Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Holidays

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with the weather , Luke.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Let us know how you get on, Luke. Thinking of heading there at some stage ourselves.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Stayed there twice before-nice quiet location,good kids club,the apartments are a decent size.Its family friendly but not as wild as the Quality Hotel in Clonakilty.Basically the parents get a few hours off when the kids do well supervised activities -downside is food is average.Kids love it.
    Colin -I have no expectations about the weather.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No, bad weather wouldn't be the end of the world but a bit of sun and no waterproofs do make things more enjoyable.

I'm hoping to get away to West Wales (Aberdyfi) late August and the weather will be a lottery.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Hamm: re Florence, just Google FLORENCE, ITALY, ATTRACTIONS - there's a nice site showing you the top ten, of which I'd say Boboli Gardens and Pitti Palace are absolutely worth your time. In the Palace, once the seat of the Medici family, there are eight or nine galleries devoted to separate arts and crafts of great beauty and antiquity. It's decades, rather than years, since I visited, but the time-honoured sights will be the same, I'm sure. Florentines are smart, bright, and pleased to be rather different from the stereotype of 'the Italian' - sophisticated and artistic, of course. The city is a marvel of terra-cotta tiling and the warmest colours of stone. Sitting out with your meal and a bottle of decent plonk will be a visual pleasure there. It's certainly a city I'd be happy to return to.

Rome is vastly noisy with its millions of blarting little Vespas, congested and jostling. Take real care with your wallet and if you leave your hotel, put your valuable in a safe. The Vespa snatchers can spy a decent watch at 100 metres and have it off your wrist and in a pawn shop in ten minutes! So much to see and do, it's exhausting, so perhaps corny but best (and probably safest) to join in with a tour bus doing the mandatory sights.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Hamm
    Perugia ,where Roddy is, is a great place for a base to do all places you mentioned if you have a car. There are also some nice lakes nearby where you can chill out in between sightseeing.

We spent some time further north this year taking in Piedmont and the Alpes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    No, bad weather wouldn't be the end of the world but a bit of sun and no waterproofs do make things more enjoyable.

I'm hoping to get away to West Wales (Aberdyfi) late August and the weather will be a lottery.
    Just back from Brynteg in North Wales - beautiful spot, loads to do, very friendly and the kids had a ball. Highly recommend it to anyone with kids under 5 or so.
    Last edited by On The Bridle; 18th July 2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Do not mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance nor my kindness for weakness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hamm, the Palio itself is mental if you're in the heart of the Campo, but it's a great place to be in the couple of days running-up to the race.

Try and see San Gimignano too if you get a chance.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, will have a look - what did you like about it?

Tout Seul - thanks. Do you mean Grey though? I unfortunately will be dependant on public transport.

How does Perugia compare with Bologna I wonder? That was the other place that looked interesting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
    Cheers, will have a look - what did you like about it?

Tout Seul - thanks. Do you mean Grey though? I unfortunately will be dependant on public transport.

How does Perugia compare with Bologna I wonder? That was the other place that looked interesting.
    TS might have meant me, Hamm, I was in Perugia last week, at the jazz festival.

It is a lovely town in its own right, sitting on a hill top which attracts pleasant breezes and offers great views across to Assisi, Spello and other places set against a backdrop of mountains. It is full of heritage buildings casually hidden behind archways or down little alleys and is a very pleasant place to walk around. And yet it is not a major tourist destination, so prices and quality in hotels and restaurants are generally very good.

I can't compare Perugia with Bologna, however, because I've never spent any time there, but anything I've heard about it has been positive.

If you do go to Perugia, you should also plan a visit to Assisi, less than an hour away by bus. The Giotto and Cimabue frescoes in the basilica are a sight to be seen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Anyone been to Canada?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Anyone been to Canada?
    A perfect question as we're considering an East coast trip next year, so looking forward to any responses....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to Japan and Vietnam for 2 weeks (each) next April. Any 'do's and don'ts' from experience are appreciated.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    I'm going to Japan and Vietnam for 2 weeks (each) next April. Any 'do's and don'ts' from experience are appreciated.
    Vietnam is very beautiful. You can make of it what you will really. It doesn't quite have the same beautiful beaches as a Thailand but if you want to find a quiet beautiful isolated beach you will

It is very cheap - cheapest lager in the world (I don't drink so cannot verify it's taste)

War guided tour is a bit touristy but you'll prob end up doing that

The people are friendly, food a bit less spicy than some of the rest of Asia

If you want to escape life and a digital detox find a quite resort and unwind

Go find a monk and get your spiritual awakening
    Last edited by granger; 10th September 2019 at 9:19 AM.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The bonus was good this year so in Vietnam we are going to base ourselves at a fairly nice 5* jobbie on a beach in the Hoi An region. Been? Recommendations?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    The bonus was good this year so in Vietnam we are going to base ourselves at a fairly nice 5* jobbie on a beach in the Hoi An region. Been? Recommendations?
    One drawback with Vietnam is they don't offer e-visa's so unless its changed in the last 18 months you have to send your passport to the embassy in London

Hoi An - I was there for a week

I'd recommend hiring a bike and cycling around

Street food heaven - you'll smell grilled food a lot. Very nice fish if that is your thing

Are some very nice beaches - if you are staying in on of the high end hotels (not my scene ) you will likely have a bit of private beach cordoned off for you

Old Town is must see and some temples and museums

Thanks
    Actually Colm, it looks like you can get an e-visa now but be wary of some of these websites

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Anyone been to Canada?
    Had a fortnight in Vancouver (In January, mind). Plenty to do and see, and the weather usually compares favourably to our own. Eagle Run and Whistler both worth the short journey out.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

granger (10th September 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Actually Colm, it looks like you can get an e-visa now but be wary of some of these websites
    Thanks for the inputs Grange. I am happy to hear of a cordoned off beach as I do rather dread proximity to the lower orders when vacationing. See you Saturday?

Thanks
    Thanks for the inputs Grange. I am happy to hear of a cordoned off beach as I do rather dread proximity to the lower orders when vacationing. See you Saturday?
    The Flat and I don't sit well

This is an excellent forum on travel. Use it a lot

https://www.travelfish.org/location/...ang_nam/hoi_an