Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Semi finals

Thanks
    Mascherano wins everything.

Thanks
    I was thinking Germany -2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    This World Cup has gone from being only behind 82 and 86 in my experience to just being another average one. The knockout games have been largely awful.

Thanks
    Yeah agreed. I'm tempted to go to bed. Absolute poison.

Thanks
    At least the NFL is only a couple of months away.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    At least the NFL is only a couple of months away.
    amen

think my interest in association football has dwindled to the point where i can barely hold an interest unless i've punted on it. luckily i punt on football more than any other sport. 20+ years of watching the sport intently has served me well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is really depressing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRB View Post
    amen

think my interest in association football has dwindled to the point where i can barely hold an interest unless i've punted on it. luckily i punt on football more than any other sport. 20+ years of watching the sport intently has served me well.
    I feel pretty much done with club football at this point. Maybe a decent CL game would get me going but the PL is too corporate and with the rip off prices you may as well be supporting Starbucks as Man United.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Pile of shite, tactical genius, my arse.

Kuyt on the left touchline, either passed it back inside or gave it away.

Huntelaar on the field yet Vlar takes the first penno.

What a waste of 2.75 hours.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Holland had a few chances late on but I felt overall Argentina marginally shaded the game and deserved to go through. At least the penalty decider was emphatic.

The final should be really good. Might go to penalties again!
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Why get to a World Cup Semi Final and not try to win the game? Argentina were as usual, abysmal and yet the Dutch didnt attack??

Dreadful team through to the final but dont care who wins.

I despise both countries.

Banned
    Thanks
    I switched to x hamster

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I saw last night's game being described as 'drab' somewhere earlier this morning (BBC?).

I thought it was a decent enough game. People's expectations will have been raised beyond credibility after the other semi and that game itself might have influenced the tactics for last night. Open up against top opposition and you could be inviting disaster.

I thought Argentina were quite impressive defensively. Germany might struggle to break down that defence. Argentina also found different ways past the Dutch defence but the Germans will be even tighter.

I'm still hoping the wee man can score a couple and end up at least joint top scorer.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Banned
    Thanks
    i think Man u fans will have some dull saturday afternoons ahead

Thanks
    Would be ncie to see a team let Messi play, rather than put 3 around him every time he receives the ball. (Purely from a selfish point of view!)

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Would be ncie to see a team let Messi play, rather than put 3 around him every time he receives the ball. (Purely from a selfish point of view!)
    to be fair..if he's as good as people believe..it shouldn't matter...at least its not Tommy Smith..Norman Hunter or Chopper marking him. Good players have it easier today than in the past with the protection they get....he would have spent most time up in the air if he'd played in the 60's & 70's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    i think Man u fans will have some dull saturday afternoons ahead
    I don't honestly consider myself one of these anymore but you can only play with what you have and Robben aside Gaal had dick yesterday. And Dirk.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I don't honestly consider myself one of these anymore but you can only play with what you have and Robben aside Gaal had dick yesterday. And Dirk.
    who told kuyt to keep doing that silly nonsense though Euro?..as Colin said..he just received the ball...turned towards his own goal..then went in field..did it at least 30/40 times..was really annoying..Townsend only spotted late in 2nd half..it pissed me off all night. He must have been told to do that..it was so mechanical

i don't like the tactics of the Dutch team at all..every time a midfield player received the ball it was with a mind to looking back not forwards..even the first touch knocked the ball back towards their own goal.

If he uses those tactics at Old Trafford he will be more unpopular than Moyes...mechanical football..looks sh*te and is ineffective...kuyt was like a wind up player just doing the same move all night..ineffective move as well.

That goalkeeper nonsense in the penalty shoot out also wants stamping out..another ugly tedious tactic...its cheating.. and imo if a keeper goes anywhere near the player coming to take the penalty they should deem it that the player has scored without having to take the shot..that would put a stop to it.
    Last edited by EC1; 10th July 2014 at 9:30 AM.

Thanks
    I was disappointed with Messi last night, he was walking around for the second half and most of extra time having no affect on the game, I read an article last week highlighting that he does the least amount of running of any player in la liga because he watches the game and only comes to life when he sees an opportunity to run into space, that's fine but as captain of his country in a WC semi final there has to be periods in the game where he puts in a shift and leads by example.

Argentina wont roll over in the final but I cannot see anything but a German win, Mascherano cannot do it all on his own against their midfield and honestly the Germans deserve to be World champions.
    Last edited by Jakers; 10th July 2014 at 9:48 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    As a Brazil backer, I'm happy to retain Fred. Dante may not be Silva but he holds down a place at Bayern so he should know how to handle the German forwards. I'm hoping that the only other change in personnel from the Colombia match will be the return of Gustavo in place of Neymar, allowing Oscar to stay up field and giving more cover when the fullbacks bomb on. Willian can come on after an hour or so, either for Oscar or Paulinho depending on the match situation. Germany have had an easy run through and, while I was confident that they would take care of France, I'm not convinced that they're up to beating the hosts.
    2/10. Had Scolari used more defensive tactics early on they might have been able to grow into the game. As it was, the second goal was rather like Ali's (?) bolo punch which completely scrambled whatever brains they had.
    If they had a fully fit Aguero and Di Maria, Argentina would be a confident selection. As it is, Di Maria is out and it looks like they may be tempted to play a half fit Aguero in his place. I've said all along that Higuain and Aguero like to occupy the same space and I much prefer Aguero but after his goal against Belgium, Higuain's confidence will be high and I'd be inclined to start with Aguero on the bench to come on later if necessary. Argentina's defence has improved as the competition has gone on, protecting what looks to be a slightly dodgy goalie, and that has been mainly due to my player of the tournament so far, Mascherano, who has been superb sweeping up across the front of the back four. The Netherlands are dangerous on the break but it seems unlikely that Argentina will over-commit and a low scoring match looks inevitable unless there's an early goal. Argentina to shade it for me.
    8/10. At least Sabella was paying attention. As Bar said, Mascherano ran the game, and the dodgy goalie came good.
    The older I get the better I was.