Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Round of 16

Thanks
    They are so vulnerable to balls played in behind. France should absolutely muller them.
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks
    A cracking game, that was.
    Bitcoin: 1GyyygZmobehztUmHLdLWVKLqnfyJC5wzi

Litecoin: LL12qc8Fid3kt4QzkvFQ6SadSuxxZEi5Nh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagship uberalles View Post
    They are so vulnerable to balls played in behind. France should absolutely muller them.
    France won't muller anyone.

They have to rely on midfield goals because their strikers are donkeys. Benzema is regressing to the mean and Giroud.....nothing really needs to be said

I hope the South Americans destroy Germany or France

Thanks
    Algeria got what they deserved, their final ball was a disgrace.

Thanks
    If Algeria had a bit more composure they would have knocked Germany out inside 90 minutes, Khedira alongside Schweinsteiger made a big difference and Germany finally got control of the center of the pitch.

I wouldn't be surprised (if Schweinsteiger has recovered in time) if both started against France with Lahm reverting to full back, but the man of the match by a mile was Muller, the only player that seemed to get stronger the longer the game went on.

Gone for a speculative double today Belgium (-1) & the overs in the Argentina/Swiss game it pays just under 6/1, also backed Hazard to score anytime at 12/5 B365....

France reaching the quarters was a big result for me, could now do with Messi getting another brace tonight for my Messi top scorer & Argentina WC winners bet.
    Last edited by Jakers; 1st July 2014 at 7:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Do you think that's a general weakness or just one that was evident on the night, Flagship?

I thought it was overall a disappointing performance from Germany. Never really had their normal fluency. I suspect they had half an eye on the next round. I think, though, that even last night's performance would be good enough to beat France, who look very ordinary to me.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Do you think that's a general weakness or just one that was evident on the night, Flagship?

I thought it was overall a disappointing performance from Germany. Never really had their normal fluency. I suspect they had half an eye on the next round. I think, though, that even last night's performance would be good enough to beat France, who look very ordinary to me.
    In general. Their defenders are very slow. Lahm isn't exactly blessed with pace either as a holding midfielder. You could see this during the group match vs Ghana there were problems.

It just amazes me that he won't play Lahm where he should be playing (either full back position) - there are enough midfielders already. If Algeria had a bit more composure and a better final ball, they would be out.
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Fair enough.

I'm just not sure they are normally as vulnerable. They certainly gave away possession much more readily than normal and gave Algeria every opportunity to capitalise upon it but the bottom line is that Algeria weren't good/composed/confident/whatever enough to do so.

It's a phenomenon we we see often enough in the league or cup. On paper an easy game. A top six team taking on a lesser side. The big team isn't as focused as they would be against a top six side, the diddy team is right up for it and take the big team to the wire. Sometimes they get the win, sometimes they giant-kill but in the big scheme of things the big team will take more from the game going forward.

I think Germany will analyse last night to death and come out all guns blazing against France, who might see things differently.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 1st July 2014 at 8:25 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Germany missed Hummels quite badly. I'd go with Lahm at left back, Boateng on the right and Khedira midfield. I also think that, to get the best out of Muller, Schurrle works better than Gotze.
    Last edited by archie; 1st July 2014 at 11:25 AM.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Spot on Archie with all those (though Schurrle needs someone to explain when to shoot and when not to). Low needs to grow a pair...

Banned
    Thanks
    France will take the Germans no problem..then win it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    France won't muller anyone.

They have to rely on midfield goals because their strikers are donkeys. Benzema is regressing to the mean and Giroud.....nothing really needs to be said

I hope the South Americans destroy Germany or France
    If Germany line up with the same team and formation as last night, they should be beaten by half time against France. Only possible question is if France have enough confidence to go for it full throttle.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Any thoughts on this evening's first game? I could see Argentina running away with it IF they scored early, but their defence will offer the swiss a chance should they swiss keep it tight. I am thinking Argentina minus 1 on the Asian at 2.1 the best bet.

I think Aguero missing out will help the balance of the team and Higuain should be sharper with 3 games under his belt.
    Last edited by Hamm; 1st July 2014 at 3:39 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If Germany line up with the same team and formation as last night, they should be beaten by half time against France. Only possible question is if France have enough confidence to go for it full throttle.
    IF they change their team as we all hope, do you think playing a better team who won't be as defensive will help Germany?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
    Any thoughts on this evening's first game? I could see Argentina running away with it IF they scored early, but their defence will offer the swiss a chance should they swiss keep it tight. I am thinking Argentina minus 1 on the Asian at 2.1 the best bet.

I think Aguero missing out will help the balance of the team and Higuain should be sharper with 3 games under his belt.
    I believe it could be a cagey affair, and hence have bet accordingly ,

correct score 0-0
    draw h/t
    Argentina to win in extra time
    Argentina to win in penalties

Banned
    Thanks
    Argentina to cruise it imo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Argies are over 3/1 to win both halves tonight, which is good enough for me. Switzerland are journeymen, and I can see them getting toasted this evening.

Thanks
    I think the Argies will win well too, I have just added Messi to score 2 or more @ 3/1 plus my bets from earlier:

Double today Belgium (-1) & the overs in the Argentina/Swiss game it pays just under 6/1, also backed Hazard to score anytime at 12/5

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Explain your enthusiasm for Belgium please! I can't see it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
    I hope the bookies think along the same lines regarding the USA and lengthen Belgium, I would like like the US to win but I think their style will suit Belgium, bit of a grinder of a game but Belgium with to much savvy and Hazard the danger man 1-0 or 2-0, probably back Hazard to score anytime.

I fancy France strongly and the Dutch superior fire power to see them through also think Algeria will cause Germany problems they have plenty of runners in their team and dangerous at set pieces, it will be close but I expect the Germans will prevail in the end.
    This is my post from page one Hamm, saves writing it again.