Page 69 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1959646566676869707172737479119 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2649

Thread: TV coverage

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Looks like Des Scahill won't be commentating for much longer

Would hope that anyone broadcasting Irish racing will make good use of Richard Pugh as a commentator
    Scahill seems to very much divide opinion but I like his distinctive style of commentary (and I know he is far from perfect these days). As well as that he has been the primary commentator in Ireland for virtually all of the time I've watched racing! Tony O'Hehir on RTE is absolutely dreadful.

Totally agree on Richard Pugh - the information he throws in mid race is class. He strikes me as somewhat of an Irish version of Richard Hoiles - absolute encyclopedia of knowledge.

I didn't mind the ITV coverage in Ascot (granger I'd be interested in your opinion as I'd say you were glued to it...). I listen to the Final Furlong podcast with Kennedy and I actually think he has a decent blend of racing knowledge and keeping people engaged having the craic - can understand why he's not everyone's cup of tea though. On the whole , I don't see ITV as any better or worse than C4 really though.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I probably won't renew my RUK subscription when it's over but that's due to other factors, the main one being that it's a data channel and I can't record it and it's also unreliable. But the race coverage and analysis are miles better.
    I don't get to watch RUK as much as I used to, but they seem to have changed their rota of presenters? They used to have Mellish or Freemantle on fairly regularly who are excellent, along with Neesom over the jumps (who seemed to be on studio duty during Ascot). Those three are absolutely top class but they seem to be on less frequently, and I'm not as convinced by some of the ones who seem to be on more and more lately (although I do like Chris Dixon). Could just be watching on the wrong days I suppose...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    RUK is OK but nowhere near as good as I was hoping when I took out the subscription.

Like I say, it's a data channel so I can't record it. The picture often freezes, including mid-race, which is a bit if a bastart if I've a bet on. It's also about 30 seconds behind 'live' TV (which isn't genuinely live). I've had the brother on the phone to discuss a result before I've finished watching the race while he's watching ITV.

Some of the analysts are interesting but the grammatical snob in me winces when I hear some of the things they say. And I hate hearing Newbury called 'Noobry'. That's pretty much enough for me to dismiss the views of the speaker.

On ITV yesterday the camera shots late in the Newcastle races were very unhelpful. In the good old days when the likes of Jo-Mell was winning regularly there there was an excellent camera angle allowing us to see nearly all the horses racing for the line. Yesterday the camera panned in on the front two and we never saw anything behind them until after the line. That's not good enough. The camera should be panning out. I thought Cosmelli and Euchan Glen were ten lengths clear of the field. It was only about three.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 1st July 2018 at 11:28 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Skysports racing now got Ascot from 2019.

Thanks
    Like I say, it's a data channel so I can't record it.
    Is there not an archive of race replays you can watch, like on ATR?

Thanks
    Yes, I can usually find a way of watching most archived races either via RUK, ATR or the Jockey Club site But I prefer watching them on TV from an armchair.

The websites are good for accessing when double-checking runs against race comments and reports.

Thanks
    Replays can be watched through Skybet account via SP website. I 'joined' it about 4/5 years ago when they were offering a free bet for the Grand National, spent an actual £5 on a bet and have been watching them since.

Thanks
    Yes, that's another I use as and when.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    ITV and Ascot at loggerheads it seems

https://www.racingpost.com/news/late...V%20punishment

Thanks
    Have used the sportinglife for video form for a good while now but getting increasingly frustrated that the RUK videos are available approximately 25% of the time when I try to access. I guess that its not just me that they aren't playing for but it has been going on for quite a while now. Not sure if there is a rights issue that needs resolving....for my viewing pleasure of course.

Thanks
    I think Hayley Moore is doing a great job on ATR-down to Earth, level headed and sees the big picture.

Thanks
    For what its worth. I'd agree. Comes across very well.

Thanks
    Hopefully when Sky take over from At The Races they introduce some new faces.

As standard of pundits and a lot of the presenters on the channel are awful

For example yesterday at Ffos Las Luke Harvey commented “There is no better jockey riding at the moment than Callum Shepherd “ . Really!
    Then Robert Cooper said after the first race at Newcastle “whatever happed to Instant Attraction, he was never sighted”

Err, he led a furlong out and finished a close up 4th....
    Last edited by PlaceBacker; 25th July 2018 at 10:02 PM.
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Bob Cooper should have been sacked years ago -I can remember a Saturday afternoon at Bath a few years ago and he very confidently called two photo finishes before the judge -on both occasions he was wrong which he seemed to think was a scream.I think the first rule of working in the racing media should be to treat punters with respect.

Thanks
    Big Bad Bob was doing Ffos Las tonight and was joking about having 30000 to win 10000 on the fav in the maiden -needless to say it was chinned.

Thanks
    In the space of 15 minutes ITV have come up with four different pronunciations of the name, not of a newly arrived apprentice, but of a senior jockey who happens to be topping the table in Britain this season. Frankly, that is disgraceful.

Admittedly there are two accepted ways of pronouncing it, but surely someone can ask Oisin Murphy which version of his name he favours?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    .......and what about that nonsense at the start of the programme?

Who was that supposed to appeal to?
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    See "Sky Sports Racing" have been advertising for new presenters...which could mean a few of the present ATR team are not going to be transferred over in 2019
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    See "Sky Sports Racing" have been advertising for new presenters...which could mean a few of the present ATR team are not going to be transferred over in 2019
    Can somebody let Slim know about this. He would add a slight smell of sulfur to proceedings.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He couldn't afford a job like that.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......