Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: This and That...

Thanks
    How weird; I 've just started reading a book I've had for years but never got round to reading; it's by Lynn Truss. I've just read a chapter which mentions the Bobbit case from years back. Supposedly Mrs Bobbit threw her husbands penis away after she'd chopped it off, but the police found it. The author was astounded that the police could find something like that when most missing things tend to stay missing.

Banned
    Thanks
    I see that Mac has had his knife out again and stuck it right in the heart of one of the best posters on RTF (anag)This is his usual response to anyone who has what he sees as the temerity to see him for what he is.

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    There's been a further development in the case.

The man was awarded criminal damages of $20,000 but has since been reconciled with his wife.

He's been offered reconstructive surgery at a cost of $2000 per inch. He asked for time to discuss things with his wife before arriving at a decision.

He duly got back to the surgeon and told him, "We're getting a new kitchen"
    Illegitimi non carborundum

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

moehat (25th February 2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    I do quite like my own company, as this thread proves. Should stand me in good stead for the coming couple of months or so, hopefully.

If only people had taken Coronavirus more seriously such draconian measures may not have been needed, and I'm as guilty as most on that score.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I think the vast majority of the population is guilty of underestimating the virus.

Only last week I was talking about jumping in the car and driving down the coast for a walk along the front. I was assuming there would be nobody else there.

Talk about deluded?

I still haven't done any panic buying or stockpiling but between the kitchen fridge, the fridge in the garage, the kitchen freezer and the big 'cold' cupboard in the utility room, we probably have enough to get through a few weeks, only needing to pop out for perishables like bread and milk.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Wolf (25th March 2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    I get bread and milk if it's there but not too bothered if not, can live without it no probs. Only thing I've stocked up on is red wine, should always be able to get that anyway, but just in case!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I do quite like my own company, as this thread proves. Should stand me in good stead for the coming couple of months or so, hopefully.
    Being naturally somewhat introverted and asocial (not antisocial I hasten to add) I do not find 'social distancing' particularly difficult, though the thought of being confined to four walls is horrid so I'm thankful that we're still permitted to go for walks and, in my case cultivate my allotment. Both of these pastimes have always been enjoyed largely alone, so the restrictions imposed thus far are for me no more than a minor inconvenience, and I feel very privileged that that is all they are

Banned
    Thanks
    Glad to hear that, Drone.
    Last edited by Wolf; 25th March 2020 at 8:25 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Edited the above as I'd said about probably not being able to drive to allotment, but after a quick google - It seems like you're fine to walk, pushbike or drive to it

Had the option of an allotment about seven years ago but didn't take it up. At least I've got a garden so that's some blessed relief.

Thanks
    We've been busy checking with the relevant authorities whether it's permissible to continue cultivating allotments and I'm glad to say it is, with the obvious proviso that the strict gathering and distancing rules are obeyed. Think I'll be busier than usual there as we're organising help for the many old codgers with gardens who are forced to isolate at home. Hardly a chore as I'll essentially be doing what I enjoy doing anyway

5 minutes away by pushbike, 10 minutes walk so no prob. Don't own a car now, just hire one from time to time and don't think I'll be doing that for a while

Just have a glorified backyard at home which is fine to sit and read in but only big enough to grow pot plants

Days continue contentedly, if not exactly filled with happiness

Thanks
    Lots of butterflies around at the moment which cheer me up quite a bit....

Thanks
    There are, saw a brimstone and several peacocks yesterday. Birdsong is building, blackthorn is flowering and came across a mass of frogspawn in a pond recently...simple pleasures are the greatest pleasures

Thanks
    On our daily dog walk today we had a Ferrari driver driving up and down the lane at speed. F11 JDR if anyone knows someone with a red Ferrari but no brain....saw a Buzzard flying lower than I've ever seen one fly before. Only one, though. Do they not pair up till later in the year. Whenever I see one Buzzard I always look around for the other.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    There are, saw a brimstone and several peacocks yesterday. Birdsong is building, blackthorn is flowering and came across a mass of frogspawn in a pond recently...simple pleasures are the greatest pleasures
    Good to see you alive and kicking, Drone.

We built a small pond in the garden a couple of years ago, and are now routinely visited by a heron (every other morning or so), who seems to be on a mission to empty it of spawn and frogs.

I live about 1.5 miles as the crow flies from Edinburgh Castle, and as a life-long city boy, I am still amazed that such exotic creatures would appear anywhere near our gaff.

To one and all - stay safe.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 26th March 2020 at 8:09 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

We built a small pond in the garden a couple of years ago, and are now routinely visited by a heron (every other morning or so), who seems to be on a mission to empty it of spawn and frogs.

I live about 1.5 miles as the crow flies from Edinburgh Castle, and as a life-long city boy, I am still amazed that such exotic creatures would appear anywhere near our gaff.

My mum and dad had koi carp for 30 years and bred them,took a heron a summer to take the lot,a lot of them home bred as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

What I'd give to be able to just jump on the train and nip up to Edinburgh. Also Micky Hammond put up a video of his string going up to the moor at Middleham, and I can just close my eyes and be there. The sound of the hooves clip clopping on the cobblestones and the cry of the curlews on the moor. So many beautiful things we take for granted. Oh and that gun going off at, is it 12 or 1, which makes everyone who doesn't come from Edinburgh jump out of their skin.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The infamous 'One O'Clock Gun', Moe.

I'm east of the Castle. I can't see it from my gaff, but I get a decent view of the Festival/Hogmanay fireworks from my bedroom window.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 26th March 2020 at 9:48 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Some more "simple pleasures"

Went for a walk beside the river this morning, which amongst its other delights has a small wooded nature reserve. A quiet half hour sitting, listening and watching presented me with the ringing retort of woodpeckers drumming, yet more butterflies, two robins either scrapping or courting, early-rising honeybees grazing the equally early flowers of white deadnettle, birdsong...what amazing birdsong, and the nascent white-noise of a myriad creepy-crawlies emerging from winter

It was sunny, so very still and so lacking the madding crowd's usual distant din. I bumped into (at a safe 2 metres) someone else enjoyng the solitude: 'It's so wonderfully peaceful' she said, to which I replied 'yes, but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons'