Page 87 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3777828384858687888990919297 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2655

Thread: TV coverage

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Awaiting your tech help Chromecast post Mo :0

Seriously, I was going to post something and thought, nah, these guys will reeeeeaaallly think I'm hopeless.

As Mark Twain would say, better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post

Seriously, I was going to post something and thought, nah, these guys will reeeeeaaallly think I'm hopeless.

As Mark Twain would say, better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
    Always ask Mo. The shut mouth goes unfed
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Luke Harvey at the Canal Turn: this is an acute right angle...

FFS

Thanks
    Some of the TV pictures have been breath taking

I love the aerial shots

Racing tv has lots of evolving of small things that it could embrace
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Bryony is a good looking woman. Surprisingly single

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Bryony is a good looking woman. Surprisingly single
    She certainly wins best turned out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Bryony isn't ugly but she's no stunner. Not that looks count for too much, mind. I agree with Viking, she was very smartly attired last week.

I was pleased to see three or four of the TV guys last week wearing their checked suits. I might get another few turns out of the one I have mothballed at the back of the wardrobe for the last 20 years...

And does Cumani decide for herself what she wears? She looks stuck in a 50s Hitchcockesque time-warp.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post

And does Cumani decide for herself what she wears? She looks stuck in a 50s Hitchcockesque time-warp.
    classic.

Was thinking that, wondering where the hell Scobie Breasley is riding and asking American GIs at the airbases for nylons,

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Clanger For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (14th April 2019)

Thanks
    Wouldn't like to be paying money for Racing TV's coverage. Viewers shouldn't have to put up with split screens if coughing up 25 quid a month.

And how come the mercenary Persad is presenting from Leicester when Haydock has much more prize money?

Thanks
    I'm as big a fan of Altior as there is but I do wish the ITV people would give over with the hype.

Sure, he's beaten all comers and he's won 19 in a row (hopefully Celtic will surpass that in 2030 ) but he hasn't really impressed all season. I think he's got a problem of some sort and I'm not sure it's anything to do with the trip now being too short for him.

I hope I'm 110% wrong, but I wonder if he is going over the hill.

But if any other horse had won his races as narrowly as he's been doing there would be no hype at all.

Sensationalist shite.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 27th April 2019 at 7:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did not see the races live today or any ITV coverage but as Nicky said on RTV credit to the horse for doing it time after time , having missed only one engagement due to his wind op.
    His sire had the distinction of having never been passed once hitting the front so like father like son.
    Hurricane Fly had similar doubters, "Doubting Thomas" first reared his head this time of year I suppose.

Thanks
    I'm not crabbing Altior - at least it's not my intention - it's the incessant fawning of the ITV mob when all he's doing is winning less easily than he should be.

Maybe it's just the price we have to pay for keeping the racing on council TV.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (28th April 2019), edgt (27th April 2019)

Thanks
    I think Altior is probably on the decline but his 90% will be good enough.

Up in trip should suit him too

Thanks

TV Coverage

I couldn't see the existing thread...

Ed Chamberlin on the viewing figures:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/derb...figures/383740

He obviously takes his job very seriously and clearly cares about racing on TV so his frustrations are understandable.

I've never been a fan of the fashion slots but accept that they're needed for royal Ascot TV viewing. That said, the two fashion presenters are a class apart from their predecessors.

The Social Stable is a total waste of space for me but maybe they feel they have to cater for the numbskull immediacy of social media addicts. They should really be going in the opposite direction and finding ways of getting people to appreciate the sport for what it is and get into it longer term.

Some of the flash-bang-wallop filler items are nothing but a distraction. Again they're catering for audio-visual passers-by. The chances of them hooking one of them long-term are several thousand to one, so why bother.

Better paddock coverage, better form analysis, better tipping and fewer gimmicks would certainly be appreciated by people who tune in for the racing and not channel-hopping.

If Chris Hughes is so good get him to do something meaningful. To me he's just an enthusiast used to attract a young female audience or any numbskull who thinks Love Island is good TV.

Get rid of Luke Harvey and Brian Gleeson. Get Chapman to get serious and cut out the cr@p.

Weaver is excellent and a huge improvement on the NH programmes.

Blake has been an excellent addition too.

I would like to see Nick Luck brought back into the fold. He has a touch of gravitas now.

I would also like to see more pre- and post-race analysis, with reference to sectionals and track/pace bias.

The Insider feature rather backfired on Saturday. People passing by want to be tipped winners. It can't happen all the time but a regular profit-making feature - which obviously cannot be guaranteed - will bring in viewers.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (3rd June 2019)

Thanks
    Agree about Blake and Weaver but must admit that I've always loved Luke !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    must admit that I've always loved Luke !

Ah well, there's hope for people like me after all

Thanks
    They don't focus enough on the horses - before the second race they were prattling on - again - about the two in the Derby they had dedicated almost all of the morning show to, Chamberlain going round the podium 'what's your tip' - obviously he hadn't been watching in the morning as they had already given their tips, horses walking round behind them in the paddock, then they went to Chapman and Hughes - that slot really is a waste of time. I couldn't be bothered to watch after that.
    Blake and Weaver are class. Love listening to their comments.
    Chapman is just moronic and rude.
    Harvey is just doing a Thompson and they got rid of him...........
    'Ollie and Cesca'........have no idea why they are even there.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Just another mention about expert input.

One of the great features about some other TV sports is the expertise used.

In athletics, Michael Johnson is compulsive listening. Intelligent, articulate, considered and informative while always engaging. There's also usually in-depth pace analysis, expertly interpreted. They can tell you after a few laps of the 10,000m what the final time is likely to be be and whether it's on target for a world record or miles off it. When Kelly Holmes won her gold with what looked a late surge they were soon able to tell us that she hadn't quickened, the others had slowed and Kelly herself said later she was ignoring the others and timing her own race. There's a lesson there for jockeys.

In snooker they can superimpose lines and circles to show what path the cue-ball should take and where is its ideal finishing position.

John Gosden and Willie Mullins are compulsive listening in their post-race comments. Mullins can tell you his horse was beaten at halfway when we're watching it thinking it's cantering. None of the TV team can do that. Even when they bring in Mick Fitz or AP mid-race they're very non-committal. Occasionally they'll point to one travelling better than those around but they're usually obvious to a casual viewer.

All in all, it's just not good enough. The TV programme is more focused on being just that - a TV programme - than a serious sports programme.

PS - to whoever merged the threads, appreciated!
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 3rd June 2019 at 2:22 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (3rd June 2019), edgt (3rd June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As previously stated it is called horse racing for a reason, so concentrate on the horses.
    Too many presenters spoil any show.
    The post race press conference sounded most interesting so why not show it ? they do so in other sports or so I am told.
    Brough Scott is past his best by date: it will happen us all but .
    Jason Weaver is best placed to speak about going for home too soon in Derby but from what I saw not a dicky bird of reference; that is plain lazy by all concerned.

Thanks
    By the way, the caption at the end of the show on Saturday said they'd be at Musselburgh this Saturday coming but there's no meeting scheduled.

I'm a wee bit disappointed as I'd presumed the meeting with the £100k sprint hcap would be taking place. I think it was discussed in passing in the longshot thread but then when I checked and saw it wasn't scheduled I wondered what had happened. Then at the end of the programme it was on the caption. It's not listed at the RP site.