Page 118 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1868108113114115116117118119120121122123128 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2649

Thread: TV coverage

Thanks
    Completely agree! I never had a single horse give a problem with stalls simply because I did plenty of education with them. When I worked for one big trainer (who notoriously used to have loads of issues) he used to remember the week before that they had never been in a set of starting stalls

Remember reading an article about Jack Berry the supreme trainer of 2-y-oids who used to canter them in a bunch and then put them through stalls!

Steve Cauthen was terrific, why do ITV waste money employing most of the rest?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Janthefish For This Useful Post:

barjon (4th June 2022)

Thanks
    Completely agree! I never had a single horse give a problem with stalls simply because I did plenty of education with them. When I worked for one big trainer (who notoriously used to have loads of issues) he used to remember the week before that they had never been in a set of starting stalls

Remember reading an article about Jack Berry the supreme trainer of 2-y-oids who used to canter them in a bunch and then put them through stalls!

Steve Cauthen was terrific, why do ITV waste money employing most of the rest?

Thanks
    Gawd I get annoyed with the intrusiveness of ITV's coverage. Rishi has had the job (mostly) this week of interrupting discussions between connections (I know I'm old but that was once regarded as bad manners) and having to question the winning jockey before they've got their breath back and with their adrenaline still pumping, doesn't seem fair to me, especially with Hanagan after that disaster in the Norfolk.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Yes and no.

I do squirm a bit when I see the paddock presenters interrupt connections. As you say, Colin, it's manners as much as anything. Some are worse than others and Rishi is particularly intrusive. I'm pretty sure I've also seen him and maybe Molly Bell take an owner or trainer by the arm to lead them away from the conversation towards the mike. In fairness, most connections are okay about it; most are happy to have their 15 seconds of 'fame'. Trainers are a bit more irked by it and rightly so.

But I'm all in favour of the immediate post-race interviews with the winning jockeys. It's because they're pumped up in the moment that they sometimes say more than connections would probably want them to. You can pick up some nuggets then. Same with trainers.

We now know Thesis is the Charltons' best 3yo, for example.

The brother was on the phone on Wednesday evening to tell me the eldest brother was on Dark Shift in the Hunt Cup because immediately after its last win the trainer had said they'd be keeping the horse off the track to preserve its mark for the Hunt Cup. I'd completely forgotten that.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 17th June 2022 at 9:01 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I accept that that can happen, DO, but I can't believe that connections would be happy with the rider saying too much because he is pumped up. I can see the advantage to punters but they ain't the ones paying the bills.

Thanks
    They just need to be more disciplined, like the wonderful Ryan Moore. He makes Lester Piggott look like Isa Drennan.

It's up to connections to kick his/her arse up and down the car park for blabbing. Or not use him/her again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin (17th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talk about a stuck record. I’m getting sick and tired of the “what does it mean to you” question that’s tossed to everyone.

Thanks
    Yes, every so often one of them comes up with a phrase that is latched on to and by the end of the day is a cliché. Not long ago it was, "Put into words for us..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Racing TV interview with Sir Michael Stoute well worth a watch.
    While he has little enough to say about his horses, the final segment where he discusses his jockeys is truly fabulous .
    His comments on Gary Stevens and Greville Starkey are particularly illuminating.

Thanks
    Interesting to hear a fellow forumite being referred to on RTE's coverage today.As he is a shy and retiring type I won't mention his name. NKFA.

Thanks
    ITV's coverage today - Oli, Adele, Weaver, Blake and Rishi was decent. My teeth didn't grind once.

Thanks
    Not even when Rishi was trying to talk to Holly?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Megan Nicholls.....her voice is starting to grate on me. I spoke to her father on Wednesday after the other daughter won a point to point and he told me Megan was keen to develop her media career....oh dear.
    And she’s just announced her retirement from riding......to concentrate on her media career.....oh dear!
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Haven't listened to MN enough to have an opinion but the Mayor woman's voice really annoys me.

I keep trying to block out the annoyance to try and focus on the information being imparted to see if her punditry is any good.

Not getting there yet.

I look forward to Hayley Turner eventually going permanently into her media role. I have to say she has grown on me in the last year or so.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    And she’s just announced her retirement from riding......to concentrate on her media career.....oh dear!
    I know what you mean Jinny.

She’s pretty and is actually more knowledgeable than I’d have initially thought so has a fair bit to offer in a media roll but she’s just a bit too expressive IMO.

I still wish her well though
    Last edited by wilsonl; 4th August 2022 at 10:48 AM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    I genuinely hate to say it because I actually like pretty much everybody who presents racing on tv (along with listening to WHill racing radio which I love I can only watch racing on ITV). And I know she’s still learning and I do feel bad about thinking it but she does grate on me.
    Last edited by moehat; 4th August 2022 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    I genuinely hate to say it because I actually like pretty much everybody who presents racing on tv
    Are u off your meds again?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I’m with Moehat too. I don’t have the problem that a lot of you have. A friend of mine can’t stand Snaggletooth (Ed C.....check out his front tooth....can’t now I see it!) but I don’t mind him. He does a good job as anchor although when I went down to chat to Jason at Ascot, EC bounced forward thinking I wanted a photo of him....
    Rishi has markedly improved since he joined ITV and it’s clear they have done plenty of media training with him....and the others.
    I like Mick and Luke...but then I know them a little bit and they’re both lovely guys.
    I quite like Leonna, Hayley and Adele but you can keep Francesca and Megan.
    Even the dreaded Matt has his place and while I will never particularly like him, I don’t switch off like I used to.
    Overall I think they have a good mix but they are in danger of adding too many to it.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Eek. Cringeworthy stuff this morning from Chapman.

I've just realised who he reminds me of: Tintin after he's eaten all the pies.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin (6th August 2022)

Thanks
    I'm as big a fan of Baaeed as there is but I do wish the ITV people would stop repeatedly referring to him as the best horse in the world.

I know they're doing it to make the sport more attractive to casual viewers but they're over-cooking it a bit for me.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 13th August 2022 at 4:02 PM.