio 3, but do like some of the evening shows: Jools Holland, Clare Teal, Cerys Matthews, Don Black, Jamie Cullum; and do 'catch up' after sunset with daytime Tony Blackburn and Johnnie Walker

Some good shows too on BBC local radio such as Henry Ayrton, Geoff Barker, Colin Bunyan; all of whom are off-air at present due to being old farts in self-isolation. I should probably join them

I value BBC Radio far more than BBC TV

Banned
    Thanks
    I was surprized about the drugs thing, glad that the Mackems - most were from Sunderland - are banged up now. Love a walk by the brook in Dawlish where the black swans roam and always pop in Gay's Creamery for a pasty and/or a big chunk of carrot cake, they do proper portions in Gay's. Teignmouth is a bit rough round the edges but has a good little shop where they make leather boots and shoes, right up your street I'd imagine. Not forgetting the mask shop, not the masks that people are buying now, but masks which allow you to be anyone you want - Bowie being one of my faves ( not weird at all!) I know a good spot to park for free in Teignmouth not far from the front and do like a walk across the den and on the pier, past the machines which I try not to play. Shaldon is nice to walk around as well.

Would normally have 'tanked' back up the moor by now, but my hip is playing me up, touch of arthritis, so taking it easy for a while. A friend I spent new year with in Locking is a fan of radio 3 but I'm not converted yet and rarely listen to radio in the evening. This must be one of the longest posts I've made, usually keep them brief as I'm a one finger typer - so think yourself lucky
    Last edited by Wolf; 25th May 2020 at 1:49 AM.

Thanks
    Dartmoor is looking stunning from where I live at the moment - I adore the way the shadows fall over some and the other parts look so bright !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Just chatted to a friend from Dartmouth just now who told me she'd been walking on Dartmoor last week. So envious.

Banned
    Thanks
    Didn't know you lived on or that near to the moor, Trudi. Thought you were more Dorset/ Somerset border way. But could be getting confused (certainly not for the first time) with Raisin's trainer - BB- who is based that way. Hope you and yours are well

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf For This Useful Post:

trudij (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    I was in Poole until a couple of years ago - now I’m in a little village called Winkleigh, just north of the A30.

#YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

Banned
    Thanks
    OH right, that's not too far north of Dartmoor - glad you can see it on a clear day

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf For This Useful Post:

trudij (25th May 2020)

Thanks
    We can see it even when it’s not clear ( just!!)

#YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

11. The Following User Says Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

Wolf (25th May 2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Private Messaging - I know it's fairly popular on here as you've only got to click on a name and see their current activity. The late-nighters are often at it. That's maybe surprising with calls and texts being free for most? Anyway, are they really private? I know that on one of the first groups I joined re gambling -W2W- the boss ( a sad scouse fella called Keith who reckoned he was a pro gambler) made it obvious to me that he'd read a private message that I'd sent to another member which was not complimentary about him.

I've joined many racing/gambling forums over what must be about twenty years since then, but always been careful what I say in the few PMs that I've sent. The last one was fairly recent to our old friend gamble on TRF and I mentioned about the validity of the 'private' part of such messages - he agreed that admin can probably read them. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Public ones or private
    Last edited by Wolf; 11th June 2020 at 1:38 AM.

Thanks
    “ We must have a conversation on this, it cannot continue. You don’t and can’t know what it is. Don’t you dare interrupt me. You are all the same, it’s systemic. It must change. You won’t listen. You’re privileged and look down on us. You Let me finish. I’m not listening!”

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Private Messaging - I know it's fairly popular on here as you've only got to click on a name and see their current activity. The late-nighters are often at it. That's maybe surprising with calls and texts being free for most? Anyway, are they really private? I know that on one of the first groups I joined re gambling -W2W- the boss ( a sad scouse fella called Keith who reckoned he was a pro gambler) made it obvious to me that he'd read a private message that I'd sent to another member which was not complimentary about him.

I've joined many racing/gambling forums over what must be about twenty years since then, but always been careful what I say in the few PMs that I've sent. The last one was fairly recent to our old friend gamble on TRF and I mentioned about the validity of the 'private' part of such messages - he agreed that admin can probably read them. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Public ones or private
    I reckon if you don’t say anything in private that you wouldn’t say to their face, you’re all good.

#YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (11th June 2020), Wolf (11th June 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

No they aren't completely private. I can, if I wish, read them, however before anyone panics......
    I have to go into the database properly, so download it and open it in excell. Then everything is time dated, so pm's don't run in order, so if someone sends a pm, then if there are 10 posts, then a PM by someone else, then 15 posts, then 3 pm's by others, then the first pm is replied to, thats where the pm sits. I don't see quoted messages or anything, only the text that is written by the sender. It's an absolute nightmare to read them.

More to the point though, the only time I would do that would be if there were a potential legal problem and I thought it was justified. To give an idea, the only time in 20 years I can recall reading pm's when when Phil Waters was accused of inappropriate messages to one of Alan's daughters.

So the simple answer really is yes, they are private, I've honestly got better things to do than read though private messages, last time I did (above) it took half a day, so not something I want to repeat

Edit: just also to say, if I was made aware of something that could cause legal problems, what I would most likely do would be restrict access to the account(s), login as that member and screenshot the offending PM's, rather than trawl through the database again. It would be much easier. In case anyone thinks I do that, to login I have to change the password, I can't see the current one, so you would get an 'incorrect password' prompt next time you signed in, so I can't do it without alerting you.
    Last edited by dvds2000; 11th June 2020 at 10:28 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    “ We must have a conversation on this, it cannot continue. You don’t and can’t know what it is. Don’t you dare interrupt me. You are all the same, it’s systemic. It must change. You won’t listen. You’re privileged and look down on us. You Let me finish. I’m not listening!”

Have the meds worn off?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks for the explanation, Boss

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    That's a familiar conversation in the Orchid hacienda.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trudij View Post
    I reckon if you don’t say anything in private that you wouldn’t say to their face, you’re all good.

Okay then. I have always loved you truly, trudji.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

trudij (11th June 2020)

Thanks
    Lol, I could tell you all my thoughts about you, but it would take far too long

#YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

Thanks
    The nation, on the whole, responded brilliantly to the restrictions brought about by the need to combat Covid. Support for the NHS staff brought people out to applaud the fantastic efforts of people of all races fighting the common enemy. These people, many patently underpaid, made and continue to make a huge commitment despite often being under protected and especially in the case of BAME individuals, at substantial risk to their lives.
    Brexit was put aside, the whole nation applauded , no room for discrimination or name calling, good, decent people that we as a nation admired.
    I made the mistake of saying to my family that this was a significant time for a major step forward for integration. Then the awful murder of a man in Minneapolis is rightfully condemned by people through the world. Activists here seize the opportunity to argue that BAME suffer the same type of discrimination at the hands of the police in the UK.
    A great platform for positive change severely damaged by both experts and so called celebrities that follow the format

There are serious issues still to be addressed but alienating a supportive audience is not the way.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

an capall (12th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Well said, TS.

Most people I know up here have been voicing similar concerns but you've done so much more eloquently.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Banned
    Thanks
    I get your drift now, TS.

Your first post without the explanation was hard to understand, though - and I've done a twenty year study on the writings of gamble.