Page 98 of 198 FirstFirst ... 488893949596979899100101102103108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 3950

Thread: Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Thanks
    Bad week for fatalities

Thanks
    Grand Annual certainly not one I'll be watching back. Carnage.

Thanks
    I just caught the Grand Annual on RUK . The track looked appalling - BHA has announced an inquiry into the fatalities at the meeting . That ground looked unsafe and difficult not to attribute North Hill Harvey's fall to it at least - the poor horse jumped the fence well and slipped on landing and tried to recover his footing and suffered a fatal injury in the attempt .

Perhsps with hindsight but it appears that the big field in the Foxhunters had chewed it up horribly .

Let's hope we don't save such awful ground at the Festival again for a long time.

Thanks
    The ground may have been a factor in Sandsend's injury too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chroniclandlord View Post
    The ground may have been a factor in Sandsend's injury too.
    Sorry to hear that .

Thanks
    BBC reporting that Some Plan also a fatality - very serious questions to answer now as to why they did not abandon before the Grand Annual.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRB View Post
    Bad week for fatalities
    There are always fatalities at this meeting but they do not seem to attract the level of attention that those at other meetings do. It can take a few days for injuries sustained to come out which may be career ending for some also. A friend led up two today: one finished his race, one didn't (pulled up not fell) but both have come back with 'multiple cuts and are lame'. Fingers crossed for all that there are no more fatalities.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    BBC reporting that Some Plan also a fatality - very serious questions to answer now as to why they did not abandon before the Grand Annual.
    this is definitely a very valid question. surprised a few more trainers didnt pull horses out too. to be fair to giggi they did the right thing by the gamechanger and would respect trainers that pulled thier horses out.

harrington was interviewed pre grand annual and seemed to think ground was appalling. when you have that language before race and then 3 die in it, you invite this kind of coverage. think one of the late 1990s nationals was like that too, maybe the earth summit one when one of the horses sustained horrible sandsend like injuries.

another concern would be what it takes out of native river and might bite. that gold cup a few years back was brutal, dont think road to riches was ever same after and the toll on coneygree was obvious. djakadam must be tough horse. and the ground in that was nowhere near as demanding as today

id be very wary of following the front two in future as tough as they are.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    There are always fatalities at this meeting but they do not seem to attract the level of attention that those at other meetings do. It can take a few days for injuries sustained to come out which may be career ending for some also. A friend led up two today: one finished his race, one didn't (pulled up not fell) but both have come back with 'multiple cuts and are lame'. Fingers crossed for all that there are no more fatalities.
    Yes; I always keep a list of horses that have placed in previous festivals and was surprised at how many didn't run the following year. What has been interesting has been reading the stewards reports that DG has posted; I do wonder how many of the horses that came back lame will be seen again. I'll never walk away from NH racing, as it has been an important part of my life since I was a child, but at times like this I do struggle with it. Feel very deflated today; rather hope the Skeltons will win the Midlands National to lift the spirits of the Skelton yard.

Thanks
    Can't blame quick ground which is usually the stick they use. Personally think seeing horses run on bad ground looking exhausted looks very bad to anyone waatching in for the first time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    Yes; I always keep a list of horses that have placed in previous festivals and was surprised at how many didn't run the following year. What has been interesting has been reading the stewards reports that DG has posted; I do wonder how many of the horses that came back lame will be seen again. I'll never walk away from NH racing, as it has been an important part of my life since I was a child, but at times like this I do struggle with it. Feel very deflated today; rather hope the Skeltons will win the Midlands National to lift the spirits of the Skelton yard.
    I lose track of years but not that long ago, around 9 horses were killed during the meeting and at least another 4 were put down shortly afterwards, and no idea how many never ran again, and there were no publicity about it, and I mean none, but Cheltenham never seems to create the same sort of 'outrage' or publicity that the Grand National meeting does even when the numbers there at lower.
    Desperate for the Skeltons; fantastic scenes in the paddock/winners enclosure when Bridget won, Harry's reaction was a joy to watch. A friend has a horse with them, he told me this morning they are very deflated but relieved that Harry will be okay also obviously.
    Last edited by G-G; 17th March 2018 at 9:57 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

moehat (18th March 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's a very competitive meeting and unfortunately as we are taught since birth SPEED KILLS and they don't go much faster than they do round Cheltneham
    All factors considered like how competitive each race is, the undulations, fence stiffness etc, it may well be the fastest jump racing in the world dangerwise

Since 1989 when they made most modifications to Aintree fences races have been run that bit faster and the deaths continue.

It's unacceptable but unfortunately has to be acceptable if racing is to go on.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I lose track of years but not that long ago, around 9 horses were killed during the meeting and at least another 4 were put down shortly afterwards, and no idea how many never ran again, and there were no publicity about it, and I mean none, but Cheltenham never seems to create the same sort of 'outrage' or publicity that the Grand National meeting does even when the numbers there at lower.
    Desperate for the Skeltons; fantastic scenes in the paddock/winners enclosure when Bridget won, Harry's reaction was a joy to watch. A friend has a horse with them, he told me this morning they are very deflated but relieved that Harry will be okay also obviously.
    I think that was 1998 and there was a lot of comment about the grass coverage before the meeting. I understood Cheltenham did take some steps after that.

Thanks
    Can’t see why they would have abandoned before the last. The ground was bad but not dangerously so.

I love horses and have been involved with racehorses since I was 14. But they’re working animals, and very well-treated ones at that. It’s a dangerous sport and fatalities happen. Getting sentimental about it just plays into the hands of Animal Aid and all the other nutters who want to see the end of racing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BennyB For This Useful Post:

LUKE (18th March 2018), trudij (18th March 2018)

Thanks
    Difficult to get the balance right, though. It also plays into the hands of Animal Aid etc if we're not seen to care about the horses. Trouble is, I go from being upset about the fatalities one minute to feeling annoyed when non racing facebook friends post things about horses just being commodities and being put down with the slightest injuries for economic reason. I've learned to keep quiet when that happens.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

trudij (18th March 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyB View Post
    Can’t see why they would have abandoned before the last. The ground was bad but not dangerously so.

I love horses and have been involved with racehorses since I was 14. But they’re working animals, and very well-treated ones at that. It’s a dangerous sport and fatalities happen. Getting sentimental about it just plays into the hands of Animal Aid and all the other nutters who want to see the end of racing.
    I am afraid that I disagree - the fall of North Hall Harvey appeared to be entirely due to the slippery nature of the churned up landing after the two earlier chases.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    I think that was 1998 and there was a lot of comment about the grass coverage before the meeting. I understood Cheltenham did take some steps after that.
    More recent than that as I wasn't really into jump racing then and wouldn't have noticed to be honest.

Thanks
    More recent than that as I wasn't really into jump racing then and wouldn't have noticed to be honest.
    It was around the time that I was with Mike, so would have been 2011/12ish? I remember that one - didn’t we lose 4 or 5 on the first day? Horrible horrible time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Pretty sure Cheltenham did take action after we lost so many at one festival. I think they have always had a policy of watering since that fatal year, just to ensure safe jumping and landing ground.
    Last edited by Len Madeiros; 18th March 2018 at 7:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    The BHA supposedly do look at every fall to determine cause and take any necessary action. As with any speed orientated sport there are going to be accidents (compare it to Formula 1) - unfortunately horses are relatively fragile and as yet we don't have the veterinary expertise available to mend every single one without it suffering further complications and distress.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito