Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pointing Thread

Thanks
    Any thoughts on today's action GC?

Thanks
    Divine Intavention looks seriously overpriced at 7s in my morning paper

Thanks
    Good race at Ludlow today where I am going with Divine Intavention to overcome the weight disadvantage and win this contest, 3/1 is fair enough for a horse on the upgrade.

Over in Taunton, I think Coombe Hill has a serious chance of upsetting the fav. A quick fire double is what I'll be hoping for today. Any thoughts gents?

Thanks
    No bet at Ludlow but Foynes Island is far too big @ 12/1 to overturn a 6 length defeat by Logans Run last time out, priced it up last night and had FI in at 8/1 with Logans @ 7/2 so have had to back Foynes Island given the weight turn around and different conditions they'll be racing in today. There's not much between them on the pointing ratings either and strictly on those Foynes Island should beat Logans Run.

The price about Coombe Hill looks about right but given the respective difference between my price about CH and Logans Run and the prices they are with the bookmakers I've taken some of the 11/10 about Coombe Hill (now evs) in a match bet with Ladbrokes. It should be a good race either way and the blinkers applied to Mustangsallyrally add a seperate angle to the race.

At Ludlow though I've said it's a no bet race if I were forced to bet it'd be a place lay of Our Jasper who hasn't won in a long time and is taking on some decent opponents today. Lorna Brooke was injured in her fall from The General Lee last time out and so Arthur Moore's son the highly capable JD Moore (John Daniel) takes over in the plate having found immediate success since re-locating yet again to the UK (had plenty of success in the p2p sphere riding for the Alner's 10 or so years back) and he's a positive jockey booking for TGL.

Good luck to all today

Martin
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Probably e/w on The General Lee in the Ludlow race; partly for the very reason of jockeyship Martin mentioned (JD Moore won the national novice riders' title in 1998 and is still better than many 14 years on), and partly as TGL has tended to need a run or two back before hitting his straps fully - he won over C&D on his third outing of 2010-11, for example.

TGL's win on seasonal debut in 2009-10 does nothing to dent that assertion - that was a two-runner contest at Alphraham that he'd have won without being anywhere near his best.

gc
    "It's one of the little men from the village" - Monty Python's Meaning of Life

Thanks
    Look up JD Moore's ride on Shin A Vee at the 2009/10 Punchestown Festival in the Bishopscourt Cup I think it was - took the horse the scenic route all the way round and he won with his head in his chest, amazing ride from a top (and still underated jockey). Just wish I'd been at Ampton earlier in the season when he rode one of Gordon Elliott's old horses and he was announced as "Jonny Moore" and a lot of folk thought he was a young Novice rider .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good call with Divine Intavention, folks.

..........and Coombe Hill.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 1st March 2012 at 6:28 PM.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Well done Divine Intavention and Coombe Hill backers!!

Up and down there for me - disappointed that Foynes Island couldn't get up for third, somewhat ironically a good friend of mine rode the horse who did finish third in the end and I thought it was a great ride on a horse who has jumping problems to get him settled and jumping and he ran on strongly on the run-in. Hopefully Kevin Jones will pick up more and better rides in these and other Amateur Rider races

As you'll have gathered from the above Foynes Island finished fourth, the race worked out well enough and he got a fair bit closer to Logans Run this time but didn't manage to pass him. The main bet in the race the match bet came in fairly easily though so that's a positive just disappointing that we couldn't land some E/W money to top it up.

At Ludlow The General Lee ran a strange race and was detached down the back but ran on well in the straight, though ultimately filled the spot that all good E/W bets fill ie. fourth.

Divine Intavention is still improving and there was talk of him heading across the sea for a 2 1/2m HC later in the season but he looks like a lovely type to send to Aintree IMO and he and Mark Wall have already had a cracking season.

Our Jasper was unplaced but ran well for a long way despite some fairly hefty jumping errors so disappointed I didn't place-lay him in the end but you can't win them all

Martin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Good call with Divine Intavention, folks.

..........and Coombe Hill.
    A nice day's work! Took the double at early prices working out at slightly over 10/1...it'll never last!

Thanks
    Well done Treff - stick to HC's with us

Thanks
    Plenty of pointing action this weekend and I'll be at Lawney Hill's local track Kingston Blount on Saturday and at one of my local tracks here in the SE (Godstone). For anyone based in London the latter is a great little course and easy to get to being located just inside (IIRC) the M25.

I've previously mentioned Harbour Court in glowing terms on here and as expected he's entered in the Intermediate on Saturday at Kingston Blount alongside another Charing winner in Phil York's Ringa Bay. Worth noting there was little in it on the clock on their runs on 19th Feb though there were far more runners in Ringa Bay's event.

Godstone could play host to formerly useful Chasers in Ireland in the shape of Knock On The Head and Shazand who are another pair who ran at Charing (KOTH ran into a place and Shazand was badly hampered and PU). Also at Godstone the ex-Irish Maiden winner Bigasabishop could make his second UK start having PU mid-way through a Restricted at Marks Tey two weekends ago - he jumped off in rear on that occasion and was reportedly pulled up due to having had a breathing op during the Summer and for his own welfare. A more positive ride will see him to far better effect on Sunday.

Ballinla who IMO is a cert for a Maiden when stepped up to 3m is entered at Larkhill in the 2 1/2m Maiden on Saturday whilst other good youngsters out this weekend could be Elvis The King (Ampton), What A Laugh (2/2 this season and a HC winner in the making at Bangor's P2P course) and Keppol's Hill (Charlton Horethorne).

Martin

Thanks
    Hope to see Keppol's Hill on Sunday, Martin, if I do end up doing the racereading there - all TBC. It'd make sense, as I'm working at Larkhill on Saturday and Charlton Horethorne is barely half an hour away from there, but that's a decision to be made by another Martin, not me. :-D

gc

PS You totally dodged a bullet not going Pointing on Sunday, you jammy get - my racereading notes for Tweseldown needed a day and a half on the radiator!!
    Last edited by graysonscolumn; 6th March 2012 at 3:47 PM.
    "It's one of the little men from the village" - Monty Python's Meaning of Life

Thanks
    Darren mentioned that it was a bit cold over at the other place and think my mate is still thawing out from his rides down there!!

Garthorpe not much better according to the lads - 3 books left at the end and only 13 or so to start with.

KB always a good meeting and Aim For The Stars is entered up too, that plus a good commentator on the microphone should help matters too

Martin
    ps. Will look forward to receiving the Loose Leaf notes on Friday then

Thanks
    A somewhat disappointing Novices HC up at Catterick today and the most likely winner for me is the Houldey/Mansell horse Mister Kay Bee though as an acquaintance pointed out he's often ridden in spurs (which they can't use under rules) and whilst he can be awkward at times, reluctant to race etc. he brings the best form into the race with his defeat of Ice Cool Benny and co at Whitwick Manor in a fast time on 18th Feb reads very well in the context of this race. I'll be backing him at 19.5 on Betfair and also for a place.

I can't say I'm a massive Scrum V fan and he was lucky to hold on IMO at Duncombe Park when the rallying Dark Moon (previously a winner) just failed to get back up to beat him over 3m, the time was relatively slow for a race of this nature and he's too short in the betting at around 7/2 and for that reason I'd even be tempted to lay Scrum V in the match bet with MKB at around 1/3 on Betfair.

Of the others I can see Racing Ace going well in this again, the yard have won it in the recent past and this fellow was placed in the race a couple of seasons back, the absence is a slight concern but he should go well again at 14/1 whilst the money for Chef De Cour is interesting and I have to say I had him in a lot shorter when I priced this up last night, the step up in trip should suit and though he's not won as yet I can see him running into a place providing things drop his way, he's currently 40/1 with Bet365 (28/1 biggest elsewhere).

Anyone else having a go today?

Martin

Thanks
    I have backed Monogram to win. Jock gets on well with the horse and his form with Harmony Brig is noteworthy in as poor a race as this. He is short for what he has achieved but that indicates how poor the race is, small stakes win for me.

Thanks
    Unlucky there Trefflich - Monogram finished well which I wasn't expecting with stamina doubts etc.

Interesting ride on Mister Kay Bee - quite why he let them all up his inner on the hometurn is beyond me but with Scrum V falling another match bet copped

Thanks
    I wasn't too heavily involved Martin but at least I got a run for my money! Will the Foxhunters crown be staying in England or Ireland this year?

Thanks
    Hoping it stays in the UK as already involved with My Flora and will be investing in a couple of others at bigger prices on Betfair on the day I hope.

Count Salazar is a horse who's always impressed me from Ireland though - ran well in two hot Maidens last year (including behind Salsify at Dromahane) and there've been plenty of winners come out of those affairs whilst he was impressive in winning his Winners race in the Autumn. He's progressed to take a Hunter Chase and an Open to qualify for Cheltenham but I'd imagine he's entered up this weekend as they think he'll be balloted out (and probably needs softer ground) but he's one to keep an eye on for future years.

Martin

Thanks
    Hope you have your studying caps on tonight Jeremy and Martin! Plenty to get our teeth into tomorrow...surely we can get a couple of good uns??

Thanks
    I'll be getting stuck into those later tonight Trefflich - travelling back down to Brighton tomorrow so will be relying on the mobile phone for the bets for tomorrow, looking at the Sporting Life tissue prices there should be plenty of value to be had IMO.

Martin