Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223

Thread: This and That...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wolfie.

Moehat has messaged me. She is absolutely fine. She said she is having trouble posting or using the site on her new Ipad. She backed a few winners at Royal Ascot and sounds in good form.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thank you, Marb, you're a gent.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I found an interesting article in the Irish Daily Mirror. Someone out there thought they should vandalise a statue of Sean Russell recently.

In the article a cleaner said this in relation to Sinn Fein leader Sean Russell's statue being defaced by LGBT activists. I think she's probably right.

"Now, obviously the statues that are in question in America and in England are slaveholders, slave traders, Confederate generals, this type of thing and Sean Russell was in the total opposite camp of that spirit.

"Sean Russell was an anti-imperialist fighter, he was a fighter for freedom, not against freedom as these statues in America have been, so I would just encourage people to read up on his history and Irish history in general."

Whoever doesn't get her point really should do some political soul searching.

Were Roosevelt, Lincoln, Washington, Clinton, Bush, Nixon, Reagan ever real Irish names in the first place?

There have definately been Irish Senators etc with authority in America, Senator McCormack etc.

The question is whether they were the perpetrators or the authors of the confederate states inception, or did they arrive to America from Irish immigrant families in the late 19th century as part of a different generation to the one which enslaved Black Americans/Africans.

Of course there are Irish people who may be racist or have racist attitudes due to a lack of knowledge or not having many black people within their culture. Of course the celts did slavery in Europe to come extent.

However, they (the Irish State) aren't and weren't the primary causal factor in the Black African Slave trade.

Also, there has only really ever been one American president with a proper Irish name. He was called John F Kennedy.

He saved the world from a nuclear conflict for which many of us might not even be here today. Maybe his statue will be next but I certainly hope not.
    Last edited by Marb; 25th June 2020 at 12:55 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Good luck with getting any replies to that, mate. Well, apart from this one

Thanks
    Hi Wolfie; thanks for being concerned about me; it's much appreciated. I can read threads on my ipad but can't reply and am scared of messing with the settings as I depend so much on the internet these days. Pity my long intended visit to my friend in Dartmouth has to be put on hold yet again due to the virus but, when it does we'll have to meet up with you. She often takes herself of't'themoors. I'll be offline [with my computer] for a few more weeks but normal service will resume in August. I worry if someone disappears off the internet these days. Frightening, isn't it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

dvds2000 (1st July 2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    It is, Moe, and some never return

I can understand what you're saying about your ipad. I put off having a smartphone for years and was happy with my Doro mobile dumbphone and desktop for internet use. Bit I have given in and now have a shiny new Huawei P smart - can't get used to it though, but learning all the time

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf For This Useful Post:

dvds2000 (1st July 2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Still use desktop 95% of the time, so much easier with a proper size keyboard. Even a short text on the mobile takes me forever with the phone keyboard. I sent one yesterday and tried to use a bracket- easy on desktop ( but I gave up with the phone. Could see it but no matter what key I used it didn't work for me. it was there above a letter laughing at me- when I pressed the upper key thingy, the letter just changed to high case. Tried loads of times but only got option of lower or higher case of said letter. Grrr

Had no probs with such things on my trusty Doro 'dumbphone'
    Last edited by Wolf; 1st July 2020 at 1:02 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf For This Useful Post:

dvds2000 (1st July 2020)

Thanks
    I know exactly what you mean, my thumbs are too big for the keys on my phone. I’m forever sending garbled messages, although the predictive text can help, it learns to predict words that you use often.
    I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm noticing that, walsworth, even though I've not sent many texts on it, the words are popping up underneath and make things much easier. There's hope for me yet.