Thread: What are you backing Today?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    More 2nds than Joe Bugner.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    I've taken another pop at the SPFL this evening.

I did look closely at the M'well-Celtic game because Stephen Robinson is doing such a good job with the Fir Park side and they always give Celtic a game, especially at home. In the end, though, Celtic have picked up a lot of momentum since the winter break and are in a good place psychologically.

I'm not convinced the same can be said of their Glasgow rivals. They've shipped five points in their last two games and maybe Hibs will be smelling blood at Ibrox. They've responded positively to the arrival of Jack Ross as manager and will have every reason to fancy taking something back along the M8.

The home side finished last year on a high, celebrating what was in my opinion a somewhat undeserved win again Celtic (who had more possession, more chances, more attempts on and off target, and more dodgy refereeing decisions against them) as if they'd won the league. They went straight into the winter break after that but whereas Celtic have taken stock, experimented with new formations and personnel and arguably strengthened in the wake of the defeat, the Ibrox outfit appear to have donned the dangerous cloak of misplaced invincibility.

I'm also hearing the Gerrard no longer 'has' the dressing room, having made negative comments in the media about his players. They've never rated him as a coach anyway, I gather, and his assistant is the one with the tactical genius. What I've heard about him makes me wish Celtic made a quiet move for him!

So, all in all, I think Hibs could give them a game tonight. The chances are, as the odds suggest, that they'll leave with nothing but laying the home side at around 2/11 strikes me as a fair value bet.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Oooh. Got to 85 minutes!

Thanks
    3.05 Meydan-Yattwee @ 9-2 [Bet 365]

Should come on for recent run
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    2nd..would have won easily if getting a clear run

Thanks
    6.00 Dundalk-Fit For Function

Each Way @ 9-1 [Bet Victor] 4 Places

Last run suggested going back up in trip would be a positive

Thanks
    I think the Denman Chase could be the highlight of the day.

There are all sorts of big noises emanating from the yard about the well-being of Native River and the betting suggests this should be no more than a lap of honour for him.

It has pained me to see Might Bite struggle since he was outstayed by Native River in the Gold Cup then win at Aintree. His RSA win was a monstrous performance. If you can find it, try and watch Ruby Walsh talking about it.

Today, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Altior lost and Might Bite won. I wouldn't put it past Hendo to use Altior to deflect attention away from landing a coup with Might Bite.

Obviously I want to see Altior win. I want to see Altior go off prominently and leave his field for dead but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen. He won't be carrying my money at long odds on but at 7/1 Might Bite will certainly be saddled with the considerable extra weight of my money.

The real Might Bite would toy with the real Native River.

Thanks
    I’d like to see it too, but unfortunately I think Native River broke Might Bite in that Gold Cup, and he’ll never dig that deep again. Since then every time he’s been put under pressure he’s folded. The problem looks mental rather than physical.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    The problem looks mental rather than physical.
    That makes Might Bite and me kindred spirits.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    That makes Might Bite and me kindred spirits.

Thanks
    Kuwait Currency 2.20L hit the front too soon off a strong pace over c/d latest, and was ultimately beatn by 2 from further back.
    Has the better pace judge booked today and that should ensure him home and dry.
    4/1 best.

Thanks
    Might Bite into 9/2 tops. I wasn't really expecting that. Hopes raised a tad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I’d like to see it too, but unfortunately I think Native River broke Might Bite in that Gold Cup, and he’ll never dig that deep again. Since then every time he’s been put under pressure he’s folded. The problem looks mental rather than physical.
    Have Might Bite as unlikely to stay this stiff 3m, particularly with Native River forcing the pace. However, NR's no good thing on this ground and I'd look outside those 2 for the winner.

Thanks
    Might Bite into 9/2 tops. I wasn't really expecting that. Hopes raised a tad.
    9/2 now only available with a couple of minor cowboy outfits. Hopes further raised.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am with DO on Might Bite. A fair price on a very good horse on his day.

I have also taken Altior on with Kalashnikov.
    Last edited by Marb; 8th February 2020 at 2:51 PM.

Thanks
    I think the Denman Chase could be the highlight of the day.

There are all sorts of big noises emanating from the yard about the well-being of Native River and the betting suggests this should be no more than a lap of honour for him.

It has pained me to see Might Bite struggle since he was outstayed by Native River in the Gold Cup then win at Aintree. His RSA win was a monstrous performance. If you can find it, try and watch Ruby Walsh talking about it.

Today, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Altior lost and Might Bite won. I wouldn't put it past Hendo to use Altior to deflect attention away from landing a coup with Might Bite.

Obviously I want to see Altior win. I want to see Altior go off prominently and leave his field for dead but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen. He won't be carrying my money at long odds on but at 7/1 Might Bite will certainly be saddled with the considerable extra weight of my money.

The real Might Bite would toy with the real Native River.
    I look forward to hearing Hendo talk about Might Bite. I might be in a minority of one, farting against thunder, etc, but I thought NdB looked after the horse today. I think today was all about getting a completed race out of him without stressing him too much. I hoped for more but as soon as I saw him anchored out wide I took the view that today was a step to a destination rather than the destination itself.

I can't see MB going to Cheltenham but I wouldn't give up hope on him returning to form in the Bowl at Aintree.

Thanks
    I look forward to hearing Hendo talk about Might Bite. I might be in a minority of one, farting against thunder, etc, but I thought NdB looked after the horse today. I think today was all about getting a completed race out of him without stressing him too much. I hoped for more but as soon as I saw him anchored out wide I took the view that today was a step to a destination rather than the destination itself.

I can't see MB going to Cheltenham but I wouldn't give up hope on him returning to form in the Bowl at Aintree.
    Nico saving a horse? Never!

Not reckon they’d go to the Ultima with him? It crossed my mind.

Thanks

I picked up this interesting snippet at one of the GN build-up sites.

Hendo on Might Bite:

There have been a lot of people calling for him to be retired, but we rode him differently on Saturday, out on his own and he really enjoyed it and jumped great.
    The Might Bite we saw win the RSA went out in front at a fast pace and then quickened away at the top of the hill. Even after he decided to go and collect his winnings from the bookies after the last he still rallied to deny Whisper. I think if they let him loose on the lead he could get back to his best. I'd want at least to see them give him that chance.

Thanks
    Cosmelli 3.25S is different class to these and, with the fav to tow him along, looks a rock solid bet today. 3's gnerallly.

Thanks
    I've been going close with my football bets lately so I'm going to persevere again today.

No prizes for guessing: I'm laying the beleaguered Ibrox club again today at approx 2/9. I thought they would cope with Killie during the week with John Beaton (allegedly pictured celebrating with fellow Ibrox fans in his local bar after he reffed their win against Celtic last January and subsequently lauded by the fans with a stadium banner) in charge but despite taking the lead in a dull first half the players appeared to think they'd done enough and allowed Killie to go at them in the second half, resulting in the home side turning the game round. Once again, Gerrard panned his players in the post-match interview but did admit the buck stopped with him.

He might find Livi more stubborn than usual today but I would still expect his side to win. Recent matches have shown they struggle to find a way past parked buses and I imagine Livi will aim to frustrate them as much as possible prior to trying to steal one on the counter, which they did to Celtic earlier in the season. But the home side should still be good enough to win. I'm just not sure 1/5 or thereabouts accurately reflects that possibility.