Page 19 of 133 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969119 ... LastLast

Thread: TV coverage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    The point he makes about advertising appeal is correct. The rest is utter rubbish.

Thanks
    http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...-for-tv-racing

Good lord, subtlety is obviously not his strong point. Reminds me of Alan Partridge ending every anecdote in his book with 'needless to say I had the last laugh'.

Good to see he's also not too afraid to stick in a job application at the end as well!

What a tit.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Recorded before the change to ITV was announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBrC3vG1nig

Thanks
    I understand why they would defend their coverage and the team. Why would they do anything else. It would however have been good to hear their thoughts on how things could be improved.

They make a fair point made that viewing figures were in decline on the BBC before the swich, and the truth is that all sports viewing figures on terrestrial TV bar football have seen a similar decline in viewing figures.

Having said that I think they have inadvertently found the single common denominator between the BBC and C4 horse racing ratings decline. Rishi!

Thanks
    It's an interesting watch, if a little defensive. Persad has an interesting point but the sport by its very nature is a difficult one to access and I'd be hard pressed to come up with ideas of how to change that. With regards to the coverage do you accept your lot and appeal to the diehards or try and appeal to a larger audience?

With ITV's plan to split the coverage between two channels they have a chance to do both. The showcase events such as the National and Derby should be focused towards the entertainment side of things. Channel 4's idea to have a whole days programming themed around the National was a good one and should be carried forward by ITV. I don't think hardcore racing fans would begrudge the coverage being a little more light hearted on such days as long as the coverage on ITV4 was of a more serious nature.

Messing with the sport itself is a dangerous game and not one I'd support. I would've been interested to hear what kind of changes Persad is thinking of but I got the impression from Luck's face and all the edits in that video he was being reigned in a little.

*written before seeing Maruco's post
    Last edited by TheBear; 14th January 2016 at 2:26 PM.

Thanks
    On reflection, if they'd know about the switch to ITV,maybe C4 wouldn't have bothered to change the time of the Grand National.

Thanks
    I think that's almost certain Roger. The negotiation must have been made under the assumption that they'd still have the coverage. The timings are interesting and I still think there's something in this that we don't know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBear View Post
    With ITV's plan to split the coverage between two channels they have a chance to do both. The showcase events such as the National and Derby should be focused towards the entertainment side of things. Channel 4's idea to have a whole days programming themed around the National was a good one and should be carried forward by ITV. I don't think hardcore racing fans would begrudge the coverage being a little more light hearted on such days as long as the coverage on ITV4 was of a more serious nature.
    I'd agree with that. It's a good observation. Split coverage would allow them to experiment with the format, style, and presenters. I suspect what we'll actually get though is small re-hash with a slightly different mix of the same old presenters.

Thanks
    Watching Sunday Forum on ATR, Mccririk is an absolute tosspot, will not let anyone else speak, just shouts, anyone who thinks he is good for the sport needs a padded cell.

Thanks
    Awful TV, can't see why they continue to use him

Thanks
    He does talk sh1te on this issue.
    But shall we just have all and sundry talking pc. Would bore the arse off me.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Banned
    Thanks
    i love it when he talks sh1te..never a dull moment with Mac..cracking stuff..heads gone a bit now..but i'd still rather watch him than the dullard club.

I'd love to see Mac/MattC/Rory/Andy Holding.. having a chat in front of the cameras.would be great..Rory would love it i know
    Last edited by EC1; 17th January 2016 at 1:24 PM.

Thanks
    The thing is I'm sure Mac has some valid points, some not so valid, but he just shouts above whoever is in the firing line at the time so you can't hear who's making what points. If you're listening to a debate, you want to hear both side's arguments.

The irony this morning is that Mac thinks the whip spoils the image of racing, yet doesn't realise anyone new to racing who switched on to that rumpus wouldn't find the image of racing that great either. Beside which if Mac finds racing that objectionable, he should get off the gravy train.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a significant amount of racing 'talent' that exists between Mac's dribblings and the "dullard club"?

Problem is, none of them are part of the racing establishment, so don't get a look-in and have to hide-out on the Internet.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Banned
    Thanks
    thats true..being serious..i'm surprised Mac still gets airtime...heads gone...too old

I would like to see Rory and Andy Holding given a chance seriously..the best two pundits..bar none around. I've not heard anyone better...throw in Chappers and Lord Snooty to present...Ken Pitterson in the paddock..games a good un..don't need a betting guru..just put up oddschecker sheet and let pundits discuss
    Last edited by EC1; 17th January 2016 at 2:47 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with Andy Holding's work, but always been a big fan of Rory's. Great combination of form knowledge, racing's history, honest assessment, and common-touch (no emphasis on 'common' here, Rory, in case you're looking-in).

If racing wants to attract new audiences, it needs people who speak the language of the internet. Not just when it comes to betting, but simply as a matter of presenting style. The old crusties are a complete anachronism, and don't connect with racing's target market in any way, shape or form. Ex-jockeys, worn-out journos, hangers-on from the racing-set, and refugees from bookmakers, make no effort to modulate racing's inscrutable language, to make it accessible to the desired demographic. It really needs people like Rory who can translate racing-speak into something Joe Public understands, to grab these viewers attention, and be able to hold onto it.

I've often thought about what I wish I'd known right-away, when I started racing.......instead of having to learn the hard-way i.e. endlessly spu*nking cash up the wall, until I sort of figured it out (this gives me an idea for a thread).

American Football was on the TV for years, but despite this, at the start of each season, there would be a brief run-down of the rules, scoring system etc. It was no use to me whatsoever, but essential for anyone unfamiliar with the game, but whose interest was sufficiently piqued, to go to the trouble of checking it out. It would be no bad thing, imo, if this new show on ITV, adopted a similar approach, and tried to give some sort of education about how the sport operates, rather than focusing solely on form.

For example, the casual viewer does not benefit from knowing that a horse has a 16lb turnaround for 7L against the favourite, if he/she has no concept of lb-for-length handicapping. Most casual viewers probably don't even appreciate that Flat and Jumps are two entirely separate things. They are ignorant of even these simplest demarcations. Don't believe me? Then ask a friend to name as many Derby Winners as they can. It's practically guaranteed that someone will mention Desert Orchid and/or Red Rum. They will have no clue who Arkle is, and they will have no clue who Nijinsky is either.

This new show should seek to educate the viewer on these and other matters.

A 20-minute vignette each Saturday showing the history of the sport - possibly particular to races being held that day - would give the viewer a historical reference-point, which might help expand their interest. Showcase a particular aspect of the sport each week. Show how betting-markets work, and the difference between FO and Exchanges. Show them how the Race Programme works, and how Class of Race relates directly to ability. Show them why breeding exists, and how some lines are more successful than others (summer only). Dare I say it, even have a "What are the Forums/Twitter saying?" segment. And get some 'If you would like to know more..." URLs scrolling across the bottom of the screen every now and then, linking people to places like here, where they can get an even more detailed education from people who have the time and inclination to do so.

There is so much more that racing coverage could be doing from an editorial point of view, beyond it's formulaic 'Here are the horses, here is their form, that was the race' approach, to make it accessible to the casual viewer. Let's hope that the new mob have some creative ideas, otherwise it's another opportunity lost.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 17th January 2016 at 3:23 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I'm not familiar with Andy Holding's work, but always been a big fan of Rory's. Great combination of form knowledge, racing's history, honest assessment, and common-touch (no emphasis on 'common' here, Rory, in case you're looking-in).

If racing wants to attract new audiences, it needs people who speak the language of the internet. Not just when it comes to betting, but simply as a matter of presenting style. The old crusties are a complete anachronism, and don't connect with racing's target market in any way, shape or form. Ex-jockeys, worn-out journos, hangers-on from the racing-set, and refugees from bookmakers, make no effort to modulate racing's inscrutable language, to make it accessible to the desired demographic. It really needs people like Rory who can translate racing-speak into something Joe Public understands, to grab these viewers attention, and be able to hold onto it.

I've often thought about what I wish I'd known right-away, when I started racing.......instead of having to learn the hard-way i.e. endlessly spu*nking cash up the wall, until I sort of figured it out (this gives me an idea for a thread).

American Football was on the TV for years, but despite this, at the start of each season, there would be a brief run-down of the rules, scoring system etc. It was no use to me whatsoever, but essential for anyone unfamiliar with the game, but whose interest was sufficiently piqued, to go to the trouble of checking it out. It would be no bad thing, imo, if this new show on ITV, adopted a similar approach, and tried to give some sort of education about how the sport operates, rather than focusing solely on form.

For example, the casual viewer does not benefit from knowing that a horse has a 16lb turnaround for 7L against the favourite, if he/she has no concept of lb-for-length handicapping. Most casual viewers probably don't even appreciate that Flat and Jumps are two entirely separate things. They are ignorant of even these simplest demarcations. Don't believe me? Then ask a friend to name as many Derby Winners as they can. It's practically guaranteed that someone will mention Desert Orchid and/or Red Rum. They will have no clue who Arkle is, and they will have no clue who Nijinsky is either.

This new show should seek to educate the viewer on these and other matters.

A 20-minute vignette each Saturday showing the history of the sport - possibly particular to races being held that day - would give the viewer a historical reference-point, which might help expand their interest. Showcase a particular aspect of the sport each week. Show how betting-markets work, and the difference between FO and Exchanges. Show them how the Race Programme works, and how Class of Race relates directly to ability. Show them why breeding exists, and how some lines are more successful than others (summer only). Dare I say it, even have a "What are the Forums/Twitter saying?" segment. And get some 'If you would like to know more..." URLs scrolling across the bottom of the screen every now and then, linking people to places like here, where they can get an even more detailed education from people who have the time and inclination to do so.

There is so much more that racing coverage could be doing from an editorial point of view, beyond it's formulaic 'Here are the horses, here is their form, that was the race' approach, to make it accessible to the casual viewer. Let's hope that the new mob have some creative ideas, otherwise it's another opportunity lost.
    what you say about American football..i nearly posted a few weeks ago..about another sport..you beat me by weeks this time

i was thinking about Rubgy..i've never been a fan..not because i don't like it..i don't understand it...i watched some of the world cup..and it annoyed me that i didn't understand why penalties were being given

not knowing about a sport does put people off..you are right..education would make racing more appealing..in fact..it would show other sports coverage something they rarely address..actually explaining what the game is about
    Last edited by EC1; 17th January 2016 at 3:30 PM.

Thanks
    Ultimately I think you could have strippers fronting the show and it still won't generate the vast more viewers they hope for.
    It's a minority sport at the end of the day.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As was Darts until they got their TV coverage right. And snooker. And American Football. The list goes on, Frankel.

SlimChance, March 2018