Page 68 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1858636465666768697071727378 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1708

Thread: Jockey News

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Spare me the sanctimony. Dunne lost his temper in a workplace is all,and it happens in many - every day - all over the world, and is dealt without hue and cry, and it's been overblown by such attitudes as yours.
    The ship has now been righted - end of.
    It is not sanctimony - it is fact.

If Dunne had lost his temper once, it would perhaps be forgivable, but it has been proven that there has been a campaign of bullying and intimidation over many months. As I said, in any other industry, this would result in the perpetrator losing his job.

The situation has not been overblown by me or anyone else. It is a straightforward comparison with what happens in the real world and what happens in racing; where - sadly - archaic attitudes such as yours a seem to prevail more often than not. So do me a favour - don't attempt to 'normalise' this, because it betrays a complete ignorance of what happens outside of little racing's bubble.

Finally, it's also worth pointing out that Dunne is still suspended for 10 months........which doesn't really fit with your idiotic "nothing to see here" argument.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 1st April 2022 at 8:57 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

G-G (1st April 2022), Len Madeiros (1st April 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Well sometimes. STD wouldn't have a job if he wasn't STD and would never have got the Ditcheat job if his surname had been Smith. DS would never have a job if his brother didn't train, and would have nowhere near as many winners as he does if his brother didn't have so many horses.
    Hughes is very good post race- from personal experience and friends who have used him.
    Russell ditto and he is very tactically aware.
    Sheehan went greatly down in my estimation over the case and having met him had liked him a lot, but using a race to make a point is not on, and he was out of order in his comments.
    I think Bryony is a fabulous horseperson, I wouldn't worry if she was a on horse of mine/one I fancied. Francome was majestic as a horseman and a great jockey. McCoy was a great jockey, not so much a horseman.
    Johnson I agree was overrated. Maybe connections did him a favour in early career.
    Jacob a good horseman I think too. As was Aspell, perhaps not a great jockey.
    Geraghty I loved in all ways.
    Walsh I didn't trust- not that he was a bad jockey but just always thought something could go wrong. He was extremely lucky to have some fabulous horses to ride in his career. Years before he retired someone in racing told me had had lost his nerve and was struggling. Lot of high profile falls around that time, but he couldn't afford to give up. ( Issues off course apparently)
    I don't rate Cobden and wonder if he's another one that Nicholls get them young boss them around line?
    I initially didn't like De Bonville but not really sure why but have warmed to him last couple of years, think he's a tremendous horseman and this may make up for the 'bit' he lacks perhaps as a jockey, but that doesn't stop him being very good.
    Different jocks for different horses definitely I really think applies.

Young and up coming I would nominate Caollin Quinn from Warren Greatrex' yard. Really nice lad, grafter, very good hands. Maybe needs to build up his upper body strength but that can come. Been very patient and deserves a proper go.

Also hope Conor O'Farrell gets some wider support as very dear to my heart as he looked after my BBB absolutely to the nth degree, and deserves all success after having had to put with me.
    It's shocking for me to say but I think Sam Twiston Davies is a miles better jockey than when riding for Nicholls and one of the best in the UK at the moment. Never thought I'd think that.

Thanks
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

barjon (1st April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    It's shocking for me to say but I think Sam Twiston Davies is a miles better jockey than when riding for Nicholls and one of the best in the UK at the moment. Never thought I'd think that.
    Perhaps not so shocking. When I try to think of jockeys bringing in horses that have no business winning the race he keeps springing to mind unbidden. Similarly he doesn’t seem to feature much in the catalogue of those who lost but shouldn’t have.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Yes, I almost subconsciously note what STD rides as I think he is a quiet job jockey. I think certain trainers like to use him when they've lined one up. I have no strong opinion on his ability as a jockey but it looks to me like those trainers are keen to have him onside when it matters.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    STD is in that middle-tier (imo), but I admit that if he's good enough for Dr Newland to put up regularly, that's generally good enough for me.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    STD is in that middle-tier (imo), but I admit that if he's good enough for Dr Newland to put up regularly, that's generally good enough for me.
    Yeah. Not many top tier jockeys plying their trade in the UK. Fewer in Ireland than a decade ago also.

Someone who wasnt quite in the top tier 10-15 years ago would be viewed as an all time great if riding now - a Mick Fitz or Choc Thornton.
    Last edited by HawkWing; 1st April 2022 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts

If Dunne had lost his temper once, it would perhaps be forgivable, but it has been proven that there has been a campaign of bullying and intimidation over many months. As I said, in any other industry, this would result in the perpetrator losing his job.

The situation has not been overblown by me or anyone else. It is a straightforward comparison with what happens in the real world and what happens in racing; where - sadly - archaic attitudes such as yours a seem to prevail more often than not. So do me a favour - don't attempt to 'normalise' this, because it betrays a complete ignorance of what happens outside of little racing's bubble.

Finally, it's also worth pointing out that Dunne is still suspended for 10 months........which doesn't really fit with your idiotic "nothing to see here" argument.
    So, now you've gone all supercilious on me. In your workplace, do you try tear everyone to bits who doesn't agree with you?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    So, now you've gone all supercilious on me. In your workplace, do you try tear everyone to bits who doesn't agree with you?
    Only if they tell me to "behave" when they're quite clearly in the wrong.

Can we move on now?

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Any jockey who cannot command a ride at the premier meeting of the season - or who chooses to forgo riding there in order to hoover-up winners at the gaff tracks - is a champion in name only, imo. Hughes is in his 17th season as a jockey. He has ridden in a little over 10,000 races, has accumulated a little over 1500 winners, and has over 100 winners in each of his last eight seasons. However, despite all of that, his career Grade 1 tally stands at two wins (in 2015 and 2018).

He is champion jockey because he gets the pick of the rides from the best yards in the North - and rarely ventures down South to have a go in a more competitive arena. It has fu*ck-all to do with his hands, his tactical nous, or the clock in his head. He farms low-level dross better than anyone else, and he puts the yards in - I'll concede that much - but he is strictly a Westlife champion; it's all about the numbers - don't expect any substance.
    I have never come across so much garbage in one post. You ever spoke like that in front of a jockey or a trainer you'd be laughed at, ignored or told to fckk off out if it. You are clueless mate best stick to what you know like how many grade ones HF won
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I have never come across so much garbage in one post. You ever spoke like that in front of a jockey or a trainer you'd be laughed at, ignored or told to fckk off out if it. You are clueless mate best stick to what you know like how many grade ones HF won

He is a new-age Peter Niven - get over it.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks

GH sums up this whole situation perfectly.

The appeal process as highlighted by Lydia Hislop, was a disgrace.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chroniclandlord For This Useful Post:

barjon (1st April 2022), Bonjers (1st April 2022), Desert Orchid (1st April 2022), Desperate Dan (1st April 2022), Grasshopper (1st April 2022), Len Madeiros (1st April 2022), trudij (1st April 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He is a new-age Peter Niven - get over it.
    Get over it? you condescending plonker

You're full of shite and as I said clueless. Ayr is on one of the best ever Davy Russell is here...How many rides has he commanded outside of those yards he rides for on a regular basis?....what about Paul Townsend, Nico or any other Southern based jockey you care to mention has come up and a trainer has jocked off their stable jockey to give them the ride? Brian Hughes rides mainly for Donald McCain how many runners did he have at Cheltenham 1 I believe or perhaps 2 no hopers......If Brian Hughes was riding for WPM he'd have won on everything PT did...he didn't because he's a northern based Jockey and one of the best we have seen in a very long time.........get over it
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chroniclandlord View Post
    GH sums up this whole situation perfectly.

The appeal process as highlighted by Lydia Hislop, was a disgrace.
    And why should Lydia Hislop be regarded as the oracle on anything? Well remember the hatchet job she attempted on Keiran Fallon,which was ultimately laughed out of court.
    Last edited by reet hard; 1st April 2022 at 3:32 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

LUKE (1st April 2022)

Thanks
    I read this- really good piece.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Yes, I almost subconsciously note what STD rides as I think he is a quiet job jockey. I think certain trainers like to use him when they've lined one up. I have no strong opinion on his ability as a jockey but it looks to me like those trainers are keen to have him onside when it matters.
    Whaaat??? Quiet???? He's the last one in the world to ride quietly! He's utterly appalling. Watch him coming to last couple of fences when in contention. His arms are all the place, he's bouncing all over the place, sending so many confusing messages to his poor rides. He's a really nice guy but he is a terrible jockey. Possibly thought of as better since leaving Nicholls as not under so much pressure and less likely to be noticed.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Whaaat??? Quiet???? He's the last one in the world to ride quietly! He's utterly appalling. Watch him coming to last couple of fences when in contention. His arms are all the place, he's bouncing all over the place, sending so many confusing messages to his poor rides. He's a really nice guy but he is a terrible jockey. Possibly thought of as better since leaving Nicholls as not under so much pressure and less likely to be noticed.
    I don't mean quiet in the sense of his riding style. More quiet in the sense that he rides jobs for trainers that don't have the highest profiles. I suppose if he's landing a gamble it isn't really going to matter to the punters how tidy he looks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think STD is brilliant to watch and he gives everything in a finish.i just dont believe he confuses a horse.the horse probably thinks if hes trying that hard I'd better try as well.
    And I cant believe there are so many against Tom Scu.i love to see him booked for anything I've backed and zSzTD and Bryony.

Too many armchair jockeys on here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    One of my biggest bugbears is they way they crash down on the horses back in a finish...STD one of the worst. It simply cannot be good for the horses. Makes me wonder about all these horses having back issues especially kissing spines, these days.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

barjon (1st April 2022), Desert Orchid (1st April 2022), G-G (3rd April 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    One of my biggest bugbears is they way they crash down on the horses back in a finish...STD one of the worst. It simply cannot be good for the horses. Makes me wonder about all these horses having back issues especially kissing spines, these days.
    I don't get to kiss enough spines these days...