Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kauto Star

Banned
    Thanks

Kauto Star

I would like to start a thread to remeber this horse at his best..to remove that image i just watched.

We have so many memories..plenty to talk about to celebrate this great horse.

Thanks
    I remember watching the 2009 Gold Cup in the Northern Snooker Centre in Leeds where I was playing in a snooker tournament.

The only bet I can remember having was Neptune Collonges to place - I didn't dare back Kauto as I didn't want to scud him but was convinced he was absolutely bomb proof.

I spent the last four furlongs roaring myself hoarse at Kauto. A guy came up to me and asked "How much did you win?". When I told him I hadn't won a penny, he clearly thought I was out on day release

I feel sorry for people who don't get horse racing - the spectacles that Kauto and Denman have given us over the last 5 or 6 years have been the highlights of the entire time I have spent watching racing (25 years since I was 5 years old).

Kauto is quite simply the greatest National Hunt horse in my lifetime and I wish him a long and happy retirement.
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

Banned
    Thanks
    sorry about this for Chapman haters..good video though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x43xv4Kezig

Thanks
    Kautos first Chase (Exeter I think) he fell early and was remounted. He was over a furlong behind and got up to be beaten in a photo, you just knew a star was born that day. The rest is history as they say,

Edited to make it factual - just looked this up and about the only thing I got right was Exeter - it was his second chase and he tracked leader, led on bit approaching 4 out, 12 lengths clear and cantering, when fell 2 out, re-mounted, hit last, ran on well and beaten a shd.

Either way it was a brilliant effort - never to be repeated on these shores.
    Last edited by swedish chef; 4th May 2011 at 6:27 PM. Reason: facts

Banned
    Thanks
    might as well put up a classic

2009 KG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0BKgmx0VM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    from twitter

Paul Nicholls
    Kauto Star fine. Out to grass with his pal Denman next week.

Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I was at Punchestown the same day as his first Betfair chase triumph. I remember legging it in to watch the race on the screen just after Vic Venturi got mugged in a novice chase.

He beat an on-form Beef or Salmon around 20l, on a flat galloping track with a bit of cut. It was his first attempt at over 3m, and from that day I believed this was the best staying chaser of my race-watching lifetime.

I loved the way he travelled in the final 4f of races. He could really turn on the taps, and maintain his savage jumping. I believe that most of his mistakes in his heyday were caused by him relaxing and looking around.

He is in my top 5 horses ever, along with Florida Pearl, Limestone Lad, Istabraq and Giant's Causeway.

Actually top 6, forgot Beefie.....
    Last edited by Bar the Bull; 4th May 2011 at 6:27 PM.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar the Bull View Post
    I was at Punchestown the same day as his first Betfair chase triumph. I remember legging it in to watch the race on the screen just after Vic Venturi got mugged in a novice chase.

He beat an on-form Beef or Salmon around 20l, on a flat galloping track with a bit of cut. It was his first attempt at over 3m, and from that day I believed this was the best staying chaser of my race-watching lifetime.

I loved the way he travelled in the final 4f of races. He could really turn on the taps, and maintain his savage jumping. I believe that most of his mistakes in his heyday were caused by him relaxing and looking around.

He is in my top 5 horses ever, along with Florida Pearl, Limestone Lad, Istabraq and Giant's Causeway.
    Perfect top 5 although I would swap Limestone Lad with Moscow Flyer. Never really took to his connections especially after the objection at Cheltenham.
    Do not mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance nor my kindness for weakness.

Banned
    Thanks
    top 5 fav jumps horses for me..only in my interest in racing lifetime that is

NIGHT NURSE
    SEA PIGEON
    DESERT ORCHID
    KAUTO STAR
    MAKE A STAND

Thanks
    A lovely horse... certainly in the top handful of chasers that I know about.
    5211-2211111-1111-121-1112-112-25

1-11112-11111-1111-22F-1U24-325

11-2113-11111-11111-PU

11-1211114-1111427

1111-11111-11111

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    top 5 fav jumps horses for me..only in my interest in racing lifetime that is

NIGHT NURSE
    SEA PIGEON
    DESERT ORCHID
    KAUTO STAR
    MAKE A STAND

Night Nurse and Kauto would both be on my list too. Arkle would head it. Denman, Baracouda, Moscow Flyer... one or two others.
    5211-2211111-1111-121-1112-112-25

1-11112-11111-1111-22F-1U24-325

11-2113-11111-11111-PU

11-1211114-1111427

1111-11111-11111

Thanks
    Kauto will do for me as the best chaser of my lifetime. His consistency has been remarkable, and his versatility made him my favourite. Graded chase wins at Aintree, Cheltenham, Newbury, Haydock, Ascot, Sandown, Kempton and Down Royal, over distances from 2m to 3m2f.

Great that he's stayed sound to run in five consecutive King Georges and Gold Cups.

Thanks
    I was on the rails today and he was beaten passing me. Ruby was jut at him and they weren't going fast. As he came home, he was applauded by those in the stands and received applause all the way from the track to the parade ring. When he past me, Nicholls said to Ruby "we didn't expect THAT", so he must have been in good form beforehand. Age catches up with the best of them. Just look at Brave Inca. One day he wins the Irish Champion when things go right, at a decent age, and then runs down the field twice on better ground. I think Kauto is the same. Just one race too many. Some career though.

Thanks
    Simply the best chaser I have ever seen much as I loved Desert Orchid and Best Mate .

I feel privileged to have been there to see his GC wins and his valiant efforts in defeat most of all this March and two of his KG wins - his 2009 KG performance surely the greatest by a chaser since 1966 .

Thanks
    A true sporting crowd there, Cantoris - Ruby seemed to crack a joke with some security guys on the way back in, and I could see people clapping. The camera lingered on KAUTO's face for some time, possibly to see if he'd bled at all (couldn't see any sign of that), but in all honesty, the horse looked quite happy and bright.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    He got a really great reception from the stands, a true champion.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantoris View Post
    I was on the rails today and he was beaten passing me. Ruby was jut at him and they weren't going fast. As he came home, he was applauded by those in the stands and received applause all the way from the track to the parade ring. When he past me, Nicholls said to Ruby "we didn't expect THAT", so he must have been in good form beforehand. Age catches up with the best of them. Just look at Brave Inca. One day he wins the Irish Champion when things go right, at a decent age, and then runs down the field twice on better ground. I think Kauto is the same. Just one race too many. Some career though.
    Didn't Paul Nicholls tell ATR that they had slacked off his work before this race?

Whereas most chasers have a not-so-good second (somtimes third) season, Kauto has only just flattened out. His consistency has been remarkable, particularly as there was speculation earlier in his career about French-breds maturing and deteriorating early.

A seriously classy horse through and through.
    ... unicorns are busiest at three o'clock in the morning.

[COLOR=blue][I]"It is one of life's tragedies that men become what they oppose."[/I] Dr A Guirdham

[/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222][I]"My glass always tends to be not just half-empty, but cracked with my ale seeping off the table and into my shoes..."[/I] Lydia Hislop[/COLOR]

Banned
    Thanks
    300 views but just a few individual replies..on a thread dedicated to one of the greatest chasers of the last 40 years

how many replies if he had been Irish trained I wonder?

oh deary me

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Starting a thread because you're upset an 11yo didn't run well in a race in May has got a lot more responses than it deserved.

Pack in the pathetic comments about Irish horses..

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here we go again!
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......