Thread: Cheltenham Take-Outs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 924 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cheltenham Take-Outs

Here’s a few from me:

BALLYBURN

After the Baring Bingham I said on the blog that Ballyburn had given the performance of the meeting so far and that it would need something special to challenge it. In terms of forward potential I don’t think anything else came close.

BALLYBURN won with a great deal in hand, the contest as good as over as soon as he eased to the front. There's little doubt that he could have won the Supreme had he been pointed in that direction given he beat Slade Steel by 7l in a Grade 1 at Leopardstown last month, and Willie Mullins' last four winners of this event have now been successful over 2m on their previous start. He's a high-class gelding who may even be a Champion Hurdle candidate in a year's time, but so could any number of the Mullins team and all options remain open. One thing we can predict is it's likely to be Punchestown next for him. Racing Post.

BALLYBURN could be anything. That was a Champion Hurdle performance in my book. You'd love to be going chasing with his pedigree and size and scope, but imagine - there you are, with Lossiemouth for the Champion Hurdle next year. I'll have to have a word with Ronnie [Bartlett] and David Manasseh, who own the horse. I don't know, we might just get on chasing and try to make a Gold Cup horse out of him, I don't know - Willie Mullins, trainer.

LANTRYLADY

Whilst Lossiemouth has obvious claims to cementing a place at the top table it was Langtry Lady who caught my eye running a very creditable fourth in the Close Brothers on only the third start of her career.

Lantry Lady is the one for the future, definitely. That was only her third start and Jack (Kennedy) said she just got a little bit lost at the start. She's probably a three-mile mare in time, so I'm delighted - Henry de Bromhead, trainer.

TEAHUPOO

Changing of the guard was finally completed by Teahupoo’s victory in the Stayers Hurdle and I can’t see him being beaten any time soon unless it’s by his stablemate.

TEAHUPOO beaten under a length despite slight interference on the run-in 12 months earlier, had been kept fresh for the race this time, having not run since winning the Hatton's Grace in December, and he stamped his authority in the straight, coming away nicely up the hill. He'd have been far less inconvenienced by the steady pace than most but is still getting better after 15 starts and sets the standard in the division, with stablemate Irish Point, runner-up in Tuesday's Champion Hurdle and also owned Robocur-owned, his biggest potential rival as things stand. Fresh for the time of year, Aintree, Punchestown and Auteuil will all be considered in the coming months.Racing Post

BRIGHTERDAYSAHEAD

I was in two minds whether to include Brighterdaysahead. The Dawn Run was run at a slow pace and although she shaped well she couldn’t pick up enough at the end. It did look a bit as though she didn’t relish the battle, but I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt and put it down to the slow pace and the shorter distance that did for her. Even so, she should have won this.

Brighterdaysahead down 4f in distance but already a 2m1f Grade 3 winner over hurdles, emerges best at the weights as she had a 5lb penalty, and she didn't have the race run to suit. Tasting defeat for the first time, she remains a top prospect but would need a strong pace if kept to this trip. The 2m4f Grade 1 for mares at Fairyhouse seems the most logical next step. Racing Post.

We didn't go much of a gallop and Brighterdaysahead was a bit keen with me. I had to try to get her settled, which wasn't ideal, and it just didn't really work out, but she ran a good race. I knew I needed a good jump at the last, and I got it, but I was just beaten by a better horse on the day. I still believe in her 100%. She's talented and she has a good future - Jack Kennedy, jockey.
    Last edited by barjon; 16th March 2024 at 4:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    This might be the right thread for Simon Rowlands's sectional analyses:

Days 1 & 2: Sectional Spotlight: Cheltenham Festival Old Course Review | At The Races

Days 3 & 4: Sectional Spotlight: Cheltenham Festival New Course Review | At The Races

Incidentally, I noticed Topspeed had a huge figure for GDC.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

barjon (16th March 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 924 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can’t disagree with his conclusions, desert.

….Galopin des Champs produced the performance of the week, on the clock as well as in terms of form, but very honourable mentions can be made of Ballyburn – the best Gallagher Novice Hurdle winner for many a year – and Majborough – the best, or close to the best, Triumph Hurdle winner in over a decade – among others……

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bringing Protektorat back from the dead was the training feat of the week.

Gaelic Warrior was the classiest performance of the week

Ballburn looks overrated to me I will be very surprised if he turns out to be anything special......the race was a dreadful affair and he' definitely no Faugheen.
    Last edited by Tanlic; 16th March 2024 at 7:13 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Team Skelton came of age this week.
    They are dual Festival Grade 1 winners who proved they can bring horses back year on year.
    Surely Cheveley Park, Munir and Suede among others will take note and subscribe .

Ben Pauling hit the board, nearly twice so is another who has a decent future.

Paul Townend has come a long , long way since the Al Boum Photo lapse of Punchestown 2018.

Breeders need take a long hard look at the list of Festival winning sires over the last few years.

The NH chase and Hunter's Chase should be confined to real amateurs, for the future of those who love the sport for sport sake.

Thanks
    HdB trained his fourth individual Champion Chase winner -and none of them cost a fortune.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Bringing Protektorat back from the dead was the training feat of the week.

Gaelic Warrior was the classiest performance of the week

Ballburn looks overrated to me I will be very surprised if he turns out to be anything special......the race was a dreadful affair and he' definitely no Faugheen.
    What do you think of Ballyburn destroying Slade Steel at Leopardstown and Slade Steel only running in the Supreme to avoid him.I thought his performance was good enough to merit a crack at the Champion Hurdle.

Thanks
    Gaelic warrior the highlight for me. Rich thinks he could be the most talented horse he's owned but a nutter. My kind of horse. Ballyburn awesome too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Slade Steel avoiding Ballyburn says more about Ballyburn's ability than anything he beat on Wednesday.
    The only possible spanner in the Ch/Gold Cup double bid is the possible Bartlett preference for steeplechasing; WPM has the opposite problem that Nicky has in trying to convince the owners to stay hurdling!
    Dan Moore apparently gave up the chance to train Hatton's Grace before he went to Churchtown.
    When asked if he regretted his decision he asked " And how many chases did he win ?"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

LUKE (17th March 2024)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    What do you think of Ballyburn destroying Slade Steel at Leopardstown and Slade Steel only running in the Supreme to avoid him.I thought his performance was good enough to merit a crack at the Champion Hurdle.

I think it was more a case of Ballyburn avoiding the Supreme opposition. He wouldn't have found Slade Steel who looks like he improved 7 lbs between races and the others so easy this time.

He wont go within a mile of the Champion Hurdle IMO that's a huge ask for what he won
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I think it was more a case of Ballyburn avoiding the Supreme opposition. He wouldn't have found Slade Steel who looks like he improved 7 lbs between races and the others so easy this time.

He wont go within a mile of the Champion Hurdle IMO that's a huge ask for what he won
    It is a fact that Slade Steel avoided Ballyburn.Slade Steel will go novice chasing next season because he isn't considered potential Champion Hurdler.In my opinion Ballyburn would have finished second at worst in the Champion Hurdle.The form of the race his win last week doesn't look great but Istabraq fell in against Mighty Moss ridden by Fred Hutsby and a Martin Pipe trained handicapper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts

one of us will be way off the mark here

But I think your reading the room wrong on this horse
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

15. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

LUKE (18th March 2024)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    In my opinion Ballyburn would have finished second at worst in the Champion Hurdle.
    Squeezed himself in between State Man and Irish Point?

I know where Lossie would have finished!

I think Ballyburn will be chasing next season.
    Last edited by Frankel; 18th March 2024 at 9:11 AM.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Ballyburn appeared even to surprise Willie with his performance.

"A Champion Hurdler" in Willie's own words, and he isn't one to describe his geese as swans.

I suspect Ballyburn might end up better than State Man.

Thanks
    For anyone interested in tickets for next years festival the early bird prices are up.

You can save up to 30% by purchasing now.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/fest...-adaGy4z1vZsr/
    Last edited by tiggers1972; 18th March 2024 at 2:21 PM.

Thanks
    This is behind the paywall at the RP site but it isn't hard to see where it's going...

'It was our quietest Cheltenham ever' - Irish travel agent says interest in the festival just wasn't there this year | Racing Post

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There you go.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (24th March 2024), Grasshopper (25th March 2024)

Thanks
    Using a travel agent to get to the festival from Ireland seems fairly quaint.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

tiggers1972 (24th March 2024)