Page 1049 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 495499499991039104410451046104710481049105010511052105310541059 ... LastLast
Results 20,961 to 20,980 of 21797

Thread: What are you backing Today?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I've got a couple of these wrong recently but I can make excuses for them so I'm already creating an excuse bank for Star Of Emaraaty tomorrow in the 2.10.

I have heavily availed myself each-way of the 12/1 on offer as I was worried if it would be a backable price. I was seriously anticipating 6/4 or shorter.

It's top-rated on ORs and RPRs and I have it miles clear on my time ratings. And I mean MILES.

I would seriously consider upsetting Slim by putting it on his Will Win thread but I have allowed discretion to get the better part of valour and shat out out of going win-only, so it's a hefty each-way bet but I'll still be seriously disappointed if this one doesn't hack up.

And I mean hack up.

OUCH!

My gut tells me she hasn't run her race but I'll need to see how the numbers crunch.

Maybe the ground (shouldn't have been a problem), maybe not over Newmarket (less than six weeks since the big run so could have bounced) but certainly looked after when the response wasn't there.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    End of season 2yo filly races DO. There's always a chance one or more are going to improve and the winner and third today were both one from one coming into the race

Disappointing that Dubai Fountain so easily turned the form around with SOE though but that's typical of a Johnston horse for you
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    I get where you're coming from, wilsonl, but I checked back through the history of the race. It is littered with top-rated horses who seriously underperformed on the day. This is just another.

I was never happy with Yazaman either. He always seemed to be struggling to go the pace, which you wouldn't expect of a horse with the highest speed rating.

And Believe In Love was never travelling convincingly although I was saying out loud through the first half of the race t let her stride on and make it a real test.

If there was one day this week I was really looking forward to it was today.

It's turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I get where you're coming from, wilsonl, but I checked back through the history of the race. It is littered with top-rated horses who seriously underperformed on the day. This is just another.

I was never happy with Yazaman either. He always seemed to be struggling to go the pace, which you wouldn't expect of a horse with the highest speed rating.

And Believe In Love was never travelling convincingly although I was saying out loud through the first half of the race t let her stride on and make it a real test.

If there was one day this week I was really looking forward to it was today.

It's turning into a bit of a nightmare.

......but with a happy ending! I think that a cluster of good horses today didn’t get near giving their running. It’s getting to that time of the season when many start going over the top and calling it a day. I find I’m looking more and more towards the jumpers already.
    Last edited by barjon; 10th September 2020 at 9:05 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (10th September 2020)

Thanks
    I've just taken 10/1 Jawwaal for the Portland. I might have done well to get that as it's shorter and blue just about everywhere else and strikes as the type that might halve in price by the off. I haven't checked yet but I suspect maybe Simon Rowlands has put him up as he did at York last time, provoking a big gamble but the horse was given an easy time of it after travelling best of all.

It comes with a health warning, though. I don't have a good record in this race. Captain Colby in 2016 and Hogmaneigh in 2008 were my last two winners.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've just taken 10/1 Jawwaal for the Portland. I might have done well to get that as it's shorter and blue just about everywhere else and strikes as the type that might halve in price by the off. I haven't checked yet but I suspect maybe Simon Rowlands has put him up as he did at York last time, provoking a big gamble but the horse was given an easy time of it after travelling best of all.

It comes with a health warning, though. I don't have a good record in this race. Captain Colby in 2016 and Hogmaneigh in 2008 were my last two winners.
    Desert, you seem to make a very thorough analysis which must come from a comprehensive and personal data base with your own (time based) ratings ? Very impressed - must take many midnight hours.

Thanks
    Thanks, Barjon. I've been doing it for over 40 years but don't spend as much time on it now as I did when I was younger and information wasn't as freely available as it is now.

I've learned over the years to be more selective about the races I analyse, which is why you won't find me getting involved in discussions about ordinary midweek racing or joining in threads that don't hold specific interest to me.

It's been a balancing act over the decades, trying to balance work, family, social life and racing. Spinning plates at times and making people round about me less than happy, to be honest.

The data base isn't mine. I just access and use what's out there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Barjon. I've been doing it for over 40 years but don't spend as much time on it now as I did when I was younger and information wasn't as freely available as it is now.

I've learned over the years to be more selective about the races I analyse, which is why you won't find me getting involved in discussions about ordinary midweek racing or joining in threads that don't hold specific interest to me.

It's been a balancing act over the decades, trying to balance work, family, social life and racing. Spinning plates at times and making people round about me less than happy, to be honest.

The data base isn't mine. I just access and use what's out there.
    Ah yes, those days before computers. I used to rate 2yo at various courses. Chester was the best where experience of the course counted for a lot (still does). You had to go to see, but it was worth it to spot newcomers to Chester who found out how to handle it, finishing well and on the heels of the placed horses. They tended to be good prices next time they ran there and invariably ran extremely well, but modern communications means they are less dark than they were. Oops, sorry, reminiscing.

Thanks
    I'm hopeful today. Although I ended up nicely in profit yesterday it was an uncomfortable journey so it's significantly dampened my enthusiasm and chastened my confidence.

These are extracts from my private analysis for today which I wrote on Wednesday and edited this morning (edits in red):

I’m loath to oppose Alfaatik who did us a turn at York and I can’t muster up any enthusiasm for anything else. The worries with Alfaatik are a possible bounce and the step up in trip, and that’s enough to make me baulk at the price of around 5/2 as I write. Alfaatik is now 15/8 tops. If the money is right he’ll win but he isn’t for me at the price. Instead, a small win (no ew available) bet on Hochfeld at 17/2 without Alfaatik will give me an interest. I might try the f/c nearer the off.

I like the improvers for this and would narrow them down further to Sunset Breeze (best odds 7/1 on Wednesday evening), Ghalyoon (9/2) and Tranchee (12/1) against the field. Tranchee gets a big mark-up last time after going clear too soon before folding late. His claimer is making a name for himself and he’s officially 2lbs well in. At the prices he might be a good each-way bet and could end up a gamble. Sunset Breeze is officially 5lbs well in and on a curve for a trainer who is worth following when he gets them on a roll. Ghalyoon also gets a big mark-up for a strong late finish last time but steps back in trip a little for the first time. Maybe that’s at the suggestion of O’Neill who rode him that day when the horse was very keen at the back. Given his connections, you’d imagine he’s considered some way better than an 88 animal. I might divvy up a point between all three at best possible odds and try a permed forecast, just in case. They are now best prices 5/1, 5/2 and 7/1 respectively so I should have been braver and gone in on Wednesday. I can’t narrow them down any further so will leave the race alone. I’m just wondering what I would have done today if I hadn’t known those early prices. I’ll mull over that and maybe take an interest nearer the time.

I’m hoping Sacred takes this and at 3/1 I’ll be backing up that hope with cash. A win will be a big boost for my ante-post 1000 Guineas bet (50/1) on Miss Amulet who beat her in the Lowther and who has this week been bought by Coolmore. I have Sacred 15lbs clear on time ratings and won’t be looking past her. Again, the price is gone. She’s now 7/4 tops but that might still be value if my figures are correct. At least I had the foresight to take her on Wednesday in the double with One Ruler at the ‘big’ prices. If the double comes off it will be ample compensation.

I’m not sure what to make of this race which is a G2 in name only. If they intend to take Red Verdon over for the Melbourne Cup, they won’t want a penalty, assuming one would accrue. Other than that, with Dettori up he has to be taken seriously. I don’t fancy anything else so am leaving the race alone.

I did this race as part of my project and have backed two. The project horse is One Ruler, which I backed at 4/1 on Wednesday evening in anticipation of a price collapse. He won the race represented by Latest Generation on Wednesday and that one was backed from 13/8 into 8/11. This is obviously a much better race but I have One Ruler 15lbs clear on time ratings with every chance that he will improve again. I think he’s probably under the radar of the handicapper at just 96, a rating that would be based on the history of the Sandown race he won. Apollo One is second-top on ORs and the longest priced (14/1) of the fanciable contenders. I took that each-way to 4 places (Sky) on Wednesday. The price has indeed collapsed to 7/4 tops and as short as 11/8 in places so I’m pleased to have got on early as well as at 7/2 with the double with Sacred at 3/1 (the best double prices at the time). Apollo One is 12s tops and would still interest me today if I weren’t already on. There’s another runner from the Latest Generation-One Ruler form running today, in the 2.00 at Sandown, called Maximal. When the tracker alert came through yesterday evening it was 4/7 but it’s down to 2/5. The treble with Sacred* pays over 8/1 so I’ll take that too. If there is a weak link in the treble it is probably One Ruler given where he stands on ORs but that’s a chance I can take.

Fingers crossed for a good day.

*should read 'with Sacred and One Ruler'
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 11th September 2020 at 8:30 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I’m with you on Sacred 13/8 (down to 11/8 now). Got a slight worry that Mohawk King is also in my tracker and Frankie booking is maybe significant so got an EW saver on that.
    Last edited by barjon; 11th September 2020 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    I like the improvers for this and would narrow them down further to Sunset Breeze (best odds 7/1 on Wednesday evening), Ghalyoon (9/2) and Tranchee (12/1) against the field. Tranchee gets a big mark-up last time after going clear too soon before folding late. His claimer is making a name for himself and he’s officially 2lbs well in. At the prices he might be a good each-way bet and could end up a gamble. Sunset Breeze is officially 5lbs well in and on a curve for a trainer who is worth following when he gets them on a roll. Ghalyoon also gets a big mark-up for a strong late finish last time but steps back in trip a little for the first time. Maybe that’s at the suggestion of O’Neill who rode him that day when the horse was very keen at the back. Given his connections, you’d imagine he’s considered some way better than an 88 animal. I might divvy up a point between all three at best possible odds and try a permed forecast, just in case.
    Fuxake.

How can you be so right and not make a fuckin penny on a race!
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 11th September 2020 at 2:17 PM.

Thanks
    I can't help thinking Sacred would have won if she'd been in the other group. The side-on replay suggested she maybe made her move too soon and she seemed to take a strange stride a furlong out.

I'm not as disappointed as I was about yesterday's reverses, partly because my expectations were suitably lowered and partly because I still think she was probably the best horse in the race.

Hopes for Miss Amulet remain intact for now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I can't help thinking Sacred would have won if she'd been in the other group. The side-on replay suggested she maybe made her move too soon and she seemed to take a strange stride a furlong out.

I'm not as disappointed as I was about yesterday's reverses, partly because my expectations were suitably lowered and partly because I still think she was probably the best horse in the race.

Hopes for Miss Amulet remain intact for now.
    Maybe, bit irritating because the winner was also in my tracker in a minor role due to Simon Rowlands note of exceptional sectionals -
    “ UBETTABELIEVEIT (Nigel Tinkler) is a fast and useful juvenile from a somewhat unexpected source, but you better believe it that he can run a bit. Total Performance Data sectionals – available in the Results Section of this site – have him overcoming a pace bias when bursting clear late on in a novice at Doncaster last time, with his last two splits of 11.03s then 11.46s red-hot in the circumstances. His striding (also in those results) suggests he may be better at 6f ”

I saved with the wrong one!

Thanks
    That wasn't in his blog this morning, barjon. Was it from a previous article?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    225 Leo tomorrow POWERFUL TED 16/1 betfair/pp

In my alerts.

Thanks
    Another bum raping today. This week not going at all well!

Thanks
    I did get some money back as I was prudent enough to take the Sacred/One Ruler double ew at the big prices but nowhere near enough to cover the day's outlay but when you bet an 18/1 shot you accept it's 1/18 it won't win and I got that price about what ended up something like 9/2 at the off.

If I keep doing that I'll end up in front in the long term.

Still disappointed, though, and kicking myself about that handicap!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That wasn't in his blog this morning, barjon. Was it from a previous article?
    Sectional Spotlight 15 July

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    The Irish Champion's an intriguing race, with the odds-on Ghaiyyath susceptible to a pace challenge. Maybe Magical will take him on, with the intent of providing the strong pace that Japan (7/1, Hills) needs at this trip. Will keep stakes small though, as he might just be on his way to the Arc.
    Last edited by reet hard; 12th September 2020 at 1:57 AM.

Thanks
    I'm on Sottsass for the ICW at 10s and 12s for 3 places. I think these conditions, 10f on decent ground, are close to his optimum and he'd have been campaigned all year for his Autumn targets. Instinct tells me the fav is vulnerable not that long after his Juddmonte win. Magical I can't have but Japan like the selection is probably better over 10f so you can maybe forgive his dud over 12 lto. He's worth small cover.

The Park Stakes is interesting and I'm willing to forgive Molatham his run in Deauville. It's possible that's as good as he is but that track has funny ground and on his Jersey effort 6/1 is too big. Wichita is too short and One Master was well beat last time out. Limato respected and he's in a couple of multiples with the Godolphin horse who runs in the National.

I thought 100/30 about Santiago was very fair. I backed him at Goodwood because the WFA is overly generous and whilst he was a bit disappointing I think taking on that calibre of older horse not long after runs at Royal Ascot and the Curragh was tough for a 3yo. He should be much better today and will stay. I can't have Pyledriver staying and the others are a bit meh. Hukum's form was let down by Alignak yesterday and the JOB horse looks a 2 miler+

I also have Chindit and Peaceful in multiples with horses that run on Sunday
    Last edited by Euronymous; 12th September 2020 at 7:58 AM.