Page 12 of 133 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast

Thread: TV coverage

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
    Archie, you are dead right. It's the same in New Zealand too.

Just like the UK, these two countries have fallen into the trap of sitting back and just presuming, or hoping, that people turn up, rather than getting out there and marketing the sport effectively - I can't think of a more insular sport than ours.

It needs to be pointed out to those running racing that it's not the only game in town any more, there's no forever 1953.

The days when people had to do a bit of hard graft and learn about racing if they fancied a bet have long gone.
    the main problem that racing has that in this country the only time racing gets media coverage ..its usually negative. It would matter not what C4 racing or the ML had been doing for the last 12 months...even if it had been brilliant and attracting new viewers..the awful documentary ..including a lot of horse racing...not long ago featuring Corals would have wiped out any good that would have achieved.

If a neutral had watched that 3 part documentary they would have seen:

1. That bookies are happy to flood the high street with shops just for machine use. they showed two in one town..one round the corner from the other.
    2. That even if you win you will then you be limited or have your account closed..so you only welcome if you will please lose your money.
    3. That they were happy to show a young lad who was addicted to the machines..showed him at home with a cupboard of pasta to last him a fortnight..happy enough to film him..no sign of anyone trying to help him with his addiction though.

None of the above was a good bit of PR..it was a disaster for bookieing and altogether made the whole industry look pretty grubby

whilst the above is being highlighted on mainstream, TV..its hardly surprising people aren't drawn in

the best bit is..Corals actually believed it was good PR??
    Last edited by EC1; 22nd November 2015 at 5:08 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    the main problem that racing has that in this country the only time racing gets media coverage ..its usually negative. It would matter not what C4 racing or the ML had been doing for the last 12 months...even if it had been brilliant and attracting new viewers..the awful documentary ..including a lot of horse racing...not long ago featuring Corals would have wiped out any good that would have achieved.

If a neutral had watched that 3 part documentary they would have seen:

1. That bookies are happy to flood the high street with shops just for machine use. they showed two in one town..one round the corner from the other.
    2. That even if you win you will then you be limited or have your account closed..so you only welcome if you will please lose your mone.
    3. That they were happy to show a young lad who was addicted to the machines..showed him at home with a cupboard of pasta to last him a fortnight..happy enough to film him..no sign of anyone trying to help him with his addiction though.

None of the above was a good bit of PR..it was a disaster for bookieing and altogether made the whole industry look pretty grubby

whilst the above is being highlighted on mainstream, TV..its hardly surprising people aren't drawn in

the best bit is..Corals actually believed it was good PR??
    and what some racing people think is jolly coverage ... Others outside of the sport think is plain grubby and seedy. Barney miseryguts curley

i would add to that the countryside element too. Farmers and inbreds are not top of many peoples list of charmers

the image isn't great
    Last edited by clivex; 22nd November 2015 at 5:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no pleasing some people so why try and please them ?
    Keep the message relatively simple and let the horses do the talking where possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    CH4 moving the national back an hour to 17.15 to improve ratings

F8cking clueless
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    They should switch it to Wolverhampton - thus removing the concern over the fences - and run it round 4 and a half circuits of Dunstall Park, under floodlights at c. 9:17 PM in an advert slot during Made In Chelsea.

That'll get the viewing figures up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    CH4 moving the national back an hour to 17.15 to improve ratings

F8cking clueless
    What??!!!! But but but but but.... Flip me that's ridiculous for all kinds of reasons - is it April 1 rather than December 1?
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    How do you go about starting a FB petition??
    Illegitimi non carborundum

marbler
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    There is no pleasing some people so why try and please them ?
    Keep the message relatively simple and let the horses do the talking where possible.
    Exactly. They should have never got rid of the nutter of Big Mac, as he attracted viewers.

But in light of David Redvers comments last week, I sense there is a witch hunt against the racing on channel 4 now.

Thanks
    I don't see the problem from a TV point of view. It means you can get more people watching (ie football fans after the games) therefore more people in shops putting a punt on. Its light until 8pm at that time of year.
    I do understand people attending it not being happy though. The event is packed with drunken tits and more beer time prior to the off cannot be a good thing.

Thanks
    Moving the start time by an hour is nothing to get in a tizz over imo.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post

Doesn't help if you have a long journey home for a start, but moving an hour will make no difference to who is watching it. It will clash with Final Score for a start but if they don't improve their coverage makes no difference what time of the day they put it on.
    Last edited by G-G; 1st December 2015 at 2:24 PM.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Moving it back to 4.15 was as far as you would want it to go. What was the latest time when the BBC had it? It's because C4 is a minority channel trying to stage the biggest event in the sport and increase its viewing public at the same time.

Form a personal point of view, a later start is a serious inconvenience. We have a huge family party on the day of the race and the timing of the race impacts upon when when we get people to arrive, have dinner and family games and other carry-ons afterwards.

If the race doesn't finish till 5.30 you've then got the replay(s), laps of honour, post-mortems, etc, and then think about serving dinner. By now it's maybe 7pm and dinner takes a couple of hours. How do you then fit in the games, sing-songs, quizzes, etc when you've got kids who are collapsing with exhaustion about 9pm (ie just a few minutes after me).

This idea is a pile of sh1te.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 1st December 2015 at 3:13 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Can't remember how many years ago but not that many there was a similar rumour, I rang Aintree and they said absolutely no way would they be moving the time of the race, but that may have been in BBC days.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Lots of concerned comments elsewhere that low sun could be a problem then on the National Course.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    If this produces higher viewing figures, they'll be doing it for the Derby next year or the year after.

Thanks
    Surely, a Derby at 6.30 with a One Direction reunion concert at 8.30 is a Jockey Club wet dream.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Surely, a Derby at 6.30 with a One Direction reunion concert at 8.30 is a Jockey Club wet dream.
    They're 'taking a break' from April next year so would have to be Derby 2017 if they come back after their year off. Mind you if the JC were quick, they could get in first as they have a clear diary. ( I only know because my 6 year old great niece is devastated
    )
    Quo would probably be available? Madness, they like any excuse to get pissed.
    Last edited by G-G; 1st December 2015 at 8:17 PM.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    They haven't changed the date of Christmas, merely the start time of a race. The one question I'd want answered is about the low sun; after the Canal Turn they're heading north west until the turn into the finishing straight.
    Last edited by Grey; 1st December 2015 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    I want to know that too Grey, but I'm sure you'll agree that the real burning question here is why Jools Holland or a Robbie Tribute haven't been mentioned for the after racing gig.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Does anyone think it will actually improve ratings?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done