Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Elliot

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by On The Bridle View Post
    Mr Murphy improved him a little you would have to say
    I think the word banjaxed came to mind when he arrived. Attention to detail is key and they eventually found a foot problem with him. Once that was sorted, the wins kept coming and coming.

But I've come to the conclusion that anyone of us could train a horse to win if we sat in a yard for a few months and soaked up how to get a horse fit. I think the good trainers (and what would set them apart from the chancers like those in the previous line) are the ones who know when to stop, when to go, what's wrong and why its wrong and get it sorted. They are the people that win with horses that shouldn't win. And they aren't high profile horses. It could be a little handicapper with a back problem or something else.

Thanks
    You cannot underestimate horsemanship - which is a full understanding of how a whole horse works, not just riding well. There are some really small-time trainers who will know what's likely to be the reason why a horse isn't doing well simply because of the way it holds itself. Tom Keddy amazed me with the story of his little mare MARIOLINI last season: she wasn't doing any good and I believe she'd been chucked in the sales, where he picked her up ridiculously cheaply. His feeling was that she had something wrong along her topline, probably a sore back or withers. He said he just gently tweezed her withers with his fingers, and she nearly sank to the ground in pain. Sore withers, probably caused by a pinching saddle, nothing worse, but so painful it was enough to restrict her ability to run properly.

A few weeks with some physio and rest, and she was winning and placing like a little bandit. You have to feel for owners who don't know a gaskin from a gasket, and who are told their horses are useless, won't ever win, yadda-yadda, or who are spun all kinds of stories just to keep the fees coming in.

Anyone could train a horse if all it took was getting it fit, in the same way that anyone could look after a baby if all it took was feeding it and changing its nappy.
    Last edited by krizon; 12th April 2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    I'm not sure how sustainable Elliots style is. All the owners wanting a piece of him could catch up. I think they all learn that eventually and maybe he'll make himself less available now that he is established. He has marketted himself very well. I agree re: Perth . I can't imagine it did the owners much good.
    Getting ordinary horses to win is as good a sign of a trainer as getting the good ones to win imo. Murphys personal style would appeal more to me than Elliots and unless you have a Graded horse you need to have your head examined keeping one with Mullins.
    Clare Balding for President.

Thanks
    I really enjoyed the visit to the Elliott stables with the Go Racing Club. He coudn't have been more helpful.

Thanks
    On Monday, Gordon Elliott, trainer of the 2007 Grand National winning Silver Birch, paid €910,000 at auction for a Co Meath farm which he plans to convert into stables. He was the successful bidder of Cullentra House, Longwood, a residential farm with a five-bedroom house, three reception rooms and 78 acres.

Auctioneer Tom Potterton of TE Potterton Real Estate Alliance, had been guiding between €700,000 and €750,000 for the property and bidding started at €600,000. The property appealed to the trainer because of its hill which is similar to the lead-up to the winning post at Cheltenham.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    910k.... jesus.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Gearoid
    He paid cash in dirty Scottish Stirling notes....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearoid View Post
    He paid cash in dirty Scottish Stirling notes....
    in £10 notes....

Thanks
    Some Northern Bank ones thrown in perhaps....
    Do not mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance nor my kindness for weakness.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    910k.... jesus.
    That wouldn't have covered the stamp duty 4 years ago.
    Do not mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance nor my kindness for weakness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    It covers it and some now though
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Well I did suggest a few weeks ago that it was only a matter of time before Elliott moved as he was employed at Capranny in the same way O'Brien is employed at Ballydoyle.

It will be interesting to see how he manages the non-horse side of the business. Bad debts were not his problem before...they are now. Also be interesting to see if he loses a few owners. Earls was talking about moving his horses back to his own places and Capranny's owner already has another training establishment which could be moved in and could steal some of Gordon's owners. Interesting times for Elliott.

Presumably he will need to build the gallop which will take time. Also, as Ger Lyons found out, changing gallops is an absolute nightmare and you can lose a season or two out of it.

I'd also be interested to hear who is financing the deal. Could be himself, his missus or one of his owners. Or a combination!

PS It looks like a greenfield site so he's gonna have to plough in another half a mill I'd say getting it to a racing yard of 70/100 boxes. Anyone got a clue how much it is to build a yard. I know a block of boxes are not cheap to put up.
    Last edited by Cantoris; 27th May 2011 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks
    Executors sale

Cullentra House and its 78ac farm is a gorgeous country property located at Longwood, Co Meath.
    The holding is situated near the village of Longwood and not far from the towns of Enfield and Kinnegad.
    The property includes a spacious five-bedroom residence built in the late 1800s and comprises, on the ground floor, an entrance hall, two spacious reception rooms, a dining room, and a drawing room with bay windows and marble fireplaces. The first floor comprises five bedrooms, a bathroom, toilet and store room.
    The residence is perfectly habitable but will require some refurbishment.
    Lorraine Hendy, of selling agents TE Potterton, Trim, describes the farmland as being in good heart, well fenced and well looked after.
    The yard is a combination of modern farm buildings with haybarn and slatted units, along with a traditional courtyard style yard with stone buildings.
    The house is set back from the road and approached by a curved tarmac drive through a fine stone entrance fitted with electronic gates, while the extensive grounds contain gardens and the remains of a tennis court.

Gearoid
    The move will make or beak him.

Thanks
    What - as in peck him to death?

Gearoid
    How many times must I tell you...

I'm a ship typoist

Thanks

But with a GOSH! Oh, that's GSOH!

Thanks
    Presumably he will need to build the gallop which will take time. Also, as Ger Lyons found out, changing gallops is an absolute nightmare and you can lose a season or two out of it.
    I have noticed this before with a few different trainers, is it that they have to learn all over again what is required to bring a horse along and get them fit on the new gallop ? The have to 'get to know' their new gallop.

Thanks
    Seems to have taken Tom Dascombe a season since he moved as well.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I have noticed this before with a few different trainers, is it that they have to learn all over again what is required to bring a horse along and get them fit on the new gallop ? The have to 'get to know' their new gallop.
    Ger went through a season where he could only get his horses fit by running them. They had to harrow deeper into the gallop. Paul Nolan recently said something similar to us when he changed the gallop mix.