Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Cheltenham Festival Preview nights

Thanks

Thanks
    Know what you mean,but he`s given me some decent griff over the years. War of Attrition springs to mind

Thanks
    Re: Shop DJ - Granted he said she can’t beat Quevega, but said she’s an ew bet at a huge price. He seemed genuinely very confident on this one
    Connections were driving around Dublin last week hoovering up any big prices they could find. I don't see it myself, but there is serious confidence behind this horse.

Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/user/betBoylesports

Boylesports have put up their preview evening from Leopardstown in handy race by race snippets on Youtube.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 9th March 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks
    Million In Mind Cheltenham Preview

Date: Sunday 26th February 2012

Venue: Ditcheat Village Hall, Ditcheat, Somerset.

Panel: Anthony Bromley, David Minton (Highflyer Bloodstock) & Paul Nicholls.

Day 1 - Tuesday

SUPREME NOVICE HURDLE

PN: HINTERLAND is entered in the Fred Winter, for which he would more than likely carry top weight and Harry Derham may well ride. However, his owners are keen to run in the Supreme. He is better than he showed at Cheltenham last time having got stuck in behind horses after the second last.
    AB: MONTBAZON is Alan King’s number one and I feel he has a very good chance. Decent ground would suit him.
    DM: My two against the field would be TETLAMI, who Nicky (Henderson) likes a lot, and MONTBAZON.

ARKLE TROPHY

PN: Sprinter Sacre tends to race very freely and I am hoping he may run himself into the ground. He is undoubtedly the one to beat if he settles but he may prefer a flat track. AL FEROF jumps very well and he will be staying on strongly at the finish. I hope he can outstay Sprinter Sacre.
    DM: A.P. (McCoy) got off SPRINTER SACRE in last year’s Supreme NH and said he had an issue with his wind. That has been rectified and he is the one to beat. We are hoping Cue Card makes the running because that will be perfect for Sprinter Sacre.

CHAMPION HURDLE

PN: I am likely to run four (Brampour, Celestial Halo, Rock on Ruby & Zarkandar). I think Rock On Ruby is overpriced, especially as Cheltenham will suit him more than Kempton. He had a racecourse gallop at Wincanton (20th February) and went very well. However, my number one contender is ZARKANDAR.
    AB: I am keen to take Hurricane Fly on and, I feel he could be vulnerable if the likes of Celestial Halo and Overturn ensure there is a strong gallop. There is loads of improvement in ZARKANDAR because he wasn’t at his best at Newbury and yet he still won.
    DM: The wind operation has made a big difference to Binocular and I am expecting him to run very well. However, I fear he will have his work cut out to beat HURRICANE FLY.

Day 2 – Wednesday

NEPTUNE INVESTMENTS NOVICE HURDLE

PN: I won’t have a runner in this but Ruby (Walsh) is very keen on BOSTON BOB.
    DM: Nicky (Henderson) is particularly sweet on SIMONSIG and feels he is one of his best chances of the whole week. I think BATONNIER will finish in the first four and I also like MAKE YOUR MARK, who I tried to buy and loved at the sales.

RSA CHASE

AB: Join Together looks fantastic and he should run well but, if GRANDS CRUS turns, up, he wins.
    DM: Nicky was amazed by Bobs Worth’s run in the Reynoldstown at Ascot because he thought he would need it following his breathing operation. He should run well but I like INVICTUS and FIRST LIEUTENANT. The latter appears to have been trained for the race all season.

QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE

PN: I am going to run KAUTO STONE. He was very free at Ascot last time and I think he will benefit from dropping back in trip. The likely strong pace will suit him and he could run well.
    AB: I think SIZING EUROPE is the banker of the meeting. Lump on.
    DM: I suspect they are going to ride Big Zeb slightly differently but SIZING EUROPE is the horse to beat.

FRED WINTER JUVENILE HURDLE

PN: It is possible Hinterland will run but I like ULCK DU LIN, who I feel is well treated off 130. I have purposely not run him since he arrived from France because I wanted to protect his mark. He did a very good piece of work at Wincanton with Rock On Ruby (20th February) and he is in the same mould as Sanctuaire who won this for us a couple of years ago.
    AB: Alan King felt VENDOR was going to be his number one for the Triumph Hurdle before Christmas so he must be well handicapped off 129. He hasn’t run him since his win at Newbury in case his rating went up.

BUMPER

PN: I think ROYAL GUARDSMAN is the one to beat. He beat one of ours (Atlantic Roller) who I rate highly at Ascot, and the stable won the race a few years ago with Cue Card so they know what it takes.
    AB: John Ferguson has had a very good season and NEW YEAR’S EVE looks as though he has been trained for the race.

Day 3 – Thursday

RYANAIR CHASE

PN: Poquelin runs and he has an each-way chance having run well twice in the race in the past. I think SOMERSBY will run well.
    AB: Rubi Light must be respected having finished third in the race last year but he may need soft ground. I think Somersby is a stone better horse at Ascot than anywhere else and I am not convinced the track will be ideal for Riverside Theatre. MEDERMIT would have a good each-way chance but his owners are favouring running in the Gold Cup. I think NOBLE PRINCE will go close because previous Festival and course form is very important.
    DM: I like NOBLE PRINCE and RIVERSIDE THEATRE.

WORLD HURDLE

PN: BIG BUCK’S looked great and I couldn’t be happier with his preparation. However, I have followed Oscar Whisky’s career throughout and he is a very good horse. He has got speed and class and is a big danger.

Day 4 – Friday

TRIUMPH HURDLE

PN: Ranjaan is improving all the time but PEARL SWAN is my number one. I think it is between him and Grumeti and there is obviously very little between the pair but my horse has improved a lot since his last run at Cheltenham. Don’t discount DODGING BULLETS though. Quite hot headed when he arrived from Ireland, he hasn’t been the easiest to train but there is a lot of improvement in him. I was delighted with his run in the Dovecote Novice Hurdle at Kempton behind Grumeti and he isn’t that far behind Pearl Swan, judged on their homework. He is an interesting contender.
    AB: I don’t think the Irish juveniles are as strong this year. PEARL SWAN has a good turn of foot and Alan King is adamant GRUMETI is his number one. BALDER SUCCES shouldn’t be underestimated even though he may be the apparent ‘second string.’ He would prefer some cut in the ground though.
    DM: I like BALDER SUCCES who has looked very impressive, especially at Ascot last time.

GOLD CUP

PN: KAUTO STAR has looked as good as ever this season and goes there with a leading chance. I am not convinced Long Run has trained on this season and, while Burton Port ran very well in the Denman Chase, he had been off for a long time and I am sure Nicky would have had him pretty straight that day. I am not sure he will be able to repeat it second time back.
    AB: I wasn’t disappointed with LONG RUN at Newbury. The longer trip will suit him at Cheltenham because he was outspeeded at both Haydock and Kempton. Burton Port had been working the house down before he ran at Newbury so it was a very good performance by Long Run to concede ten pounds.

FOXHUNTERS’

PN: CHAPOTURGEON has had a lot of problems since winning the Jewson Novice Chase at the Festival in 2009. He qualified for the Foxhunters after winning impressively at Newbury and then following up in a point-to-point last time. Richard Barber’s grandson Jack rides him very well and, if he gets good ground, he will have a massive chance. A lot of people have suggested he won’t stay but he has never run beyond two miles six. I don’t think he will have a problem with the trip. The ground is the key to him.
    DM: MONTERKY TUNKERTY was impressive when winning at Warwick and I think he is a very interesting runner.

FESTIVAL HANDICAPPERS TO FOLLOW

Paul Nicholls:

SONOFVIC – Pertemps Final (Thursday) – He has been saved for this once we decided to go back over hurdles. He will love the decent ground and I think he is well handicapped.

TED SPREAD – Imperial Cup at Sandown (Saturday 10th), County Hurdle & Martin Pipe HH (Friday) – he reminds me a lot of Desert Quest, who won the County Hurdle in 2006. A strong traveller, he wants good ground and he is on a nice mark. This has been the plan since winning at Taunton last time.

ULCK DU LIN – Fred Winter Juvenile Hurdle (Tuesday) – see earlier notes.

Anthony Bromley:

MOLOTOF – Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle (Friday) – he has won three out of three this season including a Grade 2 novice hurdle at Ascot last time. Rated 145, he will run off 11st 12lb but it will be narrow weight band.

David Minton:

OPEN HEARTED – Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle (Friday) – A progressive horse, he has won four out of five with his only defeat coming at Uttoxeter when he fell on his hurdles debut. He goes there with a good each-way chance.

Before the Preview, Paul Nicholls gave his thoughts on the following during the parade of his stars:

AL FEROF (Arkle Trophy): “He won the Supreme Novice Hurdle last year and, having been flat out all the way, he flew up the hill and I am hoping he will do the same in the Arkle this time. He has had a good year winning twice before finishing third in the Victor Chandler Chase at Ascot. The experience he gained there will stand him in good stead. He has improved a lot since then and it is all about jumping at speed in the Arkle. To win an Arkle, you need a horse who stays two and a half miles and he will be running on strongly up the hill again. Sprinter Sacre will be difficult to beat but our horse is not without a chance.”

BIG BUCK’S (World Hurdle): “Once again, he has had a great season winning all three of his starts and his winning run has stretched to 15 races. Even though he won the Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham in January, I don’t think he was at his very best because there were a few horses in the yard under the weather at the time. However, he has bloomed since and looks much better in his coat. As he has got older, he has needed more work to get fit but he goes there with an outstanding chance. I have great respect for Oscar Whisky though and I fear he could be his toughest opponent to date. He has loads of speed but Big Buck’s forte is his stamina and we will ensure it is a thorough test.”

BRAMPOUR (Champion Hurdle): “He goes for the Champion Hurdle and will be ridden by Harry Derham, who has done such a good job on him this season. He always worked very well at home last year but disappointed on the track. However, he had a wind operation and the summer off and he came back a different horse. Successful in a Listed Handicap at Ascot, he then won the Greatwood Hurdle at Cheltenham in November. Seventh in the Betfair Hurdle at Newbury last time, he wasn’t beaten far and certainly didn’t have a hard race. The way the Champion Hurdle will be run will suit him and he could grab a place. Decent ground will be ideal for him.”

CRISTAL BONUS (Jewson Novice Chase): “A very decent horse who Anthony Bromley tried to buy in the past. Fortunately, he ended up here anyway after Mr Geffen bought him and we gave him a good break. He made a noise when we started working him so he underwent a breathing operation in September. Twice a winner over fences, he jumped brilliantly at Chepstow and then won the Pendil Novice Chase at Kempton. He jumped to his right that day and will be much better going left-handed at Cheltenham. We intended running him in the rescheduled Scilly Isles Novice Chase at Newbury but he had an infection in his near hind leg. Then, the weekend before the Pendil, he worked brilliantly on the Saturday but was hopping lame afterwards. Thankfully, by the Tuesday he was fine and the rest is history. I think he will be a smart horse over three miles next season but I am expecting him to run very well in the Jewson. All being well, he will run at Aintree after that.”

HARRY THE VIKING (National Hunt Chase): “Unbeaten in four runs this season, two of which have been over hurdles and two over fences, he runs in the four mile chase and will be ridden by Will Biddick. I have liked him ever since he won a maiden point-to-point and he does stay particularly well. We have purposely kept him fresh since his last run at Doncaster and I think he has a leading chance at the Festival. A laid back individual, I have been very pleased with his preparation.”

JOIN TOGETHER (RSA Chase): “He goes for the RSA Chase and we have purposely kept him fresh because he goes well after a break. Unlucky when falling on his chasing debut at Chepstow, he won his next couple of starts at Cheltenham. He is a very good jumper and he stays well and I think he will be an awesome horse for the good staying chases next season. In an ideal world, he would have preferred it if the race had been run on the New course at Cheltenham because it places more emphasis on stamina. Having said that, I think the ground will be slower on the Old course, which will be in his favour. We had considered aiming him at the four miler but he is better than that and deserves a crack at the RSA Chase. I think he will run very well.

KAUTO STAR (Gold Cup): “He looks stunning and you wouldn’t know he was a twelve year old. When he came back into work in July, he looked in great shape and he appears a better horse this season than last. Last year, he had a few minor issues making a noise and little bleeds but this season everything has gone to plan winning the Betfair Chase at Haydock and then following up in the King George. Ruby (Walsh) said he showed a tremendous turn of foot at Kempton and Long Run couldn’t go with him. He then idled in front. I think he goes to Cheltenham with a big chance and I couldn’t be happier with him. The fact Denman isn’t running is an advantage to him because Denman always ensured it was a proper stamina test. I hope he gets decent ground.” Please note: Kauto Star fell whilst schooling and his participation has, at the time of writing, yet to be confirmed.

PEARL SWAN (Triumph Hurdle): “Despite the fact there is very little between him, Grumeti and Baby Mix, I feel he should be favourite for the Triumph Hurdle. Anthony Bromley bought him in November and he won nicely on his debut at Taunton. We then ran him in the Finesse Hurdle at Cheltenham and I told Ruby (Walsh) to take his time and see how the race developed. If he finished fourth or fifth then we would have prepared him for the Fred Winter at the Festival but he took off after the second last and stormed up the hill. Unfortunately, he lost the race in the stewards’ room but we knew there was a lot of improvement to come. We can improve his jumping and I think he is a really nice horse. I asked Ruby which was the best juvenile on either side of the Irish Sea and he said Pearl Swan. I think he has got a very good chance.”

POQUELIN (Ryanair or Gold Cup): “He has become harder to train as he has got older. Disappointing in the Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby on his reappearance, he stayed overnight and I don’t think it suited him because he was sick afterwards. He ran much better at Cheltenham last time in a competitive handicap under top weight finishing second. That run has put him spot on and, all being well, he will run in the Ryanair Chase for a third time. We have given him an entry in the Gold Cup as well but he is only likely to run in that if something happened to one of the principals and if the ground turned up very quick.”

PROSPECT WELLS (Supreme Novice Hurdle): “He goes for the Supreme NH and he has taken well to jumping winning at Chepstow and Newbury and finishing a close second in the Graded novice at the Paddy Power meeting. Things have unfortunately gone wrong since because we ran him back too quick in the Ladbroke Hurdle at Ascot even though he finished fourth. He then ran no sort of race in the Tolworth Hurdle on heavy ground but he was found to have a trapped epiglottis, which basically meant he couldn’t breathe. A vet from Ireland sorted him out and, within ten days, he was back in work and his breathing has improved a lot since. He is the forgotten horse of the race and, if he encounters his favoured good ground, he could run very well.”

ROCKY CREEK (Albert Bartlett NH): “A full brother to the ill-fated Tell Massini, he is a great big strong chasing type who will be very much one to follow over fences next season. Paul Barber saw him win his Irish point to point and liked him. He wasn’t fully wound up when finishing second on his Rules debut at Exeter but hasn’t stopped improving since winning in good style at Doncaster in a Grade 2 NH. Although he lacks a bit of experience, I think he has a leading chance in the Albert Bartlett Novice Hurdle.”

Interestingly, Rocky Creek is positioned in one of the boxes at the top end of the yard adjacent to Denman and Kauto Star suggesting he is held in the highest regard at Ditcheat.

ZARKANDAR (Champion Hurdle): “Unbeaten in four starts over hurdles, it was a very good performance to win the Betfair Hurdle at Newbury on his reappearance. A few horses in the yard were coughing at the time and he had a dirty nose the day after his win. He had a dose of antibiotics and is back in full work now. Improving day by day, he has made a rapid progress and I feel he is a live danger to Hurricane Fly. Ruby (Walsh) felt he hit the front too soon at Newbury and he will be at his best in a strongly run race galloping up that hill.”

DENMAN’s tendon problem had heeled up and he is likely to go out into a field during the summer, all being well, with MASTER MINDED. In great form at home, he will start doing plenty of walking after Cheltenham.
    Last edited by jft2005; 9th March 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    For those of you that can't make it I'll be live blogging the Official Cheltenham Festival Preview from Cheltenham Racecourse as usual on jpfestival.com. Starts at 7pm on Sunday. In the meantime you might want to check out the preview videos I produced (and sponsored!) on YouTube...search jpfestival. Hope you like them.

Thanks
    West Midlands Racing Club Preview Night
    A very familiar panel for the West Midlands Racing Club was hosted by author Chris Pitt (CP). He was joined by Racing UK presenters Lydia Hislop (LH) & Stewart Machin (SM1), journalist and tipster Sam Turner (ST) as well as the face of Betfair Tony Calvin (TC). The extremely knowledgeable panel was completed by Steve Melish (SM1), a regular guest on Racing UK. A packed room was accompanied by a brilliant atmosphere ahead of a great night of Cheltenham previewing.

Supreme Novices
    LH: I’m against Darlan; he appears to be to be a flat track horse. His worst performance came at Cheltenham, he will travel well but when it comes to it I doubt he will find a great deal. It’s a very open race though; both Galileo’s Choice and Midnight Game are interesting contenders and appear to be overpriced. Steps to Freedom will like the ground and Cinders And Ashes looks a very solid horse. The most overpriced horse in the race has to be Molotof, who looks like he’s been overlooked. It’s a very tough race to call but for me I would have to go with Galileo’s Choice and Midnight Game.
    SM2: Montbazon is a very progressive horse, and he really impressed me with his win at Newbury. You need a low 150s or a high 140s type to win this so something will have to improve to win and I feel that Montbazon is the one to do this.
    SM1: I am also against Darlan; the second-last flight at Newbury is still a very long way away from the line so nobody knows if he would have won or not. I think Galileo’s Choice is a very intriguing contender but Cinders And Ashes is the one for me. He was weak at four and ran a great race in the Bumper and he has improved a lot since then. He will revel in the better ground and I just feel he is a brilliant horse.
    TC: I haven’t had many bets at the Festival over the years but the one I keep backing this year is Prospect Wells. Yes, he ran badly at Sandown but since then he has had a specialist operation and the yard are really happy with him now. Paul Nicholls has said he will run here and he looks a massive price if you look at his form with Steps To Freedom. When he was beat that day it was around the time the new whip laws had been introduced and Daryl Jacob froze as he didn’t know how many times he had hit the horse. If you take that into consideration that he most probably would have beat Steps To Freedom and he definitely wouldn’t be the price he is now.
    ST: I feel that Darlan is a false favourite, his form isn’t strong and in this wide open race he is definitely not for me. I really like Motbazon, he is a very lazy horse and they are only just getting the hang of riding him and he would stand a great chance. Tetlami appears to be a bit of an unsung hero, he is a very useful horse and he is crazily overpriced at the moment so I would go with those two.

Arkle
    We were joined at this point by special guest John Hales (JH), owner of Al Ferof, who gave us a very interesting insight into his horse’s chance.
    JH: This could be the last time we see him over two miles, Ruby got off him and said roll on the King George, with the plan to go for the Gold Cup next year. I was told two interesting facts the other day which would make you think twice about siding with Sprinter Sacre this year. Firstly Al Ferof won the Supreme in a quicker time than Hurricane Fly won the Champion Hurdle. Secondly that jumping the last fence last year we gave Sprinter Sacre a 4½ length lead and beat him by 5 lengths, from the last fence to the line we beat him by 10 lengths and at Cheltenham that is where the race will be won and lost. He is in great form and we are really hopeful that he will win again at the Festival.
    ST: I hate to disagree with JH but I think Sprinter Sacre (SS) will win the race, he looks an exceptional horse and if Barry Geraghty thinks he is the best he has sat on since Moscow Flyer you really need to sit up and take note.
    SM1: I think the value has gone in the race, short priced favourites don’t do well in the Arkle but this may be different. Barry doesn’t think there will be any problem with SS going up the hill, but I do think there are real dangers. Al Ferof’s form is rock solid; Menorah may jump better and run well. I don’t like Cue Card’s chances; it’s very difficult to win an Arkle from the front.
    TC: There is no depth in the race, SS and Al Ferof are both top class horses but if I had to choose I would go with Al Ferof.
    LH: SS has been very impressive on the clock, but he has never jumped under pressure unlike Al Ferof. SS didn’t find much in the Supreme and I think the same could happen again. so it’s Al Ferof for me.

Champion Hurdle
    TC: I think Hurricane Fly will win this again, I don’t really think there is anything against him this year. Brampour has been very over-looked; he had a setback before the Betfair Hurdle, in which he sat out the back and giving Zarkandar 11lb was only beaten 9 lengths. At a huge price he is a great each-way shout.
    LH: I don’t think Binocular’s run was as impressive as people thought so I think Hurricane Fly will win the race again. It will be interesting to see him run in a race with a stronger pace that Overturn will create. If there is a strong pace then Rock On Ruby, who is very unexposed, may have a chance of improving and running a very big race. Saying this though I think the market without Hurricane Fly is where we need to look, and 11/1 for the ultra consistent Thousand Stars, who finished fourth in the race last year, seems overpriced for this market for sure.
    SM2: I also like Brampour’s chances of getting a place but Hurricane Fly is a banker here.
    ST: Hurricane is pretty much impregnable, it will be interesting if there is a strong pace but I still think he wins. As LH said I think Thousand Stars is a ridiculous price without the Fly.
    SM1: Hurricane Fly is a very solid horse, probably the most likely winner of the returning champions. Overturn worked exceptionally well the other day and the yard is very bullish about his chances of getting in the frame.

Neptune
    SM2: Simonsig has the best form in Britain without Fingal Bay; he probably didn’t like the ground when he got beaten and he is easily the best in the race.
    TC: At 11/4 Simonsig looks a bit obvious but there isn’t a lot of depth in the race. I think he is a very good horse but I do have a slight doubt about him staying.
    ST: Simonsig had a bad trach wash after Sandown and if Boston Bob goes in the other race as is expected then he will stand a great chance. Saying this though Batonnier is the best value, he is an out and out stayer and I think he may just catch out the flashy Simonsig.
    SM1: I also like Battonier but think he may not be good enough to beat Simonsig. I also like the outsider Cotton Mill who should have a great chance of getting in the frame.

RSA Chase
    SM1: Grands Crus running in this race will depend on Kauto Star lining up or not in the Gold Cup, but if I had the choice then I would run him in this. I think he doesn’t have a lot to beat in this especially after Bobs Worth’s tough race last time out. I think Grands Crus should win this quite comfortably.
    ST: Bobs Worth is the type of horse to win this race; he should grind away along with Join Together who I think will both be in the mix.
    TC: Join Together has come into the race very underrated and at 8/1 he has a very solid chance.
    LH: I think Grands Crus should run here, as I don’t think the Gold Cup distance will suit him as well as this. I like the chances of Bobs Worth, Join Together & First Lieutenant but I think Sirs Des Champs could be a very good horse, the distance may suit him better and I think if he runs he would cause Grands Crus a lot of problems.
    SM2: I am also a fan of Join Together and at 8/1 I agree he is a massive price.

Champion Chase
    LH: Sizing Europe (SE) is better than Big Zeb by a fair way now and should win this comfortably. Finian’s Rainbow is a big place player but I like Kauto Stone to grab a place at a big price.
    SM1 & TC: Both agreed that SE would win and Kauto Stone is a big price to get into the frame.
    ST: At 50/1 I’m So Lucky may be able to fluke a place.

Jewson
    ST: Peddlers Cross hasn’t had an ideal preparation so I would side with Champion Court who has excellent Cheltenham form and would have a great chance.
    TC: Peddlers Cross has had very little schooling since Kempton, but they were very happy with his last piece of work. I don’t really have an opinion on the race but Crystal Bonus and For Non Stop have very solid form.
    SM1: I couldn’t be backing Peddlers Cross. Donald McCain didn’t seem that upbeat about him at another Preview Night, and I think if it wasn’t Cheltenham he wouldn’t run.
    SM2: Crystal Bonus is definitely the one to take on Peddlers with.
    LH: Peddlers is obviously a very talented horse but with all the uncertainty around him I like the chances of Champion Court.

Ryanair
    SM2: This is a much stronger race than in the past, and I like the chances of both Riverside Theatre and Somersby. I think that there is very little evidence in the argument that Riverside Theatre won’t run well at Cheltenham and he is a top class horse so he is the one for me.
    LH: If Quel Esprit ran in this then I think he would stand a great chance.
    SM1: Noble Price hasn’t run badly this season and should love the conditions coming into Cheltenham.
    ST: I can’t be having Riverside Theatre and I would take him on with Noble Price, who won at Cheltenham last year, he has had a tiny procedure to tidy up his wind and he looks like he has been trained this season for this race and this race alone.

World Hurdle
    ST: It’s impossible to oppose Big Bucks (BB), Oscar Whiskey is one of the highest class of horses to take on BB but I think the market without him is the one to be looking at. Dynaste has great form against him and at 5/1 he looks a cracking price.
    TC: Oscar Whisky is the only horse who has a chance of beating him, but if BB runs to form then Oscar Whisky will have to be the best staying hurdler for around 40 years.
    LH: Without BB Dynaste at 6/1 and So Young at 8/1 look very interesting to me.
    SM2: I don’t think Oscar Whisky will stay but he is the only real class against him.

Triumph
    SM1: I would like Sadler’s Risk’s chances of reversing the form with Baby Mix, who I think has a quirk in him. Balder Succes is the other one that would appeal at the prices.
    TC: Paul Nicholls has said that Zarkandar and Pearl Swan schooled really well yesterday. Pearl Swan was giving weight to Grumeti last time and has a real chance of reversing that form on Friday.
    ST: I am also in the Pearl Swan camp, he looked very green last time out and at around 8/1 he looks a great price.
    SM2: Urbain De Sivola, who beat Ranjaan comprehensively, looks a big price at 16’s. At the top of the market both myself and LH agree that Sadler’s Risk will love going left-handed and the extra distance and is in with a massive chance.

Gold Cup
    LH: I think Long Run has been over-rated but the track definitely suits him more than Kauto Star. I really like Burton Port, I worry about the bounce factor but if he doesn’t then he will have a great chance.
    SM2: Long Run isn’t as far ahead of the others as the prices would suggest. Burton Port should run a big race and Grands Crus would be very intriguing if he runs but I would have stamina doubts.
    SM1: What A Friend has every right to run a big race once again and get into the places.
    TC: I think one of the top two in the market will win the race, back them both and sit back and enjoy.
    ST: Long Run has rather levelled out a bit, he did everything right at Newbury and only won by ½ a length. I think that Sam on board is an accident waiting to happen. Weird Al without the front two is a big price at 6/1 as well but I have also been speak to Burton Port’s work rider and he is pretty confident that the horse wont bounce and should run another huge race.

Lay and Bet of the Festival
    The Panel were then asked for their lay of the meeting, as well as their bet of the meeting with TC kindly offering a £25 charity bet with Betfair.

Bet :
    LH: Betting without Hurricane Fly – Thousand Stars
    SM2: Urbain De Sivola in the Triumph
    SM1: Shot From The Hip
    TC: Prospect Wells
    ST: Battonier in the Supreme

Lay:
    SM2: Long Run
    SM1: Baby Mix
    ST: Cue Card for a place
    LH: Betting without Big Bucks – Oscar Whiskey
    If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.

Thanks
    CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PREVIEW at KNARESBOROUGH
    Sponsored by Sky Bet

Thursday, March 8th

The same panel as last year were invited back namely Channel 4 Racing’s Jim McGrath (JM), Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide author Paul Jones (PJ), Nick Robson (NR) (aka The Fox) of Racing Plus Newspaper and Sky Bet’s Michael Shinners (MS). All 27 races were discussed.

For the latest prices please click on the Sky Bet banners.

SUPREME NOVICES’ HURDLE
    JM: I was credited with tipping Darlan at an Irish preview but that is incorrect. Tetlami is narrowly top rated but not so with Timeform who have rated Darlan as if he would have gone very close at Newbury but it was a muddling heat. I’d split stakes between Steps To Freedom and Galileo’s Choice with a preference for the former.
    PJ: Shame Simonsig is not running as he would have been my pick. In his place I like Midnight Game best who looks to be improving at the right time and you have to respect Willie Mullins’ number one 2m novice hurdler. Darlan strikes me as being very much under-priced.
    NR: I have backed Montbazon but am losing confidence in him after King said he might not be quite good enough. Cinders And Ashes is the other horse I’ve backed and he is a much stronger horse this year so can finish off his race better than in the Bumper here last season. Darlan is a poor price after such a bad fall.
    MS: Sky Bet are betting the first five paces on this race so come to us if you want an each-way bet. It’s not a secret that J P McManus fancies Darlan so he is likely to get shorter still but I would still worry what he would find up the hill. Paddy Brennan is very bullish about Vulcanite.

ARKLE TROPHY
    JM: I am not knocking Sprinter Sacre but 8/11 is short when he has a very worthy opponent in Al Ferof who is not too far behind on figures and he could have been one of the Nicholls horses off colour when he was third atAscot. Cue Card makes too many mistakes, even when he won at Newbury last time out. If you gave me a free bet I would back Al Ferof as his price is marginally bigger than I think it should be.
    PJ: I can’t really see angle into having a bet here and now as the only way I see Sprinter Sacre not winning is by being too brave at a fence. The hill argument is a complete red herring, it’s a shorter race than the Supreme for starters and he was only a shell of a horse last year. Al Ferof was flat out according to Walsh in the Supreme over 2m½f and again in the Victor Chandler over 2m1f so I suspect he will be again here over 2m and the bird may well have flown by the time his stamina kicks in.
    NR: A mistake is the only potential downfall that can stop Sprinter Sacre. Blackstairmountain strikes me as the each-way value and top of the ground will suit if that is the case. He is the only potentially overpriced horse.
    MS: There is bound to be a price war so it is likely Sprinter Sacre will touch Evens somewhere at some point but I can’t oppose him.

JLT SPECIALTY HANDICAP CHASE
    JM: I think Quantitativeeasing will run very well. He was my original fancy and although I am a bit alarmed he is now top weight I will stick with him. His win here in December is working out very well. He has earned his weight rise. Tullamore Dew is another I respect as he is in form and has twice placed in Festival handicaps before.
    PJ: I have recently come round to thinking Our Mick is the bet. I do like novices in this race and fancy he is the best of those and is open to improvement upped in trip and he just keeps finding. Riguez Dancer is my idea of the best long shot if he squeezes in for Ferdy Murphy and hisDoncasterrun two starts back was eye-catching. I hear Hold On Julio is still not pleasing King and he works on Saturday and then a decision will be taken if he runs or not. If Quantitativeeasing wins off 155, he will be the first winner in over 30 years to be rated over 150 so he isn’t for me. He would probably have to run to 162 or better to win I would have thought and I just don’t think he is that good.
    NR: I couldn’t have Quantitativeeasing off top weight. Hold On Julio clouted a fence or two at Sandown and had a couple of setbacks so it’s Our Mick for me who is crying out for 3m and novices have a good record in the race.
    MS: We’re keen on Quantitativeeasing and trying to keep out of the way of him. There will be a price war on the day on the race for sure.

CHAMPION HURDLE
    JM: Hurricane Fly has won ten Grade 1s and was only ridden to win last year’s race rather than to run away with it so I am not worried he didn’t win by far. Zarkandar is the least exposed runner in the field and I thought he did well to win at Newbury and won smug in the end. If Hurricane Fly is to be beaten, then I can only see Zarkandar doing so.
    PJ: I’m not opposing Hurricane Fly. I like both Overturn and Thousand Stars in the without Hurricane Fly market. Overturn as he is massively overpriced in this market given he is joint top rated with Binocular if you take out the favourite which of course you can for this market and he worked very well last week. Thousand Stars also as I can see him being ridden to finish second like Theatreworld was three times behind his stablemate, Istabraq. Both strike me as good each-way bets without the favourite.
    NR: Hurricane Fly should win of course but Binocular has the class to put it up to him though I feel Rock On Ruby is the value on his Kempton second to Binocular. Overturn appeals as best of the bigger prices and he would bounce off good ground.
    MS: We’re 4/6 Hurricane Fly and will lay the field against him.

TUESDAY SHOULDER RACES
    JM: Outside of Quevega, Baby Shine could place in the Mares Hurdle and Blazing Tempo would also be interesting if she ran. Noel O’Brien (Ireland’s chief handicapper) told me that Scotsirish is one of the best handicapped horses of the week and he runs in the Cross Country. I am sure Bless The Wings will run well in the novices’ handicap chase even though it was the other course he won over atCheltenhamlast time. He won with something in hand with his ears flicking.
    PJ: I liked Our Girl Salley to be second to Quevega in the Mares Hurdle but Betfair is telling us this evening she may have had a setback. I think Scotsirish will kill his rivals for speed in the Cross Country being able to hold his own in Grade 1 2m races and noting the ground is likely to ride fast on that course. I like Bless The Wings for the win and Vino Griego e/w in the novices’ handicap at first glance but it’s not a race I have looked at closely as yet.
    NR: Shop Dj or Baby Shine would be my each-way alternatives to Quevega in the Mares Hurdle. Uncle Junior offers better value than Scotsirish of the Mullins pair in the Cross Country. The only other option is Sizing Australia on similar ground to what he won on in last year’s race. Bless The Wings has a good chance in the novice handicap and White Star Line is a bit of value with his form tying in with Hidden Cyclone.
    MS: Quevega is different class to these and this looks a worse Mares Hurdle than the last two years. Our Girl Salley back in trip has e/w chance as she was the best horse at the weights when third atAscotlast time. Scotsirish was smashed off the boards for the cross country race here in December when he took the wrong course so looks the one with Sizing Australia only 5lbs than when winning last year being each-way value. I am not convinced about Triolo D’Alene’s jumping who is likely to be favourite in the novice handicap. Carrick Boy needed to win earlier this week to get in the race with a penalty which he did and he has gone under the radar a bit and would be my fancy.

NH CHASE
    JM: Alle Garde has an each-way chance even on the figures of races that weren’t up with his best form. He has a good chance of winning on his Leopardstown Grade 1 third behind Last Instalment. Mullins has a good hand as also has Soll but Alle Garde is more experienced and would be my fancy.
    PJ: I like Alle Garde. I just think his Leopardstown run behind Last Instalment and First Lieutenant is the best form on offer and that run was also on good ground like it could be on Wednesday whereas it was heavy when he was beaten next time.
    NR: Patrick Mullins has described Alle Garde has his best ride of the week and he has the most ability of these on his placed effort in a Grade 1 race. Teaforthree and Soll would want softer ground than is likely.
    MS: Harry The Viking has been ante-post favourite but he looks a bit quirky to me and may want professional handling. Alfie Spinner has the best British form so appeals as an each-way bet.

NEPTUNE INVESTMENTS NOVICES’ HURDLE
    JM: Without question I would run Boston Bob in the Albert Bartlett. Until we know where he runs it hard to have a strong view about the race.
    PJ: I liked Sous Les Cieux for this after he won the Royal Bond, then went off him after a couple of defeats, but am coming round to him again. Partly as market moves suggest Boston Bob could be Albert Bartlett bound which tells me that Mullins rates them both highly so wants to keep them apart. I would have preferred to see Simonsig in the Supreme as question whether he has the guts for a race like theNeptunewhere they have to battle hard to win. On decent ground I also see Make Your Mark being a big player.
    NR: I wouldn’t give up on Boston Bob running here. His owner told Andy Stewart this is where he wants to run. If he runs then Boston Bob is the bet of the meeting, if not, then I would switch to Make Your Mark
    MS: We’re happy to lay Simonsig. Monksland likes decent ground and would be of interest if it came up such a surface.

RSA CHASE
    JM: Grands Crus is not as short as he should be and providing he runs here he is one of the bets of the meeting. As he is such a strong traveller the view from many is that he won’t stay but, for me, the only danger is the ground. He is a neat and accurate jumper that goes left-handed and right-handed and will win if the ground is okay.
    PJ: I would be against Grands Crus wherever he runs as I’ve never seen him win a race when he had to battle and RSA Chases are rarely won with ease. I backed Bobs Worth straight after the Feltham as he just has RSA type written all over him and am happy with that bet though I am not sure I would back him at current odds.
    NR: I’ve backed Invictus so was disappointed to hear he is doubtful now after a setback today. Bobs Worth doesn’t jump well enough so I would go with whatever Gigginstown decide to run between Sir Des Champs and First Lieutenant.

JM: Colm Murphy does really well with his top horses in top races so I wouldn’t judge Big Zeb on his Tied Cottage run. That said, it hard to get away from Sizing Europe who is an even better horse this year than last year so lump on.
    PJ: It’s very simple really. SizingEuropeis even better this season and this year’s race is not at good as 12 months ago so at odds-against then he is a bet and I don’t usually back shorties at the Festival.
    NR: SizingEuropewill have to fall to get beat. Finian’s Rainbow just looks lethargic. Kauto Stone could hit the frame on his Tingle Creek form.
    MS: I think Kauto Stone could go well and be the one to give Sizing Europe most to do if you ignoreAscotlast time when he ran too freely. You can get 13/8 elsewhere (Boylesports) that Sizing Europe starts odds-on which is a good price. He will lengthen and then shorten up before the race and it’s a much shorter than 13/8 chance that he will go off odds-on.

WEDNESDAY SHOULDER RACES
    JM: CapeDutchis of interest if getting in the Coral Cup. I was with John Ferguson last week and this is one of three horses he feels has realistic e/w chances this week (others being New Year’s Eve and Cotton Mill). He was second to a well handicapped horse of Nicholls’ at the Open Meeting and had a break since. When I was inIrelandI didn’t get strong vibes they thought they would win the Bumper but they have some strong contenders notably Clonbanon Lad.
    PJ: Batonnier might switch from theNeptuneto the Coral Cup and, if so, I like his chances off 138. Final Approach would be higher than I like ratings-wise on trends but he is not much higher than when winning theCountyHurdlefrom an impossible position last year so is well handicapped for me and open to more improvement at this trip. Edeymi is my idea of the Fred Winter winner. Vendor is an atrocious price off back of Alan King’s comments he is very well in as half the field will also be well in. Moscow Mannon is the most likely winner of the Bumper for me but no strong view in that race.
    NR: Sir Johnson is 4-4 inbumpers and been put away for this since the autumn by Peter Bowen and has been overlooked.SpiritRiverwon the Coral Cup two years ago and is only 4lbs higher this time. I like his chance and that ofFeatherbed Lane. Edeymi appeals most in the Fred Winter though his trainer’s recent record atCheltenhamis a worry.
    MS: If Batonnier runs in the Coral Cup then we want to keep him on side. We have seen money for Act Of Kalanisi and Dr Newland has won this race before. Kazlian and Ulck De Linn are the two we have seen money for in the Fred Winter but also respect Charles Byrnes’ Arnaud. I can pass on a good word in the Bumper for David O’Meara’s Ifandbutwhynot who is likely to be a big price.

JEWSON NOVICES’ CHASE
    JM: Cristal Bonus has been most impressive since having a wind op after joining Nicholls and is my fancy. Sir Des Champs has also been impressive but whether he has as much tactical speed over this trip as Cristal Bonus would be a slight worry.
    PJ: Sir Des Champs and Cristal Bonus have been my two fancies against the field for a while but after speaking to Nicholls last week, he told me that Cristal Bonus would be much better jumping left handed so given how impressive he was going the other way at Kempton last time, then he would be the one for me.
    NR: No strong view but Sir Des Champs if he runs and I have had a good word e/w fromIrelandfor Call The Police.
    MS: I was at Kempton when Cristal Bonus won and he really was impressive. Peddlers Cross has switched here from the Arkle as his schooling wasn’t what they wanted but there are more fences to jump here. We will want to get him.

RYANAIR CHASE
    JM: Cheekpieces seemed to sharpen up Somersby atAscotlast time and he keeps putting up solid figures and has a good overall record so he would be my preference. Riverside Theatre is a very exuberant horse and I am one of his doubters. It is a fact that he ran disappointingly at the Festival before.
    PJ: I like Somersby each-way as feel it is hard to see him not run his race so he should place at worst if he runs to his form and you might even hit the jackpot. He has been placed twice at the Festival before don’t forget and cheekpieces seemed to sweeten him up atAscot. Rubi Light may want softer, Noble Prince may want faster and they have something to prove on pure form with the best of the Brits so both could be under-priced.
    NR: I spoke to Paul Nolan who wants McCoy to ride Noble Prince but he looks set to be claimed for Albertas Run so Davy Russell will ride if that is the case. Rubi Light looks solid for a top three finish and handles decent ground as we saw when he was third last year. He is one of my bets of the meeting.
    MS: If it comes up decent ground I confidently expect Noble Prince to start a clear favourite.

WORLD HURDLE
    JM: Oscar Whisky is good value at 6/1 if you take the view that he will stay. He is not certain to on pedigree but he has a good chance of getting the trip. I think Big Buck’s will be ridden prominently and gradually pull horses off the bridle.
    PJ: I’m not opposing Big Buck’s but feel Mourad offers some value each-way in the without favourite market now that he has found his form again and was third last year and front running might be the making of him.
    NR: No strong opinion but Voler La Vedette each-way without Big Buck’s makes some appeal.
    MS: If I was take on Big Buck’s it would be with So Young who is still unexposed and may have won the Neptune last year had he jumped the final flight properly.

THURSDAY SHOULDER RACES
    JM: Our Father was ridden with unbelievable confidence last time and is clearly a contender for the Pertemps Final. Sivola De Sivola is another that makes appeals as is Jetson who won the Leopardstown qualifier with more in hand than the margin suggested. Crack Away Jack could be well handicapped. He was bombing away at the time of a bad mistake here in November and I would probably want to be with him in the Plate. I know Brackloon High runs in the Kim Muir and he was fifth at the Open Meeting over hurdles and been running well over fences since and would be a speculative selection.
    PJ: No view yet on the Kim Muir, Buena Vista each-way in the Pertemps Final could easily come off for the fifth year running as Pipe is putting up a 10lbs claimer this year and he did win it easily last year with a 5lbs claimer and is just 2lbs higher and I like Crack Away Jack in the Plate as he has tip-top Festival form and the vibes are that Nicholls has him back to near his best so he could be very nicely treated compared to his hurdles rating.
    NR: I like Michael Flips in the Plate who looks pretty well handicapped having been second in a Grade 1 novice chase last time and also respect Salut Flo. Baile Anrai is interesting if he runs in the Kim Muir where I also like Helpston. I am looking atSapphirRiverin the Pertemps Final who has decent French form.
    MS: We’re keen on Sivola De Sivola in the Pertemps Final and also feel Catch Me has been lined up for this for a while. Salut Flo and Divers have been best backed with us for the Plate. I like Helpston for the Kim Muir and also Micks Delight for Victor Dartnall.

TRIUMPH HURDLE
    JM: I backed Shadow Catcher last time and felt he should have won. He was going like a winner throughout and why he hit the front as early as two out I don’t know. He travelled best through the race by some way. I took 20/1 for the Triumph soon after and that is my only ante post bet.
    PJ: Grumeti looks bomb proof each-way and I rate him as the best of the Brits but do feel the Irish have a real chance this year in a race they have not won for 10 years. I would expect Shadow Catcher to reverse form with Hisaabaat from Leopardstown and rate him and Darroun as the main dangers.
    NR: Grumeti really does look rock solid to run a big race. I couldn’t have Sadler’s Risk but Shadow Catcher has good each-way claims.
    MS: If you fancy an each-way bet it might be best to wait until the day as it looks like being a big field and you could get four places. I fancy Sadlers Risk to reverse Adonis form with Baby Mix. It’s wide open and could even 6/1 favourite on the day. Pearl Swan each-way for me.

ALBERT BARTLETT NOVICES’ HURDLE
    JM: As with theNeptune, hard to give any strong views until we know where Boston Bob is running.
    PJ: Having backed Mount Benbulben for this about two months ago at a much bigger price than he is now I really hope Boston Bob heads for the Neptune as I do rate his second to Boston Bob as the next best piece of form in the Albert Bartlett by quite a way.
    NR: Hard to see beyond Boston Bob orMountBenbulbenthough Fox Appeal is improving steadily and could run a big race.
    MS: BrindisiBreeze is our worst result of the Festival if he wins having laid it at 33/1 before he won by half the track last time out. I’d take on Rocky Creek.

GOLD CUP
    JM: If Long Run runs to the same form as in last year’s race then he will win. He is still very hard to knock on paper and I thought he ran a fantastic race when second to Kauto Star in the King George for a real stayer and Kauto was ridden beautifully that day. The fact remains, however, that Long Run did make a couple of errors in Gold Cup last season and his runs in the Paddy Power and RSA at Cheltenham here were littered with mistakes. Some ridiculous things have been said about Sam Waley-Cohen but he is a very capable amateur. I so think that Long Run will drift on the day.
    PJ: I just have a feeling we will get a result here. I’ve liked Weird Al’s each-way chances for a while but they are now starting to firm up even more following Kauto Star’s schooling fall and rumours all is not 100% with Long Run. I don’t fancy Grands Crus to stay looking how he fell away in the French Champion Hurdle over 3m1½f. Weird All goes best fresh, loves the track and represents an upwardly mobile yard and I have gone in again. I could also see Knockara Beau running on strongly through beaten horses and could even grab a place at huge odds like so many of his ilk have done before.
    NR: I expect Grands Crus and Kauto Star to both run. Long Run is the most likely winner but is too skinny so it’s Synchronised and Weird Al that have most place potential.
    MS: I am sure Long Run will drift so see no point in anyone backing him now. Burton Port has the potential to bounce so I am looking at What A Friend to sneak into frame as he needed the run at Newbury last time and only just missed out on a place by a short head last year.

FRIDAY SHOULDER RACES
    JM: Salsify wants decent ground and has good form and is my Foxhunters’ selection. I doubt whether Chapoturgeon will stay the Gold Cup trip and Barbers Shop is a bit of a monkey these days. Tanks For That runs the course well and he should run well in the Grand Annual forHenderson. I would run Prospect Wells in the County if he were mine and rate him one of the bets of the meeting if they do with Brampour holding the weights down. My three against the field for the Martin Pipe are Bourne, Balgarry and Poole Master who all look ahead of the handicapper if they get in.
    PJ: I like On The Fringe for the Foxhunters’ who was fourth last year as just a 6yo and was an encouraging third to Salsify giving weight on his only run since last month. Citizenship should love the extra1fand uphill finish compared to Leopardstown when he won last time finishing very strongly and he and Dirar are my two against the field in the Vincent O’Brien County Hurdle. I have a sneaky feeling Free World may be a third long-term plot in the Grand Annual for Arthur Moore having won twice fairly recently. Not looked at the Martin Pipe yet and probably won’t until the day as it’s a nightmare.
    NR: Raya Star should be on the premises in the County off a strong pace which he hasn’t had on his last two starts yet still won atAscotand went close at Newbury. Ubi Ace wants a fast 2m and is not to be underestimated and also has just moved to Jonjo O’Neill from Tim Walford. McCain thinksCloudy Laneis his best bet of the meeting in the Foxhunters’.CapeDutchis interesting if he gets in the Martin Pipe. Lucky William interests me for the Grand Annual and does Bellvano who might get the race run to suit.
    MS: Snap Tie has shortened most with us for theCountyHurdlebut a lot of punters are waiting to see what happens in the Imperial Cup first. We will be ducking Salsify in the Foxhunters’. We saw money this morning for Toner D’Oudairies for the Martin Pipe and Gordon Elliott has commented on Twitter tonight he is switching to this race. Toubab is likely to well backed in the Grand Annual as it’s the getting out stakes and the Nicholls-Walsh horse always is.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.

Thanks
    qzy; thanks for writing something that makes sense of the stuff I wrote last night [I was a bit tired] and saying which 'Sivola' horse was mentioned, as I got confused with so many 'Sivola' horses around at the moment. A good night, as usual. Are you going to the National Preview?

Thanks
    These previews are written by the Bettrends team, none of it my own work!

Thanks
    I wondered how people could make notes that quickly and eat their sandwiches at the same time!!

Thanks
    CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PREVIEW at THE CENTEUR, Cheltenham Racecourse

Sponsored by Sky Bet

Sunday, 11th March
    The panel for the official Cheltenham Preview Evening was chaired by racing journalist and Times Correspondent Alan Lee, who was joined by the youngest ever Grand National winning trainer Gordon Elliott (GE), manager of sportingbet.com Russ Wiseman (RW), the Irish Turf Club Handicapper Noel O’Brian (NO), Channel 4 Racing’s presenter Tanya Stevenson (TS), Venetia Williams stable jockey Aidan Coleman (AC) and Gold Cup and Grand National legend Mick Fitzgerald (MF). The night covered the main Group 1 races during the four days of the festival, with plenty of different views from both sides of the Irish Sea from this excellent panel.

For the latest prices for each race please click on the Sky Bet banners.

Day 1

SUPREME NOVICES’ HURDLE~
    RW: This looks a very open contest. People seem to be completely confused here – usually there is a stand out horse but not this year. Over the past few weeks we have seen a number of horses trying to top the betting market.
    AC: Darlan is the obvious one here – his last run you could rule that out. I also like Vulcanite at a big price.
    MF: Darlan took a horror fall at Newbury, but his schooling after was really good and I wouldn’t have any worries about his confidence.
    TS: There are a couple of dark horses in here. I fancy Tetlami and Colour Squadron if he turns up.
    NO: Steps To Freedom is the highest rated of the Irish runners here. Many were criticising Jessica Harrington for not running the horse recently, but it makes sense not to run him on soft ground if he prefers good ground. Another one in this is Trifolium who I like each way at 14/1.
    GE: Steps To Freedom is a classy horse, my only concern is him getting up the hill – if it was a flat course he would be a cert as he has plenty of speed. I know Charles Byrnes thinks a lot of Trifolium and he is a very shrewd trainer back home – the same applies to Donald McCain’s runner Cinders And Ashes.

ARKLE
    MF: I’ve known Nicky Henderson for a long time and I have never seen him so excited about a horse. Sprinter Sacre is the real deal and will be a stronger horse at this year’s festival.
    AC: Sprinter Sacre seems to be impressive in everything he does, but we haven’t seen him come under pressure yet so that will be the real test.
    NO: It is disappointing that Fleminstar doesn’t hold an entry in this as he is an exceptional horse. Barry Geraghty is comparing Sprinter Sacre to Moscow Flyer so he must be taken seriously. Of the Irish challengers, Blackstairmountain is a two time Grade 1 winner and will improve from the better ground.
    TS: I can’t find anything to beat Sprinter Sacre, although I do fancy Menorah each way in this because I think they were going too slow for him in his races and we might just see him improve from a faster run race.
    RW: I think the bookmakers have a chance here with Sprinter Sacre – that hill might just catch him out.

CHAMPION HURDLE
    RW: Hurricane Fly looks rock solid here. If Binocular is back to his very best he would have the biggest change of upsetting this warm favourite.
    NO: Hurricane Fly was very impressive at Leopardstown – It is a pity that Unaccompanied didn’t perform well on the day. Zarkander looks the dark horse here, but he still has a stone to find on Hurricane Fly.
    GE: There is nothing in this race to challenge Hurricane Fly. I think Willie Mullins will have the one-two with Thousand Stars following him home if he runs.
    TS: Hurricane Fly should win and will win, but Overturn could sneak second place off a strong pace.
    AC: I was impressed with Zarkander – I couldn’t believe he got back up to win at Newbury as he looked beat turning in that day.
    MF: Hurricane Fly is a different class from this field. I seen Binocular during the week and he looked absolutely brilliant.

Day 2

NEPTUNE NOVICES’ HURDLE
    GE: Mount Benbulben doesn’t run here, he goes for the Albert Bartlett instead.
    NO: I really like Noel Meade’s horse Monksland – he is unbeaten on the track and will appreciate the better ground and his form does tie in with Boston Bob.
    MF: Simonsig for me – Barry Geraghty always thought this was the right race for him. When he got beaten by Fingal Bay at Sandown he scoped badly when they got home, so you could rule that run out.
    TS: Alan King has a nice number of novices in his yard and I think Batonnier is one of his best ones.
    RW: Just to note that Monksland has been one of the best backed horses all day – shortening from 7/1 into 5/1.

RSA CHASE
    RW: The bookmakers certainly feel they can get Grand Cruz beat here, with doubts over his ability to stay the trip at Cheltenham.
    AC: I have ridden in races against him and I think he can get beaten in this.
    MF: I have been disappointed in Bobs Worth, although he will be better going left-handed.
    GE: Mouse Morris will have First Lieutenant ready for the festival, but the danger here is the Mullins horse in Sir Des Champs. His trainer thinks the world of him and I personally think he will win the Gold Cup next year.
    NO: Join Together looks the best of the English horses with the Irish horses slightly lacking behind in terms of winning this on Wednesday.

NO: I don’t think that Big Zeb is as bad as he looked in his last race – he can’t be. However, Sizing Europe is 11lbs clear of his rivals in this contest.
    GE: Sizing Europe will take all the beating if he stands up.
    MF: The winner of an Arkle, Sizing Europe loves this place and out of the big four festival hopefuls, he looks the certainty.
    TS: I can see Sizing Europe, but I can’t see Big Zeb. This is a weak renewal and we might be under rating Kauto Stone slightly, but he will need a cut in the ground to get involved here.

FRED WINTER JUVINILE HANDICAP HURDLE
    AC: I think Kapga De Cerisy is well handicapped for this and I know Venetia really likes him.
    NO: The Irish won this last year – It’s a tricky race with trying to compare the ratings, especially when you bring in the French form with horses that have yet to run under rules in the UK.
    TS: I really like Vendor. Eagle Rock is an interesting contender at 20/1 and might be involved to pick up some prize money.

Day 3

JEWSON NOVICES’ CHASE
    GE: I think this is the right race for Peddlers Cross – he loves the track and the trip should be ideal.
    MF: Peddlers Cross has taken his time to take to fences and he hasn’t looked that quick this year. I would rule out his run against Sprinter Sacre – He may come back to two miles but there is no doubting his ability.
    NO: Call The Police won impressively at Gowran Park and is a decent horse but just not top class. If Peddlers Cross comes back to himself he wins this.
    AC: I would take on Peddlers with Champion Court. Alan Cawley lives with me and he assures me he is flying at home.
    RW: This is an interesting race and there has been a lot of uncertainty about Peddlers Cross’s preparation for the festival and that could see him drift on the day.

RYANAIR CHASE
    RW: We have seen money for nine different horses here. Riverside Theatre tops the betting but only just.
    NO: Of the Irish Challengers you would have to give it to Rubi Light – He is a better horse this year and he is running over his ideal trip. Noble Prince will improve from the better ground, but you would have to say he has been disappointing this year.
    GE: Rubi Light has no chance in winning this. He had a hard race just three weeks ago and that to me wouldn’t be ideal. You would have to stick a pin in it to find the winner of this one.
    TS: I really fancy Kalahari King – he was second in this last year and Ferdy Murphy knows how to get them right for the festival.
    AC: Great Endeavour for me. The course and distance will be right and he has been trained for this race.

WORLD HURDLE
    TS: Big Bucks will win this for the fourth time – I would have Thousand Stars betting without Big Buck if he goes for this.
    NO: There is only 4lbs in the difference between Big Bucks and his rivals this time in a quality line up. If he were to win this, he would be the best staying hurdler we have seen for generations.
    GE: I agree with NO – I think Big Bucks will win and I question Oscar Whisky’s ability to stay up that hill.
    MF: If Big Bucks hits a flat spot late in the race, Oscar Whisky could take advantage of that and Geraghty will be ridding him to have one good go at him as late as possible.

Day 4

TRUIMPH HURDLE
    RW: This is a very good race and bookmakers have seen plenty of horses being back off the boards.
    MF: Grumeti has really good flat form and it will be difficult for Choc to decide who to ride in this race.
    GE: My runner Shadow Catcher goes for this and I am happy with him going into it. He will be travelling well coming to the last – what happens after that who knows, but I think he will be placed if not win the race.
    NO: I don’t feel that there is a vintage group of juveniles in this contest. If I had to choose one it would be Darroun.
    AC: Baby Mix for me – he has already proved he is a better horse than Sadlers Risk.

GE: Boston Bob is a better horse than my runner Mount Benbulben – I would hope to get placed at best.
    MF: I really do think that Boston Bob is an absolute good thing and he will go off 6/4 on the day.
    NO: Boston Bob is rated 151 – the best of the Irish novices. The form stands up here and he turns this race into a very strong one this year. Sea Of Thunder looked a likely winner before falling at the last at this venue last December and looks slightly unexposed.
    RW: There has been plenty of cash for Boston Bob in the last 24 hours, but there are many decent runners to challenge the market this year.

GOLP CUP
    MF: Long Run is a lot better around Cheltenham. Sam Waley-Cohen has a hard task on his hands and he will need to be brilliant on him again this year.
    AC: I think Long Run will have the legs for Kauto this year again. His last few runs have seen him idle a bit in his races, but then again so does Big Bucks.
    NO: Quel Espirit has fallen two or three times including at Cheltenham, but his jumping has been a revelation this year. He would be good enough to win the Ryanair but not this.
    GE: I would like to see a pair of blinkers on Long Run – it might just stop him hitting a flat spot during his races. Although I can see something turning over the top two, but I have no idea what that might be.
    RW: Long Run will go off favourite on Friday, but Burton Port has been gambled on recently which is quite interesting.

Thanks
    CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PREVIEW at THE CENTEUR, Cheltenham Racecourse

Sponsored by Sky Bet

Sunday, 11th March
    The panel for the official Cheltenham Preview Evening was chaired by racing journalist and Times Correspondent Alan Lee, who was joined by the youngest ever Grand National winning trainer Gordon Elliott (GE), manager of sportingbet.com Russ Wiseman (RW), the Irish Turf Club Handicapper Noel O’Brian (NO), Channel 4 Racing’s presenter Tanya Stevenson (TS), Venetia Williams stable jockey Aidan Coleman (AC) and Gold Cup and Grand National legend Mick Fitzgerald (MF). The night covered the main Group 1 races during the four days of the festival, with plenty of different views from both sides of the Irish Sea from this excellent panel.

For the latest prices for each race please click on the Sky Bet banners.

Day 1

SUPREME NOVICES’ HURDLE~
    RW: This looks a very open contest. People seem to be completely confused here – usually there is a stand out horse but not this year. Over the past few weeks we have seen a number of horses trying to top the betting market.
    AC: Darlan is the obvious one here – his last run you could rule that out. I also like Vulcanite at a big price.
    MF: Darlan took a horror fall at Newbury, but his schooling after was really good and I wouldn’t have any worries about his confidence.
    TS: There are a couple of dark horses in here. I fancy Tetlami and Colour Squadron if he turns up.
    NO: Steps To Freedom is the highest rated of the Irish runners here. Many were criticising Jessica Harrington for not running the horse recently, but it makes sense not to run him on soft ground if he prefers good ground. Another one in this is Trifolium who I like each way at 14/1.
    GE: Steps To Freedom is a classy horse, my only concern is him getting up the hill – if it was a flat course he would be a cert as he has plenty of speed. I know Charles Byrnes thinks a lot of Trifolium and he is a very shrewd trainer back home – the same applies to Donald McCain’s runner Cinders And Ashes.

ARKLE
    MF: I’ve known Nicky Henderson for a long time and I have never seen him so excited about a horse. Sprinter Sacre is the real deal and will be a stronger horse at this year’s festival.
    AC: Sprinter Sacre seems to be impressive in everything he does, but we haven’t seen him come under pressure yet so that will be the real test.
    NO: It is disappointing that Fleminstar doesn’t hold an entry in this as he is an exceptional horse. Barry Geraghty is comparing Sprinter Sacre to Moscow Flyer so he must be taken seriously. Of the Irish challengers, Blackstairmountain is a two time Grade 1 winner and will improve from the better ground.
    TS: I can’t find anything to beat Sprinter Sacre, although I do fancy Menorah each way in this because I think they were going too slow for him in his races and we might just see him improve from a faster run race.
    RW: I think the bookmakers have a chance here with Sprinter Sacre – that hill might just catch him out.

CHAMPION HURDLE
    RW: Hurricane Fly looks rock solid here. If Binocular is back to his very best he would have the biggest change of upsetting this warm favourite.
    NO: Hurricane Fly was very impressive at Leopardstown – It is a pity that Unaccompanied didn’t perform well on the day. Zarkander looks the dark horse here, but he still has a stone to find on Hurricane Fly.
    GE: There is nothing in this race to challenge Hurricane Fly. I think Willie Mullins will have the one-two with Thousand Stars following him home if he runs.
    TS: Hurricane Fly should win and will win, but Overturn could sneak second place off a strong pace.
    AC: I was impressed with Zarkander – I couldn’t believe he got back up to win at Newbury as he looked beat turning in that day.
    MF: Hurricane Fly is a different class from this field. I seen Binocular during the week and he looked absolutely brilliant.

Day 2

NEPTUNE NOVICES’ HURDLE
    GE: Mount Benbulben doesn’t run here, he goes for the Albert Bartlett instead.
    NO: I really like Noel Meade’s horse Monksland – he is unbeaten on the track and will appreciate the better ground and his form does tie in with Boston Bob.
    MF: Simonsig for me – Barry Geraghty always thought this was the right race for him. When he got beaten by Fingal Bay at Sandown he scoped badly when they got home, so you could rule that run out.
    TS: Alan King has a nice number of novices in his yard and I think Batonnier is one of his best ones.
    RW: Just to note that Monksland has been one of the best backed horses all day – shortening from 7/1 into 5/1.

RSA CHASE
    RW: The bookmakers certainly feel they can get Grand Cruz beat here, with doubts over his ability to stay the trip at Cheltenham.
    AC: I have ridden in races against him and I think he can get beaten in this.
    MF: I have been disappointed in Bobs Worth, although he will be better going left-handed.
    GE: Mouse Morris will have First Lieutenant ready for the festival, but the danger here is the Mullins horse in Sir Des Champs. His trainer thinks the world of him and I personally think he will win the Gold Cup next year.
    NO: Join Together looks the best of the English horses with the Irish horses slightly lacking behind in terms of winning this on Wednesday.

NO: I don’t think that Big Zeb is as bad as he looked in his last race – he can’t be. However, Sizing Europe is 11lbs clear of his rivals in this contest.
    GE: Sizing Europe will take all the beating if he stands up.
    MF: The winner of an Arkle, Sizing Europe loves this place and out of the big four festival hopefuls, he looks the certainty.
    TS: I can see Sizing Europe, but I can’t see Big Zeb. This is a weak renewal and we might be under rating Kauto Stone slightly, but he will need a cut in the ground to get involved here.

FRED WINTER JUVINILE HANDICAP HURDLE
    AC: I think Kapga De Cerisy is well handicapped for this and I know Venetia really likes him.
    NO: The Irish won this last year – It’s a tricky race with trying to compare the ratings, especially when you bring in the French form with horses that have yet to run under rules in the UK.
    TS: I really like Vendor. Eagle Rock is an interesting contender at 20/1 and might be involved to pick up some prize money.

Day 3

JEWSON NOVICES’ CHASE
    GE: I think this is the right race for Peddlers Cross – he loves the track and the trip should be ideal.
    MF: Peddlers Cross has taken his time to take to fences and he hasn’t looked that quick this year. I would rule out his run against Sprinter Sacre – He may come back to two miles but there is no doubting his ability.
    NO: Call The Police won impressively at Gowran Park and is a decent horse but just not top class. If Peddlers Cross comes back to himself he wins this.
    AC: I would take on Peddlers with Champion Court. Alan Cawley lives with me and he assures me he is flying at home.
    RW: This is an interesting race and there has been a lot of uncertainty about Peddlers Cross’s preparation for the festival and that could see him drift on the day.

RYANAIR CHASE
    RW: We have seen money for nine different horses here. Riverside Theatre tops the betting but only just.
    NO: Of the Irish Challengers you would have to give it to Rubi Light – He is a better horse this year and he is running over his ideal trip. Noble Prince will improve from the better ground, but you would have to say he has been disappointing this year.
    GE: Rubi Light has no chance in winning this. He had a hard race just three weeks ago and that to me wouldn’t be ideal. You would have to stick a pin in it to find the winner of this one.
    TS: I really fancy Kalahari King – he was second in this last year and Ferdy Murphy knows how to get them right for the festival.
    AC: Great Endeavour for me. The course and distance will be right and he has been trained for this race.

WORLD HURDLE
    TS: Big Bucks will win this for the fourth time – I would have Thousand Stars betting without Big Buck if he goes for this.
    NO: There is only 4lbs in the difference between Big Bucks and his rivals this time in a quality line up. If he were to win this, he would be the best staying hurdler we have seen for generations.
    GE: I agree with NO – I think Big Bucks will win and I question Oscar Whisky’s ability to stay up that hill.
    MF: If Big Bucks hits a flat spot late in the race, Oscar Whisky could take advantage of that and Geraghty will be ridding him to have one good go at him as late as possible.

Day 4

TRUIMPH HURDLE
    RW: This is a very good race and bookmakers have seen plenty of horses being back off the boards.
    MF: Grumeti has really good flat form and it will be difficult for Choc to decide who to ride in this race.
    GE: My runner Shadow Catcher goes for this and I am happy with him going into it. He will be travelling well coming to the last – what happens after that who knows, but I think he will be placed if not win the race.
    NO: I don’t feel that there is a vintage group of juveniles in this contest. If I had to choose one it would be Darroun.
    AC: Baby Mix for me – he has already proved he is a better horse than Sadlers Risk.

GE: Boston Bob is a better horse than my runner Mount Benbulben – I would hope to get placed at best.
    MF: I really do think that Boston Bob is an absolute good thing and he will go off 6/4 on the day.
    NO: Boston Bob is rated 151 – the best of the Irish novices. The form stands up here and he turns this race into a very strong one this year. Sea Of Thunder looked a likely winner before falling at the last at this venue last December and looks slightly unexposed.
    RW: There has been plenty of cash for Boston Bob in the last 24 hours, but there are many decent runners to challenge the market this year.

GOLP CUP
    MF: Long Run is a lot better around Cheltenham. Sam Waley-Cohen has a hard task on his hands and he will need to be brilliant on him again this year.
    AC: I think Long Run will have the legs for Kauto this year again. His last few runs have seen him idle a bit in his races, but then again so does Big Bucks.
    NO: Quel Espirit has fallen two or three times including at Cheltenham, but his jumping has been a revelation this year. He would be good enough to win the Ryanair but not this.
    GE: I would like to see a pair of blinkers on Long Run – it might just stop him hitting a flat spot during his races. Although I can see something turning over the top two, but I have no idea what that might be.
    RW: Long Run will go off favourite on Friday, but Burton Port has been gambled on recently which is quite interesting.

Thanks
    CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PREVIEW at the LYGON ARMS, CHIPPING CAMPDEN
    Sponsored by Skybet

Sunday, March 11th

This is one of the longest running Preview Evenings on the circuit (this was its 16th year) tucked away in The Cotswolds and was a sell out as usual with proceeds going to The Injured Jockeys’ Fund and has raised £75,000 down the years. Before the preview it was great to see Peter Toole in attendance who said a few words. You may recall he took a near fatal fall at Aintree at last season’s Grand National Meeting and was in a coma for 25 days and given what he went through he looked amazing.

The Panel was chaired by Stewart Machin and professional punter and author Alan Potts (AP), Alan King’s assistant trainer Noel Williams (NW), leading Welsh trainer Tim Vaughan (TV), racing commentator and broadcaster Richard Hoiles (RH) and Sean Graham Bookmakers’ on-course layer Ronan Graham (RG). All 27 races were discussed though the first two days took 2½ hours so the final two days was more rushed through hence heavier copy for the first two days.

Please click on the Sky Bet banners for the latest prices.

SUPREME NOVICES’ HURDLE
    AP: The English won’t win it. Not seen any to impress me, they all look Plumpton horses to me. How Darlan is favourite for falling over last time out heaven only knows, everything was still on the bridle 2 out as they crawled and his previous form means nothing. I like Midnight Game who looks a different horse going left-handed to right-handed and is his ex Flat speed should be suited to the likely decent ground.
    NW: I can vouch that Montbazon put in a sensational piece of work recently as Alan reported. I thought he was wet behind the years at start of season and he will only be better next year but he is improving fast. He needs to step up again but he has an each-way chance at the very least.
    TV: Probably Jimbill will be our runner. He’s definitely coming back to form but needs to improve a lot. He beat Montbazon in a bumper but that horse is improving fast and I would make Alan King’s horse a big player and just prefer him to Cinders And Ashes. I can’t have Darlan, Cheltenham is a different story to flat tracks as you have to graft.
    RH: If Zarkandar had fallen 2 out at Newbury and not Darlan would he have shortened as much for the Champion Hurdle as much as Darlan did for the Supreme? Seems odd to me that he has cut on the basis that some think he would have with ease. I do like Cinders And Ashes, he has impressed me on all his starts and gets the vote. I also like Prospect Wells who has been forgotten about and is overpriced on his form with Steps To Freedom and he has had a wind op since he got stuck in bad ground at Sandown in the Tolworth.
    RG: No banker for punters this year unlike the last three years. Darlan is the price he is now due to his connections. I can see him shortening up further as momentum gets behind him. I do fancy the Irish but don’t think Galileo’s Choice has done enough. Allure Of Illusion is a big price and my each-way selection. He was third to Steps To Freedom and Montbazon at Aintree last season giving weight and there is no way in the world he is a 33/1 shot, especially with five places available (with Sky Bet).

ARKLE TROPHY
    AP: Sprinter Sacre will slaughter Al Ferof. There are 13 fences in the Arkle and he will take 2 lengths out of him at each fence. As for staying up the hill, there are two fences in the home straight in the Arkle these days which won’t suit Al Ferof. The only horse that beat Sprinter Sacre is Sprinter Sacre. He is the best novice chaser I have ever seen.
    NW: Sprinter Sacre is obviously very high class and has loads of speed but I can’t get it out of my head that he didn’t get up the hill last year and I can’t see him doing it this year either. I’m an Al Ferof fan as he loves that hill and is also very high class.
    TV: Sprinter Sacre should win but to find the winner you have to often go back to the top rated hurdler which is Menorah and Hobbs’ horses are starting to come right now and think he can be seriously competitive and I would rather go for him each-way. I would rather back Hurricane Fly at a similar price than Sprinter Sacre who could be a bridle horse and I don’t like them at Cheltenham. Al Ferof is a grinder and I do like them at Cheltenham.
    RH: I do think Sprinter Sacre will get up the hill unless he is too enthusiastic and they going absolutely nuts. He has jumped immaculately every single time. If they go slowly then Sprinter Sacre could pull too hard but the market looks about right and Menorah can be the one to take advantage if Sprinter Sacre has any flaws. I’m just trying to find a scenario how he can beat. A complete no bet race for me.
    RG: Not impossible could only be only six or seven runners. We will be best price about Sprinter Sacre on Tuesday morning. It’s not that we don’t fancy him, we just think he and Al Ferof should be closer together in the betting. At Evens Sprinter Sacre is a lay.

CHAMPION HURDLE
    AP: I don’t really expect Hurricane Fly to get beat. This might sound like an odd thing to say but I don’t think Binocular is at his best going left-handed. It’s a mark of his inconsistency that when he won the Champion Hurdle he started the biggest price of his life. I don’t fancy Zarkandar as his Newbury form isn’t good enough. Rock On Ruby could be the one for second.
    NW: It is difficult for the 5yos so Zarkandar isn’t for me. I know we won it with a 5yo in Katchit but being honest it wasn’t the best running, we have to be realistic about that. Rock On Ruby can be the danger to Hurricane Fly.
    TV: Hurricane Fly is an absolute certainty. I can’t see Zarkandar having a Scooby-do of a chance and he came back with a mucky nose last time. Walsh hasn’t even hinted about switching to any of the Nicholls horses. Hurricane Fly is the bet of the meeting and it’s a joke he is as big as Evens.
    RH: The market isn’t as one-sided as the betting suggests for me. I’ve traded out of my Binocular bet but happy to stick with my ante-post bet on Rock On Ruby. Why he chased Overturn at Kempton which set it up for Binocular I don’t know so I still think he is a big player and each-way without Hurricane Fly still makes plenty of appeal.
    RG: No matter how good he is we have to go and try and lay Hurricane Fly at odds-on and I ask myself the question was last year’s Champion Hurdle as good as many think? Not in my opinion. No one wanted to back him at Leopardstown. If Darlan and Sprinter Sacre get beat I will be taking him on big time. I can’t see Binocular drifting and he would be for me.

TUESDAY SHOULDER RACES
    AP: I can’t have Quantitativeeasing off top weight in the JLT but am fascinated by The Package who has not been out of the first three in four starts at Cheltenham but the price is pretty skinny now. He’d be my choice, shame about the price now. A horse owned by Alan Potts won the Cross Country last year so I got my usual selection of well done messages! It’s embarrassing to think I even have an interest in this race so no selection and apparently the other Alan Potts gets equally hacked off when asked for tips! Quincy De Pictons is an interesting runner in the novice handicap and I don’t think I’ve seen a much easier winner this season than him at Chepstow. The yard know how to land a coup and I feel they will know how to get him spot on.
    NW: I’m still trying to get it out of Alan whether Walkon will run in the JLT but Hold On Julio will and although he got baffled by The Railway Fences last time at Sandown he still won very well and it’s a blessing he has had not had a run since then as I was desperate to see him go here as he goes well fresh and his handicap mark was preserved. Double Dizzy would be off the radar for most people but was third here in November and also won the Sussex National and would be my each-way selection in the Cross Country. Bless The Wings is on target for the novice handicap chase and his mark of 138 is in the right kind of ballpark for the race. I think he is worth an extra length or two on his last win as idled a bit as hit the front a bit early.
    TV: Bottman will run in the JLT and ran a blinder at Cheltenham last time where he ran on like a train after being flat out all the way and this is3flonger. He has an engine but whether he is quite good enough I don’t know but I feel he can be competitive off a featherweight. I’ll keep the Cross Country simple and go for Scotsirish. The plan is to run Saint Are in the novice handicap chase. I am convinced he is better on a flat, left-handed track on faster ground. He needs everything in his favour to win.
    RH: I like previous Festival form in the handicaps so Tullamore Dew appeals in the JLT. I’ll go with A New Story e/w in Cross Country even though he is a geriatric. I like Kennford Grey Lady e/w without Quevega in the Mares Hurdle. She got a shocker of a ride at Ascot last time and is better than the winner that day, Violin Davis. Vino Griego is a back-to-lay as he travels like a dream but doesn’t finish strongly. He was fourth last year in the novice handicap chase when he tanked through the race and is 1lb lower and I hear they will hold on to him for longer this time. He is too big at 25/1.
    RG: The JLT is usually won by a fancied English horse and Tullamore Dew makes lots of appeal having twice placed at the meeting before. I’d be worried that Scotsirish will get 3m7f in the Cross Country and he is favourite so I will be keeping Sizing Australia and Maljimar on my side. I hear Shop Dj is working well and she could run well in the Mares Hurdle and won convincingly last time. Mark Winstanely has put up Triolo D’Alene has his nap of the first day in the novice handicap and Mick Fitzgerald his nap of the meeting at our Belfast Preview night. I quite like Dessie Hughes’ White Star Line who despite being a maiden over fences, he has only had good ground once and on that occasion ran First Lieutenant fairly close and this has been the target for a long time.

NEPTUNE INVESTMENTS NOVICES’ HURDLE
    AP: I think that Simonsig could outclass what look moderate rivals. Fact is when he second at Sandown he had a subsequent Grade 2 winner 16 lengths behind. If he is to be beaten then it will be by a grinder and Poole Master might be the one as the longer the race went on last time the better he looked.
    NW: Alan is still undecided if we run Batonnier here or in the Coral Cup off 138. I think Alan fancies him to run a big race wherever he goes. He is improving fast in a short space of time. I think Secret Edge will go for this and gets a 9lbs 4yo allowance though he does look pretty exposed. This is his trip though and was only beaten 5l by Batonnier last time and he is tough.
    TV: Simonsig looks a bridle horse and Henderson loves speed horses. He is all class but I didn’t like the way he cut out at Sandown but the fast ground could help in this respect.
    RH: The two best staying novices are Fingal Bay for the Brits and Boston Bob for the Irish but both are unlikely so it’s an odd race in that respect. I think Simonsig is a two-miler and he is a good horse but a bit like Darlan and want to see what he can do off the bridle. Monksland now looks best of the Irish after Boston Bob likely to switch.
    RG: We hear Boston Bob definitely goes for the Albert Bartlett this evening. Shame as this was the race tailor made for him but probably dictated by the yard having other runners. I couldn’t have Sous Les Cieux on my mind who has no turn of foot and think Make Your Mark is the best of the Mullins pair in this race and he is crying out for decent ground. Cotton Mill if he runs here is overpriced.

RSA CHASE
    AP: I’d run Grands Crus in the Jewson. I came away from Newbury when he won over 3m and thought I had seen a very high class 2m4f horse. I put Bobs Worth’s poor jumping down to racing right handed and to finish as close as he has the last twice is a testament to his talent. He is unbeaten in three starts at Cheltenham and looks every inch a typical grinding RSA type and is the guaranteed stayer so with gritted teeth I tip another Henderson horse.
    NW: Now Invictus is out it is possible Walkon could run and he is crying out for 3m. I wouldn’t even be considering the Gold Cup with Grands Crus, I think he will struggle to get a strongly run 3m let alone the longer Gold Cup trip. Bobs Worth will be better left-handed and by all accounts he wasn’t tip top last time when second to Invictus last time like he will be for this.
    TV: No brainer for me, I would Grands Crus here. Join Together is another I like and he is a real stayer so this race will suit. Most RSA Chase winners have a recent prep race and Grands Crus hasn’t run since Boxing Day. I wouldn’t back Bobs Worth for all the tea in China.
    RH: Bobs Worth is a tough horse but I am worried about his jumping and not sure it is down to running right handed. The accumulation of lots of little mistakes is more worrying that belting one for me. Vibes suggest Grands Crus more likely to run here but who knows? Most interesting horse is First Lieutenant who has been trained for this for a long time and I fancy him to run better than his form so far on better ground.
    RG: Once non runner no bet came in we were hit with bets for Sir Des Champs but he may go for the Jewson. You couldn’t give Bobs Worth away at Ascot and he didn’t jump a fence but was still only beaten 3 lengths so that was an outstanding performance. My worry with First Lieutenant is that his trainer has had only 3 winners this year and they were Rathlin, Rathlin and Rathlin. Tom Costello sold Join Together to Nicholls and is adamant he needs soft ground.

AP: I think Sizing Europe will win but I can’t bring myself to back a 10-year-old in a Grade 1 2m chase. Big Zeb is even older and even Finian’s Rainbow is 9 which older than I like for 2m chasers. I really hope Henrietta Knight doesn’t get it in her head to run Somersby here. I think Sizing Europe will win more or less by default.
    NW: No strong opinion but Sizing Europe should win, Big Zeb should be second and something not good enough should be third.
    TV: Sizing Europe is an absolute certainty. You have to be bold at these preview nights! His Cheltenham record speaks for itself.
    RH: I was negative on Finian’s Rainbow in the Arkle last year and am again here, they constantly change their mind about his trip. I think he has a hole in him when he comes off the bridle. I think Sizing Europe wins. He is a different horse now they have changed their schedule in how he travels over. He is more solid that Sprinter Sacre or Hurricane Fly for me.
    RG: Sizing Europe was 10/1 last year but he is Evens this year so we have to take him on. Has he peaked too soon this year? Bar the front three in the market, I don’t think anything else can win. Big Zeb is better value at 5/1. 5/4 a place Big Zeb appeals.

WEDNESDAY SHOULDER RACES
    AP: Stamina is the biggest question mark over my fancy Alfie Spinner in the NH Chase. He is a sound jumper and has a bit of class and an experienced amateur in Sam Waley-Cohen but his sire, Alflora, doesn’t get many stout stayers. Regards the Coral Cup, just to mention Poole Master again as he is 9lbs well in if he gets in and imagine this is the main aim if he squeezes in the handicap. The Handicapper has definitely dropped a clanger with Ulck De Linn for the Fred Winter. He has run not in Britain but has run in a 1m7f chase in France. The horse he beat then easily by 5 lengths was then second in a Grade 1. This is definitely not a 130 horse and the Handicappers have been making big mistakes about French hurdling form for the last five years. I like Red Inca as well but he has had to qualify in Britain and looks to have been lined up for this race. He can be best of the British horses. I don’t watch or have any interest in any bumpers.
    NW: Robbie Henderson is booked to ride Iron Chancellor for us in the NH Chase. He was run off his feet at Fakenham and is probably not classy enough though I expect him to relish four miles and he has earned his right to run. I like Charlie Longsdon’s Universal Soldier and don’t dismiss Mid Div And Creep hitting the frame at a big price as he was second in the Foxhunters’ last year. We covered Batonnier earlier on but I spotted Star Of Angels for David Pipe in the Coral Cup if he gets in as he has had problems so is possibly unexposed despite his age. We run Ardlui and Vendor in the Fred Winter. Vendor has high class form in France but despite two falls we’ve seen little evidence he is a bad jumper. On a line through our Triumph Hurdle horses, he would be every bit as good as those and he is much better than a 129 horse which he runs off. Royal Guardsman would be my fancy for the Bumper.
    TV: Bens Folly might not like the ground in the NH Chase and has plenty to find on ratings and Our Island wants bottomless ground and it looks like being fast. We run First Fandango in the Coral Cup as feel it is harder to win the Martin Pipe and he loves fast ground that he hasn’t had this season. He is in exceptionally good form at home and could sneak a place at a very big price and he is one of my better each-way chances of the week. No strong view on the Fred Winter but Vendor looks to have the right profile and his handicap mark looks very accommodating shall we say.
    RH: Will Biddick has been booked for Harry The Viking in the NH Chase who was once a professional jockey which is allowed if back to amateur status but just think he is a bit slow and there is no Jonjo O’Neill spot the yak game this year to choose from. Megastar is one of my bets of the week in the Coral Cup. He has had a long running tooth abcess all season and has now had the tooth taken out and he seems that much happier. He has run well in the Bumper and Neptune in the last two Festivals and only has 136 to run off here which looks well treated on his Bumper form and he is way too big at 40/1 and really gone under the radar and likes good ground too. The Fred Winter is one of my favourite races of the Festival and I totally agree with Alan Potts that ex-French horses get in very well in. I backed Ulck De Linn a few weeks back and I also give a chance to Venetia Williams’ Moujik Borget. He ran behind Une Artiste last time with no blinkers which he raced with in France so expect them to come back on and he also has good-ground form in France. No real view on the Bumper. Of the horses I have called, Village Vic has travelled best.
    RG: The only one they want to be on is Allee Garde recently and no one wants his stable mate Soll in the NH Chase and I can see the gamble continuing right until the off. Glens Boy could be one at a big price in this race for Henrietta Knight. The Coral Cup looks impossible but It’s A Gimme sticks out to me who is trained by Jonjo O’Neill who loves getting one ready for races like this. Musawam is 33/1 but is better than his form figures suggest for Gordon Elliott for the Fred Winter and if there is any money for him then I would be very interested. The Irish bumper horses don’t look superstars but Moscow Mannon would be 5/2 if trained by Willie Mullins. His rider won’t be able to claim his 7lbs though so he is already 7lbs worse off. I think Jezki is the best of the Irish and Royal Guardsman the best of the Brits. We laid six different horses in the Ascor bumper Royal Guardsman won so I am sure that was a strong bumper.

JEWSON NOVICES’ CHASE
    AP: I do hope Peddlers Cross doesn’t win. In novice chases I like the best jumpers so that means Cristal Bonus who has been brilliant over his fences in his two chase starts
    NW: Kumbeshwar goes here or the Grand Annual and he will have blinkers on the first time for us wherever he goes.
    TV: Peddlers Cross wins if he is right but McCain wouldn’t run him if he wasn’t. If Champion Court was trained by Henderson or Nicholls he would much shorter.
    RH: Peddlers Cross has clearly had issues but said to be sparkling more of late. I don’t know which Peddlers Cross will turn up so will go with Sir Des Champs.
    RG: I want to take Peddlers Cross and Cristal Bonus on. The latter would be 10/1 if not trained by Nicholls.

RYANAIR CHASE
    AP: I’ve been let down by Somersby more times than I care to count. I do think the New Course is much more suited to his style of racing though and he had that here. Rubi Light can’t win on fast ground. Somersby is the best horse in the race though he has been for others and not won those.
    NW: It’s 95% certain Medermit runs here. We want to try 3m at some point soon though. You have to throw him into the mix and he has a great chance of making the frame. Noble Prince is the one to beat.
    TV: I hear Noble Prince has had his problems this season. Medermit is a very solid horse so each-way material but probably a nearly horse. Rubi Light for me.
    RH: No strong views. Interesting to see if McCoy rides Albertas Run or Noble Prince. I don’t fancy Rubi Light on the likely ground.
    RG: Paul Nolan is having a poor run which is offputting for Noble Prince. I couldn’t dream of backing Rubi Light at 5/1 who looks good getting a solo out in front on bottomless ground but this will be very different. He’s shocking value and I will be standing him and Noble Prince. Medermit for me over Somersby.

WORLD HURDLE
    AP: One danger to Big Buck’s is really quick ground as he is now a 9-year-old.
    NW: I could see Oscar Whisky finish unplaced if he tries to put it up to Big Buck’s too early.
    TV: I think Oscar Whisky has an outstanding chance. He is a serious machine and can find improvement for the step up trip. The Big Buck’s run has to come to an end sometime
    RG: I think this is the most open World Hurdle for ages. I like So Young and he destroyed Trifolium last time who Charles Byrnes really rates. I take the view Big Buck’s’ run has to come to an end sometime and, at the price, I think he is the lay of the meeting and bookmakers will be queuing up to take him on. We’ll be going hell for leather to lay him.

THURSDAY SHOULDER RACES
    AP: Michael Scudamore’s Saphir River is another ex French horse and was sold for 280,000 euros and heads for the Pertemps Final so is interesting on his British debut but they clearly have too much money.
    TV: Tartak will have his first run for us in the Byrne Group Plate. If he was back to his best he has an outstanding chance off 148 but it’s a tall order given the problems he has had.
    RH: J P McManus has bought Catch Me who is hardly a spring chicken so he is interesting in the Pertemps Final.
    RG: I hear Our Father is potentially top class so he is the one for me in the Pertemps Final.

TRIUMPH HURDLE
    AP: This is the most open Triumph in many a year with nine horses covered by 8lbs. Baby Mix looks like a horse with a physical problem. I thought Grumeti’s best run was his hurdling debut and he might be better on right-handed tracks. I think he is a stone cold certainty for the Grade 1 at Punchestown. I would go for Pearl Swan if forced to bet having got his head in front of Grumeti last time giving 3lbs and there is more to come. He reminds me of Celestial Halo but by God it’s difficult this year.
    NW: Choc will school Grumeti and Balder Succes tomorrow and make a decision and it will be a tough decision. Grumeti is the harder and more experienced and has as good a chance as anything but I love Balder Succes as a prospect, he is a frame really and still developing. He has done all his winning on soft but that is just the way it has fallen and it wouldn’t bother me if it came up good ground as he has a good-ground action. His work on Wednesday was nothing short of sensational. He is just about the most exciting horse in the yard in my opinion.
    TV: I know Richard Johnson is very keen on Sadlers Risk and he thinks he will improve for the Kempton run which was needed and will love the hill and is 100% confident he will reverse with Baby Mix. Dodging Bullets each-way if he runs too.
    RH: I will be laying Baby Mix for a place and will be surprised if he even handles the preliminaries as he is a fruitcake. I’ve already done my money on Ranjaan.
    RG: I think Sadlers Risk will start favourite. The money for him over the last couple of days has been telling. The Irish are much of a muchness. I wouldn’t be rushing to back those.

AP: Boston Bob looks to have 10lbs-12lbs in hand. Nothing stands out from the rest.
    NW: We run Lovcen. He hacked up at Towcester but when we tried graded company he was returning from a break and was too fresh. He is very progressive and straightforward and won well last time and is crying out for 3m and his daisy cutting action suggests decent ground will be okay.
    TV: Captain Moonman runs for us and he beat Mount Benbulben easily in a point-to-point. He was flat out at Plumpton but Cheltenham will suit him much better. Boston Bob is a near certainty.
    RH: Boston Bob looks a cut above these.
    RG: I can see Boston Bob starting near 5/4. I see no reason why Mount Benbulben should reverse Navan form from before Christmas.

GOLD CUP
    AP: I can’t possibly have a 12-year-old winning the Gold Cup and especially on good ground which looks likely. I don’t think Long Run is right and he fluffed 6 of the last 7 races at Kempton by jumping left handed and he was doing it again at Newbury so he is jumping fences at an angle so that is not ideal. I will be laying Kauto Star and Long Run.
    NW: I do think Kempton’s 3m suits Kauto Star better than Cheltenham’s 3m2½f. Not really a Weird Al fan so Burton Port is the value.
    TV: Long Run hasn’t visually been the same horse for me this season. Not saying he can’t win but he hasn’t improved and looks more cumbersome and lazy which is not ideal even for a top class amateur such as Sam Waley-Cohen. If Kauto Star turns up in same form as Haydock and Kempton then I don’t see why he shouldn’t win. Weird Al and Burton Port appeal as best of the rest.
    RH: I think the big two are vulnerable. Most Gold Cup winners aren’t the same horse the next season. I’m a big Weird Al fan. You can see he has improved since moving to McCain. I’ve never seen Geraghty ride a horse like he did Burton Port last time and he is a tough horse and he still almost beat Long Run. I bet he doesn’t sit as quietly going to the last this time.
    RG: I’d be laying Kauto Star and Long Run together at Evens. The horse I like is Weird Al. Change of scenary to Donald McCain has worked and he only has 10 lengths to find with Kauto Star and has a very good Cheltenham record.

FRIDAY SHOULDER RACES
    AP: Best bet of the week for me is My Flora in the Foxhunters’. If you saw her win the John Corbett Cup at Stratford you will definitely want to be on her at a double figure price. She is great value with the mares’ allowance.
    NW: There should be a fair bit of improvement in Raya Star for the County Hurdle as he hasn’t had the fast pace he prefers yet.
    TV: I know Richard Johnson is very hopeful of Snap Tie in the County and was pleased with his racecourse gallop recently. My wife runs Picaroon in the Foxhunters’ and they will be setting a frenetic gallop I can assure you of that.
    RH: Snap Tie off 137 really catches the eye in the County. 887 days off but after the last time he ran he was favourite for the Arkle. The Handicapper can drop them too much for time off the track. Son Of Flicka was just beaten in the Martin Pipe last year by Sir Des Champs and has a fine Cheltenham record and can go well again even if he is likely to be the McCain second string behind Bourne. Interesting Free World is now with Arthur Moore who has won a couple of Grand Annuals.
    RG: The value has gone about Street Entertainer in the Martin Pipe and there is a good word for him. I think there will be a bit of a plunge on Kid Cassidy in the Grand Annual.

NAPS:
    NW: Hurricane Fly
    RH: Megastar
    TV: Boston Bob
    AP: My Flora
    RG: Weird Al

Thanks
    Is he trying to get a price?