Page 45 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching

Thanks
    Years and Years; watched a couple of episodes but found it so upsetting I stopped watching it. Then thought I'd watch the last episode just to see what happens and am now rewatching the whole series properly. Strange to be watching something about a dystopian future that is actually happening here and now but a lot of people just can't see it [Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome]. Last episode made me think back to Dennis Potters 'Cold Lazarus' which I also found very disturbing at the time [and need to rewatch…].

Banned
    Thanks
    Anyone mentioned Gentleman Jack yet? Superb! And the good news is that it will be back

Thanks
    It was watchable but not something I'd make a point of staying in to watch. Ann Listers life was far more interesting than her sexuality. Loved the music, though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Anyone mentioned Gentleman Jack yet? Superb! And the good news is that it will be back
    I meant to comment earlier. It was brilliant. Suranne Jones was fabulous and her best role to date yet. I didn’t think I’d enjoy it as much but yes I definitely stayed in to watch it. As a character I definitely could identify with her (with one obvious exception!).
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    Years and Years; watched a couple of episodes but found it so upsetting I stopped watching it. Then thought I'd watch the last episode just to see what happens and am now rewatching the whole series properly. Strange to be watching something about a dystopian future that is actually happening here and now but a lot of people just can't see it [Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome]. Last episode made me think back to Dennis Potters 'Cold Lazarus' which I also found very disturbing at the time [and need to rewatch…].
    Loved this - wasn't sure where/what it was supposed to be in the first couple of episodes, but really enjoyed it. Brilliant cast.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    I meant to comment earlier. It was brilliant. Suranne Jones was fabulous and her best role to date yet. I didn’t think I’d enjoy it as much but yes I definitely stayed in to watch it. As a character I definitely could identify with her (with one obvious exception!).
    She was fabulous, although could do with less of the drippy girlfriend. Some really good supporting cast members as well. The scene at the Danish court ball was brilliantly funny to watch. I read an interview with her where she said she was exhausted most of the time as was constantly being told 'walk faster, walk faster!'
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    I was talking to a colleague who lived nearby at the time. He said the programme was so full of errors he could count them on nine fingers of one hand.

I hope he is ok to this day

I would imagine its quite error prone but it was well made and good viewing
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Just watched Jack Whitehalls WDYTYA; never laughed so much at the programme before, even though it was full of people dying of syphillis [sp]. He was desperate to find he was descended from coal miners but they were all, alas, Tory bad'uns.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    I can't look at it if that gimp is in it
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Fast & Furious 9

Thanks
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: not a huge fan of Tarantino and find that his films can be frustrating that 85/90% of the film will be very good, and then he will have a silly 10 minutes which spoils it. Primarily went to see this as Damien Lewis plays Steve McQueen, love Mr L but wasn't sure he could pull off McQueen. He does but not for long enough, without trying not to post a spoiler. The film itself is fine as in Tarantino takes his time to tell the story and the cast are very good though not a huge fan of some of them generally, the acting is very good. The main issue with it, and it may not matter too much, apart from the silly 5 minutes just before the end, is that most people under 45/50 won't get a lot of the references and so they are lost, and certainly the ending will be.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Checked out the bafta nominated Stath Lets Flats. Who exactly would be guilty of nominating this puerile shite?

Banned
    Thanks
    Is Peaky Blinders meant to be some sort of spoof or...
    Last edited by Wolf; 26th August 2019 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Is Peaky Blinders meant to be some sort of spoof or...
    Never watched it so don’t relate to the hysteria about it. I’m a Poldark fan so in deep mourning not that’s it’s finished. I hope they revive it in a few years time with the same actors to complete the books (in the books Winston Graham wrote there is a considerable gap). So well adapted, cast and acted. I do get that fans have been disappointed by this series as Debbie Horsfield wrote it rather than Graham but barring the PCness the BBC insist on, it was OK.

Watched Sanditon on Sunday. IMO poor. Badly cast, dialogue not great and some serious errors including the ball. And the sets and CGI did not look realistic. Shame as Andrew Davies is generally excellent with his adaptations.

Thanks
    Have never watched Peaky Blinders.

In some ways I preferred the original series of Poldark to the new one but I still liked the new one. However I felt the new one had jumped the shark a bit in the last series as it seemed to diverge even more from what I remember of the books and felt it was getting a bit too preachy.

Currently watching Callan series 1-4, near the end of series 3 at the moment.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Never watched it so don’t relate to the hysteria about it. I’m a Poldark fan so in deep mourning not that’s it’s finished. I hope they revive it in a few years time with the same actors to complete the books (in the books Winston Graham wrote there is a considerable gap). So well adapted, cast and acted. I do get that fans have been disappointed by this series as Debbie Horsfield wrote it rather than Graham but barring the PCness the BBC insist on, it was OK.

Watched Sanditon on Sunday. IMO poor. Badly cast, dialogue not great and some serious errors including the ball. And the sets and CGI did not look realistic. Shame as Andrew Davies is generally excellent with his adaptations.
    Not a Poldark fan myself, but do remember watching some episodes of the original, probably in the 70s. I watched Peaky Blinders recently because a friend of mine raved about it - goodness knows why - I find it almost comical, especially the poor Brummie accents and things like the Billy Boys? breaking into song But at least Sophie Rundle is in it and that brings back good memories of Gentleman Jack which was superb.

I did watch some of Sanditon, but must admit that was mainly because of the poor reason that I know the place ( Uphill) in Somerset where a lot of it was filmed.

In short: not a fan of any of the above, but looking forward to the return of Gentleman Jack and the fabulous Suranne Jones.

Thanks
    Gentleman Jack was superb. Probably the standout drama of the year for me. Suranne Jones was utterly brilliant in it.

Thanks
    I find it difficult to believe that Suranne Jones could be brilliant at anything - maybe a modern day adaptation of The Wooden Horse, where she plays the eponymous horse.

Terrible, terrible actress.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (28th August 2019)

Thanks
    Each to their own, I guess but I thought her role as GJ incredible.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    I find it difficult to believe that Suranne Jones could be brilliant at anything - maybe a modern day adaptation of The Wooden Horse, where she plays the eponymous horse.

Terrible, terrible actress.
    She was a good Tardis....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks