Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pointing Thread

Thanks
    Hi Benny, I can't help with the comments as I'm at work and my M/S/H's are at home, but I can give an overview of his form.

Geralds Request (b g 2000 Overbury - Entre Girl [Entre Nous]) was qualified with the Pentyrch in Wales. He ran 17 times between 2005 and 2009 with the following results: 1 x 3rd (Div II of the Lower Machen Open Maiden, 6th May 2006); 1 x 4th; 3 x 5th; 2 x F; 1 x R; 9 x PU, so unfortunately your suspicions about his ability are pretty much spot on.

I hope you and he are having fun hunting together.

Thanks
    According to the RP database he had one 3rd placing from 17 PTP's so can't imagine any comments are going to be too complimentary!
    Last edited by Arkwright; 3rd January 2012 at 6:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks guys. He's great fun out hunting though only has one style of jumping - flat out - which makes for some interesting times!

Thanks
    I'll be at Larkhill on Saturday Benny if you fancy meeting up - just doing the form now, there's a couple of well bred Richard Barber (Paul Nicholls) newcomers and a relative of Big Bucks in Bucks Bond who'd have waltzed the Winners race here last year but for unshipping Will Biddick at the second last when cruising - he's unraced since though. Amongst the others entered are Gwanako, Chapoturgeon, Hills Of Aran, Kicks For Free, Palypso De Creek, Turko, Bay Cherry, According To John, Cedrus Libani, Knowhere and Naunton Brook.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Good grief! That's a real rollcall of the frequently great and good! GWANAKO! KNOWHERE! NAUNTON BROOK! Top gee-gees, still alive and going strong. Can't wait for Charing, Stamperino, to cheer me up and give me a good outing.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Update's from today at Larkhill - great racing but sadly marred by a couple of fatalities and injuries to a few jockeys, Tom Bellamny is ok but being kept in hospital overnight though still waiting for news on Jamie Jenkinson and Suzy Berry with the latter airlifted to hospital after a fall at the last (which continues to cause major problems) in the Ladies.

Ex-rules horses running today included Knowhere who unseated Rowley Bowen-Jones 4 out in the Mens Open on his first ride, the horse wasn't making any impression on the leaders at the time but had given his pilot a cracking spin.

The disappointment from last months Barbury meeting Description has moved from Jenny Gordon to the Hill's and though still in the same ownership the exceptional Gina Andrews took over from the owner and they duly obliged beating the Richard Barber trained Gwanako (who was IMO the pick of the paddock, ridden by Gina's sister Bridget).

Kicks For Free ran but didn't appear to see out the trip today whilst it's unlikely that the ground was soft enough for Palypso De Creek to repeat his soft ground demolition of a stronger field than he took on at Whitfield last month. Turko ran very well for a long way fading late on whilst Naunton Brook appears to need softer ground and a genuine stamina test, surely a possible for the 3m 5f race at Dunthrop in a couple of weeks time which IIRC he won last year.

According To John took the Mens Open and was a cut above a very decent field and he looks more than capable of taking a Hunter Chase and contesting the Cheltenham Foxhunters too though whether he'd be good enough to cope with the likes of Zemsky is another matter entirely.

As for Big Bucks' nephew Bucks Bond was having just his third start in as many seasons and though he looked fit and well in the paddock and was well supported in the ring (eventually going off 4/6ish) he failed to complete the course - exiting the race roughly a mile from the finish somewhere in the dip as they go out of sight for 200 yards or so, not sure how exactly Will Biddick came off but he was on board when they went into it and off when they came out but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

There was a large Barber youngster presence at the track today with a runner or two in each of the Maiden's with Spider Monkey (owned by Jared Sullivan) running out an impressive enough winner of the first division under Will Biddick whilst I'm The Decider (Jack Barber) made it a double for the yard in the second division.

One for the future could be the 5yo who won the Restricted (winners of one) today in the shape of Hincheslea Moor who had been led out unsold at Brightwells Cheltenham last year for £8,000 and had attracted interest from Donald McCain amongst others and won this with a fair bit in hand despite appearing to carry plenty of condition in the paddock - he looks more than capable of going on to take a bumper uner rules and carve out a successful career in that sphere given this kept in tact his 100% record when completing the course (he'd fallen on debut on his only other start).

Great days racing and hopefully more of the same at Wadebridge tomorrow

Martin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Excellent write up, Martin; keep 'em coming!

What is the state of the ring at these British points, so to speak?

Edit: with regards to overround, ability to have a decent bet etc.
    Last edited by trackside528; 8th January 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks
    Good stuff, our Pointing Correspondent!
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Better than under rules TS in terms of getting a bet on in the ring and the books are far more willing to take a view. It all depends on the bookmaker though - some would take £200 or so at 7/2 or 4's no problem and others would be reluctant to take £50 at the same price though it all depends on the area - I've only been racing in the Sandhurst area, South East, South Midlands, Midlands and East Anglia, can say you can get a chunk on in East Anglia as we went for a touch with our fella at the opening EA meet of the 2010/11 meeting though it did force the price from 7/2 down to 4/5. Yorkshire is meant to be a fairly decent area for getting a few quid on though with the Greenall's and Easterby's up there books are alawys wary of the various jockey bookings with Easterby's grandchildren riding a number of the good horses in the area whilst I'm told the North isn't bad either.

As I say though books are far more willing to take a view on a horse and go top price, or stand-out, for example I was taking 10/1 stand-out price about one in the Restricted yesterday when it was 6's and 7's elsewhere, under rules you'd be lucky to get 13/2 about the same horse (PU having not been suited to the track).

Generally books will open up very tight % wise and push horses out as the money fails to come - for example they opened up 2/1 about the second favourite (Trifollet) in the second division of the Maiden, though by the off 7/2 was freely available.

Martin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thank you again, Martin, very informative.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Stamp View Post
    Update's from today at Larkhill - great racing but sadly marred by a couple of fatalities and injuries to a few jockeys, Tom Bellamny is ok but being kept in hospital overnight though still waiting for news on Jamie Jenkinson and Suzy Berry with the latter airlifted to hospital after a fall at the last (which continues to cause major problems) in the Ladies.

Ex-rules horses running today included Knowhere who unseated Rowley Bowen-Jones 4 out in the Mens Open on his first ride, the horse wasn't making any impression on the leaders at the time but had given his pilot a cracking spin.

The disappointment from last months Barbury meeting Description has moved from Jenny Gordon to the Hill's and though still in the same ownership the exceptional Gina Andrews took over from the owner and they duly obliged beating the Richard Barber trained Gwanako (who was IMO the pick of the paddock, ridden by Gina's sister Bridget).

Kicks For Free ran but didn't appear to see out the trip today whilst it's unlikely that the ground was soft enough for Palypso De Creek to repeat his soft ground demolition of a stronger field than he took on at Whitfield last month. Turko ran very well for a long way fading late on whilst Naunton Brook appears to need softer ground and a genuine stamina test, surely a possible for the 3m 5f race at Dunthrop in a couple of weeks time which IIRC he won last year.

According To John took the Mens Open and was a cut above a very decent field and he looks more than capable of taking a Hunter Chase and contesting the Cheltenham Foxhunters too though whether he'd be good enough to cope with the likes of Zemsky is another matter entirely.

As for Big Bucks' nephew Bucks Bond was having just his third start in as many seasons and though he looked fit and well in the paddock and was well supported in the ring (eventually going off 4/6ish) he failed to complete the course - exiting the race roughly a mile from the finish somewhere in the dip as they go out of sight for 200 yards or so, not sure how exactly Will Biddick came off but he was on board when they went into it and off when they came out but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

There was a large Barber youngster presence at the track today with a runner or two in each of the Maiden's with Spider Monkey (owned by Jared Sullivan) running out an impressive enough winner of the first division under Will Biddick whilst I'm The Decider (Jack Barber) made it a double for the yard in the second division.

One for the future could be the 5yo who won the Restricted (winners of one) today in the shape of Hincheslea Moor who had been led out unsold at Brightwells Cheltenham last year for £8,000 and had attracted interest from Donald McCain amongst others and won this with a fair bit in hand despite appearing to carry plenty of condition in the paddock - he looks more than capable of going on to take a bumper uner rules and carve out a successful career in that sphere given this kept in tact his 100% record when completing the course (he'd fallen on debut on his only other start).

Great days racing and hopefully more of the same at Wadebridge tomorrow

Martin
    Suzy Berry is OK apparently after looking not good after her fall. Shes had a CT scan at Southamton where they took her and it is clear so its just a matter of recovering now. That last fence is a real problem and they need to sort it out promptly.

Bucks Bond was unlucky (according to my pilot who was in behind) - a horse fell in front and Biddick had no choice but to unseat.

Some very very good racing with huge fields. I think the ground was suprisingly quick hence the fallers (only 2 finished in the second div of the conditions race) and those pulling up sore (which mine miraculously wasn't!) - 3 of the first 4 in Div 1 of the maiden were dismounted including the very taking Spider Monkey. Sadly the organisation was not the best and I'd imagine Mr Barber was more than a little vocal about it!

I had a pretty profitable day backing Spider Monkey, I'm The Decider & Hinchelsea Moor and 2 seconds (but backed to win) from only 6 bets - fortunately I didn't splash out on a new hat as my horse at home had ripped his outdoor rug to shreds in my absence
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Naunton Brook appears to need softer ground and a genuine stamina test, surely a possible for the 3m 5f race at Dunthrop in a couple of weeks time which IIRC he won last year.
    Nearly - he won the Lord Ashton Of Hyde (4m, and the season's first "Classic") at Dunthrop last year.

The race over 3m5f on the same card is the ladies open, which I'm insistent should be the next port of call for Gidam Gidam - few other ladies opens on the calendar are going to represent enough of a stamina test for him. If Heather Kemp is not well enough to owner-ride him on the day, I'd not be surprised if Claire Hart deputised again.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)
    "It's one of the little men from the village" - Monty Python's Meaning of Life

Thanks
    According To John took the Mens Open and was a cut above a very decent field and he looks more than capable of taking a Hunter Chase and contesting the Cheltenham Foxhunters too
    This will be the target for him, I'm advised by my correspondent on the track yesterday, assuming they can secure another win with him in time. Do note, however, that he won this in receipt of 7lb from the apparently more exposed (in this sphere) Mustangsallyrally, so the hope has to be the latter has improved appreciably for the handling of the useful-looking Martin Cooney - not impossible.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Thanks

Bet that'll up his asking price now if James Young is tempted to try selling him once again - dispatching the biggest field to line up in a single Pointing race since day one of the PPORC fixture at Barbury exactly three years earlier!

That win was good reward for Young and his staff, who have done basically everything to prepare the gelding for racing - when sold to Young out of Jo Mann's operation at Brightwells in June 2010, he was apparently a still-unbroken 5yo.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Thanks
    can say you can get a chunk on in East Anglia as we went for a touch with our fella at the opening EA meet of the 2010/11 meeting though it did force the price from 7/2 down to 4/5.

You do have to pick and choose your way through the courses in East Anglia, Martin. Cottenham is, as you rightly say, a good place to get a stack on - especially those early, pre-Christmas meetings where touches are attempted by connections of horses believed race-fit despite the lack (in many cases) of recent match practice.

Conversely the aptitude / stinginess of the Marks Tey bookies has long been deemed worthy of comment in Mackenzie and Harris (and antecedents). The comment about them in the course's write-up read "bad bookies" for about 20 years until the mid-2000s, when it was changed - to "bookies (hopeless)"!

I don't know what your experiences of Larkhill were from a shovelling-on perspective yesterday, Martin, but I've mostly found the Wessex bookies to be pretty competitive on my (up to now) infrequent forays into that Area. Sometimes it just requires one pitch in the line to serve it up to the remainder and almost goad them into following suit - a gent calling himself "Wessex Bookie" did that for every race when I went to Ston Easton four years ago, to the credit of both him and those peers of his who took up the challenge.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)
    Last edited by graysonscolumn; 8th January 2012 at 4:47 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Bucks Bond was unlucky (according to my pilot who was in behind) - a horse fell in front and Biddick had no choice but to unseat.
    Correct - Cossack Dancer fell at the 12th and wiped him out, so Bucks Bond absolutely cannot be blamed for his exit yesterday. He remains a really taking prospect if none the worse for the experience.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwright View Post
    According to the RP database he had one 3rd placing from 17 PTP's so can't imagine any comments are going to be too complimentary!

From the 2010 Annual, the last in which he appeared:

"Can show speed, but has a habit of ignoring the fences, and does not look willing when push comes to shove".

That could have been a whole lot more barbed, especially considering he had a Mackenzie and Harris long handicap rating of 8-0 (very low indeed) and a squiggle.

HTH,

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Thanks
    Wasn't having much on yesterday Jeremy but the bookmaker cut the price immediately as soon as I'd backed the horse in question.

Marks Tey normally gets some decent fields to be fair - disappointing the only time I've been but I'd imagine they'd already done their cash putting up evs about Doppio Movimento in the 148cm Pony Race before watching her stroll home a distance clear having had Alex Embiricos down at the start to help her jump off (had been slowly away at Horseheath). If they do this in points then it's no surprise they won't lay a bet

Was chatting to a friend who did a lot of work with Hincheslea Moor last year and was due to ride against him yesterday and he was full of praise for the horse, as I said there'll certainly be a lot more to come from him judged on his physical appearance yesterday and I'm excited for his next start though that's not likely to be until mid/end of Feb apparently.

In Ireland today Footy Facts maintained his unbeaten record this season when taking the Open at Aghballogue beating amongst others a 15yo Whyso Mayo and impressive Dromahane scorer from last November Rotorua.

Martin

Thanks
    Marks Tey normally gets some decent fields to be fair - disappointing the only time I've been
    Gulp - hope that wasn't last season's 11-runner meeting you went to, was it? The field sizes can be a bit on the thin side (even if there's quality among them) as the toughness and length of the course puts off many, but that Easter fixture was absolutely without precedent in that neck of the woods!

Still not the season's lowest, though, as we both know...

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Thanks
    No thankfully it was the one before which had around 35 runners I think (Essex National meeting).

That meeting at Easter was a con rather than a P2P meeting IMO. Though I did note the race reader that day did ok out of it

Would like to go back to MT tbh but maybe when we've had a bit of rain - I know parts of the track get particularly boggy but it looks a decent course to me and I think when the rain gets into it it could be a genuine stayers track.

Pleased to read at JFF that The Slug was "only" injured yesterday at Larkhill and also great to see that the Viewpoint site seems to be getting updated with far more regularity than it was last season - top marks to those at The Point To Point Company for that

Martin