Page 81 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081828384858691 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 2225

Thread: What are you watching

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I'm no historian of Glasgow but I reckon places like Castlemilk (south), Easterhouse (east) and Drumchapel (west), the much-vaunted at the time new 'schemes' on the edge of the city would have been up and running by then and the more central tenemented areas, like the Gorbals (predominantly Irish immigrant population) were being left to go to ruin.

I was conceived in a 'single-end' tenement with no inside toilet but born in a brand new council semi. The family moved into the house in the June and I was born in the September. If not there would have been six of us trying to live in the single-end (which actually collapsed in the storm of January 1967).
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Watched the programme about Bible John and the murders of young women who had been dancing at The Barrowlands Ballroom and I was taken aback by the living conditions in some parts of Glasgow at the time, 1968.

I grew up in the Rhondda Valley and things weren't great with us; no hot water, outside toilet only electric light on the lower two floors but we didn't have the over crowding or the sewage problem that there was in those parts of Glasgow. In 1968 England had already won the World Cup and things had improved in the mining valleys.

As I say, I was really surprised by how bad things were.
    My Mum's family were from Ferndale. My Auntie Gladys lived there all her life on Brown Street, opposite the 'slag' heap. I stayed there for a couple of weeks when I was about 8/9, the toilet technically was inside, but only just and the old one had been turned into a pigeon shed for my Uncle Glan's birds. I remember having a great time down there playing with the local kids. Stay off the heap was the only thing my Auntie said otherwise free rein. At the time in Berkshire where we lived we had to go out the back door to get to the toilet, attached but separate to the body of the house. Wasn't brought inside until 1981- council house.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    I didn’t live in a property with a bath or an inside toilet until I left home at the age of 17, when me and a school friend dropped out and moved to Cornwall to do the hippy thing. It was several more years before my parents moved into a council flat with a bathroom. Having said that, the amenities were better but they were like little caged birds. Another world, another life.

Thanks
    I didn’t live in a property with a bath or an inside toilet until I left home at the age of 17, when me and a school friend dropped out and moved to Cornwall to do the hippy thing. It was several more years before my parents moved into a council flat with a bathroom. Having said that, the amenities were better but they were like little caged birds. Another world, another life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 620 Posts
    Just been to see the House of Gucci (Sunday evening excellent time to go to the cinema......nobody there!) with Lady Gaga. She is superb and I think an Oscar nomination beckons as should Jared Leto. Really enjoyed the film. I didn’t know the story (not sure how accurate it is) and although some have said it’s long, it didn’t feel like that to me.
    Last edited by jinnyj; 10th January 2022 at 1:11 AM.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just watched King Richard starring Will Smith which I thoroughly enjoyed. Did think it could have run another hour as it ends way too soon but an excellent movie all the same.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks

What are you watching

Oh I’d quite like to see that - it looks pretty good from the trailers.

I’m watching the Djokovic court appeal at the moment - should be sleeping !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trudij; 10th January 2022 at 1:57 AM.
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Went to see the new Macbeth last evening. Stunningly good.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Went to see the new Macbeth last evening. Stunningly good.

In theatre?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yep. IFI in Temple Bar. Wanted the big screen impact. The text of the play is whittled down but the pace is hectic. Beautifully filmed in black and white.

"And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trudij View Post
    Is it not good? I really want to see it but can’t really justify getting Netflix again just for that ( especially if it’s crap !)

It's awful.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

trudij (10th January 2022)

Thanks
    Channel 4

The Killer Nanny: Did She Do It?

Episode 2 of 3 is tonight at 9pm but you can watch all 3 episodes on the channel 4 player.

Find example of why the Dad should always be banging the nanny to stop her going out drinking trying to get her hole.
    Last edited by Slim; 10th January 2022 at 8:24 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Incisive analysis as always Slimbo. No foreplay, just get straight in there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Incisive analysis as always Slimbo. No foreplay, just get straight in there.

Thanks
    Stumbled across a film on Prime (I think it was Prime), that really captivated me: Once More, starring Morgan Freeman.

A very pleasant way to pass a couple of hours.

I'll be watching it again soon.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Went to the pictures last night to watch the well hyped 'Licorice Pizza.' Badly written, poorly acted, disjointed, characterless, unrelatable dog shite. Avoid like the plague.
    Last edited by an capall; 20th January 2022 at 10:01 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

trudij (20th January 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Went to the pictures last night to watch the well hyped 'Licorice Pizza.' Badly written, poorly acted, disjointed, characterless, unrelatable dog shite. Avoid like the plague.
    But did you like it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Grasshopper: mmmmm not keen on films with kids in them, or the main focus of the film is on kids, the one real exception probably being Bugsy Malone, which was on silly early the other day. Now that's a great film. Aside from fact I was offered a part in it as an extra and my Mum wouldn't let me. Probably would not have added anything to it but would have been fun

I LOVE The Last Kingdom. Very annoyed when that was taken off terrestrial tele.

Butch and Sundance were on yesterday, Newman and Redford before The Sting. Both said they would have loved to work together again, a shame nothing came along.

Has anyone seen Belfast by Branagh? Expected to do well at the awards ceremonies but I missed it somehow, and I love Branagh.

I tried to watch the MQoS but got very annoyed when they showed them meeting in a wood hut.
    I’d love to see Belfast but we’re still worried about going to cinemas. I’m really pleased that Caitriona Balfe will get the recognition she deserves. I’ve always loved her in Outlander.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    I’d love to see Belfast but we’re still worried about going to cinemas. I’m really pleased that Caitriona Balfe will get the recognition she deserves. I’ve always loved her in Outlander.
    If you can go to an early showing such as middle day. Usually no one in there, in my experience. I take a large handbag and fill it with lunch, a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses. Friend and I then have a lovely picnic lunch. Never been checked as I go in and it saves a fortune on food you might be tempted by from the actual cinema.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Soph and I have been quite a lot since they reopened and we’ve had pretty much private showings of everything - I think the most people in with us were three other families in to see Paw patrol - there’s barely anyone going to the cinema at all, they said they weren’t even full when the new bond movie came out

#YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks