Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi finals

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Semi finals

Surprised at the markets. Germany should be favs with Neymar and Silva playing - without their 2 key players, I'm staggered the market can't split these 2.

Argentina should tear this Dutch defence apart. 1.77 to qualify more than fair. Really. Hope the Oranje get a battering too..

Thanks
    I think tonights game will be really close. Neymars injury is a loss but don't think he actually did much in the qtr final or really in the last 16 game. Dante at the back is a perfectly acceptable replacement for Silva. Low scoring draw and Brazil to nick in ET or on penalties

Agreed on Argentina. The Dutch are horrible and will get a kicking

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    I think tonights game will be really close. Neymars injury is a loss but don't think he actually did much in the qtr final or really in the last 16 game. Dante at the back is a perfectly acceptable replacement for Silva. Low scoring draw and Brazil to nick in ET or on penalties

Agreed on Argentina. The Dutch are horrible and will get a kicking
    Dante is nowhere near as good as Silva - he is a liability.

Hulk has actually been quite good the last few games - I think he should play through the middle, drop Fred and play Willian on the left.
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks
    Any chance of the ref coming to the party with regard to bookings tonight? A lot of talk about the lack of action in the last couple of games and both camps talking about clamping down on bad tackles - the ref did miss the Suarez bite but still managed to rack up 4 yellows and a red in his last match, has plenty of form for cards in his native league, over 45 points at 8/5 with Hills, over 40 points 7/5 with PP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagship uberalles View Post
    Dante is nowhere near as good as Silva - he is a liability.

Hulk has actually been quite good the last few games - I think he should play through the middle, drop Fred and play Willian on the left.
    As a German backer, please dont even suggest they drop Fred, its just not funny

Thanks
    I have no idea how Fred is still in the team

Thanks
    As a Brazil backer, I'm happy to retain Fred. Dante may not be Silva but he holds down a place at Bayern so he should know how to handle the German forwards. I'm hoping that the only other change in personnel from the Colombia match will be the return of Gustavo in place of Neymar, allowing Oscar to stay up field and giving more cover when the fullbacks bomb on. Willian can come on after an hour or so, either for Oscar or Paulinho depending on the match situation. Germany have had an easy run through and, while I was confident that they would take care of France, I'm not convinced that they're up to beating the hosts.

If they had a fully fit Aguero and Di Maria, Argentina would be a confident selection. As it is, Di Maria is out and it looks like they may be tempted to play a half fit Aguero in his place. I've said all along that Higuain and Aguero like to occupy the same space and I much prefer Aguero but after his goal against Belgium, Higuain's confidence will be high and I'd be inclined to start with Aguero on the bench to come on later if necessary. Argentina's defence has improved as the competition has gone on, protecting what looks to be a slightly dodgy goalie, and that has been mainly due to my player of the tournament so far, Mascherano, who has been superb sweeping up across the front of the back four. The Netherlands are dangerous on the break but it seems unlikely that Argentina will over-commit and a low scoring match looks inevitable unless there's an early goal. Argentina to shade it for me.
    Last edited by archie; 8th July 2014 at 11:05 AM.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm happy Fred is retained too

Thanks
    Agree about Fred but so does everyone bar Scolari, it would be good to see Hulk play centrally, Willian probably will get the nod though at Chelsea he usually plays down the right, would be nice to see both Bernard and Willian start but that probably wont happen.

The game will be tight and the central match up between Kedira/Schweinsteiger v Gustavo/Fernandinho will be where it is won. All eyes on the referee tonight, the only interest bet I have had so far is an optimistic over 0.5 yellows in the first 10 minutes @ 7/1, banking on the ref to show his teeth early after the criticism of the last refeering performance in a Brazil game.

Thanks
    Stating the obvious but think both semis will be very tight
    Last edited by tiggers1972; 8th July 2014 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Your second point is valid Jakers but I think you've missed the key player out - Kroos. I see him as the pivot now more than Schweini.

Thanks
    Fair point Hamm, he will be helping out for sure but also supporting when they go forward, has made me think that actually Kroos has a hammer of a right foot and so far he has disappointed with his shooting & free kicks, I have just taken 15/2 anytime goalscorer, he is overdue to nail one serious effort at least on target.

I want the Germans to win so going to add Kroos in a score cast, 1-0, 1-1 and 2-1.

Banned
    Thanks
    duplicate
    Last edited by EC1; 8th July 2014 at 6:00 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    totally against what i want to happen..Brazil will win ..having 14 on the pitch is a big help

SlimChance
    Germany are out to a very backable price.

Thanks
    The Brazilian style was more skinhead moon stomp than samba last match. An awful example of football for a worldwide audience. I hope they get hammered.

Banned
    Thanks
    If there is a country that I would want to win rather than a team, then it's undoubtably holland. Only because they are the best footballing nation never to have won the wc.

Probably the four most dismally average semi finalists ever seen. Great wc my arse

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    The Brazilian style was more skinhead moon stomp than samba last match. An awful example of football for a worldwide audience. I hope they get hammered.
    its a very strange thing..the words sublime & majestic come to mind when you think about Brazil..this is more like 70's Leeds

i would never have thought a Brazillian side would meed so much assistance from officials to win a World Cup either..i hope they can win without that..but on paper the Germans ought to win..but i just can't see them being let win..we will see.
    Last edited by EC1; 8th July 2014 at 8:20 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Not really ec

This isn't the first dour brazil side by a long way

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    Not really ec

This isn't the first dour brazil side by a long way
    wel you know what i mean Clive..i go back to Mexico 70 when i was mesmerised by what i watched..and i always think about them in that way..there were other sides later that had similar qualities..i don't feel like its anything like that with these