Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 151

Thread: Quarter finals

  1. #1
    Senior Member Hamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,548
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Quarter finals

    As per elsewhere, I am very strong on Colombia, and will back them in 90 mins, to qualify and +1 in Asian handicap. Colombia to win by 2 and 3 at 10s and 28s also of interest. If I could have chosen to have 1 Brazilian player suspended, it would probably have been Luis Gustavo, who has done well, and really protects the back 4, but more so as he would have been very close to Rodriguez. Paulinho nowhere near the same level and low on confidence.

    Not quite as strong, but Costa Rica should run the Dutch very close. RVP doesn't look fit/sharp, and aside from Robben, I see no difference between the 2 teams. I think Joel Campbell will give the Dutch defence a lot to think about.

    Not quite sure yet what is the best angle, maybe a straight lay of Holland + Costa Rica to qualify at 16/5.
    Last edited by Hamm; 30th June 2014 at 11:29 AM.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

    To remove these adverts please either login or join if you are not a member.


     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    late 1960's early 70's
    Posts
    17,679
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 610 Times in 393 Posts
    does anyone remember Robbie Box?

  4. #3
    Senior Member Grasshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    13,208
    Thanks
    832
    Thanked 626 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Kept pawning his missus necklace to fund his gambling/stroke-pulling habit. Played by the legend who voiced Mr Benn - one Ray Brooks.

    Do I win a coconut?

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,720
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 68 Times in 65 Posts
    Ray brooks drinks in a pub near me and once sat next to me on the tube.

    So there

    That was a good series though. Why never repeated?

  6. #5
    Senior Member Dave G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,577
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
    Arjen Robben admits to diving against Mexico. Does that open him up for a ban in the quarter final?
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Hamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,548
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    does anyone remember Robbie Box?
    Typically insightful comment....

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Drogheda
    Posts
    1,687
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
    Not quite as strong, but Costa Rica should run the Dutch very close. RVP doesn't look fit/sharp, and aside from Robben, I see no difference between the 2 teams. I think Joel Campbell will give the Dutch defence a lot to think about.
    I have to admit to only seeing the highlights but I though RVP looked fine. Possibly the heat a reason for him not being as sharp as you'd have thought Hamm?

    Costa Rica had a very tough match. I wouldn't be rushing to take the dutch on here. Not having to go through ET in that heat was a huge slice of fortune for the dutch.

    I'm keen on RVP 1st gs. Only bet of the match for me.....at the moment!
    Last edited by hezz; 2nd July 2014 at 1:49 AM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,922
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 170 Times in 139 Posts
    I think the Dutch should win fairly comfortably. CR have overachieved massively but can't see them as WC semi finalists. Having backed the Argies pre-tournament I'm hoping a few more of them actually turn up and play in the next game and any further games they play but not too optimistic. I reckon Colombia have a good chance v Brazil especially with Luis Gustavo out and it seems Neymar is likely to be less than fully fit even if he plays. However I can't get too carried away with Colombia as Uruguay were pish poor as they were against CR without Suarez. Reckon the winner of France-Germany will contest the final against the Dutch or the Argies


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Senior Member Tanlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    6,929
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 210 Times in 192 Posts
    You and I are at opposite ends of the road here Viking......Can't see Holland reaching the final but they should scrape through against Costa Rica.......I think everyone got a bit carried away after the had that landslide win against Spain but the have looked decidedly ordinary in their last 2 games.

    Then again so have the rest of the teams but that could change

    You just have to fear Brazil. I think from here on in and the winning post in sight we'll see a different Brazil.

    I reckon Columbia won't know what's hit them and 5/6 Brazil looks the bet of the tournament to me.

    The Germans are boringly well organised but they were my choice from the start but I secretly hate the b******.......,,.....I think they'll bore the Dutch into submission and win by 1 goal...

    Poor Argentina or should I say poor Messi? Messi is a one man team and will have to do a Maradon to reach the final......even he won't be able to lift the cup without teammates.
    I wouldn't bet on it but over 1.5 million has been traded on dark horses Belgium between 20 and 30 and it would appear more than a few are happy to let their cash ride on in the hope they get through.

    Comes as no surprise the Argies are odds against......Belgium are a decidedly better side than Switzerland and unless Messie's team mates pull the finger out they could easily be going home.

    Brazil V Belgium final???
    Formely Fist of Fury

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts
    everyone aside from colombia has looked ordinary. but would i back them to topple brazil? no

    i've got a feeling for a brazil/holland final. im quite convinced the hosts win it. without ever looking great.

  12. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,720
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 68 Times in 65 Posts
    Germany were anything but well organised against Algeria. A shambles

    It's been overrated as a "great World Cup" but it's without anything like a great team or even a truly decent one. To make a really fine wc I think you need 3/4 real heavyweight contenders. Teams that you can remember
    Last edited by clivex; 2nd July 2014 at 9:02 PM.

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 42 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    Germany were anything but well organised against Algeria. A shambles

    It's been overrated as a "great World Cup" but it's without anything like a great team or even a truly decent one. To make a really fine wc I think you need 3/4 real heavyweight contenders. Teams that you can remember
    I've enjoyed this one because all the smaller nations have stood up against the big boys. I can see goals becoming even more scarce now there is so much to lose. Teams are much more comfortable playing for extra time from the first minute eh Clive

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
    Not quite as strong, but Costa Rica should run the Dutch very close. RVP doesn't look fit/sharp, and aside from Robben, I see no difference between the 2 teams. I think Joel Campbell will give the Dutch defence a lot to think about.

    Not quite sure yet what is the best angle, maybe a straight lay of Holland + Costa Rica to qualify at 16/5.
    Interesting to see those thoughts. My mate has done well this World Cup and suggested Holland on the -1 handicap was the bet of the tournament, think it was about 6-4 when odds came out initially. He said Costa Rica have looked good against average teams and fully expects Holland to beat them convincingly.

    I've been impressed with France and I can see them beating Germany on Friday. Surely Germany won't play their defensive line so high up the pitch again. Algeria exploited it but couldn't make it pay. I'd expect them to defend deeper on Friday because if they play that way again they'll get turned over. France have quality all over the pitch from Lloris, Varane to Matuidi, Valbuena, Pogba and Benzema/Giroud. If this goes to extra time someone like Remy with plenty of pace could run the Germans ragged from the bench.

    Brazil and Argentina have looked average but have still got the job done when looking ordinary. Any improvement from either side could see them through but I'd like to see both knocked out. I want to see France v Holland and think that could be a great game. I've backed France pre tournament but only to small stakes and have Germany in the sweepstake at work. Not sure if to go in again on France or just let the one run I've got already.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,922
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 170 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    You and I are at opposite ends of the road here Viking......Can't see Holland reaching the final but they should scrape through against Costa Rica.......I think everyone got a bit carried away after the had that landslide win against Spain but the have looked decidedly ordinary in their last 2 games.

    Then again so have the rest of the teams but that could change

    You just have to fear Brazil. I think from here on in and the winning post in sight we'll see a different Brazil.

    I reckon Columbia won't know what's hit them and 5/6 Brazil looks the bet of the tournament to me.

    The Germans are boringly well organised but they were my choice from the start but I secretly hate the b******.......,,.....I think they'll bore the Dutch into submission and win by 1 goal...

    Poor Argentina or should I say poor Messi? Messi is a one man team and will have to do a Maradon to reach the final......even he won't be able to lift the cup without teammates.
    I wouldn't bet on it but over 1.5 million has been traded on dark horses Belgium between 20 and 30 and it would appear more than a few are happy to let their cash ride on in the hope they get through.

    Comes as no surprise the Argies are odds against......Belgium are a decidedly better side than Switzerland and unless Messie's team mates pull the finger out they could easily be going home.

    Brazil V Belgium final???

    Opposite ends of the spectrum alright but differing opinions makes for a good debate. Certainly I agree we might see a different Brazil now the winning post is in sight but I think the same applies to other teams notably Argentina. Holland have been distinctly average after the Spain game but have scraped through and I suspect they too are capable of raising their game.

    You say Belgium are a better team than Switzerland. I'd also agree with that but official FIFA rankings say otherwise. Still they've got Portugal 4th and Uruguay 7th so obviously c**p. Anyway Argentina are also a very different proposition to the USA


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    4,170
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Switzerland are one of the worst teams I've seen, Belgium not far behind. Rankings don't mean ****, Switzerland are outside the top 20 in the world.

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,740
    Thanks
    386
    Thanked 456 Times in 317 Posts
    In 14 meetings, Brazil have won 7 and Colombia 1 (in 1991). The last 4 have all been draws, three of them 0-0. This looks bound to be another tight game but I'd expect Brazil to come through.

    I still can't see in France what others do. So vulnerable in defence out wide. If the German team was selected on here I'd be very confident in them progressing but it's a wait and see until the team is announced.

    Robben could beat Costa Rica on his own but he might have to and he'll be under very close scrutiny. Both teams were lucky to go through and this will again be tight. Netherlands 1-0?

    Argentina badly missing Aguero as Higuain and Lavezzi haven't even been at yesterday's races. Seems likely that they will continue to rely on Messi and Di Maria. Belgium will have to improve on the ratio of chances taken to win this and the game might turn on whether Hazard finally comes to the party.
    The older I get the better I was.

  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    I've enjoyed this one because all the smaller nations have stood up against the big boys.
    Apart from England, they never really showed up against Costa Rica.
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

  19. #18
    Senior Member tiggers1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    2,542
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 121 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AliGupter View Post
    Switzerland are one of the worst teams I've seen, Belgium not far behind. Rankings don't mean ****, Switzerland are outside the top 20 in the world.
    That is so true. 6 in the world??? Not even top 6 in Europe, also shocking to watch.

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    4,170
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    That is so true. 6 in the world??? Not even top 6 in Europe, also shocking to watch.
    Yup, we've got them in the qualifiers and I'm near certain we'll beat them both home and away again. We're not too good ourselves.

  21. #20
    Senior Member Hamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,548
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Germany have drifted nearly half a point on BF overnight in the outright market.

Similar Threads

  1. Semi finals
    By Hamm in forum World Cup 2018
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 17th July 2014, 8:59 AM
  2. Euro 2012 Finals
    By Grey in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 9th December 2011, 5:40 PM
  3. Arse Professions Cup - 2nd Quarter Final
    By terry in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11th December 2004, 9:22 PM
  4. Arse Professions Cup - 3rd Quarter Final
    By terry in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th December 2004, 1:22 PM
  5. Arse Professions Cup - 1st Quarter Final
    By terry in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10th December 2004, 1:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •