Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Semi finals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two average teams in the semi tonight, but only one of them has a game-changer in their side.

Argies to edge it against the Netherlands, then get humped by the Fatherland in the final.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Banned
    Thanks
    game changer versus team..tough one

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    game changer versus team..tough one
    I don't think Holland play any more as a 'team' than the Argies, to be honest.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I think there were definite signs in the q final that some of the other Argies could play a bit. At least until half time anyway then they retreated into their shells for me. I think they'll miss di Maria for all that he's put in a shocker or two. Hard to see them defending as shockingly as Brazil and Holland also have several weak links in defence. Wide open IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I don't think Holland play any more as a 'team' than the Argies, to be honest.
    oh i do..some of the stuff the argies have played isn't far behind what we watched last night..dire in some of the games

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Taking away Messi and Robben, the 2 players who can be said to make their teams one-man teams, do you think Holland are a better all round team?

Banned
    Thanks
    yes

Thanks
    On what basis? Sneidjer has been average, RVP has been poor apart from the Spain game and the rest are terrible. Dirk Kuyt might be one of the worst players at the Tournament.

Banned
    Thanks
    just on the basis of nearly falling asleep when the Argies play..not scientific or stats based or player based..just a general feeling that Holland have played better..overall

just my view..i'll back Holland to win it..no big deal to me..i only have interest bets on this stuff...if you guys are putting big wonga on then just ignore me..go with your instincts

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think the Dutch back 3 are 3 of the worst footballers in the tournament, and whilst the Argies are poor enough themselves, I reckon the Dutch could get taken apart by 3/4. De Vrij (sp) is okay, Martins Indy and Vlaar play like Sunday league players. It's funny to watch how when they receive a pass, they have to stop it and pass it on only after it's under control - it's like it's their first ever game of football!
    Last edited by Hamm; 9th July 2014 at 2:17 PM.

Thanks
    We know that Brazil were shocking last night, but is the massive improvement shown by the Germans down to just this or to Lahm being moved to his best position or a combination of both?
    Prior to last night Germany had looked very mediocre, (lucky to avoid defeat against both Algeria and Ghana, and hardly impressive against France).

Maybe they are just going through the gears and are peaking at the right moment?
    I have a feeling the Argies may do similar
    Last edited by tiggers1972; 9th July 2014 at 2:17 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The Lahm move hugely significant, imo.

Reverting to a flat back-four and putting five across the middle (with Klose as lone striker) has allowed the Germans to not only dominate posession, but has given licence to Kedira (less so), Schweinstieger, Kroos and Muller to roam all over the pitch, making them next to impossible to mark - and generating attacks from both flanks and up the middle. With Lahm controlling a very high-line, Germany are effectively able to switch from defence to attack very quickly, without resorting to the kind of Route-One tactics that Brazil were guilty of.

He might have been pressured into it, but regardless, Loew has pulled-off a tatical master-stroke, and I don't see either the Argies or the Dutch being ablw to contain the German's swarming attacks.

Hansen and Lawrenson can kiss my hoop.

SlimChance, March 2018

Banned
    Thanks
    I can hardly believe that one switch of position between midfield and full back explains such a capitulation

They found their way into the game quickly (good to see boateng front up the diver ...sent a message) and sensed blood from a nerve wracked shapeless side. They had done their homework too. They ended up playing a nervous breakdown

Banned
    Thanks
    Grass. A half decent coach would have quickly adapted to it or at least foreseen. Its not exactly an unusual tactic is it.

Big Tosser is clueless and couldnt change his underpants let alone a formation. im no big fan of ramires but clearly at the very least they needed his pest qualities as well as his endless drive and energy

Stevie wonder could have seen what was wrong

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's not just one switch of position, Hamm - it's an entirely different approach to the game tactically.

Lahm was playing so deep in midfield in the first two games, the Jerries were playing an effective 5-3-2.....they're now playing a 4-5-1, allowing them to dominate possession, and break forward much more quickly, due to Labm marshalling the line so high.

In terms of their set-up, there's night-and-day between their first two games and their last two.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Did you mean Clivex?

Banned
    Thanks
    Brazil underperformed though Grass..even from what we have seen previously..there is no way they could have been as bad as last night..and got to the semis in the other games

its made Gemany look better than they are..yes they are probably pretty good...but its over egged them a bit

Banned
    Thanks
    bit too "playstation" Grass. State of mind was the key. Nerve went after first goal. Managers and players

its not hard to counter a 4-5-1 with top experienced players with discipline.

Banned
    Thanks
    Agree Ec. There was no tactical genius at play (and i respect and like the coach a lot)

And its not difficult to score if the tackles are being made by Larry Grayson

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    bit too "playstation" Grass. State of mind was the key. Nerve went after first goal. Managers and players

its not hard to counter a 4-5-1 with top experienced players with discipline.
    It is if you go three at the back, and your midfielders can't hang onto the ball.

Clearly, Brazil were worse than useless - I'm not dispuing that. The question was asked about whether the Lahm position-change was significant. I think it was, for the reasons previously articulated.

As for 'Playstation', I haven't played FIFA in as long as ai haven't been to a football match - about 15 years. I don't even watch football outside the World Cup or the Euros. I just happen to be a tactical genius, when it comes to the Peasant's Game.

SlimChance, March 2018