Thread: New Trainers

Thanks

New Trainers

I see both Tom Symonds and Fergal O'Brien among the winners at Ascot today. O'Brien has made a very good start to the season.

Thanks
    O'Brien has always been a good trainer of pointers - and having the likes of Bradley to go under rules with has certainly helped in addition to the backing of Chris Coley and co so it was good to see Fiddlers Bid win at Ascot today - particularly as they'd lost Ambrose Princess at Cheltenham last week.

Good young amateur jockeys like Conor Shoemark and Ally Stirling have helped matters too and they've both been on the mark with the enigmatic Dark Energy in recent weeks.

Would keep an eye on Jackie Du Plessis too who's based down in the SW, given the right ammo she can train winners also

Martin
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    This article by another up and coming trainer, Liz Doyle, appeared in yesterday's Irish Independent

Al Ferof's Cheltenham win puts yard in shop window

By Liz Doyle
    Friday November 23 2012

When you sell horses for big money, they have to do well – that's the bottom line. After Al Ferof won a good bumper for me at Fairyhouse this time three years ago, let's just say he was sold for a sum that reflected his potential.

A few months later, he finished second in the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham, he won the Supreme Novices' Hurdle a year later, and on Saturday he won the Paddy Power Gold Cup.
    They can't all do that, but it is so vital that they train on if an owner has put their neck on the line.

After Cheltenian left my yard two years ago, he won on his first start for Philip Hobbs and then won the Champion Bumper next time out – he kept improving.
    If they don't, not only does it not advertise that you produced the horse, it can have a negative effect. Buyers need to know that you have left something to work on.
    If an agent has success with a horse you nurtured, they will come back for more but, if they haven't been lucky, they won't put their hand up at the sales for one of yours. They would rather buy off someone else – it can be as simple and as silly as that.

Al Ferof's season tailed off last spring, but horses can take a bit of figuring out – even if you are Paul Nicholls. On Saturday, the soft ground was especially key, and horses by his sire Dom Alco seem best fresh. Who knows how far he will go now?
    When I had him, he was owned by Martin Murphy, an uncle of my other half, Barry, who is a son of Ferdy Murphy. He was the first horse that Martin ever owned.
    Ferdy actually looked at Al Ferof at the Brightwells Sale after he won his point-to-point. He was interested but felt he was a bit small – which he was at the time – so the horse was led out unsold at £62,000. Martin had a reserve of about £70,000 on him then, and I'm sure it's a day Ferdy regrets not handing a few quid to his brother!
    Anyway, everyone – including Ferdy – has been delighted to see how Al Ferof has showcased what we do here.

Michael, another Murphy brother, has a nursery with about 60 babies 25 minutes away from where I am based in Crossabeg, Co Wexford.
    He sources horses in Ireland and France, where the former jockey Guy Petit, who is married to Ferdy's daughter Caroline, does all the buying, mainly of foals and yearlings. They are raised at Michael's, and then I get a lot of them to train and sell.

Martin's current horse is Thekingofconnemara, which was meant to run at Cork on Sunday. We pulled him out because of all the rain that fell, but it was nice to meet up and have a drink and a chat about the previous afternoon's events.
    Thekingofconnemara was second on his debut at Cork last month, and should go close wherever he goes next. When people give you horses like that to develop, you must fulfil your brief with each individual, because you are running a business.

On the other hand, the competitive side of you wants to participate at the top level, and the hope would be that an organic consequence of our produce doing well will be that more owners leave horses here. Of the 30 we have now, half are here to stay.
    Penny's Bill, which gave us our biggest win in the Boylesports.com Hurdle in 2009, is still on the go, and Kauto Grand Mogol is one of the younger brigade that is not for sale.
    A half-brother to Kauto Star, he won a bumper at Limerick in March and is one we are really looking forward to running over hurdles in the next few weeks.

If Gowran Park beats the weather tomorrow, Reality Dose should go close for us in the Irish Racing Yearbook Chase, but the horse of ours to watch out for is a beautiful three-year-old by Martaline. Take note if he turns up in a bumper in the new year.

Thanks
    Thanks for that Grey.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, Grey.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Top post Grey.
    Reminds me of a local trainer who had a promising p2p horse for sale.
    He had a top NH trainer calling so had the place spic and span, the best of hay and oats in the feed pot etc.
    Visitor called; looked into the feed trough and duly left without purchasing.
    Lesson learned by the local.
    Many yrs previously on a stable visit at the late Paddy Mullins he commented on how some of his charges were sold onto UK but "never seemed to do much".I wonder why??!

Thanks
    Dan Skelton is to leave Paul Nicholls at the end of the season and set up his own base in Warwickshire.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Big loss for PN this
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Setting up at his parents farm - a friend's pointed out to me that it would be no surprise if he had some serious support from the Hales' as I think that John Hales owned his Dad's top SJer Arko.

Martin
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Big loss for PN this
    Tom Jonason, who has been pupil assistant trainer for three years, will shadow Dan until May and will take over his position at Ditcheat full-time at that stage.

Dan won't have horses out until October at least as he has to obtain his trainers license first. Although they have permission for a 6 1/2f all weather gallop they don't have any boxes yet, although they are hoping to build 37 I believe.

PN started out with only eight horses and Dan will probably start off with about the same.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    How good has Olly Murphy been since he started

When they talk of trainers been great trainers of trainers - Gordon looks to have imparted some wisom on Olly and Gavin Cromwell
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    https://www.britishhorseracing.com/r...s/#!?type=jump

Was surprised to see exactly how many winners Skelton has managed to obtain this term. I ha thought that Fry might of made the bigger impact of the 2 of them

Thanks
    2 video interviews

Brian O'Connell's new yard and gallops - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Hx...ature=youtu.be

Colm Murphy on his return to training - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ws3...ature=youtu.be

Thanks
    an old thread but a mention for Emmet Mullins who is proving himself to be a quite capable young trainer

Thanks
    How many winners will Harry Derham get in the season ahead?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When I saw the title I thought the discussion would be about me recently purchased Nike Air Zoom Alphaflys.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Fit right in with the Bohs massive