Thread: Top Irish trainer facing drugs charges

Thanks
    Saw that too DG, very good

Thanks
    Devastating news for the stable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 736 Posts
    Very sad if true
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the list of antibiotics I very much doubt he was administering long acting antibiotics to horses.
    Is he a farmer as well ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Looking at the list of antibiotics I very much doubt he was administering long acting antibiotics to horses.
    Is he a farmer as well ?
    Nope. Amateur jock when straight into training.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Bloke I follow on Twitter reckons they should call Chris Cook "The Milkman" as he delivers before the Post.
    Everyone delivers before the Racing Post. Pointless paper.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I spent a morning in the yard the week before Dunquib won the bumper. It is fairly extensive and there were other animals there for sure. It is David Wachman's old place before he married up.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    I have no reason to particularly suspect Fenton* over any other trainer. But the more I learn about it, the more I suspect that drugs controls are so weak in horse racing that it would be unusual for somebody not to attempt to capitalise.

* That said, Dunguib and Last Instalment are examples of what is seen as a warning flag in other sports. An athlete coming back from a seemingly career-threatening injury to perform at the top level, in spite of advancing years. This, along with his previous for "minor" doping offences, and we have a couple of warning signs already.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    This hasn't been reported in today's Irish Times or Irish Independent.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    It will be interesting to see what action the Turf Club takes if the Courts find him guilty (innocent until proven guilty). Potential for a €5k fine at the Courts or imprisonment. If the former, then does the Turf Club step in and put a training ban on him and for how long?

Thanks
    Justice must be done, and also must be seen to be done.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Front page in Irish Examiner.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar the Bull View Post
    This hasn't been reported in today's Irish Times or Irish Independent.
    I've seen it in both

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar the Bull View Post
    Justice must be done, and also must be seen to be done.
    Are there Turf Club sanctions for possession though? With these "milkshakes" being undetectable after a few days surely possession has to be a banable offence if not already so. Otherwise every horse whether in or out of training would need to be tested on a weekly basis which is off course impractical. This casts a serious palour over the whole industry and needs to be dealt with comprehensively.

The anti-biotics would not cause any huge concern.

The fact that this stable houses horses owned by the most prominent people in Irish NH racing does not lend itself to a nice tidy ending.
    We could be at a cross roads here with serious far reaching implications for the future integrity of out sport.
    Do not mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance nor my kindness for weakness.

Thanks
    If a trainer is convicted of a criminal offence regarding illegal possession of these drugs and the Turf Club still can't sanction him, the question follows: what is the point of the Turf Club?

Also, how did Al Zarooni and Butler get away without any criminal proceedings in the UK? Not even animal welfare charges?

Finally: this Fenton case has apparently been ongoing for 2 years yet is only being reported now. Was there some sort of gagging order in place (surely not?) or are the Irish racing press incapable of committing journalism?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I've seen it in both
    I must be blind. What pages?
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    From ATR

Leading Irish jumps owners Gigginstown House Stud have offered their unyielding support to trainer Philip Fenton, who has been charged with possession of anabolic steroids and other unlicensed substances.

Fenton is scheduled to appear at a County Tipperary court on Thursday to answer charges brought about by the Irish Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine following an inspection of his yard on January 18, 2012.

The Carrick-on-Suir handler is responsible for leading Cheltenham Gold Cup contender Last Instalment, a superb winner of the Irish Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown for the Gigginstown operation.

Gigginstown's racing manager, Eddie O'Leary, said the case against Fenton was "an absolute storm in a teacup".

He told Press Association Sport: "I spoke to Philip on Monday and he's more embarrassed than anything else.

"We should remember that this all happened two and a half years ago.

"We support Philip wholeheartedly. He has never had a positive test for anything. You could not meet a straighter, and more honest, fellow."

Fenton's stock has been especially high of late following the exploits of Last Instalment and the 2009 Cheltenham Champion Bumper winner Dunguib, who was victorious at Navan on Sunday.

The Tullow Tank is another Fenton-trained candidate for the Cheltenham Festival in March after winning three races, two of which were Grade Ones, this term.

O'Leary, brother of Ryanair supremo and fellow Gigginstown boss, Michael, is adamant Fenton will not be found guilty of any wrongdoing when the case is heard on Thursday morning at Carrick-on-Suir District Court.

He said: "I'm sure he'll be fine. All this is bureaucracy gone mad, jobs for the boys. It's the department (of Agriculture, Food and the Marine) trying to make work for themselves by wanting proper labels on every single bottle in every single yard.

"We spend whatever money on educating and qualifying vets, but the vast majority of department vets have no actual interest in being vets. All they want is to join the department and have a nice and easy nine-to-five job.

"Horses cannot be looked after nine to five. If a horse gets colic, you sometimes have to treat it yourself or it could be dead by the time the vet gets there. This is an absolute storm in a teacup and I'm sure most normal people will see this for what it is."

The Irish Courts Service confirmed in a summons notice that Fenton has been served with a series of charges in relation to animal remedies.

Should he be found guilty, punishments range from a maximum fine of 5,000 euro to a six-month term of imprisonment.

The Tullow Tank's owner Barry Connell refused to be drawn on the Fenton case when contacted on Tuesday morning.

He said: "I'm not going to discuss any of that. I have no comment to make."
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 18th February 2014 at 12:55 PM.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Are steroids used to treat colic?
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    I thought Dunguib was disqualified once for having taken another horse's medicine ? So not quite correct to say " he has never had a positive test for anything "

Thanks
    Yes, Punchestown Bumper. He was accidentally given worming medicine meant for another horse, which didn't clear his system.

How that happens to a horse who's just become a huge name by winning at Cheltenham by half the track baffles me, but there you go.