Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pointing Thread

Thanks
    De Faoithesdream contests the opening race at Taunton tomorrow on his debut for Evan Williams. He's one of the few horses who's Pointing runs are available to view on Youtube - probably due to his sale at Brightwells Cheltenham a couple of months ago but here it is for anyone who wishes to see a front running performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ncD0...7fFAAAAAAAABAA

It's worth noting that Betterthanalright, According To Trev and Gale Force Oscar have all won since whilst Nearlybroke who was Pulled Up has also scored in recent months.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    It's uk stuff all western area,it certainly not sad as it gives a break and a chance to get some freh air,finding horses that are 25ls better than the rest running at evens doesn't make me feel to sad.And you can even get a decent bet on as well,they even take steves bets which amazes me,i don't really follow it i go for the day out.If i have a bet i will back some of steves picks but i need a lot of convincing.

Thanks
    Very true Gigilo - the South West is about the only area that's fully covered by the video recording firms (mainly West Country Videos and David Jones Media), further North it's harder to making notes is vital and the Loose Leaf is good for letting you know which horses have been given an "easy" first time out etc.

There's always some good betting opportunities at points - I was at Godstone with Swedish Chef and managed to back a horse that's proven on soft at 14/1 for the Novice Riders race, it turned out to be Brendan Powell Jnr's first winner and I swear he'll never ride a better timed race in his life (well not one on such an enigmatic horse as Flowersoftherarest).

Martin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Stamp View Post

There's always some good betting opportunities at points - I was at Godstone with Swedish Chef and managed to back a horse that's proven on soft at 14/1 for the Novice Riders race, it turned out to be Brendan Powell Jnr's first winner and I swear he'll never ride a better timed race in his life (well not one on such an enigmatic horse as Flowersoftherarest).

Martin
    Thinking back it was a very mature ride for one so young - I should of realised then we had a good young jockey coming through the ranks and taken advantage of the fact. I still recall the race fondly as he must have been 20L+ behind jumping the 3rd last but looked to be the only one with forward momentum and cut through the field like a knife through butter. Great memories and would love to do it again, but have the problem of being designated weekend family chauffeur to sort out.

Thanks
    I'll be up at a few of them this year - including some non-Godstone ones too and Krizon is likely to be attending more SE Points too this season.

He was different class that day and some of the jockeys he beat weren't shabby either - most notably Freddie Mitchell and the horses too, including the now retired legend Carryonharry.

Martin

Thanks
    De Faoithesdream contests the opening race at Taunton tomorrow on his debut for Evan Williams. He's one of the few horses who's Pointing runs are available to view on Youtube - probably due to his sale at Brightwells Cheltenham a couple of months ago but here it is for anyone who wishes to see a front running performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ncD0...7fFAAAAAAAABAA

It's worth noting that Betterthanalright, According To Trev and Gale Force Oscar have all won since whilst Nearlybroke who was Pulled Up has also scored in recent months.
    Had a few quid each way on this horse and he out ran his odds but I did think Moloney gave up very quickly on him. He should win a novice hurdle as this was a good race.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Thanks
    Agree Aragorn - he pulled hard throughout and at times was hanging quite badly.

Think letting him get on with it is the best way to ride the horse - backed him at triple figures and got out IR so no harm done but a nice horse for the future.

Thanks
    Definitely got an engine Irish. Looks a long term chase prospect to me.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Thanks
    He does - I'm waiting for the runner-up from his Maiden (Betterthanalright) to get a handicap mark, think he has his third run for a mark at Tramore tomorrow.

Thanks
    I just thought I'd be a bit of an anorak and say that CEDRUS LIBANI means Cedars of Lebanon - he's out of CEDAR CASTLE so that's quite cute naming. The huge, spreading cedar forms the focal point of Lebanon's national flag, against a white background topped and bottomed by red bands. Tan-ta-rah!
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    I was at Godstone with Swedish Chef and managed to back a horse that's proven on soft at 14/1 for the Novice Riders race, it turned out to be Brendan Powell Jnr's first winner and I swear he'll never ride a better timed race in his life (well not one on such an enigmatic horse as Flowersoftherarest).
    Patrick Smith was none too shabby on the same quirky animal at Cottenham yesterday - one half of the double which comprised the 17-year-old's first two winning rides in Points.

It's a shame that the "So You Think You Know About Pointing?" quiz was discontinued in the Annual a few years back, as the fact that Smith rode his first winner the season after training his first winner (Shannon Bob at Hackwood Park last March) is something few can lay claim to having done, far fewer whilst still in their teens.

Flowersoftherarest, meanwhile, is one of about 15 that trainer David Phelan has got in this term - the remainder are mostly maidens, mostly intended for sale, and will be tasked with trying to help Phelan help Smith secure the national novice riders' title this season.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)
    "It's one of the little men from the village" - Monty Python's Meaning of Life

Thanks
    David Phelan also has the enigmatic Tushana who's already worn cheekpieces, been carried out and virtually pulled herself up in a three race UK career so far having transferred from Ireland in the Summer.

Will update on the Irish scene in here too for anyone interested - Betterthanalright was heavily backed from 25's into 7/1 for his Maiden Hurdle yesterday at Tramore, he was very unlucky to place prior to his jockey failing to weigh in.

Gigginstown House Stud's War Correspondent was overhauled late on by Ballybough Pat who was seen to goo, effect after the last and looked a potentially very decent staying chaser. Ballyheigue Castle (runner-up to todays impressive bumper winner The Westener Boy LTO) was travelling as well as anything upsides the front running War Correspondent when coming down two out and in the process slightly hampering Ballybough Pat. I'd be surprised if Ballyheigue Castle wasn't up to making his mark in a bumper in the not too distant future as he travels very well in his races. War Correspondent will also be breaking his Maiden in the near future - probably next time out and represents another string in the bow of up and coming sire Westerner (already sire of G3 winner Katkovana over jumps and G2 flat winner Never Forget in addition to The Westener Boy, Blossom Gate and other useful pointers/bumper performers).

In the Open at the same track (Dromahane) last years Champion Hunter Chaser Salsify looked to have sealed the race going on before the last but was overhauled by the late run of the formerly useful hurdler Footy Facts, only seven went to post but they included the useful Hunter Chaser Rudi Trucker and Tony Martin's Northern Alliance.

Thanks
    Nearly a treble for the Ferguson yard too Jeremy - good to see Stress run well in the Restricted too for purely selfish reasons and also Accessallareas take the short Maiden - surely one of the few pointers to transfer from the UK p2p scene to the Irish and then back again?

Thanks
    ...Accessallareas also becoming, of course, yet another subsequent winner from that divided maiden on day two of the Barbury meeting (division two of which produced its third subsequent winner alone in the form of Simply Game at Ideford Arch on Tuesday).

Some early-season fixtures simply attract fields pregnant with horses who'll find opportunities in the near future, and some don't. Barbury's two-dayer generally does. I bet the Harkaway Club meeting at Chaddesley Corbett the other day will as well.

Accessallareas is actually enjoying his second stint with Sarah-Jayne Davies and Jeremy Mahot, Martin. He only ever left at all as he was part-owned by an Irishman first time around who moved him across the sea subsequently. When the opportunity came to buy him back into the yard, the Leominster double-act did so.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)
    Last edited by graysonscolumn; 1st January 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks for updating - his trip to Ireland wasn't exactly a success and it has to be said he's done far better for Sarah-Jayne Davies than she did over the sea.

Whitfield, CC and Barbury have been the best quality meetings so far - gutted I couldn't make CC the second time I've been thwarted for this meeting in two years. What A Laugh's Maiden looked very very strong on the clock and with the runner-up scoring since and him scoring at CC last week I'd imagine there'll be more winners coming out of the race later in the season than just the current ones (the two placed horses).

From the first division Toby Lerone looked a lovely type though took the whole straight to really get on top of Accessallareas and looks worth taking on if he contests a bumper to me whilst he could be a decent staying chaser in time. Would be surprised if Howareyougoingon wasn't upu to scoring in the coming months and of the Whitfield Maiden's the Vicky Collins trained Peterman looks capable of breaking his Maiden at a stayers track when seen out again despite him being a relative late comer to the sport.

Rich Live looks capable of going on to better things from Whitfield and won very well indeed IMO whilst the third Sizing Ireland I'd like to put in every Maiden I bet in purely so I can oppose him as IMO he's a horse with serious physical/mental problems.

Martin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, both.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    the third Sizing Ireland I'd like to put in every Maiden I bet in purely so I can oppose him as IMO he's a horse with serious physical/mental problems.
    ...which may or may not have prevented him from doing any better than fourth in division one of the short maiden at Cottenham on Saturday, though perhaps in mitigation this time Accessallareas had already stretched the field beyond repair from quite some way out.

I'd need to see a replay before concluding with any conviction whether he pigged it or not - luckily Westcountry Videos were in attendance so footage will exist.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)
    Last edited by graysonscolumn; 2nd January 2012 at 4:06 AM.

Thanks
    Cheers Jeremy - didn't realise Sizing Ireland ran on Saturday. Here's hoping he turns up again at Larkhill though I'd imagine that's quite a big price.

Thanks
    Sad to report a couple of losses from the Pointing ranks over the turn of the New Year, and neither in racing incidents, at that.

Nile Moon, the former Howard Johnson and Ann Hamilton inmate who scored three victories last spring for Lucy Sutcliffe (culminating in the novice riders' championship final at Tabley in May), was reported dead over the weekend having suffered a ruptured abdomen at home.

The death has also been announced of Strong Weld, who suffered a fatal injury whilst out hunting with the Ledbury. Like Nile Moon seen to best effect latterly as a front-runner, Rhys Jenkins' pride and joy had won 16 Points and a beginners' chase, including four Points in 2011 at the age of 14.

Rest easy, both.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Thanks
    Afternoon folks,

Could I ask a large favour of someone with a complete collection of Mackenzie/Selby/Harris annuals?

I’ve started riding and hunting an ex-pointer called Gerald’s Request (born in 2000, by Overbury I think). I don’t suspect he was much of a racehorse, but I’m curious to see what he has done and what was written about him. If anyone has the time, would you mind looking him up for me? If I can find out what he’s done and what area he raced in I might be able to track down a photo of him racing, which would be a nice present for his owner who is kind enough to let me out on him.

On a separate topic entirely, is anyone going to Larkhill on Saturday. I think I shall be there – any horses entered I should look out for?