Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aintree - Other Races

Thanks

Aintree - Other Races

Entries for Thursday and Friday are out. The forecast is for plenty of rain and whilst we do have an extra week between the two Festivals this year both being run on deep ground might nullify that.

I'd find it hard to oppose Gerri in the Bowl but I do think the top of the market is vulnerable in the Manifesto. Grey Dawning was impressive in the Turners but the Mildmay fences are tough and he did have a hard race with Ginny's. I've taken some 20s about Tahmuras who missed Cheltenham, ran well in the Dipper but did jump to the left on occasion and has course form.

I can't see an angle on the hurdle races on the Thursday but the Red Rum is fascinating. I can't see a horse I like for it given the conditions. Tempted by Boothill if anything.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Nickys are back to form and if so the bowl could be a fascinating duel between Gerri and Shishkin if they jump the last 2 or 3 together.

Both are as tough as nails and always mange to find.

Hewick will have his supporters but Really? can lightning strike twice. I doubt it he will be tailed off this time.

Kargese is pure class and has proved she has what it takes. However if Sir Gino is as good as Nicky says he may be a class up from the others.

Always like Bob Olinger he has a touch of class so wont be opposing him.

Alan Kings Masaccio is overpriced at 14/1 for the William Hill

Protektorat is my NAP of the meeting if he runs in the Melling Chase.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bythesametoken in the Red Rum. He's been in good form this season and soft or heavy ground won't be a problem. They've given him a nice break of two months or so from his last run and he can go really well in this.
    Last edited by Marb; 7th April 2024 at 10:30 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Danny (10th April 2024)

Thanks
    Liverpool Hurdle has a nice shape to it punting wise with Teahuupoo too short (best fresh). Strong Leader loves the track and avoided Cheltenham. Anything in double figures is very attractive.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Tommy's Oscar ran well here last year over 2m4f and was cantering 3 out finishing 4th.

He may just run into a place (4) over this shorter trip and could be worth supporting EW at a big price
    Last edited by Tanlic; 8th April 2024 at 3:43 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I agree with that. I went through the race yesterday and most of them at the top of the market I wanted to place lay.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Tommy's Oscar but the way it jumped right last time is off putting
    .ive used my Epic Boost on PEMBROKE 12/1 to 24/1 for Skelton.i assume they missed Cheltenham to wait for this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm wondering if the old boy Chantry House is starting to look well handicapped for the staying handicap hurdle on Saturday at 1:20.

Nicky Henderson's got plenty entered for Aintree. Chantry House is a horse who was a talented novice chaser, but lost his way after being pulled up in the Gold Cup. Clearly fences aren't for him anymore, but there's been glimmers of light in handicap hurdles this year. That third place behind Buddy One has been franked, and he was giving Buddy 7lbs in weight that day. Chantry won't be carrying anywhere near 12 stone if he runs on Saturday. He's dropped another couple of pounds in the handicap and the less weight he carries the better for him. This a horse who was third in Shiskin's soft ground Supreme Novices Hurdle, and it doesn't look like Chantry House has lost a leg since then either. If anything he's getting handicapped to run well in a race like this. Sometimes it really does bode well to have a bit of back form in graded races, just look at Monmiral at the festival, with his graded novice hurdle form. Chantry House an each way squeak then, if he turns up in good order.
    Last edited by Marb; 8th April 2024 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    I know one that's well handicapped in the 2.30 on Saturday

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

an capall (9th April 2024)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I gotta back Sir Gino despite the fact we have absolutely no evidence that Nicky's horses are fit and well.

One winner from gawd knows how many and another one pulled up yesterday.

I must be out of my mind
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    I like Tommy's Oscar but the way it jumped right last time is off putting
    .ive used my Epic Boost on PEMBROKE 12/1 to 24/1 for Skelton.i assume they missed Cheltenham to wait for this.
    I sat here last night and thought wait until tomorrow to see the Dec's and then went and did the opposite and lo and behold Pembroke isn't running and neither is Tommy's Oscar.
    Will I ever learn.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One bet tomorrow, and off the cliff again with Il Etait Temps.

I had actually wanted him to go in the Turners rather than the Arkle at the Festival, as he doesn't really have the toe for 2m, but then he won again at Leopardstown over the minimum which basically kyboshed any notion of going in the longer race at Cheltenham.

I think the first pair in the Turners had hard enough races, and I really think IET needs this trip, so had a fair old go last night at 4/1. Flat track with a long run-in will suit him, I think.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 10th April 2024 at 1:16 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think you're mad
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I think you're mad
    Every chance. I've spent a fair old time now seeing something in this horse that nobody else apparently sees.

It could be worse though. I mean, I could be after backing an odds-on poke in a G1 juvenile, for a yard that hasn't had a winner since Mafeking, eh?
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 10th April 2024 at 3:40 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I gotta back Sir Gino despite the fact we have absolutely no evidence that Nicky's horses are fit and well.

One winner from gawd knows how many and another one pulled up yesterday.

I must be out of my mind
    I know nothing was expected of Juke Box Fury but after 2 hurdles he slowed so much it's a miracle the horse got down to the post

A similar performance in the bumper from Nicky's you can expect withdrawals tomorrow
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

I think the first pair in the Turners had hard enough races, and I really think IET needs this trip, so had a fair old go last night at 4/1. Flat track with a long run-in will suit him, I think.
    Can see that but the drift on Ginny's to 9/2 has me tempted. Yes he's had a fairly busy season and Grey Dawning is more of a stayer so the softer ground here compared to Cheltenham is liable to be in his favour but, a big but, the Mildmay fences are stiffer than Cheltenham and if there's a race ending or at least comprising error in this race is much more likely to come from the favourite or IET than it is Ginny's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    Bythesametoken in the Red Rum. He's been in good form this season and soft or heavy ground won't be a problem. They've given him a nice break of two months or so from his last run and he can go really well in this.

Will be backing him each way.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Can see that but the drift on Ginny's to 9/2 has me tempted. Yes he's had a fairly busy season and Grey Dawning is more of a stayer so the softer ground here compared to Cheltenham is liable to be in his favour but, a big but, the Mildmay fences are stiffer than Cheltenham and if there's a race ending or at least comprising error in this race is much more likely to come from the favourite or IET than it is Ginny's.
    Perfectly reaonable take - though drift is getting towards the alarming end of the scale, imo.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 10th April 2024 at 8:46 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, I think tomorrow’s Aintree Hurdle is the poorest edition of the race that I can ever remember.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    FWIW, I think tomorrow’s Aintree Hurdle is the poorest edition of the race that I can ever remember.
    And a 'Handicapper' may just win it