Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
    Just added this forum for specific discussions relating to the World Cup 2014 rather than have them hidden all over the forum in other sections
    This has turned into one of your better ideas. Not since you banned 32 of 79 accounts in 2011 have you had your finger on the pulse.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have been playing around with a predictor this morning and see the following quarter finals:

Spain v England (Spain coming 2nd in their group and knocking Brazil out)
    France v Germany
    Netherlands v Italy
    Argentina v Belgium

Those in bold are the ones I see (hope) progressing.

Germany to play Spain in the semis, Italy v Argies.

With Belgium looking dreadful yesterday, you have to think the draw has really opened up for Argentina to get to the final. They will most likely have to beat:
    Switzerland
    Belgium/Portugal
    Italy/Netherlands
    to get to the final. That's not too bad, for all I would hope (financially) Italy can beat them.

Anyway, their path is easier than others, and 5.2 may represent a little value, which can always be laid off down the line.

I like the Germany-Argentina final at nearly 8/1.
    Last edited by Hamm; 18th June 2014 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Redknapp:

"“I can tell you when I was at Tottenham, when full internationals came around, there were two or three players who did not want to play for England,” he told BBC 5 Live. “They would come to me 10 days before the game and say: ‘Gaffer, get me out of that game, I don’t want to play in that game.’"

"There were 12 England players who worked under Redknapp at Spurs – Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Aaron Lennon, Darren Bent, Scott Parker, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King and Kyle Walker – though the QPR manager’s apparent reluctance to identify those to whom he was referring riled Gerrard."

Harry just exaggerating to sell his book or is there some truth in it. If the latter who would you put in the frame?

I find it difficult to think 'Arry is being totally honest 'ere.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Croatia are 110 on the machine. IF you think they will beat Mexico, they will play Netherlands or Chile in the second round, followed by Costa Rica/Ivory Coast (maybe) in the quarters. Not a bad route to the semi final.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Redknapp:

"“I can tell you when I was at Tottenham, when full internationals came around, there were two or three players who did not want to play for England,” he told BBC 5 Live. “They would come to me 10 days before the game and say: ‘Gaffer, get me out of that game, I don’t want to play in that game.’"

"There were 12 England players who worked under Redknapp at Spurs – Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Aaron Lennon, Darren Bent, Scott Parker, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King and Kyle Walker – though the QPR manager’s apparent reluctance to identify those to whom he was referring riled Gerrard."

Harry just exaggerating to sell his book or is there some truth in it. If the latter who would you put in the frame?

I find it difficult to think 'Arry is being totally honest 'ere.
    Bentley would be the prime suspect there. I doubt Woodgate and King are likely, as they both suffered so much with injuries they'd probably be happy to play no matter what.
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks
    Is he not talking about friendly games? I assumed he was rather than a qualifier or tournament game, if he means friendlies then that is common practice by every single manager, to play in a world cup more often than not helps a players career.
    Last edited by Jakers; 23rd June 2014 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
    Croatia are 110 on the machine. IF you think they will beat Mexico, they will play Netherlands or Chile in the second round, followed by Costa Rica/Ivory Coast (maybe) in the quarters. Not a bad route to the semi final.
    I seem to remember you using similar words about first Spain and then England.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He does mention "full internationals", Jakers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    He does mention "full internationals", Jakers.
    Isn't a match against another international team deemed a full international? Basically any game you get capped?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I suppose so.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Some memories here, love Coleman's outrage at "The Battle of Santiago".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28019803
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 26th June 2014 at 9:32 AM.

Thanks
    So the group stages are almost complete and I'm still completely none the wiser as to who will win.
    I've backed Argentina and feel that, like Brazil they are too weak at the back, however both of their star men seem to be on fire and if they continue to do so will always have channces in games.
    Of the other European sides France and Holland look good, but as we all know too well, their hands are always millimetres away from the self destruct button.
    Germany are well......just Germany as always. However, their full backs are basically centre halves and look very susceptible to pace. (That 3 on 2 Ghana had late on against them was painful to watch!).
    Belgium have not impressed in a weak group.
    Of the South Americans I think Colmbia look the best equipped to serve it up to the big boys, but I'm not sure they have the experience.
    I love Chile's atttitude and work rate but Im pretty sure they will fall short.
    Mexico's coach is brilliant to watch and they are dangerous too.
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

-

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I cashed out my Betfair win market yesterday at a profit (I had backed several teams, all were shorter) as the cash out offer was better than the average return I thought possible (in other words, I had no clue for a big exposure). I still have Germany at 7s and am happy with that though share your concerns - if Lahm was moved to left back, and Schweini came in, I feel they would be so much better. Furthermore, their wide-ish forwards (Ozil and Gotze) are better with full backs offering width.

I will also back Columbia at 22s, as they have impressed me the most.

On Argentina, I had them backed due to their route to the semis but watching the game yesterday (and their other ones) forced me to cash out - they have no cohesion, and their defence and midfield will probably be the worst of any of the teams in the last 16 - I don't believe it's possible to win like this, even with Messi. Brazil's is bad, but nowhere near as bad as the Argies.

I think Chile will give Brazil at least a scare, but if Columbia get through they will knock them out.

Thanks
    Would love to see Columbia do well

Thanks
    I've not seen a remotely good defence yet by the way.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Aguero supposedly out of the world cup.

Thanks
    Now we are into quarter finals, and I'm still none the wiser, I backed Argentina before the start and haven't played in the outright winner market since.
    I'm losing confidence on my bet each day as Messi aside they have been awful and they have a lot of big name players who just haven't turned up.
    Brazil, I haven't fancied them since the opening game and nothing has changed my mind.
    Germany, exposed badly against Algeria, a more clinical side would have beaten them comfortably.
    France, to me look the best side in the comp.
    A lot of people on here are sweet on Colombia, they do look value, but Uruguay are no great shakes and I remember them clinging on for the win aginst the Ivory Coast.
    The Dutch, keep grinding out wins, they have become almost German like and on paper have the easiest quarter final, however they have that searing heat against Mexico to recover from.
    Belgium, did not impress me in the group stages but were far better against the USA, just don't see their centre midfiled being strong enough.
    If I do play again it will be France @ 8-1.
    Last edited by tiggers1972; 2nd July 2014 at 11:39 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    i like France a lot..Argies ..that must be one of the worst WC cup games i ever watched..awful apart from Messi...can a one man team win it?..would doubt it.

looking forward to the France Germany clash...first proper clash of the big boys

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Agree - thing is, Messi hasn't even been that good (some brilliant goals aside).

I would have clipped di Maria round the head for that attempted cross yesterday..

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
    Agree - thing is, Messi hasn't even been that good (some brilliant goals aside).

I would have clipped di Maria round the head for that attempted cross yesterday..
    yes he can be even better as we know..yes good job i wasn't manager as they wouldn't have scored ..because when he did that cross he would have been straight off the field...it was one of the most stupid things i have ever seen at any level of football..couldn't believe what i was seeing...if you had been a team mate i think it would have been very easy to just to walk off the field than play with a fool like that. Because he scored he will get away with it.
    Last edited by EC1; 2nd July 2014 at 11:50 AM.