Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Cup 2014

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I'm not sure how much can be read into the performances of the 'big names' in that last round. I suspect finding a way of getting through rather than blasting their way through was the order of the day.

These teams would know that, like all the bigger tournaments in sport, the longer it goes on the more likely it is that the bigger teams will go through so extra time is, if anything, to their advantage. Not many of them were busting a gut in the last 10 minutes of regulation time. They were relying on counter attacks while staying defending from the midfield back.

Now that the eight group winners will contest the quarters (what was that accy worth before the last round started?) it will be interesting to see if they open up a bit. Neither side will be particularly advantaged by extra time unless they are pretty sure about the content of their cojones in a [penalty] shootout.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    No problem with that Di Maria did, he can't cross with his right foot, he can cross doing the rabona because he's a fantastic player and I've seen him do it before, it just didn't work out on that occasion, little too much pace on the ball probably.

He crossed in with his right foot soon after and it was terrible, as the other one would have been. The shame is that if he had just ran it out of play or even hit the first man he'd get nowhere near the criticism, he tried to put in the best ball that he could rather than settle for crap.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AliGupter View Post
    No problem with that Di Maria did, he can't cross with his right foot, he can cross doing the rabona because he's a fantastic player and I've seen him do it before, it just didn't work out on that occasion, little too much pace on the ball probably.
    In a friendly game here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    yes he can be even better as we know..yes good job i wasn't manager as they wouldn't have scored ..because when he did that cross he would have been straight off the field...it was one of the most stupid things i have ever seen at any level of football..couldn't believe what i was seeing...if you had been a team mate i think it would have been very easy to just to walk off the field than play with a fool like that. Because he scored he will get away with it.
    I text my mate that yesterday when i saw it, albeit with far more colourful language!