Page 81 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081828384858691131 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 2655

Thread: TV coverage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The trouble is, there are so many 'colourful' words flying around our modern day societies, collective-vocabulary-word bank-cells that, err..(see my thread in the lounge for further illustration), it actually becomes easy to adopt the vulgar and challenged language of just about anyone who thinks they've got a good point to make in their chosen area of expertise, and thenceforth, one can contaminate oneself in pure undiluted shite from other shite.

Thenceforth..the only thing to fear, is shite itself.
    Last edited by Marb; 25th January 2019 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Is there a difference between the American like and the Geordie type like or are both equally as horrifically unlikable, like.
    I don't think 'like' is an American 'thing' - unfortunately we Brits have to take the blame fair and square.
    Like in Geordie is far less irritating then when dramas set in, or have characters from that part of the world, and scriptwriters feel have to use the words 'canny lass/canny lad' ever other sentence in case the viewer cannae suss where they are supposed to be from. Like .
    Last edited by G-G; 25th January 2019 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks
    But how about "like, whatever! " surely that's American ? All that talk to the hand stuff.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    But how about "like, whatever! " surely that's American ? All that talk to the hand stuff.
    The prevalence of “like” throughout sentences as well as the rise of literally and basically is a modern curse - my seven year old cannot get through a sentence without about three uses of “like” !

My big bugbear of racing coverage is the abandonment of “the” - your favourite , your winner - spectacularly annoying.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    I don't mind 'like' too much if it's part of someone's accent/cultural background.

I once dated an American girl who had family roots in the east end of Glasgow and she'd come back to Scotland with her mum to re-settle after a parental split. She spoke with a taking drawl but interjected regularly with a Glaswegian-sounding 'right?', which I struggled to stop laughing at. It added to her charm, though.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Where is this thread going?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

7. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (26th January 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Where is this thread going?
    Weston super mare.

Thanks
    Kate Harrington is shocking on RTV -repeatedly stuttering and mumbling-needs intensive media training.

Thanks
    yes she looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Jane Mangan is really good on the FF podcast.

Knows her stuff and not into messing about. RUK went for the wrong approach with Harrington.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Jane Mangan is confident and knowledgeable -she does a great job.
    Last edited by LUKE; 26th January 2019 at 5:00 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Jane Mangan is confident and knowledgeable -she does a great job.
    Absolutely agreed. Strong opinions, intelligently researched, articulately expressed.

PS: Did anybody listen to all of this week's preview Podcast? Kennedy was hurting my ears and brain so much that I turned it off. I understand Blake gave the 4YO winner when it was still 14s. Is this true?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    I understand Blake gave the 4YO winner when it was still 14s. Is this true?
    I had a discussion with the brother on the phone yesterday about this. He was wondering why Blake didn't mention it on the morning programme given he's apparently the one that decides where Joseph's horses run.

I had the programme on in the background but wasn't really listening to it so can't say whether he mentioned it or not. If he did I might have backed it. I've probably got it recorded but there's no way I'm watching it all the way through just to see. It's shite enough first time round.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Kevin Blake is decent and I’d listen to him over 90% of TV pundits. I watch RTV over ITV but that’s more to do with habit and I think the combination of McCoy and Blake with Chamberlain fronting is an excellent one.

I caught a bit yesterday when Blake was explaining schooling races in Ireland and although I’ve been following racing for 35 years I’d never really heard about these.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Absolutely agreed. Strong opinions, intelligently researched, articulately expressed.

PS: Did anybody listen to all of this week's preview Podcast? Kennedy was hurting my ears and brain so much that I turned it off. I understand Blake gave the 4YO winner when it was still 14s. Is this true?
    Yep. It is

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I had a discussion with the brother on the phone yesterday about this. He was wondering why Blake didn't mention it on the morning programme given he's apparently the one that decides where Joseph's horses run.

I had the programme on in the background but wasn't really listening to it so can't say whether he mentioned it or not. If he did I might have backed it. I've probably got it recorded but there's no way I'm watching it all the way through just to see. It's shite enough first time round.

Kevin Blake helps out Joseph with race planning for flat handicappers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Kevin Blake is decent and I’d listen to him over 90% of TV pundits. I watch RTV over ITV but that’s more to do with habit and I think the combination of McCoy and Blake with Chamberlain fronting is an excellent one.

I caught a bit yesterday when Blake was explaining schooling races in Ireland and although I’ve been following racing for 35 years I’d never really heard about these.
    Friend in Northern Ireland uses these a lot . I think they are a great idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post

In the 1980s BBC used cover the Punchestown mid February meeting, National Trial chase, Novice hurdle , Novice Chase to get a view of Irish trained horses pre Festival. 1985 the racecourse added a schooling race to the end of the card for other Cheltenham bound horses.
    There was huge interest in Regal Dawn, a Mick O'Toole trained Soverign Path gelding that won a maiden p2p and was due to make his racecourse debut in Supreme Novice Hurdle at the Festival .Others to run included 1982 Champion Hurdle winner For Auction, and some other Festival fancy.
    Regal Dawn wore a number cloth , the same number as three other M A O' Toole inmates as a type of subterfuge, but only one finished upsides For Auction and the other fancy. Regal Dawn started second favourite for Supreme Novice but finished sixth or so but the schooling race idea gained prominence after especially with the huge numbers of horses in training ; you could have up to 300 to 400 horses showing up at Thurles, Tipperary or wherever on a schooling day, with all the top jockeys present.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

an capall (28th January 2019), wilsonl (27th January 2019)

Thanks
    A valuable insight into the history of the sport as ever Edgt. Much appreciated.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post

Find Blake excellent. Can not listen to Kennedy anymore so have stopped listening to the final curling podcast lately.

The matchbook one generally had Rory Delargy and sometimes Donn Mcclean which is a much better offering.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk