Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: True tales from the betting ring.

Thanks
    Thanks for the head's up, is it possible to read on-line? True my tales are a little 'twee' but they were written for the local paper. Maybe I should start writing some 'racier' pieces for the blog!

Thanks
    Or you could put several together within a novel, Simon, add in a conspiracy and a couple of deaths in 'suspicious circumstances', and climb aboard the old Dick Francis/John Francome wagon! We've had the jockey as hero with them - why not a hero exchange worker? He spots some very dodgy patterns, his boss strangely doesn't want to investiage them, he goes off in his own time to track down the people behind them...

Perhaps asking one of the boys to investigate in their own time would be the most incredulous part of the book, but otherwise!

(I have sent you a PM, btw. Only 19% commission as your agent... )
    Last edited by krizon; 1st January 2011 at 9:36 PM.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Gearoid
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Nott View Post
    Thanks for the head's up, is it possible to read on-line? True my tales are a little 'twee' but they were written for the local paper. Maybe I should start writing some 'racier' pieces for the blog!
    No but I will try and get you a few of them together and send them to you, if you're interested.

Last edited by Gearoid; 2nd January 2011 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    Gearoid, yes I am very interested thanks. Krizon, thanks I only just noticed your mail (being a novice here) I am about to read it now.

Thanks
    I'm sure you could rummage around in the ol' memory bank and possibly find one or two racy stories at least!
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Gearoid
    The Irish Field - Saturday, January 1, 2011
    Ring Tones by Donal McCarthy

Pandorama gamble wipes out the layers

A WELCOME return to action at Lopardstown last Tuesday and punters weren’t too long going to the front after So Young landed an impressive success in the opening maiden hurdle.

Diligent punter took due cognisance of the fact that he had recorded three AQPS wins in French provinces and only weighed in with bets of €4,000 to €2,000 twice and €1,500 to €800 five times. So Young carried bookmaker Luke McMahon’s blue and yellow colours. I knew him when he made a monkey book at Sligo years ago!

Fool’s Wildcat at 6/1 was an ordinary result for the bookmakers in the handicap hurdle, attracting bets of €5,000 to €800 each-way twice near the off in a race where at the top of the market Tadgh was the subject of solid support including bets of €8000 to €2,000 three times each-way.

It was hard work for bookmakers but they preformed a Houdini like escape in the next when got both Thegreatjohnbrowne (€6,000 to €2,000 three time) and Quito De La Rogue (€8,000 to €2,000, €7,000 to €2,000 three times) beaten in the three mile novice. Victory went to the unconsidered 100/7 poke Bostons Angel who stayed on dourly to give the layers some valuable breathing space after just three races.

Mourad took them back a bit after landing the Grade 2 three-miler at 7/4, although strangely enough, most of the bookmakers present were happy to see the back of recent Cork winner Mssey Joe, a horse who was the subject of an audacious gamble from an early show of 7/1 during morning trading to a returned 10/3, with money seen all round Limerick, Charleville and Mallow. One on-course layer reported that he had laid a €20,000 to €4,000 each-way before racing to “to a client”. Odds of around 14/1 for the winner for the World Hurdle look about right, no need for big Bucks to lose sleep just yet!

It was then on to the featured Lexus Chase where Pandorama landed a thumping gamble at the track, with word circulating around the enclosures from early afternoon regarding his wellbeing. Bookmakers looked to have priced it right when they went 6/1 off the show. However, that was simply too big a price for one team of professionals who steamed in with numerous bets to win five grand and were happy to take any 5/1 the balance. The public watching this frantic activity joined in the fun and the sheer weight of money forced the horse through the rates to a returned 7/2. A great result for connections but a wipe-out for layers, with one rails operator showing a loss just shy of 20 ‘big un’s’ on the race. Serious dough indeed, and with only two races to go, the chase was truly on.

Market Leader
    They went further behind in the next when the Meade trained Prima Vista made a mockery of his rating by sluicing up in the two-mile handicap. Bets of €3,250 to €1,000 twice, 6,000 to €2,000 twice and €3,000 to €1,000 four times, ensured he went off a strong 3/1 market leader. A maelstrom of emotions after the race, elation amongst the punters for their adroitness in selecting the winner, recriminations amongst the layers for their impulsiveness in standing the horse for far too much, and inner angst for the handicapper for his benevolence in awarding the winner a mark of 110 in the race. Little doubt the heads on the invigilator’s abacus will be smoking as he attempts to figure out a suitable reward for his success.

Racing finished with a result for the bookmakers when 7/1 chance Star Neuville came through to land the bumper. A busy race with strong support seen all afternoon for the Edward O’Grady trained Celtic Cub who attracted bets €5,000 to €2,000 three times, €4,500 to €2,000 twice and €900 to €400 six times. Bookmakers were also busy with Champagne Agent with bets seen for the horse of €4,000 to €2,000 four times near the off, including late office support.

A volatile day in the ring but with heavily-backed winners in So Young, Pandorama and Prima Vista all obliging, punters were deemed to have had the best of the exchanges on day one of the Christmas festival at Leopardstown. Even that screamer in the bumper came too late to save the layers with one of the members commenting, “I did everything the right way today and still managed to lose 10 large.

A strange business the bookmaking, sometimes you can’t do anything about the results, just keep your head down and hope don’t get hit!
    Last edited by Gearoid; 2nd January 2011 at 8:07 PM.

Thanks
    This one has never been published, I used it as a competition entry back in 2002 but never made the frame. It as actually 100% true. It is different from the others but sadly no sex though maybe there is a historical novel there to be written. http://wp.me/p1dLbd-J

Thanks Georoid, excellent, I appreciate you taking the time to post them. I write a column in 'Racing Ahead' where I can get away with a bit more and do mention some bets.
    Last edited by Simon Nott; 3rd January 2011 at 9:03 AM.

Thanks
    I think we should be told...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Leader View Post
    I'm sure you could rummage around in the ol' memory bank and possibly find one or two racy stories at least!
    Have those Jilly Cooper books got to you!

Thanks
    No need Si, we know a better source than Jilly for racy stories!!!! Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.....
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Another gentle tale. http://wp.me/1dLbd

Thanks
    A very short tale a little different from the others but true none the less from 2003.

http://wp.me/p1dLbd-U

Thanks
    This month my article wasn't used in Racing Ahead, don't know why so have posted it on-line instead. Comments welcomed.

http://wp.me/p1dLbd-W
    Last edited by Simon Nott; 24th January 2011 at 1:58 PM.

Thanks
    Simon, you asked for comments...

You could still do with a bit more proofreading! It's 'exciting', not 'exiting' (I thought that was another example of Americanised commentary), and it's ZEBRANO, not 'Zebrand', and one or two other minor literals. Your Spellchecker won't help you with exciting and exiting, as both are correctly spelled, just not contextual. When Microsoft brings out a GrammarNanny, proofreaders will be able to go home!

I think this last story was just a bit less interesting than the others, probably because there was no one strong character or theme throughout - one or two giggly asides like Tracksuit Man (was it Stumpy Dave?) and the Tales from the Scales, but perhaps not enough of a strong theme - more like a running commentary on the day. Not quite sure what the 'true tale' was here. It was more like an account. I also think that at times you really need a name - even a nickname - for featured people. If not, there isn't that little personal 'hook' on which the story hangs - it's more a broad-brush sketch than detail.

For me, the past master of racing tales, many of which were true but disguised as fiction, is still O. Henry. The stories are longer, yes, but there are strong characters such as the Lemon Drop Kid throughout - people you can depend upon meeting again and again as you read the different stories. I recognise that you're making factual accounts, rather than fictional tales, but to popularise the stories, people have to give a damn about some aspect of them. If you've found a charismatic bookie who you can give a name to (not necessarily his real one), and a couple of strong 'faces' on whom you can hook the stories, then there's a more immediate interest. It's like most popular series of books these days, from Mma Ramotswe in the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series to John Francome or Dick Francis's novels, or Dirty Harry or Rambo in films: while I've quoted fiction, it still applies to fact - lead characters pull the stories behind them.

(For further comments, please send ssae and cheque for £25.)

Oh, a PS: have you thought of bunging off any of these or other stories to Eclipse magazine ("the lighter side of racing", etc.). Shadow Leader has a very good friend on it, renowned for her stunning photographs. Just ask Shadz to get you an entree...
    Last edited by krizon; 24th January 2011 at 7:25 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krizon View Post
    For me, the past master of racing tales, many of which were true but disguised as fiction, is still O. Henry. The stories are longer, yes, but there are strong characters such as the Lemon Drop Kid throughout - people you can depend upon meeting again and again as you read the different stories.
    Damon Runyon, shirley?
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Don't call me Shirley! Jeez, that just does prove the need for proofreading! How nuts is that - I was reading some old OH's last night and have the book right in front of me. Completely weird how one author sprang onto the page instead of the one I meant! Yes, love Runyon's guys 'telling the tale'. My mother had his stories and I loved them - wonder where those books went? I think I'll try to find them in a secondhand books store and read them again.

(You scored a straight 10 on the Balls-O-Meter, by the way.)

Thanks
    Say... anyone want a large book of 100 Stories by O. Henry?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krizon View Post
    Oh, a PS: have you thought of bunging off any of these or other stories to Eclipse magazine ("the lighter side of racing", etc.). Shadow Leader has a very good friend on it, renowned for her stunning photographs. Just ask Shadz to get you an entree...
    And you score a large saucer of milk for that!
    handsome is as handsome does

Thanks
    Purr-purr-purrrr... scratch... naughty kitty!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rorydelargy View Post
    Damon Runyon, shirley?
    Indeed, rory.

I can only imagine that circumstances conspired somewhat against Krizon, and all this and that and whatnot, and she found herself tapped on the noggin with a Betsy and placed inside a burlap sack - as is apt to happen to tomatoes now and again in this man's town.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 24th January 2011 at 8:25 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018