Page 80 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980818283848590130 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 2649

Thread: TV coverage

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Non racing related, but does anyone know why, when I sit down to watch programmes these days, it is necessary for the cameraman to consistently shake or move the camera when filming static objects, or people speaking, up, down, often in diagonal directions? Since when do T.V producers, like the one producing Daily Politics this afternoon, think it's acceptable or good practice to do this?
    Could it just be poor equipment or inexperienced equipment operators? Can't say I've noticed it myself.

On a separate note, I mentioned it earlier on the thread but I have to repeat that the omission of the definite article and/or possessive adjective in racing programmes is really annoying the shite out of a classically educated old fart like me. Even ITV Racing has started doing it. Aaaarrrgghhhhh!!

So-and-so did not win 'on debut'; it won on his/her/its debut.

I can't help thinking someone has read Timeform racecard summaries and assumed the apocopated language sometimes used there is meant to be real prose and has decided to use it when working on TV,probably some clown like Nevison or Mellish, and others have thought, "Oh, that must be acceptable," and now all these useless TV fvckers are doing it.

It is fvcking driving me crazy.

It's like fvcking teenagers who think it's okay to use text language in class work.

Rant over.

For now.

(Apologies - I'm in great pain due to a foot problem.)
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 22nd January 2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Could it just be poor equipment or inexperienced equipment operators? Can't say I've noticed it myself.

On a separate note, I mentioned it earlier on the thread but I have to repeat that the omission of the definite article and/or possessive adjective in racing programmes is really annoying the shite out of a classically educated old fart like me. Even ITV Racing has started doing it. Aaaarrrgghhhhh!!

So-and-so did not win 'on debut'; it won on his/her/its debut.

I can't help thinking someone has read Timeform racecard summaries and assumed the apocopated language sometimes used there is meant to be real prose and has decided to use it when working on TV,probably some clown like Nevison or Mellish, and others have thought, "Oh, that must be acceptable," and now all these useless TV fvckers are doing it.

It is fvcking driving me crazy.

It's like fvcking teenagers who think it's okay to use text language in class work.

Rant over.

For now.

(Apologies - I'm in great pain due to a foot problem.)
    I get point.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Harry effin Redknapp on The Opening Show Saturday morning plus during the afternoon coverage from Cheltenham. ITV no doubt cashing in on his popularity on I'm A Celebrity pre Xmas but on a racing programme ?

Seriously ?

Thanks
    He’s quite knowledgeable about racing isn’t he? I wouldn’t be worrying just yet, he might be quite good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Harry effin Redknapp on The Opening Show Saturday morning plus during the afternoon coverage from Cheltenham. ITV no doubt cashing in on his popularity on I'm A Celebrity pre Xmas but on a racing programme ?

Seriously ?
    Does anyone look at this?

Not sure what channel, time or even guests there are on this.

If it's not 8am, they have lost me
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Does anyone look at this?

Not sure what channel, time or even guests there are on this.

If it's not 8am, they have lost me
    I usually have it on for background noise when I'm trawling the markets. Just in case somebody says something of note, which isn't very often.

Thanks
    Not racing related but probably not long before it is...

Twice in quick succession with the BBC News channel on in the background I've heard people start replying to questions with, "So...", and it's another thing that really gets on my tackitybits.

I should probably turn the TV off as I'm supposed to be monitoring my blood pressure (literally - with the machine etc) this week and this kind of manufactured verbal diarrhoea will do nothing to keep it lower.

When did it start and who started it?

I presume it started in America, where most shite of this nature starts, but is there nobody higher up in TV who can say to their presenters and reporters not to use this meaningless Americanism? (I love Americans, by the way.)

The day the racing presenters and reporters start using it is the day I stop watching racing on TV. The thought of Chapman and Harvey, who are both annoying beyond belief as it is, starting every other sentence with, "So...", will risk my TV suffering irreparable damage by means of my size sevens crashing through the screen.

Fvck. Where's that monitor...

Banned
    Thanks
    Our Harry owns horses .. i ve seen him at a few tracks over the years .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Not racing related but probably not long before it is...

Twice in quick succession with the BBC News channel on in the background I've heard people start replying to questions with, "So...", and it's another thing that really gets on my tackitybits.

I should probably turn the TV off as I'm supposed to be monitoring my blood pressure (literally - with the machine etc) this week and this kind of manufactured verbal diarrhoea will do nothing to keep it lower.

When did it start and who started it?

I presume it started in America, where most shite of this nature starts, but is there nobody higher up in TV who can say to their presenters and reporters not to use this meaningless Americanism? (I love Americans, by the way.)

The day the racing presenters and reporters start using it is the day I stop watching racing on TV. The thought of Chapman and Harvey, who are both annoying beyond belief as it is, starting every other sentence with, "So...", will risk my TV suffering irreparable damage by means of my size sevens crashing through the screen.

Fvck. Where's that monitor...
    So I'd have to say that I've started doing that recently - in my case as a result of working with Indians who say it quite frequently.

Thanks
    Donegal people like to add so at the end of sentences, so they do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    So I'd have to say that I've started doing that recently - in my case as a result of working with Indians who say it quite frequently.
    So, I'd also add that I find Indians often use more archaic terms and sentence structure than we would use ourselves when speaking English. It may be that this is influencing their use of the word so. It might also be bollocks jumping to erroneous conclusions on my part.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Donegal people like to add so at the end of sentences, so they do.
    'so doy do so' shurely?

PS: Any annoying linguistic development in the last two decades is 8/11 to have started with the sitcom 'Friends.' Possibly the most tweeingly annoying garbage ever to come before a camera.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Now, that is something that does fascinate me and it could be the explanation.

If, in translating from their native language(s) into English it works out as 'So...', at the start of an utterance (in the same way that we too are used to saying, "Well, ..."), it makes much more sense than the thought of some brainless redneck struggling to put a sentence together.

An, I agree about Friends. Total shite apart from the odd bit of eye candy. As time goes on I'm so glad Orchidette wasn't allowed to watch it until she was 18 and able to decide for herself what was appropriate content and what wasn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My cousin married a German gent who begins or ends every sentence with "for sure ".
    I had a neighbour who answered every statement with "For 't would " and knew of a man called "John Joe I do ", as "I do " was his catch phrase.
    Legend has it he married the first woman he met.
    Then there was the man known to all as "Gosh "
    None were of Indian extraction though a few were cowboys .

Thanks
    You can't blame Friends for 'like'. A girl at work uses it every other word, and she talks all day as she does no work. It drives me ABSOLUTELY INSANE.She has been off sick for the last 3 weeks with a cold, which is just as well, 'cos the week after Christmas she actually turned up in the office for 4 days, and I was very close to killing her.
    If anyone on the radio/tele starts I have to turn over/off. I cannot stand it. I mean, like, where the f did,like, that come from, like?

Thanks
    Have to admit it's the incorrect and constant use of literally that drives me insane - "I literally died" ahh no you didn't!

Thanks
    So, (sorry Des) we have a have a word at work which spread. Originally started by an ex miner a huge guy around 25 stone and probably a 30 stone personality we call Benny but his name is Simon he's been working there for 20 odd years and refers to everybody as a word which is rather hard to write the pronunciation of, its like a very strange pronunciation of the word "Water". Its a little crossed with "Warter" or more like "waater?" "Waar-ter". So Benny who is Simon would say "hows it going waarter" which then got shortened to just "waar-ter" as his greeting. People then started upon seeing Benny who is Simon greeting him with "hows it going fat waar-ter" which got shortened to "Fat Waater". So the greeting became Benny's thing a simple exchange of "Waar-ter" and "Fat Waart-er". Strange, but fine, and to hear Benny utter that is the most natural thing in the world as natural as anybody else just saying hello. I once asked him where it originated from and he said it was a miners thing or it may just have been something he'd picked up from that particular mine he was working in near Cannock Chase i can't recall.

The problem is over the years it spread and other people all started calling each other "waar-ter" some with even weirder pronunciations "werter" "Weerter" and god knows what else, the vast majority sounding completely bizarre and then when this week I had to walk into one of the office's and some young lad (he looked about 12) tried to refer to me as "waar-ter" with a pronunciation that even I feared to attempt to type I felt like asking him to "pick a window" as they say.

I was wondering if any of you lads from Mining backgrounds or family's who were miners had ever heard of the word I'm so badly attempting to put in to print ?
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    You can't blame Friends for 'like'. A girl at work uses it every other word, and she talks all day as she does no work. It drives me ABSOLUTELY INSANE.She has been off sick for the last 3 weeks with a cold, which is just as well, 'cos the week after Christmas she actually turned up in the office for 4 days, and I was very close to killing her.
    If anyone on the radio/tele starts I have to turn over/off. I cannot stand it. I mean, like, where the f did,like, that come from, like?
    Is there a difference between the American like and the Geordie type like or are both equally as horrifically unlikable, like.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Marb (25th January 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    'so doy do so' shurely?

PS: Any annoying linguistic development in the last two decades is 8/11 to have started with the sitcom 'Friends.' Possibly the most tweeingly annoying garbage ever to come before a camera.
    I also blame these motherf'ers for being charged a fiver for a coffee most places i go and having to go through what seems like refusing an entire shopping list of shizzle that they are trying to pollute my cup of pure black caffeine charged happiness with, no I don't want cream, or a shot , or whipped cream,toffee sauce, chocolate sprinkles, a camels testicle or a bunch of strawberries in it ...just coffee will be fine.
    Last edited by Danny; 25th January 2019 at 11:31 PM.