Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585909192939495
Results 1,881 to 1,896 of 1896

Thread: The Pointing Thread

Thanks
    If not Martin maybe Jinny J could do a preview please?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    If not Martin maybe Jinny J could do a preview please?
    Request seconded!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I will have a look but my form guide is obviously based more around the Southern horses.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Thanks. It does give an added dimension to watching it.

Thanks
    OK I have finally managed to have a look through. I started last night just before I had a point to point zoom meeting on next year’s Fixture List.....it went on for THREE hours! (Just so you are aware quite how much I put into this game....on a voluntary level too!)

Race 1
    I am a big fan on Envoye Special and Chris Barbers horses have been running really well this year. He’s got course form and he won easily last time. He should also like this ground. Never dismiss anything trained by J O’Shea as he’s a proper shrewdie but I don’t think Envious Editors form is as strong. Fan Club Aulmes has fair form albeit in Novice Riders races which are sometimes a bit false. He did beat Footloose earlier in the year who’s won three since so that’s decent.

Race 2
    Likewise Famous Clermont I have loved for a long time. Barber and Biddick have handled this former quirky horse really well. He beat Virak recently which is good form. I think Sine Nomine maybe a decent price and is really improving. Latenightfumble has won races with small fields easily but comes from the Ellis/Andrews combo. Minimalistic maybe an each way thought.

Race 3
    Moratorium has won 4 this season and Biddick takes the mount. Trio for Rio did win this last year and connections know what they’re doing. I’m Wiser Now was third here last year and has first time blinkers to sharpen his sloppy jumping up. He’s also go James King on board, the current champion.

Race 4
    Caryto des Brosses is favourite and probably every right to be, as he was only just beaten here last year. He’s been in great form this year. Salvatore beat Porlock Bay in a HC but PB had respiratory infection wasn’t right. He’s been placed here before but his last effort was disappointing. Mighty Stowaway looks obvious on paper on his third at the festival but his pilot for me is a bit lacking. Fifty Shades pilot on the other hand, I think is a talent and the horse is consistent.

Race 5
    From what I gather the fav is a good thing! Kalabaloo won this three years ago and again comes from the Ellis/Andrews yard.

Race 6
    Shantou Flyer is top on form for his marvellously enthusiastic owner. Captain Drake is trained and ridden by Bradley Gibbs who tends to strike fear into the bookies when he comes on a Wessex raid from Wales so I wouldn’t underestimate him. I have been underwhelmed by Give me a Copper this season. Law of Gold should run well and I have a slight ew thought about Gran Paradiso.

Race 7
    Stratagem again is another Nicholls/ Maxwell combi. I wouldn’t put anyone off him but I quite like Wagner. The trainer I really rate, Matt Hampton and he’s a decent pilot. He’s also replacing the owners son who has ridden the horse all year which tells me they fancy it. Cousin Pascal for J O’Shea won the Aintree Foxhunters last year and ran really well in it this year.

As I say I don’t know a lot of them as they are out of my Area so it’s hard to assess and compare form. But it depends on how they jump....many pointers find Cheltenham just too intimidating. And also many riders do too so it’s often best to look at the more experienced ones.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

2017diary (29th April 2022), edgt (29th April 2022), Grey (29th April 2022), moehat (29th April 2022), tiggers1972 (29th April 2022)

Thanks
    If you want any further views, go on Jumping for Fun forum which is the main Pointing forum.
    Last edited by jinnyj; 29th April 2022 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks
    Also good in depth analysis here:
    www.forum.punterslounge.com “Cheltenham Hunter Chase night”

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    If you want any further views, go on Jumping for Fun forum which is the main Pointing forum.
    Who needs JFF when you've got jinnyj to mark your card? (e.g. Race 1 I am a big fan on Envoye Special )
    Last edited by 2017diary; 29th April 2022 at 4:54 PM.

Thanks
    Why thank you....

Have to say my idolatry got bigger when I saw Will Biddick was on (presume Martin McIntyre stuck in the M5 crash) as he’s just such a great jockey amongst theses ranks. Don’t get me wrong, I love Fly as MM is known but WB is a different league.

Thanks
    Well sorry I didn’t tip you the 100-1 shot! It’s had more trainers due to its (shall we say ever so slightly difficult) owner who now trains it. But George Hiscock the jockey is one of the nicest guys you could meet so very pleased for him.

Thanks
    Well sorry I didn’t tip you the 100-1 shot!
    Just not good enough!

Thanks

Thanks
    The annoying thing is I backed the 125/1 shot because, from memory, it used to be trained by Pam Sly and I follow her horses.

Thanks
    Really, really lovely story from the Pointing world yesterday. I was reporting at one of our new local courses in Wessex near Dulverton on the edge of Exmoor.

Anyway there was a Novice Riders race and this young lad won on the very appropriately named Aheadfullofdreams. He was having only his third ride and won by half the track giving a celebration as he passed the post a bit like Barzalona on Pour Moi in the Derby. When he came back into the winners enclosure, his mum was crying etc. They were completely non-horsey but aged 6 or 7 he told them he was going to be a jockey...he used to get them to drive back and forth past Lloyd’s Bank so he could look at the black horse logo! 18 months ago he posted a request on Facebook asking if a trainer would take him on and this lovely guy called Dean Summersby (v talented) contacted him. Dean actually said aside to me that the kid is seriously talented and a complete natural. So Dean bought this horse or rather bought it for his parents who had owned a couple of horses but never had a winner.
    Imagine the elation and emotions to see you 16 year old son realise his dream on a horse you own which is also your first winner! It was such a wonderful moment. I actually felt a bit choked interviewing them with his mum crying! He’s off to the British Racing School in August and going to David Pipes from there. I imagine he will end up doing OK.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

edgt (2nd May 2022), Grey (2nd May 2022)

Thanks
    Any idea how we stop this double posting? Happens every time for me.
    Last edited by jinnyj; 2nd May 2022 at 8:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really, really lovely story from the Pointing world yesterday. I was reporting at one of our new local courses in Wessex near Dulverton on the edge of Exmoor.

Anyway there was a Novice Riders race and this young lad won on the very appropriately named Aheadfullofdreams. He was having only his third ride and won by half the track giving a celebration as he passed the post a bit like Barzalona on Pour Moi in the Derby. When he came back into the winners enclosure, his mum was crying etc. They were completely non-horsey but aged 6 or 7 he told them he was going to be a jockey...he used to get them to drive back and forth past Lloyd’s Bank so he could look at the black horse logo! 18 months ago he posted a request on Facebook asking if a trainer would take him on and this lovely guy called Dean Summersby (v talented) contacted him. Dean actually said aside to me that the kid is seriously talented and a complete natural. So Dean bought this horse or rather bought it for his parents who had owned a couple of horses but never had a winner.
    Imagine the elation and emotions to see you 16 year old son realise his dream on a horse you own which is also your first winner! It was such a wonderful moment. I actually felt a bit choked interviewing them with his mum crying! He’s off to the British Racing School in August and going to David Pipes from there. I imagine he will end up doing OK.
    What a lovely story, jinnyj. It’s going to be endlessly recounted when he wins the Gold Cup